Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Maxwell Lord posted:

If you took out every borrowed word you'd have very little left. Use whatever has been in common usage (so long as it fits your style.)

Oh yeah, definitely, it's just something that I've become conscious of lately. Generally, I'll just use it anyway, but if it's a phrase or combination of words, I'll try to figure out some kind of alternative instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

I've seen worse writing advice than this:

Will Ludwigsen’s Foul-Mouthed Writer’s Checklist

• Is there some sign that the writer gave a poo poo about this story, put something personal in it?
  • Is it told in a voice more engaging than an rear end in a top hat zombie groaning for brains?
  • Does something loving interesting happen, performed on the page with action and quotes and all that poo poo?
  • Does the main character DO anything or does he/she stand around with a thumb up his/her rear end?
  • Does the main character feel or learn a goddamned thing at the end?
  • Does the manuscript look like someone smarter than a loving monkey put it together?
  • Does the reader give a gently caress at the end?
  • Does the story go any deeper than the usual superficial bullshit that coddles dumbasses?

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
I feel like I should get that tattooed somewhere.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Great Rumbler posted:

I even get a little antsy about using commonly used words that were recently derived from other languages in my own writing. Like "hors d'oeuvre." Just about any native English speaker knows what it means, but it just feels...wrong...to use it in some fantasy world with no connection to the real world.

I don't understand this. It's just like if you were writing a book in English that was set in France. You just write it in English using whatever words express the concept best, because although the book may be about French people it's not written for French people, so you don't include literal translations of French idioms or whatever, you just express the concept as an English-speaker would.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Molly Bloom posted:

Chillmatic I will never stop recommending Michael Chabon's 'Yiddish Policemen's Union'.
I'm going to come back to this post for a second. About two pages into this book, I started bookmarking every little piece of language I loved. I gave that up less than half-way through when I realised I had one on almost every page.

Get this book. Get it now.

quote:

Rabbi Heskel Shpilman is a deformed mountain, a giant ruined dessert, a cartoon house with the windows shut and the sink left running.
Look at that. loving look at it.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!
Bragging time: I sold my first short story of 2013 yesterday. This marks my fifth short story sale so far and it's my first pro-rate (five cents a word or more, more in this case) sale. I haven't signed the contract yet so I don't want to mention the market but it is a very well known sci-fi/fantasy market. I'll post more details once the contract is signed.

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW

Gary the Llama posted:

Bragging time: I sold my first short story of 2013 yesterday. This marks my fifth short story sale so far and it's my first pro-rate (five cents a word or more, more in this case) sale. I haven't signed the contract yet so I don't want to mention the market but it is a very well known sci-fi/fantasy market. I'll post more details once the contract is signed.

Thanks for wasting our time by wasting your time. You could have submitted twice more while writing that.

Order of events: Read. Submit. Write.

Or die, plox.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Look at that. loving look at it.

What are you wearing?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
This thread is not Thunderdome II. Please keep the conversation constructive or there will be consequences.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Yeah, that happened to me as well, so much of English is based on words imported or derived from other languages, so should I really be using words derived from Latin in a world where there was no Latin? I decided "screw it, I'll just use English, borrowed words be damned." I would just end up driving myself and the readers nuts if I tried to work around that.

You could go the Gene Wolfe route and use words that are obscure and archaic - it works very well in Book of the New Sun.

Edit:

quote:

•Is there some sign that the writer gave a poo poo about this story, put something personal in it?

•Is it told in a voice more engaging than an rear end in a top hat zombie groaning for brains?

•Does something loving interesting happen, performed on the page with action and quotes and all that poo poo?

•Does the main character DO anything or does he/she stand around with a thumb up his/her rear end?

•Does the main character feel or learn a goddamned thing at the end?

•Does the manuscript look like someone smarter than a loving monkey put it together?

•Does the reader give a gently caress at the end?

•Does the story go any deeper than the usual superficial bullshit that coddles dumbasses?

These are great advice.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

sebmojo posted:

You could go the Gene Wolfe route and use words that are obscure and archaic - it works very well in Book of the New Sun.
I've got a wonderfully loony Victorian dictionary somewhere, written by a bloke who wanted to purge the English language of foul Latin, so it's made up of alternatives to Latin words using Anglo-Saxon/Germanic roots instead.

OK, he was probably some ghastly proto-Nazi Nordic supremacist, but it's a great source of words that sound familiar but kind of archaic and unusual.

ETA: Lost Beauties of the English Language, by Charles Mackay. Huh, I'd forgotten he was the same guy who wrote Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds....

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 3, 2013

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW
I was talking about doing it in TD, but here would be better I think. Once Stuporstar gets done being a coding nerd, she'll have more time. Maybe she can recreate this thread with a new OP, and we can all collect a few of our favorite articles to be linked in there. Dump the info for writing from her resources thread (which you should all check out if you haven't) along with whatever else we find that's useful.

theworstname
Jun 9, 2011

Spider Robinson's posterior.
The perfect Human at (3:24) succinctly conveys some things to consider when making characters.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Runcible Cat posted:

I've got a wonderfully loony Victorian dictionary somewhere, written by a bloke who wanted to purge the English language of foul Latin, so it's made up of alternatives to Latin words using Anglo-Saxon/Germanic roots instead.

OK, he was probably some ghastly proto-Nazi Nordic supremacist, but it's a great source of words that sound familiar but kind of archaic and unusual.

ETA: Lost Beauties of the English Language, by Charles Mackay. Huh, I'd forgotten he was the same guy who wrote Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds....

Thanks for the name. It's certainly an interesting idea, but after taking a look at that, I'm not sure I can use too many words from there. They're just too obscure, and avoiding Latin words completely is not worth confusing the reader - even with obscure words in a modern dictionary.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
What are people's thoughts on epigraphs, particularly for short stories? I don't plan on using them all the time, of course, but sometimes I'll be reading something and come across a quote that just perfectly summarizes the "heart" of a story.

Is it considered pretentious / looked down upon to use them for shorter pieces? And would it cause any trouble if I ever wanted to ship a piece around for publication?

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
I personally hate them, but almost a third of the stories I read in workshops use em. In my books, the heart of your story doesn't need some rear end in a top hat's quote to be made apparent (or if it does, then that's a failure on your part as a writer). Can they set the tone? Sure, but I find that 99% of the time they look like the author is trying to inject some authority into their piece. Check out this loving Hemingway quote about man's nature, now read my poo poo which is probably pretty good too.

They look like a celebrity endorsement to a lovely product. And often it's a dead celebrity.

That's my pessimistic opinion.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I thought about using epigraphs once, but I probably wouldn't today. As with a lot of things in writing, some people can really pull it off well, but most people won't. So, I'd say that it's only something I would use if I was totally convinced that it wouldn't come across as some kind of cheap "celebrity endorsement" like Mike Works said.

I guess it would really come down to what you're trying to accomplish. Do you genuinely feel that it will contribute to your story in a meaningful way, or are you trying to add some weight to your story by connecting it to famous quotes by better writers than yourself?

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
My intent with this particular piece (I'll toss it up for crit when I finish, since it would be easier to judge then) is for the quote to suggest a new perspective by which to view the narrative from. In other words, reading it normally will give one impression, while reading it with the epigraph in mind would (hopefully) give another.

Then again I suppose leading the reader by the nose like that might be a bad idea, and I definitely don't want it to come off like I'm trying to make some dead guy shill for me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Epigraphs are cheap and gratuitous and I love them to loving pieces, who wants to fight me

I think they're just a harmless indulgence, so long as they're brief.

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!

Honey Badger posted:

What are people's thoughts on epigraphs, particularly for short stories? I don't plan on using them all the time, of course, but sometimes I'll be reading something and come across a quote that just perfectly summarizes the "heart" of a story.

Is it considered pretentious / looked down upon to use them for shorter pieces? And would it cause any trouble if I ever wanted to ship a piece around for publication?

I'm fond of them, myself, though I acknowledge that all the criticism above has its merits. At best, an epigraph can be rather like a book cover or a piece of artwork, it can set the tone for the work ahead, set up what the key theme is. (And sometimes, of course, it can just be funny.)

For instance, if you were using the ancient line about friendship being a single soul dwelling in two bodies, you would telegraph to your audience that this is a story about (surprise!) friendship, and should be viewed through that lens—or you can subvert that expectation if your characters do nothing but bicker, or if you were writing a sci-fi story about a divided soul, or something.

Regarding publication — be aware that epigraphs are a special case, and often you need to get permission to use a quote as an epigraph when it would ordinarily be fair within the context of the story. If your source is public domain anyway it's not a problem either way.

Icon-Cat fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 5, 2013

theworstname
Jun 9, 2011

The epigraph is a coat-hanger that you hang your story on. They are more for your (the writers) benefit than the readers.
Start with a epigraph, write your story or chapter down, and if you still think it is looking good after the final draft, leave it in.

Icon-Cat posted:

if you were writing a sci-fi story about a divided soul, or something.

Souls? In science-fiction? :colbert:
Souls are the domain of Science-Fiction's older hunchbacked brother Fantasy, and their beautiful but mildly retarded inbred offspring Science-Fantasy.

STONE OF MADNESS
Dec 28, 2012

PVTREFACTIO

theworstname posted:

Souls are the domain of Science-Fiction's older hunchbacked brother Fantasy, and their beautiful but mildly retarded inbred offspring Science-Fantasy.
A bold claim. I can think of quite a few SF titans who were obsessed with souls, or at the very least with their absence - if you're talking about latter-day writers who just like to sperg on about tech then maybe you have a point..?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yeah, the nature of the human soul when confronted with the untold mysteries of the universe is pretty well-trodden sci-fi ground.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

theworstname posted:

Souls of the dead possess the living and the living's biotech. (It's awesome up until the lovely ending, if anyone's curious.)

theworstname
Jun 9, 2011

STONE OF MADNESS posted:

A bold claim. I can think of quite a few SF titans who were obsessed with souls, or at the very least with their absence - if you're talking about latter-day writers who just like to sperg on about tech then maybe you have a point..?

If it is a science-fiction setting that treats souls as quantifiable, accountable stuff rather than just the ruminations of the characters I would argue that it is in fact science-fantasy.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

theworstname posted:

If it is a science-fiction setting that treats souls as quantifiable, accountable stuff rather than just the ruminations of the characters I would argue that it is in fact science-fantasy.
I think you may be being a bit strict about your fictional science there; do you also consider anything involving FTL travel to be science fantasy?

(Yeah, I know there's no Officially Sanctioned Definition of where the line lies, I'm just curious about where people draw it.)

theworstname
Jun 9, 2011

Runcible Cat posted:

I think you may be being a bit strict about your fictional science there; do you also consider anything involving FTL travel to be science fantasy?

That is a very good question. Yes, I do consider anything involving FTL as science-fantasy.

Mind, this is a strictly personal perspective.

theworstname fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 5, 2013

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Runcible Cat posted:

(Yeah, I know there's no Officially Sanctioned Definition of where the line lies, I'm just curious about where people draw it.)

I like Robert Heinlein's definiton: "a handy short definition of almost all science fiction might read: realistic speculation about possible future events, based solidly on adequate knowledge of the real world, past and present, and on a thorough understanding of the nature and significance of the scientific method."

I'm also OK with FTL as long as it's set far enough in the future (or there are sufficiently advanced aliens), because there's no way to know which impossible things might be everyday realities in a thousand years, as long as it works in a plausible and consistent manner.

Same goes for souls. Maybe they really exist, but if they do then it must be in a way that's consistent with what we already know about the nature of reality. As long as souls are plausible and consistent, then I'm OK with them being in sci-fi. But if, for example, you swap a soul from one body into another and it takes the personality and memories with it, well, we know that the brain is where those come from, so unless that was also somehow duplicated then you've moved into fantasy.

This is pretty much a hypothetical though since I can't think of any sci-fi that included the existence of souls that met my criteria.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Honey Badger posted:

I'm too nervous about the quality of my writing to do something like preface with a quote from someone else. I don't want the reader, even for a moment, thinking about how they'd rather be reading something by, say, Hemingway. I'm wary of even putting the 'hey, I could be reading X instead' thought in someone's head for a short story.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Oh man, personal definitions of genres! I love this! Personally, I draw the line for Feminist Sci-Fi when any female characters are included in a sci-fi story. I once read a story that would be hard SF but there was a girl dog in it :3: so it's Feminist Sci-Fi to me.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think you can get away with a quote if it's not too obvious or on-the-nose. Something that hints at the theme of the story without necessarily giving away what's going to happen.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
The worst is in-world quotes.

And the greatest among ye, rise from the smool and wield the power axe against your enemies, for if your strength is naught surely no manmonkey can withstand them.

-- Verse from a sermon given by the High Lord Executioner P'Fluthmoz to the Bhagavad Hot Carl before the great Ceremony of Noogies

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

And the greatest among ye, rise from the smool and wield the power axe against your enemies, for if your strength is naught surely no manmonkey can withstand them.

-- Verse from a sermon given by the High Lord Executioner P'Fluthmoz to the Bhagavad Hot Carl before the great Ceremony of Noogies

I dunno, the chapter headings in Dune are kind of cool.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Maxwell Lord posted:

I was gonna say this exact thing. Really added to the immersion for me.

Too bad Herbet went whacky with his second novel.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, I liked those, too. The only other book I can think of off-hand that had epigraphs was Starship Troopers, which used them pretty well, I thought.

theworstname
Jun 9, 2011

Philip K. Dick uses epigraphs quite effectively in his novel Ubik.
Sande Cohen and R. L. Rutsky go into some detail about it in Consumption in an Age of Information around page 33. :siren:SPOILER:siren:

Martello posted:

Oh man, personal definitions of genres! I love this! Personally, I draw the line for Feminist Sci-Fi when any female characters are included in a sci-fi story. I once read a story that would be hard SF but there was a girl dog in it :3: so it's Feminist Sci-Fi to me.

Touché. Tiggum did make some interesting points though.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I dunno, I think in-world quotes are only time I can stand epigraphs. Say you're following around a religious character and the start of every chapter in which they take action in has a relevant quote from their bible; to me, that adds to the immersion. Unless their bible is like, "JesusFrank answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the FatherMikey except through me. Also, I'm the truth, yo," because it's just going to sour me on the work entirely and make me put down the book.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Another (sorta) example of where in-world epigraphs are perfectly utilized is Anathem by Neal Stephenson, where he begins a lot of sections and scenes with definitions of made-up terms straight from the in-world dictionary.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Fair enough..

I'm thinking of stuff I read and think "that's pretty silly," like a quote by one of the characters or some history that has nothing to do with the story being told. I can't think of anything specific though so ignore me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

In-world epigraphs can be retarded as poo poo though, cf. Erikson. Sometimes it can try to add to the world but be a craps shoot, like with the Otherland books.

But for short fiction, poo poo, I've used them in at least half my work. The thing is, it's not usually some officious loving Falkner quote or something, it's usually just a lyric or line of dialogue or joke that inspired part/some/all of the story to help set the tone (or, for brevity lovers, be the point of the piece).

• Locked thread