Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
It doesn't *seem* to be on Daily Motion from my searching. I will fully admit that I might be looking at the wrong search terms, but I've tired several sets of what I figure would be the right keywords. Mostly I seem to be getting the match itself from the PPV before that, or the build up of the Stephanie/Trish feud that it was a part of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I always find it odd on Smackdown when they cut to a wide shot of the audience with the entranceway in view, usually at the moment they're expecting a giant pop/people to be jumping to their feet, and the people clearly aren't reacting (to the extent that the audio makes it appear they are). Since it is a taped show, I always figured if they didn't get the,"YEAAAAHHHH!" reaction they were looking for they could just use a different camera angle so it isn't quite as obvious audio-sweetening.
Or even get a bunch of shots of fans freaking out at the start of the show and then re-use them so they're actually, like, standing and cheering.

The People's Elbow flourish started, I believe, when Rock was corporate champion and McMahon's stooge. It was for cheap heat. Then people started popping for it because Rock is Rock. So they started treating it like a real finishing move. It was the Five-Knuckle-Shuffle of its day, really. People have always hated it, but there was a time when NOBODY kicked out of it, so like any move that gets gravitas from booking, it was pretty much fine for everybody who isn't a huge pedant like myself.

And Will Sasso wrestled Bret on Nitro because Sasso was a giant wrestling fan and WCW did a crossover angle. Sasso supposedly "went off script" in a skit on Mad TV with Bret Hart, making him look kind of stupid. He then yelled, "You wanna' write stuff into the scrupt, Sasso? Write this into the script!" and attacked Sasso with a plastic folding chair. The next Nitro, Sasso just randomly came out for a match and Tony and the announcers basically just recapped what had happened. It received zero promotion and did nothing for anybody.

That Nitro was also notable for being the debut of Blitzkreig, a masked wrestler whose biggest accomplishment is being remembered fondly despite only having about ten televised matches because his flippy-dos were so awesome. He also had a condition WCW.com called "photo reflexes", which was probably just Chad Damiani making up bullshit.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

LividLiquid posted:

That Nitro was also notable for being the debut of Blitzkreig, a masked wrestler whose biggest accomplishment is being remembered fondly despite only having about ten televised matches because his flippy-dos were so awesome. He also had a condition WCW.com called "photo reflexes", which was probably just Chad Damiani making up bullshit.

Seriously? I remember a good dozen or so matches with Blitzkrieg, so I'm probably forgetting some too.

But yeah, his flippyshit was awesome, especially when he teamed with La Parka.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LividLiquid posted:

Taskmaster. They stole that from Marvel comics.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

poo poo, I used to tune into Nitro *just* to see Blitzkrieg. That dude was insane.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm partial to the Owen Hart tribute match that Bret and Benoit had on Nitro when it comes to his great matches.

And yes, Blitzkrieg is totally awesome. His match with Juvi at Spring Stampede 1999 is kinda neat even if it seems like Juvi is being a dick on purpose, and he absolutely murders Blitzkrieg with a Juvidriver from the top turnbuckle.

edit: if you guys want I could put all his matches up on youtube. Maybe make a little WCW Luchadors thread with all the lesser known guys.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

WCW Luchadores thread would be my favourite thread of all time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MrBling posted:

I'm partial to the Owen Hart tribute match that Bret and Benoit had on Nitro when it comes to his great matches.

And yes, Blitzkrieg is totally awesome. His match with Juvi at Spring Stampede 1999 is kinda neat even if it seems like Juvi is being a dick on purpose, and he absolutely murders Blitzkrieg with a Juvidriver from the top turnbuckle.

edit: if you guys want I could put all his matches up on youtube. Maybe make a little WCW Luchadors thread with all the lesser known guys.

Spring Stampede is the last truly great WCW PPV. It was pretty awesome from opener to main event. It also has DDP winning his first title.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

Spring Stampede is the last truly great WCW PPV. It was pretty awesome from opener to main event. It also has DDP winning his first title.
I was at that show, and it was incredible. The main event finish made zero sense, but I saw DDP turn heel to win his first title, and I got to see Blitzkreig wrestle Juvi live. It was rad.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Flare_knight posted:

It doesn't *seem* to be on Daily Motion from my searching. I will fully admit that I might be looking at the wrong search terms, but I've tired several sets of what I figure would be the right keywords. Mostly I seem to be getting the match itself from the PPV before that, or the build up of the Stephanie/Trish feud that it was a part of.

If you still can't find it tomorrow I'll rip it and find a way to get it to you.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

I was at that show, and it was incredible. The main event finish made zero sense, but I saw DDP turn heel to win his first title, and I got to see Blitzkreig wrestle Juvi live. It was rad.

When did WCW's main events ever make sense?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

bobkatt013 posted:

When did WCW's main events ever make sense?

Goldberg defeating Hogan at the Georgiadome.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm just going through the videos and in his first match the on-screen graphics read "Blitzcreig".

A literal lol was had.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

LividLiquid posted:

And Will Sasso wrestled Bret on Nitro because Sasso was a giant wrestling fan and WCW did a crossover angle. Sasso supposedly "went off script" in a skit on Mad TV with Bret Hart, making him look kind of stupid. He then yelled, "You wanna' write stuff into the scrupt, Sasso? Write this into the script!" and attacked Sasso with a plastic folding chair. The next Nitro, Sasso just randomly came out for a match and Tony and the announcers basically just recapped what had happened. It received zero promotion and did nothing for anybody.
I remember watching another Mad TV where Hot Rod tried to be the mediator between the two, but then he turned on Will.

The worst crossover between a Sketch Show and Wrestling was Carlos Mencia and Edge on Mind of Mencia. :gonk:

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

MrBling posted:

Offering a resounding "hell yes" for this. Maybe a general WCW's cool midcarders thread, since apparently some pretty good talent went underutilized there.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrBling posted:

Do that. Please do both of those things.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

LvK posted:

Offering a resounding "hell yes" for this. Maybe a general WCW's cool midcarders thread, since apparently some pretty good talent went underutilized there.

You say some and you mean all.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

does anyone know which Ric Flair/Ricky Steamboat match(es) is/are generally considered their best?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

The last great WCW PPV was their final PPV, Greed. It is a great show. There wasn't a single good show between Spring Stampede 99 and Greed 2001 though.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Cardboard Box posted:

does anyone know which Ric Flair/Ricky Steamboat match(es) is/are generally considered their best?

The generally accepted answer to this is the 1989 trilogy in Crockett, all of which are across the board rated as ***** matches including by the Meltz. In order that would be Chi-Town Rumble in February, Clash of the Champions VI: Rajin' Cajun in April, and WrestleWar 89: Music City Showdown in May.

Flair and Steamboat have both said that their best matches were actually on house shows that weren't taped for broadcast (although fancams exist), and Meltzer once gave a Flair/Steamboat house show match *****1/2+ (not a typo).

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I'll have to see if I can find those matches, then. thanks!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cardboard Box posted:

I'd love to get an enthusiast's opinion regarding Flair/Race, as well.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Cardboard Box posted:

I'll have to see if I can find those matches, then. thanks!

You can find all three on the The Ultimate Ric Flair Collection, Steamboat DVD, and Rise and Fall of WCW

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Halloween Jack posted:

Everything that's available is good or better, but there isn't anything at the level of Flair/Steamboat matches and there isn't a lot available.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I liked the Starrcade 83 cage match because it culminated Race's last (real) reign as NWA champ with the bounty angle, but it has Kiniski as ref and a really lovely finish.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

jeffersonlives posted:

Flair and Steamboat have both said that their best matches were actually on house shows that weren't taped for broadcast (although fancams exist), and Meltzer once gave a Flair/Steamboat house show match *****1/2+ (not a typo).

Which to me is still the funniest thing ever.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CVagts posted:

I liked the Starrcade 83 cage match because it culminated Race's last (real) reign as NWA champ with the bounty angle, but it has Kiniski as ref and a really lovely finish.

Fuckin' Harley Race.

Halloween Jack posted:

I really loved the poo poo out of the match that has the Double Chickenwing Submission and ends with Flair getting pinned JUST before time expires but he has his foot on the ropes.

edit: the Rajun' Cajun' one.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 4, 2013

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

I think Roberts said the same thing about his matches with Steamboat, and that it was an amazing match every night even while he was wrestling through a hosed-up neck.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

bartok posted:

Why did Bret Hart have to wrestle MAD TV's Will Sasso on Nitro? Was there a build up to the match on MAD TV? At the time it seemed pretty random and a waste of Bret's talents and time.

WCW: Pretty random and a waste of Bret Hart's talent & time

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
What was the general consensus of the Attitude-era midcard back in the day? I know that the midcard that immediately followed (02-04) is pretty widely regarded as one of the best ever, but I've been curious what the opinion was about guys like Venis, Shamrock, Taka, D'lo, Godfather, Gangrel, Blackman, etc... not really the guys who went on to become big names in their own right.

I just started watching the attitude era again for the first time since the first go around, and back in the day when I was living through it I really hated Val Venis but loved guys like Taka, D'lo, and Gangrel. Looking back on it now Taka and D'lo hold up pretty well, but Gangrel was kinda lame and as much as I hated Val Venis when I was younger(I thought his gimmick was stupid) I now realize he was a pretty solid wrestler.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I remember that MAD TV episode being really uncomfortable to watch. Bret is just not that great at those sorts of things to begin with, but when they start having him attacking Sasso 'for real' the tone of the entire thing switches. Wrestling angles outside of a wrestling situation are always so bizarre, because non-fans never know how to react to them.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

WCW: Pretty random and a waste of Bret Hart's talent & time

"Hey, we got one of the biggest celebrities from Canada now on our roster and we're paying him millions of dollars. He could draw 15,000 in an arena anywhere in Canada right now and due to a very low dollar, we could jack up the prices and Canadians will still pay for it. Let's not run in Canada at all in 1998."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Question: In shoot interviews, Dustin Runnels said that he wasn't enthusiastic about the Goldust gimmick, and took it because he needed work--but now it defines his career, and it seems that he's only enthusiastic about wrestling when he's doing Goldust--he's done a couple "Goldust, only darker" gimmicks in other promotions and it never worked out. Are there any other examples of someone taking a gimmick they didn't even care about and not only making it work, but making it their own and building their career around it?

(I have no idea how enthusiastic Mark Calloway was when he first got the Undertaker gimmick.)

LightsGameraAction posted:

What was the general consensus of the Attitude-era midcard back in the day? I know that the midcard that immediately followed (02-04) is pretty widely regarded as one of the best ever, but I've been curious what the opinion was about guys like Venis, Shamrock, Taka, D'lo, Godfather, Gangrel, Blackman, etc... not really the guys who went on to become big names in their own right.

I just started watching the attitude era again for the first time since the first go around, and back in the day when I was living through it I really hated Val Venis but loved guys like Taka, D'lo, and Gangrel. Looking back on it now Taka and D'lo hold up pretty well, but Gangrel was kinda lame and as much as I hated Val Venis when I was younger(I thought his gimmick was stupid) I now realize he was a pretty solid wrestler.
I don't know about general consensus, but my opinion at the time was that both WWF and WCW had better midcards than main events. The effect wasn't nearly as pronounced in WWF as it was in WC. There were some storylines I couldn't give a poo poo about (most of Val Venis' feuds), but I loved The Brood. Gangrel was mediocre but he had a great finisher, and he got a free pass because he was the reason I got to see Edge & Christian vs. the Hardy Boyz. (It's weird how well they managed to transcend their dark'n'edgy, action-horror movie character gimmicks. It's the kind of gimmick that could pigeonhole someone as a relic of a particular 3-year trend for his entire career.)

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Taker loved the gimmick from what I recall. He's big into occult/fantasy stuff. Or was at the time.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Taker loved the gimmick from what I recall. He's big into occult/fantasy stuff. Or was at the time.

I wonder if he ever had an airbrushed van.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

LightsGameraAction posted:

What's important to note about their midcard is that all of them had an active story going on. Every single one of them. So everyone on the midcard was over.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I Before E posted:

I wonder if he ever had an airbrushed van.

Taker's last match needs to feature a Rush cover of his theme song.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I think he didn't mind the gimmick but the stories I've heard are that Vince loved it and Taker wanted the job.

Which It's obvious how you would explain Undertakers gimmick and make it sound cool but I can't wrap my mind around how they explained Goldusts to him.

"We want you to be like.. your all.. dusted in gold. And creepy and aggressively confusing sexually."

"..."

"Like Marilyn Manson but golder."

"..."

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

Taker's last match needs to feature a Rush cover of his theme song.

Honestly, the first mental image I got was Taker, Kane, Mankind, and Paul Bearer playing D&D in a basement, with Bearer as DM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

It's hard to put the Goldust gimmick into words. If anyone was to ask, the only response would be "Well it's...Goldust."