Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ConanThe3rd posted:

Just to follow up on my shenanigans, called Google this morning and it was a fairly in and out process to get everything squared in-spite of it being out of the grace period.

I really thought I was going to be given the run around there.
There is no "grace period" for faulty goods in the UK.

Out of interest though, since I need to get an N7 swapped by them, did they cross-ship you a new device or did you need to send yours back first?

XIII posted:

So, I love my Nexus 7, but I've noticed that, like so many others out there, there's a little bit of give if I press gently on the left side of the screen. There isn't any screen lifting. I've only had it a couple weeks, so I don't see why I couldn't take it back by Staples, especially given how well documented it is. My main thing is: does it even matter? It doesn't bother me and it only happens if I make it happen.
It will almost certainly get worse. Mine started out with a little bit of movement and ended up being audibly creaky. Swap it while it's still easy for you to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Sweet, it's not respecting the "don't use wifi when not plugged in" setting. Here we are an hour and a half later and over that time it was turning wifi back on, all on its own. And Maps lit up the GPS 5x, too.

Fuckit, I'm wiping this and taking it back. I don't know why my Nexus 7 doesn't have this problem, it works fine with all the default settings.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

You've probably tried this but in the past, on certain routers I had all kinds of weirdness on Android devices if the router was set to WPA/WPA2 mixed. Locking onto one or the other cleared it up.

Yeah, it's always been WPA2 only.

Oddly enough, it's fine on my Fios action tech router which is set to mixed. I just keep it on the actiontech, which is fine.

My Nexus 10 and my phones like my buffalo router running tomato just fine.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Tunga posted:

It will almost certainly get worse. Mine started out with a little bit of movement and ended up being audibly creaky. Swap it while it's still easy for you to do so.
Poop. Ok, time to make a nandroid.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

kitten smoothie posted:

Since buying it last Friday I haven't let it get all the way down to zero battery, so I did that. Watched some videos on youtube with my kid till the battery died, and then charged overnight.

This morning I unplugged it and turned it on, and an hour later it had lost 2% battery. Still seeing Maps activity in the battery history, in spite of having turned off all the Latitude crap that Google Now had turned on automatically. Disabling Now altogether is a no-go, because I find Now to be pretty handy.

Trying this, and I also disabled Currents because it sucks anyway. Next I am charging it all the way back up again, and I'm going to let it sit all afternoon to see what it does.

I don't have any of these problems with my Nexus 7; that thing sips battery when I'm not using it.

If it's still draining like mad then I'm just going to return it. I bought it from Wal-Mart so as to avoid Google's $75 restocking fee, so it won't cost me anything to do it. And honestly I'm already starting to feel inclined to do so. This thing cost $500, and it should work without a bunch of computer janitoring and disabling a ton of stuff it had out of the box.

Swap it, and if the second one does the same, return it and get your money back.

EDIT: Should have read ahead. Looks like you already made your final decision.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 2, 2013

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Tunga posted:

There is no "grace period" for faulty goods in the UK.

Out of interest though, since I need to get an N7 swapped by them, did they cross-ship you a new device or did you need to send yours back first?

You get the replacement and it comes with the Shipping slip that you attach to whatever box you're using to ship the old one (The e-mail I got had a PDF for the RMA Form that has to go into the shipping box).

Failure to get it shipped within 21 days of the start of the process gets you slapped with the cost of the replacement, naturally.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 2, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ConanThe3rd posted:

You get the replacement and it comes with the Shipping slip that you attach to the old one (The e-mail I got had a PDF for the RMA Form that has to go into the shipping box).

Failure to get it shipped within 21 days of the start of the process gets you slapped with the cost of the replacement, naturally.
Thanks, that's perfect.

(Also, does anyone else think this sounds like a hilariously good way to skip the N4 queue?)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Tunga posted:

Thanks, that's perfect.

(Also, does anyone else think this sounds like a hilariously good way to skip the N4 queue?)

I doubt it, they ask for the item's id code so they'll catch on if you're trying them on for size.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
So, I've got a weird problem that I don't recall reading about anywhere...

My fiancee doesn't show up in my contact list when I try to search for her at all on my Nexus 7 in the "People" app...(I've tried first, middle, last name and email address...as well as phone number). I can only search for her in GMail (on the N7) if I search by her email address.

She DOES show up in the contact list in the People App, and I have no problem searching for her by first name on my iPhone or on GMail (website). I also don't recall this being an issue on any previous Android (or iOS) devices before I got my N7.

How on earth do I fix this?!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Daft suggestion but have you tried making another contact for her?

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Nabi XD looks like it could be a pretty decent regular tablet??

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nabi+-+XD+Tablet+with+16GB+Memory+-+White/Silver/7586047.p?id=1218853500840&skuId=7586047

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

How can a 10" tablet weigh 3.7 pounds? That's almost 3 times what the Nexus 10 weighs. It's also 1366x768 and 16:9 is a terrible aspect ratio for tablets.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Looks like it's being marketed as specifically for children, and accordingly built like a brick shithouse; if I were handing that to a 5- to 12-year-old I'd want the screen to be like an inch thick, and an absolutely rock-solid no-flex housing. It needs to survive neglect and rage-quitting. In the same vein, most young kids don't give a gently caress about aspect ratios and a little letterboxing on videos.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My favourite part is where it specifically calls out that it "weighs only 3.7 pounds for lightweight portability".

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Splizwarf posted:

Looks like it's being marketed as specifically for children, and accordingly built like a brick shithouse; if I were handing that to a 5- to 12-year-old I'd want the screen to be like an inch thick, and an absolutely rock-solid no-flex housing. It needs to survive neglect and rage-quitting. In the same vein, most young kids don't give a gently caress about aspect ratios and a little letterboxing on videos.
I think a good tablet in one of those child-proof cases would be a better deal.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

randyest posted:

I think a good tablet in one of those child-proof cases would be a better deal.

I have never seen anything that could be opened manually that was childproof. Do they make anything that requires solving a calculus riddle to be unlocked? :v:

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Splizwarf posted:

I have never seen anything that could be opened manually that was childproof. Do they make anything that requires solving a calculus riddle to be unlocked? :v:
If the kid is so out of control that they'll take a tablet out of the case then they'll certainly smash that heavy, unprotected tablet. Most likely kids that uncontrollable would be too young (and weak) to figure out how to pry the tablet out of the case. I don't now why you're so hellbent on thinking that heavy, overpriced, just-as-fragile-as-a-nexus tablet is somehow a good deal.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

randyest posted:

If the kid is so out of control that they'll take a tablet out of the case then they'll certainly smash that heavy, unprotected tablet. Most likely kids that uncontrollable would be too young (and weak) to figure out how to pry the tablet out of the case. I don't now why you're so hellbent on thinking that heavy, overpriced, just-as-fragile-as-a-nexus tablet is somehow a good deal.

When I was a kid there was very little that I couldn't de-childproof. I think you're vastly underestimating children.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

FordPRefectLL posted:

When I was a kid there was very little that I couldn't de-childproof. I think you're vastly underestimating children.

Maybe so. But the point is the tablet in question is no more "child proof" than, say, a nexus in a kiddy-case.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I guess I need to point out that I never said anything nice about that tablet; it looks pretty awful. I was just offering a possible real-world reason for it weighing so much. :shobon:

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Splizwarf posted:

I guess I need to point out that [b]I never said anything nice about that tabtablets; it looks pretty awful. I was just offering a possible real-world reason for it weighing so much. :shobon:
:raise:

Splizwarf posted:

What does this post refer to? Sounded to me like you're saying it's heavy because its super sturdy. Did I misunderstand you?

randyest fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 4, 2013

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Yes, the only good reason for it being so absurdly heavy seemed to me like it would be stronger-than-normal construction, and I said so. This speculation did not include an endorsement.

I suppose it could instead just have a gently caress-off gigantic battery? v:shobon:v

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Looks to much like a Fisher Price toy.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

quote:

Enhanced water effects
Along with realistic textures and material display, motion blur effects, camera splash effects and more offer clear, high-quality visuals.

I certainly have to say that water effects are make or break for me when it comes to my technology purchasing decisions. Also, I can't even figure out what they mean by "camera splash," googling just turned up waterproof cameras. Which I guess might be handy if water effects are a primary feature on this device.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's talking about when games "splash" the camera and the droplots refract the image.

Basically they stole it from the ASUS Transformer website:

quote:

Advanced water effects, realistic textures and material display, motion blur effects, camera splash effects and all kinds of new 3D effects have been added to the Transformer Prime. It offers superb 3D graphics performance previously unseen on a tablet.
http://www.asus.com/Tablet_Mobile/Eee_Pad_Transformer_Prime_TF201/

:ms:

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

3.7 Lbs is crazy and it's only .4in thick. I'm really curious about what is making it weight those extra 2.5 lbs.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Stick100 posted:

3.7 Lbs is crazy and it's only .4in thick. I'm really curious about what is making it weight those extra 2.5 lbs.

Maybe some lead fishing sinkers, to give the appearance of a heavy, expensive, quality product.

quote:

Donald Gennaro: [Tim pops up wearing a pair of night vision goggles] Hey, where'd you find that?
Tim: In a box under my seat.
Donald Gennaro: Are they heavy?
Tim: Yeah.
Donald Gennaro: Then they're expensive, put 'em back.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Going out of a limb here, but Best Buy isn't exactly renowned for their accuracy in....anything.

My guess is that's the fully packaged weight with box and charger and everything.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

bull3964 posted:

Going out of a limb here, but Best Buy isn't exactly renowned for their accuracy in....anything.

My guess is that's the fully packaged weight with box and charger and everything.

I went looking and couldn't find any other verification of the weight. It is a solid aluminum chassis, so it won't exactly be light.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I just worked out how to make my tablet a remote control for my PC.

There isn't a smiley to emote how much I'm gushing right now.

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 4, 2013

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So, my Nexus 7 eats battery incredibly fast. I checked it last night at around 11:30 before I went to bed. 49% battery. When I woke up this morning at 5, it was down to 3%. It's running 4.2.1, not rooted. The battery meter said that Android OS took up the vast, vast majority of the battery life, but it was only awake for a few slivers of time. What gives?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Awake reporting is broken on 4.2.1, so what you are seeing as awake time may not reflect reality.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Daimo posted:

I just worked out how to make my tablet a remote control for my PC.

There isn't a smiley to emote how much I'm gushing right now.

By installing Unified Remote?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Anyone interested, Amazon is offering $30 off the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and $50 off the LTE version. Use code FIRELOVE at checkout. Good through 2/8/2013

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

By installing Unified Remote?

Yes. Everybody get it and stay in bed forever.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I'm picking up a Nexus 7 later this week and was looking around for a case, and I stumbled across the MoKo bluetooth keyboard cover. Does anyone have experience with this? It's pretty cheap through Prime for me and it may be worth picking up over the normal slimfit case, but I'd like to make sure before I throw any money at it, considering there are only like 4 reviews for it through amazon and googling doesn't seem to turn anything up.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

mr. stefan posted:

I'm picking up a Nexus 7 later this week and was looking around for a case, and I stumbled across the MoKo bluetooth keyboard cover. Does anyone have experience with this? It's pretty cheap through Prime for me and it may be worth picking up over the normal slimfit case, but I'd like to make sure before I throw any money at it, considering there are only like 4 reviews for it through amazon and googling doesn't seem to turn anything up.

That's a generic product that goes by a ton of different names. If you search for "Nexus 7 keyboard case" on Youtube you'll find plenty of videos about it. Basically, from what I've seen the keys are as tiny as you'd expect and some of them have an issue with the sleep/wake magnet being too strong and shutting the Nexus 7 off when you place it in a certain way, but the construction feels nearly identical to the Nexus 7 itself and it's certainly functional. For $20 it doesn't seem like a terrible keyboard case, but then you don't have a lot of options either way.

One thing to keep in mind is that it's a separate cover that happens to clamp onto the Nexus 7, but otherwise doesn't remain attached. That would make it less convenient than a normal case in some circumstances.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Does anyone have any up to date asus CS experiences? Or have a recommendation for third party tablet repair vendors?
I have a TF700(which I love and would recommend to anybody), which fell off my ottoman while in the dock and open and now the right locking lug no longer locks. Its still perfectly functional, but the tablet now wobbles annoyingly in the dock and doesnt feel solid anymore.
I can continue using it like this, but I really want to get it fixed.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
Any idea why my nexus 10 loses my SA login cookie? I have to login every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

kmcormick9 posted:

Does anyone have any up to date asus CS experiences? Or have a recommendation for third party tablet repair vendors?
I have a TF700(which I love and would recommend to anybody), which fell off my ottoman while in the dock and open and now the right locking lug no longer locks. Its still perfectly functional, but the tablet now wobbles annoyingly in the dock and doesnt feel solid anymore.
I can continue using it like this, but I really want to get it fixed.
I RMAd my TF700 a month or so ago for screen lifting/backlight issues and got it back super fast and fixed perfectly. I live in a state that neighbors the repair center though, so your time may be a bit longer.