Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Cellular Suicide posted:

I think the people who bought it as a performance vehicle are the minority who got it as a manual. The majority pick the car based on the bigger numbers rather than appreciating it as a mini-M3, and are probably more likely to prefer the ease of an auto. It does probably helps having an auto that's technically faster than a manual.

I got mine as an auto because it makes driving in traffic easier, and when I want to drive it hard I can use left foot braking in conjunction with the shifter paddles.

It also helps that the auto transmission is really really good and has virtually no lag time between when you tell it to shift and it doing so, unlike my slk55 amg where the paddles seem to just suggest the transmission change and then it decides if it really wants to or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

coolskillrex remix posted:

What is it with 2009 335i sedans that make it impossible to find them in manual. It seems like a decent enough car it just seems like all the used ones were driven by people who werent aware that they were driving a performance car and not a grocery getter..

Because the "average non-goon" purchaser walks onto a lot filled with Automatics and chooses one and leases it for exactly 3 years and then dumps it for the next shiny object.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Keyser S0ze posted:

Because the "average non-goon" purchaser walks onto a lot filled with Automatics and chooses one and leases it for exactly 3 years and then dumps it for the next shiny object.

I think its more about "i want a big number on my bmw" and not really about being an "average noon goon". Its a twin turbo engine! its for all intents and purposes a drivers car.

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

What is it with 2009 335i sedans that make it impossible to find them in manual. It seems like a decent enough car it just seems like all the used ones were driven by people who werent aware that they were driving a performance car and not a grocery getter..

I took me forever to find one, don't give up!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Personal preference and all, but as good as the DCT might be I just couldn't bring myself to get one.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Also manual transmissions last forever, are cheaper to maintain, and can run like poo poo a lot longer than an auto or dual-clutch box can.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

revmoo posted:

Also manual transmissions last forever, are cheaper to maintain, and can run like poo poo a lot longer than an auto or dual-clutch box can.

I think there are other manuals that would like to have a word with you. Largely depends on the driver as well, there are some that can destroy a box pretty quickly.

But the SMG's biggest issue is the whole pump going out. About 2000 for the replacement.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Anyway, the reason I ask is that my dealer has a 2013 M3 with premium and competition with a manual for $60k. New. 3 miles on it. I'm waiting to hear back from my CA, but I think it's probably a special order that fell through and now they want to free up the inventory for something else. They don't order any manuals unless it's for a specific customer. If that's really what they're asking I'm gonna jump on it.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Jealous Cow posted:

Anyway, the reason I ask is that my dealer has a 2013 M3 with premium and competition with a manual for $60k. New. 3 miles on it. I'm waiting to hear back from my CA, but I think it's probably a special order that fell through and now they want to free up the inventory for something else. They don't order any manuals unless it's for a specific customer. If that's really what they're asking I'm gonna jump on it.

Oh wow -- what other options on that car?! Sounds good, almost too good.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

thealphabetsez posted:

Oh wow -- what other options on that car?! Sounds good, almost too good.

Heated seats and SIRIUS. No M-Tech. Normally those random options (like heated seats without cold weather or satellite radio) scream "douchebag at the dealer ordering random poo poo", but the fact that there were very limited slots for the 2013 and it's a manual makes me think it's a customer order that backed out or couldn't get financing together.

It has to be a mistake. It's over $8k off MSRP and $3k under invoice. But we'll see.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
The power would never have gone out if the Superbowl were at the BMW Superdome.

That stadium would run for 250,000 miles. :colbert:

But all of the plumbing would explode too.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

Just keep in mind that the new M3 will be released soon, and that one will depreciate much quicker than the earlier ones did. Especially since the new one is going to have turbos and probably be easily tunable for a lot more hp.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Stealth Like posted:

Just keep in mind that the new M3 will be released soon, and that one will depreciate much quicker than the earlier ones did. Especially since the new one is going to have turbos and probably be easily tunable for a lot more hp.

The new M3 with be a sedan only. The coupe will be an M4 and probably won't come out until late 2014. Also, the new engine is rumored to only be a few HP more, with a larger focus on weight reduction.

While I do agree that an engine with three intercooled turbos will probably be tunable to over 500, I think I'd enjoy 414hp from a V8 that revs to 9k a bit more.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

The new M3 with be a sedan only. The coupe will be an M4 and probably won't come out until late 2014. Also, the new engine is rumored to only be a few HP more, with a larger focus on weight reduction.

While I do agree that an engine with three intercooled turbos will probably be tunable to over 500, I think I'd enjoy 414hp from a V8 that revs to 9k a bit more.

Stupid naming, M4 whatever. Yeah it is a long wait. I have a friend that got an M3 coupe last year and loves it, and from the few times I've driven it it's fantastic. The new one is going to have 450 hp, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's easily tunable to 550-570 hp with nothing more than a piggy back ECU, not to mention the lighter weight in conjunction with gobs more torque.

Edit: of course the new M4 will probably start at 70k+

Woolwich Bagnet fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 4, 2013

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

Stealth Like posted:

Stupid naming, M4 whatever. Yeah it is a long wait. I have a friend that got an M3 coupe last year and loves it, and from the few times I've driven it it's fantastic. The new one is going to have 450 hp, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's easily tunable to 550-570 hp with nothing more than a piggy back ECU, not to mention the lighter weight in conjunction with gobs more torque.

And a nice new turbo (triple turbo? seriously?) setup that you get to guinea pig...no thanks. I would jump all over that abandoned manual M3 and drive the absolute poo poo out of it, and in the back of my mind always know that it's last of the NA V8 M3's and will be worth it's resale value down the road and/or be a rarer object.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cellular Suicide posted:

And a nice new turbo (triple turbo? seriously?) setup that you get to guinea pig...no thanks. I would jump all over that abandoned manual M3 and drive the absolute poo poo out of it, and in the back of my mind always know that it's last of the NA V8 M3's and will be worth it's resale value down the road and/or be a rarer object.

Well, hopefully it's a real car. I have a feeling they typed "6" instead of "7" or something equally stupid.

Now I've got the bug though. Sent emails out to all the European Delivery expert CAs I know of looking for a slot.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

Well, hopefully it's a real car. I have a feeling they typed "6" instead of "7" or something equally stupid.

Now I've got the bug though. Sent emails out to all the European Delivery expert CAs I know of looking for a slot.

Do you know what color it is? White looks so amazing with the carbon fiber roof.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Stealth Like posted:

Do you know what color it is? White looks so amazing with the carbon fiber roof.

The Metallic Black (whatever it's called) with the fox red Novillo leather. Not a huge fan of black but I can deal. I don't like white cars. Would prefer Le Mans Blue.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Cellular Suicide posted:

Don't get too rash on the BMW M group, their engines tend to be quite robust, and in the instances where things have gone awry they have tended to it rather generously (S54 rod bearing.) The turbo systems are quite impressive as well, and the full-on investment by BMW to incorporate turbo engines into all platform offerings would only serve to further harbor confidence ;)

Jealous Cow posted:

The Metallic Black (whatever it's called) with the fox red Novillo leather. Not a huge fan of black but I can deal. I don't like white cars. Would prefer Le Mans Blue.

Extended leather?!?!

Edit: VVVVV now don't go acting without thinking. Haha, but seriously, go acquire and join the club.

thealphabetsez fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 4, 2013

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo. Maybe that price is real. The other dealer in town has a white base model for $59k. An actual, real, base model. Cloth seats. Manual.

Ok, this is good.

Realjones
May 16, 2004

A dealership just happened to have just gotten one in when I went to go look at some cars on a Saturday. 6 speed, estoril blue, AND the M-sport package. I test drove it Saturday (car hadn't even been cleaned yet) and they sold it Monday.

Jealous Cow posted:

If you guys were ordering an M3 what would you chose for the transmission? Manual or DCT? I've always been a manual guy but I drove an M5 recently with SMG III and it was pretty nice. I hear the DCT is even better.

If you are planning on keeping the car out of warranty I'd go with the manual. The DCT does seem to better suited to the car (7 vs 6 gears) as the power is more up top compared to say a c63. If you plan on paying to extend the warranty and don't mind the lack of clutch go with the DCT.

Given that the e92 is five years old now and a new one will be available maybe next year I'd rather get a used stripper six speed to enjoy. Regardless of what the fanboys say "last NA V8 eva" they will all flock to the new one just like they did from the e46. <20 MPG vs probably in mid 20s for the new one will convert many people as well.

Realjones fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 4, 2013

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Realjones posted:

A dealership just happened to have just gotten one in when I went to go look at some cars on a Saturday. 6 speed, estoril blue, AND the M-sport package. I test drove it Saturday (car hadn't even been cleaned yet) and they sold it Monday.

If you are planning on keeping the car out of warranty I'd go with the manual. The DCT does seem to better suited to the car (7 vs 6 gears) as the power is more up top compared to say a c63. If you plan on paying to extend the warranty and don't mind the lack of clutch go with the DCT.

Given that the e92 is five years old now and a new one will be available maybe next year I'd rather get a used stripper six speed to enjoy. Regardless of what the fanboys say "last NA V8 eva" they will all flock to the new one just like they did from the e46. <20 MPG vs probably in mid 20s for the new one will convert many people as well.

I say go for the DCT, if only so the market of standard transmission examples is small, thus keeping the value of mine an amount (if at all noticeable) higher ;)

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Realjones posted:

I'm leaning toward a 6-speed stripper. My local dealer has one that I can get under invoice with current incentives.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

I'm leaning toward a 6-speed stripper. My local dealer has one that I can get under invoice with current incentives.

Do this and let me drive it at least once.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Jealous Cow posted:

Normally those random options (like heated seats without cold weather or satellite radio) scream "douchebag at the dealer ordering random poo poo",

I got heated seats ($500) in my F10 535, and live in California so could give a poo poo about headlight washers or dumbass "ski bags". I've never owned a car with heated seats and my back loves having them. :colbert:

I want an M3 too though. :smith:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Keyser S0ze posted:

I got heated seats ($500) in my F10 535, and live in California so could give a poo poo about headlight washers or dumbass "ski bags". I've never owned a car with heated seats and my back loves having them. :colbert:

I want an M3 too though. :smith:

I hate em. Makes me feel like I'm overheating.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Keyser S0ze posted:

dumbass "ski bags"

These are legit as gently caress if you are a skier, fyi, not "dumbass" at all. Love the ski bag in my E46.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Guinness posted:

These are legit as gently caress if you are a skier, fyi, not "dumbass" at all. Love the ski bag in my E46.

I use racks (snowboard) on my E46, since I haven't owned skis since 1988 :corsair: but yeah I can see how they'd be handy to store your skis while parked or if going up solo or with two sets. I just looked through all the configs and it seems the "ski bag" hasn't been around in years. Does anyone use the retractable headlight washers?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Keyser S0ze posted:

Does anyone use the retractable headlight washers?

My E60 does it automatically.... Every 5 washes I think?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Keyser S0ze posted:

I use racks (snowboard) on my E46, since I haven't owned skis since 1988 :corsair: but yeah I can see how they'd be handy to store your skis while parked or if going up solo or with two sets.

The ski bag is ideal for 2 pairs of modern fat skis. I can fit 3 if I finangle with them enough. It's sweet not having to deal with a rack and just toss 'em in the trunk. Granted, it's nothing that couldn't be accomplished by just dropping one of the rear seats, but it is a slick system that keeps the interior dry and the skis in place.

Also, skiing is back in vogue again with modern ski designs. I used to snowboard and switched to skiing and haven't looked back. You should reconsider it. :)

quote:

Does anyone use the retractable headlight washers?
Yeah the retractable headlight washers in my E46 work automatically, something like this:

- Headlights must be on (with auto lights and rain-sensing wipers, they will be on in rain/snow even if its light out)
- For every 3 pulls of the windshield washer, the headlight washers fire once.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 4, 2013

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Not sure how the E9x market will play out, but the stipper M3s with cloth seats tend to hold resale value very well in the enthusiast market. E36 alcantara interior is worth 2k alone, and the E46 leather/cloth seats are worth similar numbers. Basically comes down to cloth being way, way better for track days and usually getting paired with less options.

And headlight washers are essential if you live in an area with salt. Projector headlights will get the headlight cover quite hot and it will bake the salt onto the glass. I have to carry windex and a roll of paper towels in my trunk because my 328 doesn't have them.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 4, 2013

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
So uh I was driving home from work and as I slow down to get off the highway I start hearing this rhythmic squeaking/rubbing sound coming from the rear. I pull into the closest parking lot and look around the car and I find this thing wedged in my right rear wheel, in between the brake rotor and the wheel itself:

WTF is it and why is my car randomly dropping parts off of it :ohdear:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Check your rear wheel arches for holes, that is a classic e30 rust spot.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Alright I got underneath the car as best as I could considering how low it is and it looks like a piece of shielding that goes over the battery cable from the trunk to the front of the car, at least in that I can see a braided black covering over some kind of thick gauge wire. Or maybe its a cover for the gas fill up pipe?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I have no idea what part that is from an E30. Your idea of a cover of some sort is probably the best guess.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Realjones posted:

Five years old... I just did a quick search and couldn't find a 2008 for under $40k. Man the e9x was expensive new - I'm afraid for the new one. Hopefully the new M2/M1 will be under $60k because I've got my eye on that.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Welp my 1987 e30 325is has a coolant leak and likes to piss all over itself in a few days with a full coolant tank. I hear this is a fairly common problem, any idea what the culprit might be and what I could expect to pay to have it fixed? I'll be taking it in tomorrow to get it checked out but any information ahead of time would be helpful.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Popete posted:

Welp my 1987 e30 325is has a coolant leak and likes to piss all over itself in a few days with a full coolant tank. I hear this is a fairly common problem, any idea what the culprit might be and what I could expect to pay to have it fixed? I'll be taking it in tomorrow to get it checked out but any information ahead of time would be helpful.

Can you see where the leak is coming from? Could be a easy fix if you DIY it

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

ynotony posted:

Five years old... I just did a quick search and couldn't find a 2008 for under $40k. Man the e9x was expensive new - I'm afraid for the new one. Hopefully the new M2/M1 will be under $60k because I've got my eye on that.

That'll change pretty quickly. When the E9x M3 came out, prices for the E46 M3 dropped by a few thousand dollars in a couple of months right around the on-sale date. I imagine the same thing will happen when the F30 M3/M4 goes on sale.

Still won't change the fact that the F30 M4 will probably be almost $70k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Here are some pictures of the leak as the engine is running, it seems to be coming out of the large hose on top as well as the small black connector to the engine block.

Popete fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 5, 2013