Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
One way to put the NCR and Caesar's Legion in historical perspective is to see the NCR as the Republic of Rome and Caesar's Legion as Caesar's Legion. Rome was busy trying to expand their empire and build infrastructure and stability, and not doing too good a job of it, while Caesar returns from fighting the Gauls and other barbarians with a huge army that is loyal to him, not Rome. He wants to do away with the whole "republic" thing and bring back the "golden age" of strong emperors, but not destroy the Roman empire. The analogy is not perfect because Caesar in Fallout didn't leave the NCR as a military leader or some kind of official representative of the NCR, but there's a lot of other similarities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroChicken
Jun 3, 2007

Eevee of Tomorrow

BCR posted:

Total pacifism. After basically killing all the mojaves problems, I thought maximum gandhi would be good.

High stealth, speech and unarmed with boxing wraps.

This is definitely the way to go! I tried it 6 months ago and loved it. Older, balding man, with glasses, a sweater vest, and a NCR helmet. Just carried binoculars and a golf club (because he's a gentleman, not a brute). I tried to not use companions until I knew I could complete their quests without deaths, so it was just Cass, ED-E, Arcade, and Raul. I went with Yes-Man, and just Stealth-Boyed through Hoover Dam.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
It's a testament to the quality of the writing that on a recent play through, where I'd done OWB before Dead Money, my first terrified thought after hearing the Elijah had removed all my weapons and armour was 'Oh poo poo! Now he can teleport directly to the sink and... :ohdear:'

Here's a question for the thread.

Assuming a Yes Man victory, who is the worst person you could give the Yes Man command code to, before walking off into the sunset? Or the best?

I'd like to see how Fantastic runs the show...

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Give it to the kids who were playing around with the Euclid C-finder, they'll probably think it's just another toy and leave it well enough alone without understanding its true purpose.

Hopefully no one with a bunch of caps or high barter comes around to Freeside...

EDIT: Second choice would be Primm Slim. If shoving a bunch of fission batteries into him is enough to make him Sheriff, I don't see why cramming a few more wouldn't turn him into some benevolent robo-dictator of New Vegas. It's science :science:

moot the hopple fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 3, 2013

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Doubtful Guest posted:

Assuming a Yes Man victory, who is the worst person you could give the Yes Man command code to, before walking off into the sunset? Or the best?

Turns out he's got a theoretical degree in politics too :smug:

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I wish this game had optional GFWL. I love my achievements, and I have this for PC. The issue is if I play I miss out on achievements, but if I play on Xbox I don't get mods. :(

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

GFWL is a nightmare shitshow don't envoke its presence.

Doesn't do anything for your gamerscore but there are achievements in steam for the game..? Are there not?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Agoat posted:

I wish this game had optional GFWL. I love my achievements, and I have this for PC. The issue is if I play I miss out on achievements, but if I play on Xbox I don't get mods. :(
Wait, you want GFWL? That the first time I've seen someone say that. Are the achievements on steam not good enough for you?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

You still get achievements, they're just on steam.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

DamnGlitch posted:

GFWL is a nightmare shitshow don't envoke its presence.

Doesn't do anything for your gamerscore but there are achievements in steam for the game..? Are there not?

I play on my Xbox 360 mostly. Steam cheevos are neat, but I love adding to my Gamerscore on Live.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, I just platinumed Fallout NV, but that doesn't mean I'm done with it. Hell no. I still haven't really explored the stuff to find/do in Westside or the Thorn, and the thing I still need to see is the Cass drinking contest. I've heard it's hilarious.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Agoat posted:

I play on my Xbox 360 mostly. Steam cheevos are neat, but I love adding to my Gamerscore on Live.
Oooh are you this kid?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Lord Lambeth posted:

Oooh are you this kid?

Pretty much. It's really cool, non-serious fun. Bragging to friends is cool, too.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

moot the hopple posted:

Give it to the kids who were playing around with the Euclid C-finder, they'll probably think it's just another toy and leave it well enough alone without understanding its true purpose.

I was slightly disappointed that activating HELIOS One first doesn't result in the kid space-lasering Freeside.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I wish there was an option to tell Elijah in Dead Money that you achieved everything he was looking for. "Yeah, I found a way to make HELIOS give me lasers from the sky...once a day, in the sunlight. Your "ultimate weapon" is kind of a letdown, dude."

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BCR posted:

Total pacifism. After basically killing all the mojaves problems, I thought maximum gandhi would be good.

High stealth, speech and unarmed with boxing wraps.

Nice. I came close once but I never could get 0 deaths. I did kill the heck out of deathclaws and cazadores though. Keep us updated as I seriously want to see evidence of a no-kill no companion run. I salute you brave sirrah! My merchant run I let Boone and Ed-E kill whatever was aggro and, despite my low kills, it didn't feel like a true pacifist run. Barter can be a nice alternative skill to put points in. Gives you access to quite a few speech type checks and gives you the ability to fast travel while overburdened and make ammo weight negligible. The second might matter less but it is nice. I do wish OWB had tossed me a non lethal sonic stun device. Would have been nice to have a true 0 kill count.

Speedball posted:

If you're going for zero deaths, maybe you should go for Yes Man because you can straight-up skip dealing with a lot of the factions.

That is what I almost did but I found an NCR loving Merchant more appropriate. Finishing a game with 20 guns was hilarious.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Doubtful Guest posted:

No-Bark Noonan, hands-down. Failing that, Tabitha!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Doubtful Guest posted:

Judah Krieger. Let's give the Enclave another chance!

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Speedball posted:

No-Bark Noonan, hands-down. Failing that, Tabitha!

No-Bark Noonan actually seems to be person most aware of whats going on in Novac, he just covers it behind all the random crazy talk.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Zilkin posted:

No-Bark Noonan actually seems to be person most aware of whats going on in Novac, he just covers it behind all the random crazy talk.

Well, that's why his both the worst and best choice. At the same time!

He's the only one who would prepare the Mojave for the inevitable invasion of the mole people. By which I mean, the Tunnelers.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Lord Lambeth posted:

Oooh are you this kid?

No. He's this kid:

So, I like the NCR, but think they need to chill the gently caress out and learn to expand with peace and moderation, not violent land grabs. I also like Mister House for bringing order and civilization to savages. The Legion can go gently caress themselves. Is there a way to go the anarchist route in the ending without just completely flipping the bird to House and the NCR?

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Doubtful Guest posted:

The bald guy Chris from Repconn Test Site, somehow he will get his revenge on everyone.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

mango sentinel posted:

No. He's this kid:

So, I like the NCR, but think they need to chill the gently caress out and learn to expand with peace and moderation, not violent land grabs. I also like Mister House for bringing order and civilization to savages. The Legion can go gently caress themselves. Is there a way to go the anarchist route in the ending without just completely flipping the bird to House and the NCR?

3Romeo posted:

The only ending I've never done is House's, because he demands I eradicate the BoS, who I kind of like. So I downloaded a mod for my latest run-through that lets me not have to do that.

If its not called the Kobayashi Maru mod I will be sad. No Bark for President of Vegas. Or the King for the King of Vegas.

M as in Mancy
Apr 21, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If No-Bark was given complete control over the Mojave, he'd do it in secret. Can't let the spies find out, after all.

Also, No-Bark is secretly smarter than Mr. House.

On an unrelated note, pretty much everyone you interact with in Beyond the Beef is a dick, and I wish that the limitations of the engine didn't make it so that Ted didn't look like Augustus Gloop.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

You have to murder House for any ending besides his own, but you can have a good relationship with the NCR in the Anarchy and House endings.

Unless you consider "flipping the bird" to be "no you don't deserve everything just because you shout FREEDOM".

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Byzantine posted:

You have to murder House for any ending besides his own, but you can have a good relationship with the NCR in the Anarchy and House endings.

Unless you consider "flipping the bird" to be "no you don't deserve everything just because you shout FREEDOM".

Well there was supposed to be cut content where House surrenders to the NCR. That would have been the equidistant of the Legate Ending for the NCR aka NCR shifts to capitalist Fascism as House takes over as either governor of New Vegas or as President if Kimball dies, using a Securitron as his rep.

"Under this proposition, New Reno is to effective relocate all gambling venues to New Vegas. You should not have to know what happens if you disobey."

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Heh. I never tried framing Heck Gunderson for the death of his son in Beyond The Beef before.

The Securitron starts going on a fillibuster about how reporting crimes is everyone's civic duty for half a minute. It also warns that bodies are a tripping hazard and should be removed.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Speedball posted:

Heh. I never tried framing Heck Gunderson for the death of his son in Beyond The Beef before.

The Securitron starts going on a fillibuster about how reporting crimes is everyone's civic duty for half a minute. It also warns that bodies are a tripping hazard and should be removed.

If you have Wild Wasteland on you get to hear a Robocop Quote during all this

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Von_Doom posted:

Nice. I came close once but I never could get 0 deaths. I did kill the heck out of deathclaws and cazadores though. Keep us updated as I seriously want to see evidence of a no-kill no companion run. I salute you brave sirrah! My merchant run I let Boone and Ed-E kill whatever was aggro and, despite my low kills, it didn't feel like a true pacifist run. Barter can be a nice alternative skill to put points in. Gives you access to quite a few speech type checks and gives you the ability to fast travel while overburdened and make ammo weight negligible. The second might matter less but it is nice. I do wish OWB had tossed me a non lethal sonic stun device. Would have been nice to have a true 0 kill count.

I don't really have the ocd need to pick up every rifle to sell or do every quest which helps a lot. Normally, I'm just running around in a vault suit/naughty nightwear with about 30lb of stuff total. I'll put up a img when I'm done.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oooh, I thought of a trait. "Ghoulkin." "You are genetically predisposed to becoming a ghoul...a _feral_ ghoul. You regenerate health when in an active source of radiation and suffer none of the ordinary SPECIAL penalties for radiation poisoning, but your INT goes down as your rads go up and if it hits 0, game over!" (Alternately, your rads go up much quicker than normal, like two or four times as quickly, so if you hit 300-500 rads or so, you die)

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

Daionus the 23rd posted:

On an unrelated note, pretty much everyone you interact with in Beyond the Beef is a dick, and I wish that the limitations of the engine didn't make it so that Ted didn't look like Augustus Gloop.

I recently learned about the other brahmin dude out front of the Ultra Luxe who wants you to get Heck out of the picture.

Aww, the touching father son reunion.

Too bad I slipped the boy wonder a chunk of C4 I smuggled in. This? No, it's not a detonator, it's just the remote shutter release for my camera, don't be silly! :unsmigghh:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

One thing I just remembered and never figured out if there was a further hidden-quest:

After you go to Ranger Station Charlie and find the Legion has raided it, you find a holotape that says something like "We've taken the girl." I remember searching around nearby and checking out the Legion Raiding Camp, but never found any signs of a kidnapped female ranger. Did I miss something, or is that just a dead-end?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

DeclaredYuppie posted:

One thing I just remembered and never figured out if there was a further hidden-quest:

After you go to Ranger Station Charlie and find the Legion has raided it, you find a holotape that says something like "We've taken the girl." I remember searching around nearby and checking out the Legion Raiding Camp, but never found any signs of a kidnapped female ranger. Did I miss something, or is that just a dead-end?

You have to go Legion to actually see her and face her in the arena

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

e: f,b

Anyway... when is Nuka-Break s.2 coming out?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Wolfsheim posted:

Man, he could've given you a cushy cabinet position. Hell, after basically solving every issue the NCR military has single-handed, the courier practically deserves to be Secretary of Defense.

Well, though the President shows up, you don't actually ever meet him, and I don't think General Oliver is qualified to make you Secretary of Defence.

Personally, I didn't see any need to be directly rewarded by the NCR for my actions; they stand on their own without need for direct reward. I singlehandedly defused two bombs, wiped out an entire tribe of laser-gun-toting raiders, defused anti-NCR sentiment amongst the general population in the NCR's newest state, took back the town of Nelson all by myself and saved the NCR prisoners trapped there, and to top it all off I won the battle of Hoover Dam, killed Legate Lanius and Caesar himself. Every NCR soldier in the Mojave is going home with my name on their lips as the biggest goddamn hero the NCR ever did see since the Chosen One. I don't need a reward for that, back in the Hall Of Congress they're probably already ordering in a new plaque with my name on it for Kimball's desk. Incidentally, Kimball is President Five of the NCR.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

redmercer posted:

You have to go Legion to actually see her and face her in the arena

You can do this regardless of whether Charlie is hit by the Legion, so I doubt that it's the same person.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Reveilled posted:

Well, though the President shows up, you don't actually ever meet him, and I don't think General Oliver is qualified to make you Secretary of Defence.

Personally, I didn't see any need to be directly rewarded by the NCR for my actions; they stand on their own without need for direct reward. I singlehandedly defused two bombs, wiped out an entire tribe of laser-gun-toting raiders, defused anti-NCR sentiment amongst the general population in the NCR's newest state, took back the town of Nelson all by myself and saved the NCR prisoners trapped there, and to top it all off I won the battle of Hoover Dam, killed Legate Lanius and Caesar himself. Every NCR soldier in the Mojave is going home with my name on their lips as the biggest goddamn hero the NCR ever did see since the Chosen One. I don't need a reward for that, back in the Hall Of Congress they're probably already ordering in a new plaque with my name on it for Kimball's desk. Incidentally, Kimball is President Five of the NCR.

A 'virtue is its own reward' argument in a video game, let alone an RPG with an emphasis on reactivity? Really?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

JawKnee posted:

You can do this regardless of whether Charlie is hit by the Legion, so I doubt that it's the same person.

Once you're invited to the Fort, Charlie gets auto-raided whether or not you talk to Andy.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Wolfsheim posted:

A 'virtue is its own reward' argument in a video game, let alone an RPG with an emphasis on reactivity? Really?

It's not like there was no reward, the NCR won Hoover dam and annexed New Vegas. I'm the freelance NCR rep in the area, my side won and got what it wanted. What I wanted as a player was for the ending slides to talk about the NCR taking the whole place over, and I basically got what I wanted in those ending slides.

I'm being totally honest, in all the times I've run through this game and done a pro-NCR playthrough, it's never even occurred to me that I didn't get personally rewarded for the NCR victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Considering how by the end of the game you are proven to be the most dangerous man in New Vegas, I'd expect the NCR to want you working for them rather than potentially becoming a problem later on.