Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daggerpants
Aug 31, 2004

I am Kara Zor-El, the last daughter of Krypton

dwoloz posted:

First one. Leaves you plenty of money to buy a better fence

Got sold out from under me, not having great luck. How about these?:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/tls/3503742095.html
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/tls/3501800644.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

The first one doesn't have an actual picture but it sounds like a good deal with all the blades and jigs if you want to spend that much and it looks OK in person. Depending on the condition of the saw and blades you might want to haggle down a little. The second one is really overpriced for a rusty 10" craftsman TS.

Cpt.Wacky fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 27, 2012

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Anybody has experience with Proxxon rotary tools? Heard quite a lot of good things about the brand.

I'm looking mainly at the IB/E with the MD140S module/stand.

Main use case is drilling small holes through PCBs and the occasional holes to mount front panel components through plastic or thin-ish metal.

What's the biggest drill-bit you can fit on there anyway? Never had a rotary tool before, can you use small power drill bits? (I'd appreciate 3/8 for 1/4 jacks and what not..) That was retarded.

Olivil fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 28, 2012

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

The first one, or the Grizzly bandsaw.

Stavrogin
Feb 6, 2010
Does anyone have experience will drill press lathe attachments? I want to try turning, and have a great drill press, and don't want to shell out for a lathe. Seems like a great solution, unless there's something I'm missing about how they work or anyone has horror stories. Eh?

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

That sounds like something that's going to gently caress up your drill press if you do it much. The bearings aren't designed for side loads and are probably not going to hold your work straight under a lot of that kind of load.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Lyesh posted:

That sounds like something that's going to gently caress up your drill press if you do it much. The bearings aren't designed for side loads and are probably not going to hold your work straight under a lot of that kind of load.

You could probably replace the bearings 20 times for less than the cost of a lathe :downs:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Stavrogin posted:

Does anyone have experience will drill press lathe attachments? I want to try turning, and have a great drill press, and don't want to shell out for a lathe. Seems like a great solution, unless there's something I'm missing about how they work or anyone has horror stories. Eh?

http://woodgears.ca/lathe/homemade.html

The lathe is the cheap part of turning, believe me.

Spring pole lathes are very simple to build; no need to even use a pole in this day of bungee cords. Treadle lathes can be built cheap but are not simple. Used lathes are common on Craigslist. A mini-lathe can be had for under $100 used.
Turning is playtime, if you think you might like it, you will.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Stavrogin posted:

I think this exact same question popped up in the Woodworking thread.

Here's what's going to happen.

1.Buy drill press lathe attachment.
2.Ruin drill press bearings.
3.Get frustrated.
4.Buy new bearings.
5.Buy Lathe.

Don't risk messing up your drill press. These things are like those Alaskan Sawmills, they do a crappy job and end up being hard on the equipment you already have. Try and find someone who has a lathe, or find a woodworking club in your area and give it a shot to see if it is something you want to do and spend money on.

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

A much more important consideration than bearing degradation is the fact that the Morse taper on most drill press spindles is NOT designed to take any sort of side load. There is no locking mechanism such as a drawbar to pull the chuck into the taper securely. It is held in the spindle by friction alone and that is fine for the function of drilling holes, as all the force is directed axially along the spindle.

You really don't want the chuck to fly out of the spindle at any speed and that'll happen if you put too much side load on the spindle. How much side load depends on the fit of the taper. This does not apply to drill press spindles that use a locking collar. But it's still a bad idea even then due to the aforementioned bearing issues.

Also, wood lathes are cheap. I have a harbor freight one in the garage that I ended up adding 500 pounds of concrete to the frame to help with vibration and a 1 1/2 hp motor mounted in a place that wouldn't interfere with turning bowls(wtf why would you mount a motor so that it sticks out farther than the chuck). I rarely use it though and now I can't move it easily because it's heavy as hell.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I'm ashamed to admit I have a lathe, but rarely use it. Turning is fun, and I turned a rolling pin and replacement spindle for a chair when I first got it (friend of my dad gave it to me, along with a good set of knives) but I just haven't had any projects I need to use a lathe for.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'd kill for a decent lathe for metal (preferably capable of turning hardened 4340 and objects up to approx. 8" diameter, but the former is more of a tooling question than a lathe question I guess) but I have very little use for a wood turning lathe.

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

Turning 4340 pre-hard is most definitely a lathe question. You need rigidity and lots and lots of cast iron. You can certainly turn an 8" diameter chunk of steel on a South Bend bench lathe but don't expect it to leave a good finish and do expect it to chatter like hell and take forever to make any progress.

It is very satisfying to take a .250 off the diameter on a piece of steel on a suitable lathe and if you ever do you will never want to use a hobby grade lathe again.

I suggest any old American made machine preferably Lodge and Shipley, Monarch, Leblond, American Tool Works and quite a few more. The heavier older American iron is often cheaper than a smaller import machine because they are much heavier and use 3 phase power. But both of those issues are easily overcome with the cost savings provided you have the space.

One day I will own an HLV-H Hardinge. Could be had new for $60k in 2011

website posted:

" Though now superseded by more modern methods, in the past a test was used to ensure that all headstocks met the rigorous standards laid down by the factory: a batch of completed units - fitted with expensive class 9 roller races - was arranged on a rig with each carrying a flat aluminium pulley fastened to the end of its spindle. A single flat belt was looped around the pulleys and the whole assembly driven by an electric motor for 30 hours at 3000 r.p.m. Temperature sensors were mounted on the bearings and the readings monitored for consistency. Only when this test was successfully passed would a headstock be mated with its bed and the final "in-situ" grinding of the chuck-mounting and internal collet tapers be complete by a special bed-mounted rig. Experienced, professional users of Hardinge HLV lathes report to the writer that they are capable of running for ten of thousands of hours without any attention being required to the headstock - with one engineer, having over 40-years' daily experience of the model, never needing to replace the bearings."

Chauncey fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 10, 2013

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
My old high school used to have these three beautiful metal lathes from the 1950's in their metal shop. They were the kind you would find in manufacturing firm. They were about 8' long and each one would weigh close to 1/2 a ton. They were in great shape and had lots of geared auto feed features that let you make threads and patterns. I remember making a meat tenderizing hammer and the handle was a tapered length of aluminum. The teacher popped in a new bit for me, we double checked the settings on the auto feeds, and made sure the correct RPMs were selected as well.

That finished handle was a perfect taper, and it had a near-mirror finish. You couldn't even feel any ridges with your fingernail, and a few seconds with some polishing paper and it was mirrored.

Three years after I graduated there was a short dip in trades jobs available and the school board sold them all off. Five years later the trades picked up again in a big way and they had to buy two new ones, which I was told were not even 1/2 the machines those 1950's monsters were.

A guy bought all three of them for pennies on the dollar, and turned around and sold each one for thousands.

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

It is a very sad thing that there are more and more of these amazing old machines being melted down to make the next consumer throwaway trinket every day.

They typically sell for scrap value, so the scrappers buy 'em up to melt them down. When the old machine tool makers built a machine tool, they were designed and made to last many lifetimes if proper maintenance was done. This is not how machines are made anymore. Everything is made to a price now.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
There are a few school-used old iron ones on ebay in Erie for 3-500 with like 4-5 days left to go right now. A Colchester and a South Bend.

If I had a truck that would haul 2500lbs of cast iron home... dammit! And if I had the money, that's money I need to spend on fixing my house right now.

Any goons looking for a hell of a lathe in that area should probably grab those before someone else does.

tim0mit
Dec 28, 2008
Do any of you have experience with the milwaukee m12 line in a professional setting? The torque ratings look close enough to 18 volt stuff that I'm thinking of getting them for my electrician apprenticeship.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

They rule, and particularly rule for electrical work. If you look around a bit, it's not hard to find the combo packs of two tools, a charger and two batteries that's often the same price as just a single tool.

The non-impact driver is probably the best for electrical for doing switches/outlets/conduit/driving screws/panels/etc. The impact will do a little better in terms of power, but it's not as controllable for finish work. The new fuel brushless versions are impressive, too.

I've got the hex impact and the fuel 3/8 impact, my brother has the hex impact, the regular hex driver, drill and the jobsite radio (which rules). He's probably going to pick up the little portaband at some point too, as it's the perfect size for cutting unistrut. Brother is a commercial plumber, I work for a park system building trails/welding/repairing equipment.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 19, 2013

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I don't own any Milwaukee tools, but from what I understand they're pretty solid and the brand is extremely popular in the electrical trades. It's the brand I see most on job sites (I do acceptance and maintenance testing). I really want the M12 Fuel drill/driver and impact driver when they hit stores next month or so.

Noctone fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 19, 2013

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Speaking of Milwaukee, anyone used their random orbit sander? It has some mixed reviews. The people who love it would marry it and have it's babies. But a few have had trouble with the bearings going out prematurely (as in weeks). I'm trying to decide between it and the less expensive Bosch which also gets glowing reviews.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

tim0mit posted:

Do any of you have experience with the milwaukee m12 line in a professional setting? The torque ratings look close enough to 18 volt stuff that I'm thinking of getting them for my electrician apprenticeship.

Experience with Milwaukee yes? Professional setting - No, but I've got the M12 R/A drill, multi-tool, dremel, inspection camera and radio as well as the M18 hammer drill, impact driver, circular saw, sawzall and vacuum (the vacuum is surprisingly useful, the hackzall is awesome). In particular I've done a bunch of electrial work at home with the M12 tools. The thing milwaukee has right now over everyone else is the variety. Just click this link to see.
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/system/m12

For example no major competitor has a dremel and multi-tool in their 12V lines - the multi tool in particular is key for cutting holes for outlets. They commited to li-ion (and left everything else behind) a few years ago and have been building up their tool line ever since. From my reading bosch and dewalt are great for comparable tools but have nothing close to the variety in their 12V or 18V lines. And of course when buying cordless tools you're buying into a system, not just getting a single tool.

Also note that they're coming out with M12 fuel (brushless motors) soon. Probably not necessary but pretty neat.

Look for the drill, impact driver, multi-tool combo. That would be a great start.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

wormil posted:

Speaking of Milwaukee, anyone used their random orbit sander? It has some mixed reviews. The people who love it would marry it and have it's babies. But a few have had trouble with the bearings going out prematurely (as in weeks). I'm trying to decide between it and the less expensive Bosch which also gets glowing reviews.
I have one, it's probably four years old. No complaints, I'd buy another one without hesitation if this one died.

The seal around the dust bag is leaky but that's not an issue for me since I bought a dust extractor. Prior to that I just wrapped the seam with masking tape.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a used table saw, my budget being $200, preferably less. Looking around craigslist I see a couple options:

Craftsman 10 inch 3hp

http://orlando.craigslist.org/tls/3538913899.html

DeWalt

http://orlando.craigslist.org/tls/3566867140.html

I'm really digging the Craftsman up there, its cheap, has a stand and wide table, and its down the street. The DeWalt is expensive, but as they say the most expensive tool is the one you buy twice. Anyone have any thoughts on either of these or can identify the models so I can look up some reviews?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Super Waffle posted:

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a used table saw, my budget being $200, preferably less. Looking around craigslist I see a couple options:

Craftsman 10 inch 3hp

http://orlando.craigslist.org/tls/3538913899.html

DeWalt

http://orlando.craigslist.org/tls/3566867140.html

I'm really digging the Craftsman up there, its cheap, has a stand and wide table, and its down the street. The DeWalt is expensive, but as they say the most expensive tool is the one you buy twice. Anyone have any thoughts on either of these or can identify the models so I can look up some reviews?

Some things to keep in mind, Craftsman list "maximum developed" horsepower which is useless. In reality it's probably closer to 1.75-2 HP. The fence makes the saw. If you want to do carpentry it won't be critical but for any level of precision woodworking you need a stable fence. Both saws are 15 amp, the Craftsman has an induction motor which will be quieter, I believe the Dewalt has a universal motor (like a circular saw). Amp for amp the universal motor has a slight edge with power but I wouldn't worry about that. I've heard people bitch about the miter slot on that particular Craftsman because it has those tabs that prevent the bar from raising up and also about the saw insert.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I'd pass on both. The craftsman you linked is not a very good one, and the Dewalt posted is also really cheap. We have that exact Dewalt in my shop room at school and the whole thing is shaky/flimsy. Wait for a cast iron table saw from the 1970's or earlier that will inevitably show up for the same price as these two. Those are solid, and you can get parts like link belts and fences that will make them nearly as good as brand new Deltas.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Thanks for the advice, I was about to jump on that Craftsman, phew!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I don't know how everyone else feels, but to me, the table saw is the single most important piece of woodworking equipment you will own. You can get by with some pretty crappy tools, but nothing will hinder you more than a table saw that sucks. My standard for a good table saw is that it should take two people to lift. If you can lift it yourself, then it's no good. That weight is crucial for the table to be a solid work surface that won't vibrate and shake all over the place, marring your wood and wasting your time. If the table has a nice solid (cast iron) table top, then you can slowly upgrade everything else to make it second-to-none. Old Craftsmen tables from the 1950-70s are great because they are heavy, well made, and there is an entire industry of aftermarket parts that fit them.

I know it's hard to wait, but keep posting your craigslist finds and eventually someone here will give you the, "Holy crap, that's an amazing deal, jump on that!"

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Thanks for the advice. I just found a Grizzly cabinet saw for $450, if it was a bit cheaper I'd jump on this thing :stare:

http://orlando.craigslist.org/tls/3573430011.html

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Back when my woodworking was very furniture-centric I would have completely agreed about the tablesaw but these days I'm making more small projects and musical instruments and a band saw would be far more valuable. I do agree though that if you're going to own a tablesaw it should be a good one because I can't imagine anything more aggravating in woodworking than a mediocre or terrible saw. Every project I've ever worked on had to be sawn at some point.

Also, I'm already thinking of getting a larger lathe but I would like to stay vintage. How are the old Craftsman lathes? What other old brands are worth looking at?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Found a couple more table saws in the area:

Rigid table saw with extensions, but the surface is rusted to hell. How hard would it be to clean all that off, and would it be worth it? I could probably haggle the price down to <$200

http://orlando.craigslist.org/tls/3587049209.html

Heres an oooold Crafstman for cheap, but also rusted out. Not sure how I feel about this one:

http://orlando.craigslist.org/tls/3558586160.html

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Super Waffle posted:

Rigid table saw with extensions, but the surface is rusted to hell. How hard would it be to clean all that off, and would it be worth it? I could probably haggle the price down to <$200

Heres an oooold Crafstman for cheap, but also rusted out. Not sure how I feel about this one:

I don't know much about Rigid saws other than some or all of them had alignment problems but their fans are rabid about defending them. The Craftsman probably isn't worth it unless you're willing to put a lot of time into fixing it up. Offer him a $100 for both.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I'd try and get the guy to knock a few bucks off the Rigid before thinking of it. My cousin has a rigid table saw and it's pretty good. That one looks to have a nice cast iron top, so you can go from there.

The craftsman caught my eye, but it will probably take a bit of elbow grease before you get it to where you want. Check out articles like this one to see what you can do to get them working great.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
$5900 and the guy can't even throw in free shipping?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170983973908&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Are those super rare or did someone misplace a decimal point?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

ExplodingSims posted:

Are those super rare or did someone misplace a decimal point?

Couple of decimal points. They barely rate as uncommon and this one is missing a piece.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

No, but if you pay another $10 you can get the original ad for it too:

http://www.vintagepaperads.com/1922-Goodell-Pratt-Bench-Vise-Ad--All-In-The-Grip_p_42454.html

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I'm going to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and say he typed in "5-9-0-0" thinking that the decimal was already in there like some ATMs are set up, so you'd have to type "1-0-0" to get $1.00

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Super Waffle posted:

I have a ridgid TS3650 that I like, and also came pretty rusty. It took an orbital sander, a pack of scotch bright pads, barkeeper's friend, and a couple hours to clean it off. I only paid $90 for my saw though.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Should I buy this immediately? :stare:

http://orlando.craigslist.org/tls/3577420254.html

12" Craftsman bandsaw, Craftsman table saw, and what looks like a jointer/planer for $250

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Super Waffle posted:

Should I buy this immediately? :stare:

http://orlando.craigslist.org/tls/3577420254.html

12" Craftsman bandsaw, Craftsman table saw, and what looks like a jointer/planer for $250

I wouldn't. The TS has those horrible stamped tables, probably direct drive too. The jointer is on a really weird awkward stand with a joke of a fence. I'm guessing 1/2HP motors on the jointer and BS, not sure how bad that is on a jointer but that's pretty wimpy for a BS. The BS looks similar to one my dad had, workable but not great.