Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

River posted:

Also one other thing - I am getting literally hundreds, sometimes thousands of failed password for root messages (bruteforcing?) from some Chinese website (http://113.106.24.21/) that I probably should never have went to without noscript and a sandboxed browser, and I wanna ask what the best way to deal with this is. Tell iptables to drop all packets from that IP? If so, are there any special flags or anything past the basic "-j DROP"? Or should I report them to my host/datacenter?

Add the IP to /etc/hosts.deny and/or use denyhosts to do that automatically.

Edit: And make sure you have root logins via ssh disabled.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you want to automate it, install fail2ban.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You can also use csf, which is an effective wrapper around iptables.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
You can also move SSH to a non standard port as well as disabling password based logins.

River
Apr 22, 2012
Nothin' but the rain
Thanks guys. I've added it to hosts.deny, and I'll be moving SSH to a non standard port as well as disabling password logins and logging in with a key from now on.

Also, I managed to solve my last problem. I still don't know what was causing it, but now I'm just moving the file I wanted to attach to a web directory and putting a link in the email body.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
I've tried moving SSH to a different port. You'll just get port scanned anyways, and attacked on that port. You really should automate the ban as well.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Kire posted:

(crosspost from a much slower moving thread, hope that's ok)

I'm trying to use my beaglebone, but I'm running in to trouble just trying to install emacs. I've been following this tutorial:
http://www.gigamegablog.com/2012/01...angstrom-linux/

and I'm trying to use "wget http://www.angstrom-distribution.or...r1.6" but linux keeps telling me "wget: bad address 'www.angstrom-distribution.org'" and since I can't ping any IP addresses from the command line I assume my beaglebone isn't accessing the internet properly? How can I get it to access the net, presumably through the ethernet connection to my WinXP machine?

try putting the url in single quotes?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Hefty posted:

Do you have a ~/.config/monitors.xml file? I think that's a Gnome thing. If it's there, you can just change the <primary> values (yes/no) for whichever monitors. That'll persist your changes through a reboot.

I looked around for that file, couldn't fine one.

Xik posted:

This might be a bit too hackish for you, but my solution was to run a couple of xrandr commands when my window manager starts up.

My NVIDIA card has two DVI and one HDMI outputs, I leave them plugged in and I am constantly switching between the second DVI and the HDMI output. One of the startup entries in my window manager(i3wm) is a two line script to ensure the second DVI output is active and not the HDMI output:

code:
xrandr --output HDMI-0 --off
xrandr --output DVI-I-3 --auto --right-of DVI-I-2
As I said, I'm always switching between them so I have two functions in my .bashrc file:

code:
# turn off output on hdmi screen and turn on dvi                                                        
function xdv(){
    xrandr --output HDMI-0 --off
    xrandr --output DVI-I-3 --auto --right-of DVI-I-2
}

# turn off dvi output and turn on hdmi                                                                  
function xhd(){
    xrandr --output DVI-I-3 --off
    xrandr --output HDMI-0 --auto --right-of DVI-I-2
}

I probably should have mentioned that I have a DVI and a VGA monitor (and that I'd like the DVI one to be the x screen) so it looks like something like this might be a solution, but I have no idea how to set something like that up.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

waffle iron posted:

Add the IP to /etc/hosts.deny and/or use denyhosts to do that automatically.

Edit: And make sure you have root logins via ssh disabled.

Isn't hosts.deny deprecated?

Anyway, -J DROP is all that's needed.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Cinelerra is rock stable, even it doesn't look pretty.

Thanks again for this. Just started composing a decent length video and it hasn't skipped a beat. Glad you gave me the push to learn how to use this thing, I no longer feel like crying in a corner over video editing any more.

Kire
Aug 25, 2006

peepsalot posted:

try putting the url in single quotes?

I did it with no quotes at first, then I tried quotes, and no luck. I'm pretty sure wget doesn't need quotes.

And I can't ping anything so the problem is with the net connection. There's very little documentation or community for the Beaglebone unfortunately so I don't know how to use putty or whatever to get this working.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Tighclops posted:

I probably should have mentioned that I have a DVI and a VGA monitor (and that I'd like the DVI one to be the x screen) so it looks like something like this might be a solution, but I have no idea how to set something like that up.

xrandr may look daunting and complicated but it really isn't. The i3 user guide has a small section on xrandr which pretty clearly explains it's basic functionality, you should be able to figure it out for your particular use from there.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Kire posted:

I did it with no quotes at first, then I tried quotes, and no luck. I'm pretty sure wget doesn't need quotes.

And I can't ping anything so the problem is with the net connection. There's very little documentation or community for the Beaglebone unfortunately so I don't know how to use putty or whatever to get this working.

Sorry, reading comprehension fail again :negative:

quote:

How can I get it to access the net, presumably through the ethernet connection to my WinXP machine?
You should plug the beaglebone ethernet into a router rather than your windows machine. It might be possible through the PC, I've never tried something like that, but I think you would have to configure windows specifically to share the network connection over that port (assuming you have 2 ethernet ports).

It should be able to DHCP once connected to a router. Have you looked over this?
http://learn.adafruit.com/beaglebone/ethernet

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Kire posted:

The command you want to run to examine your network connectivity is 'ip'. In this case 'ip route' or 'ip addr' will let you know what network, if any, it's a part of. If 'ip' isn't available try 'ifconfig'.

Putty is a telnet/ssh client so that's not going to help you get online. Other options for remotely talking to your beaglebone include a serial connection which you can use hyperterm for.

Kire
Aug 25, 2006

peepsalot posted:

It should be able to DHCP once connected to a router. Have you looked over this?
http://learn.adafruit.com/beaglebone/ethernet

Thank you, this worked!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Uh.. so my computer can't update anymore because my root partition is too full. Is there any way to increase the partition (or clean it out) without loving things up?

EDIT: More information. It's a 10GB partition (I was under the impression that that was way more than enough space) and only has about 800MB left. Using Xubuntu 12.04.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 3, 2013

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Use du to figure out where most of the space is going. Usually /var is full or something.

I usually do du --max-depth=1 | sort -n

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
GParted livecd. I've never had it break anything, even with NTFS, and even when I did stupid poo poo like stopping a resize halfway through.

filelight is better than du for seeing what's taking up space because PRETTY GRAPHS.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Xik posted:

xrandr may look daunting and complicated but it really isn't. The i3 user guide has a small section on xrandr which pretty clearly explains it's basic functionality, you should be able to figure it out for your particular use from there.

Thanks, I'll read through this tonight.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

spankmeister posted:

Use du to figure out where most of the space is going. Usually /var is full or something.

Baobab and kdirstat are both way better than du for this sort of thing, if you're not rolling text-only. You will probably need to run them as root to get sensible results for /, with something like xdg-su -c kdirstat or gksudo baobab.

You can also resize partitions just fine with gparted (do this from a liveCD/liveUSB, not on a running system). Note that this may take a painfully long time if it has to move partitions as well as resizing them.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I roll text-only. :c00lbert:

Kire
Aug 25, 2006
I'm using Angstrom, and I can't get my .profile and .bashrc files to be recognized on startup. I'm trying to follow the guide here: customizing the command line (halfway down).

.profile:
code:
# ~/.profile: executed by Bourne-compatible login shells.
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
 . ~/.bashrc
fi
# path set by /etc/profile
# export PATH
mesg n
.bashrc:
code:
# ~/.bashrc: executed by bash(1) for non-login shells.
export PS1='\h:\w\$ '
umask 022
# You may uncomment the following lines if you want `ls' to be colorized:
export LS_OPTIONS='--color=auto'
# eval `dircolors`
alias ls='ls $LS_OPTIONS'
alias ll='ls $LS_OPTIONS -l'
alias l='ls $LS_OPTIONS -lA'

# Some more alias to avoid making mistakes:
alias rm='rm -i'
alias cp='cp -i'
alias mv='mv -i'
# shell options
# autocorrect cd commands
shopt -s cdspell
# disable Ctrl-D to logout
set -o ignoreeof
# extended pattern matching
shopt -s extglob
I created a .profile and .bashrc file in the appropriate directory, /home, and checked that root is booting up using /bin/bash according to the /etc/passwd file. Am I doing this right?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Kire posted:

I created a .profile and .bashrc file in the appropriate directory, /home, and checked that root is booting up using /bin/bash according to the /etc/passwd file. Am I doing this right?

Those files need to go in your user's 'home' directory, which would be something like /home/kire - not in the directory /home

If you type cd ~ that is a shortcut to go to your home directory. Then if you type pwd you'll see the full path of your home directory. The root user's home directory is usually /root

Kire
Aug 25, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Those files need to go in your user's 'home' directory, which would be something like /home/kire - not in the directory /home

If you type cd ~ that is a shortcut to go to your home directory. Then if you type pwd you'll see the full path of your home directory. The root user's home directory is usually /root

I run as root, and I think the root user's home directory is /home. I tried putting these in /usr/etc/home but that didn't work either. Would /home/root work?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

First of all why are you running as root?
Secondly root's home folder is usually /root and not under the /home tree.
Thirdly, why are you running as root?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

spankmeister posted:

Here's what that does:
code:
du: cannot access `./.gvfs': Permission denied
4	./.Collections_pictures
4	./Desktop
4	./.gnome2_private
4	./.lyx
4	./Podcasts
4	./Public
4	./Templates
4	./Videos
4	./.xinput.d
12	./Music
12	./.onboard
16	./.mplayer
20	./.quodlibet
24	./.audacity-data
24	./.gegl-0.0
32	./.dbus
32	./.icedtea
44	./.winff
56	./.openshot
60	./.pki
72	./.speech-dispatcher
72	./.subversion
84	./.pulse
92	./.openttd
172	./.gnome2
184	./.Skype
228	./.dvdcss
252	./.fceux
384	./.fontconfig
460	./Calibre Library
472	./.gconf
496	./.kde
532	./.appdata
552	./.gimp-2.6
576	./.macromedia
880	./Games
972	./.gstreamer-0.10
1608	./.teamviewer
4136	./.adobe
8460	./.purple
15468	./Downloads
15872	./.thumbnails
32396	./.local
34048	./.mozilla
46788	./Pictures
61324	./.chocolate-doom
86516	./.rpmdb
132228	./.googleearth
288432	./Documents
308288	./.config
1412264	./.thunderbird
1449636	./.cache
3905084	.
Increasing the partition size seems easy enough with a live CD, sure, but can anyone tell me why this is happening? I allocated 10GB to something that only needed a couple of gigabytes (allegedly), why is it full now?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Kire posted:

I run as root

Don't.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
Because you used it. Its the same reason why your user profile grows in windows. The base OS probably hasn't grown any. If I'm reading the df output right you've got like a gig in email and a gig in cache for Firefox.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
So I posted this on the Ubuntu forums last week, but I had no response. Does anybody have any suggestions?

I'm trying to prepare an OEM manufacturer install of Ubuntu 12.04, and I have a few problems:
  • I need to set up a ks5.keytab, however the temporary hostname prevents this from being set up correctly, is there a way to add the ks5.keytab once the post-configuration has been completed?
  • Users need to authenticate via LDAP: I don't want users to be able to create a local user when the machine first boots, as the configuration GUI allows them to post-preparation right now.
  • I need to enable automounting of home areas once the system is prepared, however attempting to configure this breaks the oem user's ability to log in, since they no longer have a home area present with automount configured. Is it possible to get some bash scripts to run when the system first boots to configure this?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Goon Matchmaker posted:

Because you used it. Its the same reason why your user profile grows in windows. The base OS probably hasn't grown any. If I'm reading the df output right you've got like a gig in email and a gig in cache for Firefox.

An "apt-get clean" might be able to remove a bunch of old cruft in /var/cache/apt. If you are building modules via dkms (nvidia drivers, virtualbox drivers, etc.) then the kernel headers might not being removed automatically. Open synaptic and search for "linux-headers-3*" and then mark them all as "Automatically installed" (available under the Package drop-down menu) and it will resolve which can be removed. Either remove them via synaptic or run "apt-get autoremove" after closing synaptic. You can also remove old kernel versions if you feel like but you should try to keep at least two at any time, the most recent and the one before that.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

Here's what that does:

Just so you know, rm -rf ~/.cache is 100% safe, but I don't know what's in there that would take up that much space. Mind if I see ls -lh ~/.cache before you wipe it?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

My personal example of "why not to run in root" was having a coworker bitch at me that we were telling them not to do it, then another coworker comes up and wants help because she managed to delete everything in /var/db while logged in as root and it busted our software.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Goon Matchmaker posted:

a gig in cache for Firefox.

I don't even use Firefox :psyduck:. Is the .mozilla folder shared by Firefox and Thunderbird, or is it used just by Firefox? If the latter then I'll have no problems nuking it.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Just so you know, rm -rf ~/.cache is 100% safe, but I don't know what's in there that would take up that much space. Mind if I see ls -lh ~/.cache before you wipe it?

code:
mak0rz@mak0rz-MacBook:~$ ls -lh ~/.cache
total 124K
-rw-rw-r-- 1 mak0rz mak0rz    6 Feb  4 06:30 blueman-applet-1000
drwx------ 4 mak0rz mak0rz 4.0K Sep 22 12:06 chromium
drwx------ 2 mak0rz mak0rz 4.0K Feb  3 12:22 dconf
-rw-r--r-- 1 mak0rz mak0rz  16K Sep 21 17:33 event-sound-cache.tdb.ce0cdee1d605182a9bbeb44f00000011.i686-pc-linux-gnu
drwx------ 3 mak0rz mak0rz 4.0K Apr 26  2012 google-chrome
drwxrwxr-x 3 mak0rz mak0rz 4.0K May  8  2012 gwibber
drwxrwxr-x 3 mak0rz mak0rz 4.0K Jun 12  2012 ibus
drwx------ 3 mak0rz mak0rz 4.0K Apr 26  2012 indicator
drwx------ 3 mak0rz mak0rz 4.0K Apr 26  2012 indicators
drwxrwxr-x 3 mak0rz mak0rz 4.0K Apr 29  2012 Mendeley Ltd.
drwxrwxr-x 3 mak0rz mak0rz 4.0K Apr 26  2012 oneconf
drwx------ 4 mak0rz mak0rz 4.0K Apr 28  2012 rhythmbox
drwx------ 2 mak0rz mak0rz  20K Jan 31 17:42 sessions
drwxrwxr-x 8 mak0rz mak0rz 4.0K Feb  3 12:35 software-center
drwxrwxr-x 2 mak0rz mak0rz 4.0K Apr 26  2012 sso
drwx------ 2 mak0rz mak0rz 4.0K Apr 26  2012 Thunar
drwxrwxr-x 3 mak0rz mak0rz 4.0K Aug 13 16:06 ubuntuone
drwxrwxr-x 2 mak0rz mak0rz 4.0K Apr 26  2012 update-manager-core
drwx------ 3 mak0rz mak0rz 4.0K Aug 20 10:44 vlc

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
One other thing that often bloats in linux is the download directory of your package manager. It can easily grow to tens of GB for some setups. Do you know where those are saved on your distro?

Also, do run that du command (du --max-depth=1 | sort -n) in the following directories: /,/var,/tmp,~/.cache,~/.thunderbird

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

tonberrytoby posted:

One other thing that often bloats in linux is the download directory of your package manager. It can easily grow to tens of GB for some setups. Do you know where those are saved on your distro?

That's probably what it is, considering trying to install anything gives me a "no room left on device" or some such error. I have tons of space in my home partition and allocated it that way. I was under the impression only core files went to root and that was pretty much it.

tonberrytoby posted:

Also, do run that du command (du --max-depth=1 | sort -n) in the following directories: /,/var,/tmp,~/.cache,~/.thunderbird

Sorry for the long-rear end output post. I blocked out the code tags by directory to make it more readable:
code:
mak0rz@mak0rz-MacBook:/$ sudo du --max-depth=1 | sort -n
du: cannot access `./proc/2979/task/2979/ns/net': No such file or directory
du: cannot access `./proc/2979/task/2979/ns/uts': No such file or directory
du: cannot access `./proc/2979/task/2979/ns/ipc': No such file or directory
du: cannot access `./proc/2979/ns/net': No such file or directory
du: cannot access `./proc/2979/ns/uts': No such file or directory
du: cannot access `./proc/2979/ns/ipc': No such file or directory
du: cannot access `./proc/3038/task/3038/fd/4': No such file or directory
du: cannot access `./proc/3038/task/3038/fdinfo/4': No such file or directory
du: cannot access `./proc/3038/fd/4': No such file or directory
du: cannot access `./proc/3038/fdinfo/4': No such file or directory
du: cannot access `./home/mak0rz/.gvfs': Permission denied
0	./proc
0	./sys
4	./cdrom
4	./dev
4	./media
4	./mnt
4	./selinux
4	./srv
16	./lost+found
60	./tmp
976	./run
5288	./root
8784	./bin
8964	./sbin
15920	./etc
366344	./opt
378148	./boot
445596	./var
1645604	./lib
5162832	./usr
7866036	./home
15904596	.
code:
mak0rz@mak0rz-MacBook:/var$ sudo du --max-depth=1 | sort -n
4	./games
4	./local
4	./mail
24	./opt
68	./spool
5288	./backups
8120	./log
10996	./tmp
11204	./crash
159444	./cache
250436	./lib
445596	.
code:
mak0rz@mak0rz-MacBook:/tmp$ sudo du --max-depth=1 | sort -n
4	./.ICE-unix
4	./keyring-CIlQwZ
4	./.org.chromium.Chromium.TmZLtv
4	./pulse-2L9K88eMlGn7
4	./pulse-PKdhtXMmr18n
4	./ssh-WgoiccsS1751
4	./.X11-unix
8	./pulse-CcctT9RwKSB1
12	./CRX_75DAF8CB7768
60	.
code:
mak0rz@mak0rz-MacBook:~/.cache$ sudo du --max-depth=1 | sort -n
12	./indicator
16	./dconf
16	./Thunar
16	./update-manager-core
20	./indicators
20	./ubuntuone
24	./ibus
84	./vlc
104	./oneconf
568	./sessions
972	./sso
1032	./gwibber
6456	./rhythmbox
7672	./Mendeley Ltd.
30800	./software-center
666876	./google-chrome
762484	./chromium
1477212	.
I don't use Google Chrome or Gwibber either...

code:
mak0rz@mak0rz-MacBook:~/.thunderbird$ sudo du --max-depth=1 | sort -n
228	./Crash Reports
1412020	./wea9siot.default
1412264	.
As for Thunderbird: All of my accounts are IMAP. I just checked my email settings and everything was set to download (including, presumably, Gmail's "All Mail" folder which I un-subscribed from IMAP only recently). That probably takes up quite a bit of space :doh:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 4, 2013

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
Just as an FYI, you may want to check out ncdu. It's a bit easier to understand, or things like baobab or filelight if you need a gui to find out where your space is being used.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Mak0rz posted:

That's probably what it is, considering trying to install anything gives me a "no room left on device" or some such error. I have tons of space in my home partition and allocated it that way. I was under the impression only core files went to root and that was pretty much it.
That only is true on the most traditional partitioning variants. Where home,var,tmp and usr are separate partitions from root.
You can see that usr and home are each larger than everything else on the disk taken together on your system.

But with most package managers these days there is some critical stuff also placed in usr, so you normally can't split that off.
5GB for usr means that you probably have installed almost all the software. Do you really need all that?
For a system with X 10GB is a bit undersized.

From the documentation it also looks like your package files should be in /var/cache , so that seems not to be the problem.

The most solid way to fix your problem would be to move home to a different partition. But that is pretty annoying work.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I got in an argument a while back with a co-worker about 'nobody partitions disks anymore, just put everything in /'

15 minutes before the Superbowl started, we had a server go down because it had filled /var/log. Not just a 10GB /var partition, but the entire hard drive. Easy fix but it could have been prevented.

Two things that didn't help: It's a web server and debugging info was cranked to the max a couple weeks ago to diagnose a problem with a customer. It was never turned back off. Also, logrotate wasn't configured! The logs hadn't been rotated since last March. :haw:

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 4, 2013

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Depends on what you mean by "core files". If you just have two partitions, /home and /, then user-specific files go on the /home partition and everything else, including all software that you've installed, all log files, the package manager cache, documentation, everything - goes on the / partition.

For desktop/laptop use that's not automatically a terrible idea, and /home will probably still end up quite a bit larger with work or school documents, music, movies, email/browser caches, and the like. 10GB is a bit cramped for a modern distro with lots of software installed, though. My recently set up laptop is already at 8GB used on /. (I gave it a 40GB /, which is probably excessive.)

More rigorous partitioning setups generally have separate partitions for at least /home (user data), /usr (installed software not critical for basic system functions - this is almost always the biggest thing after /home), and sometimes /var (generated files like logs, caches, and print/mail spools) and /boot (files necessary for initial system boot) as well.

quote:

As for Thunderbird: All of my accounts are IMAP. I just checked my email settings and everything was set to download (including, presumably, Gmail's "All Mail" folder which I un-subscribed from IMAP only recently). That probably takes up quite a bit of space :doh:

That would do it but it's also not at all relevant to the problem if /home is on a separate partition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
code:
du * -hs | sort -h
Will get you a nice sorted summary in human readable form from the current directory.