Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

onoflalks posted:

There isn't a problem with it, but I can't wait to be Hacketted™ on Monday to see how we're all wrong.

Yeah, I thought I was misreading something or being caught out by some sort of trick wording, but it's no different to feinting or doing a stepover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mickolution posted:

Yeah, I thought I was misreading something or being caught out by some sort of trick wording, but it's no different to feinting or doing a stepover.
It's slightly different, because there is something specifically in the rules about yelling stuff which is unsporting (I don't remember the exact language but it's something vague like that). But in this case that argument really could not be made. Though that might not stop Hackett from making it.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, I'm actually looking forward to his answer tbh.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
There's no way the third one is punished. Even if you could consider it "unsporting" to yell that, the guy taking the kick could just say he kicked it "badly" and the striker reacted to it. Anything other than a goal being awarded would be absurd.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Players are yelling to each other all the time. It's ludicrous to penalize a team for communicating with each other.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

onoflalks posted:

There isn't a problem with it, but I can't wait to be Hacketted™ on Monday to see how we're all wrong.

It's great, isn't it? I'm trying to imagine the kind of tortured logic he'd have to come up with to wipe the goal off.

Borzou
Aug 22, 2010

Iranian Dentist
1. Yellow for the defender. Red for the winger. Techincally throwing a snowball is battery, no?
2. No clue. Since the contacts are not medically recommended, I guess it can be considered miscellaneous equipment? Definitely write it in match report.
3. Goal.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
Decided to comb through the laws of the game to see if I can figure out where the inevitable Hackett magic will come from for items 2 and 3. Did learn something new:

The Laws, page 40 posted:

If a direct free kick is kicked directly into the team's own goal, a corner kick is awarded to the opposing team.

Surprised at that, you'd think if they were being twattish enough to own goal themselves they'd deserve the own goal outright. Anyway. In the guidelines it states that

The Laws, page 67 posted:

A player may use equipment other than the basic equipment provided that its sole purpose is to protect him physically and it poses no danger to him or any other player.

Based on that I'm guessing Hackett will say that the extra contacts should be removed immediately, with a booking if they refuse or try to argue the point.

And then for item 3, I found....

The Laws, page 119 posted:

There are different circumstances when a player must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour, e.g. if a player:... verbally distracts an opponent during play or a restart.

So either he's going to let it go like most of us think he should, or he's gonna be a dick and call it unsporting.

I have to give this to Hackett, for all the seeming craziness he's sure managed to get a lot of people scratching their heads and memorizing rules to try to figure out what the gently caress he's on about.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

hackett posted:

No. 3 - You have to consider whether the shout was intentional to throw off the defender. If you and your assistants agree that it was deliberate and unsporting behaviour, restart with an indirect free kick to the defence from where the striker committed the foul. Otherwise award the goal.

Or something absurd like that, I bet.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Iridium posted:

And then for item 3, I found....

So either he's going to let it go like most of us think he should, or he's gonna be a dick and call it unsporting.

I have to give this to Hackett, for all the seeming craziness he's sure managed to get a lot of people scratching their heads and memorizing rules to try to figure out what the gently caress he's on about.

Number 3 seems pretty clear based on the wording. The striker wanted it near post, but the crosser sent it far post (intentionally or not). The striker read where the ball was going but the defender didn't.

To me, verbally distracting your opponent would be yelling something about a striker's girlfriend right as he's about to take a penalty. Communicating where you want the ball played or where you want your teammates can't possibly be a cautionable offence since you have no control over them.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Iridium posted:

Based on that I'm guessing Hackett will say that the extra contacts should be removed immediately, with a booking if they refuse or try to argue the point.
Going by that logic hairbands should be banned too.

He'll probably expect the ref to intervene because taking a penalty with those lens would be "unsporting conduct" - you know, the catchall for everything cheat-y that FIFA is too lazy to cover.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

Going by that logic hairbands should be banned too.

He'll probably expect the ref to intervene because taking a penalty with those lens would be "unsporting conduct" - you know, the catchall for everything cheat-y that FIFA is too lazy to cover.
Hairbands stop you tripping over your hair so they are for your safety :dance: .

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

quote:

1) Dry your face, ignore the laughter and call both players to you. First, the defender. He is guilty of unsporting behaviour in rolling the winger off the pitch, but he did not use excessive force – so it is a yellow card for him. Second, the winger. He's guilty of attempting to strike an opponent, which leaves you with no option: send him off, and restart with a direct free-kick for the initial trip.

2) No. In the time available, you cannot judge what effect these lenses will have. Your instinct may be that it represents unsporting behaviour, but really this is an issue to be dealt with by the authorities after the game. Provided they have not delayed the taking of the kicks, allow the shoot-out to continue.

3) Allow the goal. The defender should react to what he is seeing, not to what is being shouted. If the attacking player had shouted "Leave it!" or "My ball!" then I would have disallowed the goal and cautioned the forward for deceiving an opponent, which represents unsporting behaviour. As it is, this is the sort of shout that happens plenty of times in a game: defenders need to be alert.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
Penalising 'leave it' and 'my ball'? Surely attacking players shout this all the time, too.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Esposito posted:

Penalising 'leave it' and 'my ball'? Surely attacking players shout this all the time, too.

I don't know if it's ever actually penalised or if players do it, but it is against the rules.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I was always taught it was an offence if it was done specifically to decieve. Yelling "it's mine" when it's dropping on your chest and no opponent within twenty yards of you, fine. Calling "lay it off, I'm free", to your mate to get him to pass it to you, also fine. ("But ref, he didn't put a name on it! You have to put a name on it!" :fuckoff: ) Calling "outside you, give it!" to an opponent to get him to pass to you, unsporting behaviour.

Interestingly, in Rugby Union, that home of gentlemanly behaviour (and only a little eye-gouging), they think that if you throw a no-look pass just because someone said "inside you, mate!" and it turns out to have been an opponent, then it's your own stupid fault for giving the ball to anyone who asks for it without checking who it is.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I guess it works if the intent to deceive is blatant. But what if you change your mind between your call and the arrival of the ball? You could always shout "it's mine" and find that your mate is in a prime position to take a shot. It's effectively a penalisation of quick thinking too.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Well, I wouldn't ping a player who called "mine" when a team-mate played it to him, and then dummied it to go to someone else, either. The way I was taught, you have to be directly taking possession off an opponent with the shout.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

I'm quite disappointed that these all seem to be pretty logical outcomes

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
It seems pretty clear that in the real world, it's the sort of thing you only ever penalize when you're certain the player did it specifically to deceive the opponent. Any random chain of events that leads to the attacker gaining an advantage by pure stroke of luck shouldn't mean he gets punished for calling "to me" and misjudging the situation.

If the defender is in doubt, he's always allowed to just boot it into row Z so it seems obvious that you'd let it slide unless the attacker is very obviously trying to deceive the defender.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Jamie Cureton got sent off a few seasons back because he turned around and kicked a former teammate who shouted "Jacks" at him (meaning "leave it"). What this proved was that while it might technically be against the rules to deliberately deceive a player, it's really hard to prove that it happened since mostly the referee won't hear it. It also proves that kicking people gets you sent off, dur. And that Jamie Cureton was a bit poo poo for QPR. So there we go.

A surprising (and frankly, disappointing) amount of sense from Hackett this week.

GSgtReaver
Dec 12, 2012

What'cha thinks in my pipe?
1: Hulk Smash the player.

2: Tell the player he's a dumb oval office.

3: Laugh.

Oh wait, I'm a terrible ref.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
The transfer window's closed, now it's time to get back to what's really important about football:

1) Rip the defender's shirt off too then caution him for violating the Fourth Law of Football
2) Point out that you're in short sleeves and shorts and tell him to grow a pair. Punch him in the face
3) Laugh at old butterfingers here and then kick him in the teeth while he's on the floor

1) Caution the defender, send off the keeper, restart with a penalty
2) Only the goalkeeper is specifically mentioned as being allowed to wear track pants. No way
3) Keeper committed an infraction when he touched the ball. There's no advantage to be played as the striker's action is also an infraction. Restart with an IDFK to the striker's team positioned according to Law 13

Lamont Cranston fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 1, 2013

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
1. Advantage on the shirt rip which will become a yellow. Red for the keeper for DOGSO. Penalty kick, but make the guy find a shirt first. Red for the equipment manager, because he probably forgot to bring one.
2. Can't see the shin guards. No dice.
3. Wasn't enough possession for a foul. Goal.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

1. PK, caution the defender for USB, send off the goalkeeper for DOGSO.

2. In the US, this is fine. I don't know what the answer will be in England though. Punch him in the face for being a sissy either way.

{EDIT: Took me a bit to find the memo. http://www.ussoccer.com/news/other/2007/06/june-2007-archive-i-of-i.aspx Mentions "As to cold weather gear, we have already responded that players may wear tracksuit bottoms, as long as they are uniform for the entire team." Again, I don't know what the FA's rules are on this, but USSF = fine)

3. Keeper handled a backpass, but was then fouled by the striker, so advantage can't be played. IFK for the attacking team.

chaoslord fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 1, 2013

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
1. Penalty, get the shirt situation sorted out after you've blown for the penalty. Send off the keeper for DOGSO and book the player for stripping the defender.

2. Play in what was agreed before the match. Run about a bit more to warm up or something.

3. The keeper took control of the ball, so IDFK where he handled it.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
1. Yellow to the guy who ripped the shirt, red to the keeper, penalty... but the striker has to go off and get a new shirt before he can come back on.

2. I think shorts are required, only the keeper can wear pants. Tell him sorry.

3. Disallow the goal, IDFK to the keeper.

e: Ugh, forgot about the backpass in 3. :/

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
These all seem fairly simple and I agree with what has been posted already by a bunch of people.

I'd also send off the kit manufacturer for making shirts that literally fall apart.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER

1.) DOGSO, yellow for the defender, red for the keeper, penalty, and find a new shirt.
2.) Allow it, either only for the keeper or for the entire team. And allow it for my ARs.
3.) Does the keeper have control? If not, and it's in the net, allow the goal since it's simply 2 players going after the ball. If he has control before it's poked into the net, then IDFK, and yellow for the keeper for deliberate handling.

Bio-Hazard fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 1, 2013

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Lamont Cranston posted:

The transfer window's closed, now it's time to get back to what's really important about football:

1) Yellow to the guy who ripped the shirt and red to the keeper.
2) Tell the player to suck it and punch him.
3) Going with everyone else in the thread IDK for the attacking team.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
First YAtR guess, and I'm probably way wrong...

2 and 3 seem straightforward but I'm wondering if we are to award a red card for violent conduct when the defender (violently) rips off the strikers shirt. Could this be the twist?

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Lamont Cranston posted:

1) Rip the defender's shirt off too then caution him for violating the Fourth Law of Football
2) Point out that you're in short sleeves and shorts and tell him to grow a pair. Punch him in the face
3) Laugh at old butterfingers here and then kick him in the teeth while he's on the floor

1) Caution the defender, send off the keeper, restart with a penalty
2) Only the goalkeeper is specifically mentioned as being allowed to wear track pants. No way
3) Keeper committed an infraction when he touched the ball. There's no advantage to be played as the striker's action is also an infraction. Restart with an IDFK to the striker's team positioned according to Law 13

1: Yellow and advantage for the shirt rip, then penalty and red for the keeper bringing the striker down. Make the striker get a new shirt.

2: Tell him to harden up.

3: Keeper had control of the ball, but handling a backpass is an indirect free kick from where the keeper handled it. If the striker has kicked the ball out of the goalkeeper's hands well after he's established control of it, then it's a yellow card and defensive free kick. If the striker made contact with the goalie and it was late, then straight red.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

First YAtR guess, and I'm probably way wrong...

2 and 3 seem straightforward but I'm wondering if we are to award a red card for violent conduct when the defender (violently) rips off the strikers shirt. Could this be the twist?

If he's challenging for the ball then it'd be serious foul play, and not violent conduct.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Ah, grasshopper; but is ripping someone's shirt off a potentially valid way of challenging for the ball? If someone is getting harried from behind and elbows them in retaliation, I'd send it in as violent conduct, not serious foul play...

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

quote:

1) A terrific question – it just illustrates how you need to be prepared for anything, and for decisions which involve several elements. First, dismiss the goalkeeper for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity. Second, dismiss the defender for using excessive force in violently ripping the shirt. Once the defending team have a new goalkeeper in place – either an outfield player or a sub – restart with a penalty kick.

2) No. The laws allow for a goalkeeper to wear tracksuit bottoms but not outfield players, who should be wearing shorts. If they really insist, I would let them play in tights, providing they are the same main colour as the shorts.

3) There are two offences here, and they happened almost simultaneously: the keeper handling a backpass, and the striker dispossessing him. If you follow the letter of the Law, you should respond to simultaneous offences with a dropped ball, but in practice it is far better to be decisive and rule which offence came first. I would say that the handling of the backpass was the first infringement, as it was the backpass itself that led to the incident. So disallow the goal and restart with an indirect free-kick to the attacking side. You should, though, also caution the forward for endangering an opponent.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was about to comment on how Hackett is continuing his unusual run of common sense but then I realised that he just said he would let a team play in tights.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Tunga posted:

I was about to comment on how Hackett is continuing his unusual run of common sense but then I realised that he just said he would let a team play in tights.

Surely he means long johns?

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
Or those skins things that go under shorts?

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Um, with #1 that doesn't seem right. If you're going to dismiss the defender for yanking the shirt, shouldn't you blow it dead right there?

And I just checked, and apparently the only place you can play advantage after a red-card offence is if there's a goalscoring opportunity afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Esposito posted:

Or those skins things that go under shorts?

Ryan Giggs went a good while one season playing in full-length compression shorts, so they're definitely legal.

• Locked thread