Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
I took the IR filter out of my old DSLR last year; it really isn't that hard. As long as you have a really tiny screwdriver, a soldering iron, and the organizational skills to keep track of a million tiny screws it can be done in under 2 hours. The visible filter I use is a 750 and cost around $30. All the 900nm ones I saw were really expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I now have a good reason to regret not picking up a *ist-DS for $100 back in September - that seems like the perfect device to risk completely ruining by skipping a screwdriver across a sensor during clumsy dissassembly.

In other news, I have posted a Scientific & Technical imaging thread, as was discussed in the Film thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531746

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Kind of a neat story from the other day. I was doing some photography stuff at the Onne Van Der Wal Photography Gallery, and in return Onne and his wife gave me a couple calenders as well as chatted for a little bit. Now Onne Van Der Wal is a pretty big name in terms of nautical photography, sponsored by Canon, etc...and his photo credits on the calender read like a wish list of canon fanboys. 5dmk3's 70-200 f/2.8's, 24-70L, a 500mm lens, etc.

Then there's this shot, which apparently also won best yacht photo for what that's worth.

The credit for this image: Canon PowerShot GI X, f/8, 1/500, ISO 200.

I guess this just goes to show you, that the best camera you can take a picture with, is the one you have on you.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

But the G1X is a gamechanger!!!

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I wish I had noticed earlier or I would have asked him, but I imagine he just grabbed someone elses Powershot and snapped it quickly. I can't imagine him carrying a Powershot around.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

The G1X is the top of the line powershot though, it's got a big sensor in it and is marketed as a carry around camera for people who also already own things like a 5dmkiii. I wouldn't be shocked if it was his.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong1x

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Mr. Despair posted:

The G1X is the top of the line powershot though, it's got a big sensor in it and is marketed as a carry around camera for people who also already own things like a 5dmkiii. I wouldn't be shocked if it was his.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong1x

Hmm the more you know! It still strikes me as unusual.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

Hmm the more you know! It still strikes me as unusual.

Photographers love carrying around extra cameras. The more they can hang from their body the happier they are.

G1X is relatively compact, no reason not to stuff one in a pocket.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

xzzy posted:

Photographers love carrying around extra cameras. The more they can hang from their body the happier they are.

G1X is relatively compact, no reason not to stuff one in a pocket.

I hate carrying more than one camera.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I think the G1x would be perfect if it didn't have the fly by wire zoom and had a hybrid viewfinder like a x100. Sometimes you just don't want to haul around a bunch of poo poo.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Canadians will be familiar with Hinterland Who's Who, the long-running (this year is their 50th anniversary) series of video vignettes about Canadian wildlife.
Photographers will be familiar with benches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ_6gTTjbiw

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Whitezombi posted:

I hate carrying more than one camera.

That is why you fail.

Seriously, I don't get why anyone would be surprised that a legitimate pro carries around a high end P&S for quick snapshots. I'd be more surprised to hear that they either had a fully loaded DSLR set-up or nothing. Some people want to go out and have a good time without five pounds of camera hanging off of them at all times but still not miss any potential photo moments.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

mr. mephistopheles posted:

That is why you fail.

Seriously, I don't get why anyone would be surprised that a legitimate pro carries around a high end P&S for quick snapshots. I'd be more surprised to hear that they either had a fully loaded DSLR set-up or nothing. Some people want to go out and have a good time without five pounds of camera hanging off of them at all times but still not miss any potential photo moments.

I don't go anywhere without a serious camera. I even keep a 6x9 folder in the trunk of my car loaded with Portra 400 just in case.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Wow, I don't take my cameras anywhere if I don't have a shoot. Not counting my phone, that is.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Now that I have a cameraphone I don't take out my SRS BSNS cameras out for anything other than SRS BSNS.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
It's really not a big deal, I always have should bag with me to carry things like books and allergy meds. I can't leave the house without a book (kindle these days) either.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

That is why you fail.

I am a failure. :bang:

I never said I didn't carry more than one camera. I just hate it. I usually have my backpack with 6 lenses, a flash, various poo poo & a tripod. Try hiking with all that poo poo.

I only have 2 other cameras - both film - one is dead & I haven't shot film in ages. I usually use my iPhone for quick shot for reminders to go back and shoot. I wish I had the cash for something like a X100 - I'd carry that always.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I came here to post about how this add had way too much gratuitous use of the clarity slider, but after watching it a second time it's much better than I remember so I'll post it as a really good example of photographs being used in a relatively unconventional way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sillEgUHGC4

edit:

Elendil004 posted:

I wish I had noticed earlier or I would have asked him, but I imagine he just grabbed someone elses Powershot and snapped it quickly. I can't imagine him carrying a Powershot around.

I suspect that since he's sponsored by Canon, they gave him one in hopes that he could show what the camera was capable of. It really paid off for them, obviously.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 4, 2013

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I came here to post about how this add had way too much gratuitous use of the clarity slider, but after watching it a second time it's much better than I remember so I'll post it as a really good example of photographs being used in a relatively unconventional way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sillEgUHGC4

That ad is so over the top :911:, I just can't take it too seriously.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Baryshnikov and Ben Lowy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zcFaJGmg0w

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Fragrag posted:

That ad is so over the top :911:, I just can't take it too seriously.

Two loving minutes of that poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The thought process is what gets me. FARMERS ARE AWESOME (so buy our truck please). It's one thing to patronize people, another to sell them stuff, but patronizing AND selling saps every ounce of sincerity out of the attempt.

That said, the photographs were pretty good stuff and is the only reason I stayed tuned in to it. Wasn't really a fan of the animation they did to some of the shots but considering it's TV I guess it's reasonable to expect stuff to move.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

That ad is pretty drat textbook. If if makes you uncomfortable that's a good thing and I recommend the following pro-click:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmUzwRCyTSo

Spime Wrangler fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 4, 2013

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
In other news, I can't believe how much the word "iPhoneography" annoys me. Or "iPhoneographer". But maybe I just don't understand, because I'm a Nikonographer.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Couple the iphonography state of mind with this app [http://www.tuaw.com/2013/02/05/thirty-six-app-makes-you-a-thoughtful-photographer-again] and :psyduck:

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Instagramification

Instagramification

Instagramification

I know people do this to a lot of words, but holy poo poo, all of the various meanings wrapped up in there...

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Michael Grothaus posted:

We spoke about the state of the photography industry, the Instagramification of consumer photography and the future of digital photography.

What the hell does this even mean?!

iPhoneography I got from dpreview's interview.

dpreview posted:

Photojournalist and iPhoneographer Ben Lowy

:stare:

Can I just sell my cameras and be done with it?

e: \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ I've also been a NokiaPureViewographer for years. Heh, scrubs. :smug:

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 6, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The term has less to do with photography and more to do with Apple customers and an enormous superiority complex. They don't have just a personal computer, they have a Mac. It's not just a smartphone, it's an iPhone. :smug:

I've been using Apple hardware since the 80's and the attitude has always been there, it drives me up the wall. They spent extra money to get their computer, and dammit, the world has to know about it!

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

A sort of test to know if someone is a full iphoneographer is whether they have Sprint's unlimited plan.

quote:

The miraculous is everywhere.
In our homes, in our minds.
We can share every second
in data dressed as pixels.
A billion roaming photojournalists ...
Uploading the human experience.
And it is spectacular.
So why would you cap that?
My iPhone 5 can see every point of view ...
Every panorama. The entire gallery of humanity.
I need to upload all of me.
I need, no, I have the right to be unlimited.
Only Sprint offers Truly Unlimited data
for iPhone 5.

:smug:

Every second of my baby in real time data ya'll. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frKZyFYxQCY

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

It is kind of annoying how people talk about instagram as shorthand for adding filters to phone snapshots when instagram is more about the actual social network attached than the filters.

Not to mention that everyone raging about filters to make things look lo-fi are forgetting that black and white photography is basically embracing the retro aesthetic of the inability to produce color easily that became artistic tradition because it was the easiest and cheapest medium of photography for a long time.

I'm sure someone with an art history or photography theory background could articulate it better than me but we've always venerated older mediums as a society. People are still super into film aesthetic now, people still think black and white photography is awesome.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
I guess part of the reason people get annoyed is that there's often no appreciation of where the aesthetic came from. Everyone knows that the first photographs were black and white, but does the typical instagram user know that the colour cast on filter X comes from old-school film Y? Probably not.

The thing that gets me is the wilful discarding of information. You save the version with the filters applied, not the original (I assume).

quote:

Instead of having a body of work to look back on, you’ll have a sad little collection of noisy digital files that were disposable when you made them, instantly forgotten by your followers (after they gave you a thumbs up), and now totally worthless.

http://kennethjarecke.typepad.com/mostly_true/2012/10/instagram-the-devil-and-you.html

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I'm a big Instagram user, but I use different apps to actually make the photos, then just use Instagram to share them. So I've got all the originals saved for that reason.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I feel like I've already said this, but instagram isn't about "creating a body of work" and I think you're kind of using it wrong if you're trying to do that. You can photograph deep meaningful art projects AND instagram your food and shoes you guys. It's like complaining about disposable cameras on vacation. I don't know why the media keeps trying to equate to like, a real Thing. Phone photography is a real thing. Instagram is just a fun app.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

xzzy posted:

The term has less to do with photography and more to do with Apple customers and an enormous superiority complex. They don't have just a personal computer, they have a Mac. It's not just a smartphone, it's an iPhone. :smug:

I've been using Apple hardware since the 80's and the attitude has always been there, it drives me up the wall. They spent extra money to get their computer, and dammit, the world has to know about it!

I've never forgiven Apple for ditching their awesome rainbow logo, and I never will. :colbert:

Also check out their pretty ridiculous original logo.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Hipstamatic G 'till I die. Or my iPhone dies. Or Hipstamatic goes out of business. Or whatever.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Pictures of the Year International judging has begun, there are live webcasts each day if you're a fan of hearing an automated "out" every two seconds for photos that you would kill to have in your own portfolio.

http://www.poyi.org/

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!

xzzy posted:

I met a dude yesterday who insisted that Macs aren't even computers. He didn't really have a new term to describe them, but they are (his words) computers evolved. :suicide:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

David Pratt posted:

I guess part of the reason people get annoyed is that there's often no appreciation of where the aesthetic came from. Everyone knows that the first photographs were black and white, but does the typical instagram user know that the colour cast on filter X comes from old-school film Y? Probably not.

The thing that gets me is the wilful discarding of information. You save the version with the filters applied, not the original (I assume).

http://kennethjarecke.typepad.com/mostly_true/2012/10/instagram-the-devil-and-you.html

instagram saves the regular photo to the camera roll as well as the edited one on my iPhone at least.

I don't think you need appreciation of the aesthetic's origins to engage with something like instagram. Maybe if you were having a gallery show or art book based on instagram it would help.

There just seems to be so much weird anger towards instagram by people who don't even really use it much. It's like when twitter was first starting out, it's up to you to cultivate your feed. I follow awesome people on both and weed out the ones that I can't be bothered with.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

big scary monsters posted:

I've never forgiven Apple for ditching their awesome rainbow logo, and I never will. :colbert:

Also check out their pretty ridiculous original logo.

Apple's rainbow logo always looked weird to me because while it has all the colors it's slightly out of ROYGBIV order and reminds me of bad VHS tracking issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

geeves posted:

Apple's rainbow logo always looked weird to me because while it has all the colors it's slightly out of ROYGBIV order and reminds me of bad VHS tracking issues.

If you google around, the guy who made the logo claims the colors were all randomly placed, except for green because they wanted the leaf green.

So I guess by putting green at the top, they already broke the option to make a "proper" rainbow.