Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I also like the new WW screenshots. I think they look really nice and can't wait to see other areas of the game beyond Windfall redone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Widdiful posted:

I hope I'm not the only one who likes the bloom in WWHD.

I like it, I just don't think it's worth $60

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Veotax posted:

I like it, I just don't think it's worth $60

We all like cheap, but when a used copy of the game in complete condition is hovering around $50 shipped, this seems like a decent alternative.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

zenintrude posted:

We all like cheap, but when a used copy of the game in complete condition is hovering around $50 shipped, this seems like a decent alternative.

Problem is that most of the people complaining are comparing it to a pirated version of the game run on an emulator that pumps the resolution up.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

socialsecurity posted:

Problem is that most of the people complaining are comparing it to a pirated version of the game run on an emulator that pumps the resolution up.

No, it's more like a comparison to every other hd re-release of a early 21st century console generation game, ever. What for example, would make the wind waker three times more valuable than the Metal Gear Solid collection, or Beyond Good and Evil?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

greatn posted:

No, it's more like a comparison to every other hd re-release of a early 21st century console generation game, ever. What for example, would make the wind waker three times more valuable than the Metal Gear Solid collection, or Beyond Good and Evil?

Being a better game than either of those examples. :smug:

Paper_Masochist
Oct 21, 2008
I hate it whenever this thread talks about pricing. I get all depressed at the amount of money I'd throw at Nintendo for pretty much anything ever.

I'd pay $60 for a Wind Waker I can play on my gamepad with no additional changes. Oh God.

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL

greatn posted:

We don't know that it is a completely apt comparison yet, though. Very little information on what exactly they are and aren't doing with Wind Waker HD is floating around, so while it's extremely possible it won't have anything new to supposedly make it worth the price, it's too soon to really make calls.

It is worth nothing that a new copy of original Gamecube Wind Waker is a fair bit pricier than the original copies of those games, though, and the disparity is even larger with used copies.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

socialsecurity posted:

But don't you think it's fair to request a fair price for what is essentially the same game running on different hardware? Especially since other companies have not only released HD versions for less, but also collections of HD versions for less? Of course, this assumes that the $60 price tag is accurate and not just a placeholder.

(Also, only because it's running on an emulator doesn't mean it's pirated. Simply having a Wii makes it very easy to dump retail GC and Wii discs.)

Veotax
May 16, 2006

zenintrude posted:

Shadow of the Colossus goes for about £60 used on the PS2, still came out for about £30 in an HD collection for the PS3 with Ico.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

But don't you think it's fair to request a fair price for what is essentially the same game running on different hardware? Especially since other companies have not only released HD versions for less, but also collections of HD versions for less? Of course, this assumes that the $60 price tag is accurate and not just a placeholder.

(Also, only because it's running on an emulator doesn't mean it's pirated. Simply having a Wii makes it very easy to dump retail GC and Wii discs.)

"Fair price" is what the market will buy a product for, and we know that Nintendo products usually have a higher sale value than other, similar, products in the marketplace. Personally? I think asking more than $50 is a bit unreasonable, and I think $40 would be perfect. That said, if the restore the removed dungeons and tweak the game a bit, I'd gladly pay $60 for it.

And we probably shouldn't go down this path here, but depending on where you live, dumping images of GC and Wii discs could very much be pirating, even if you're only using them for personal use.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Raizor posted:

It is worth nothing that a new copy of original Gamecube Wind Waker is a fair bit pricier than the original copies of those games, though, and the disparity is even larger with used copies.

I really think this is flawed reasoning. If companies priced games based on resale value the XBLA version of Symphony of the Night would have been more expensive than the $10 it came out at. It's an old game it takes less work to make a HD release than a brand new game it shouldn't be priced like a brand new game.

But again hopefully this is either a placeholder price or they do in fact go in and fix some of the pacing problems with the end of that game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh it almost certainly is just a placeholder price. I just find it unbelievable how many people are willing to fork over $60 if it were the real price.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

greatn posted:

Oh it almost certainly is just a placeholder price. I just find it unbelievable how many people are willing to fork over $60 if it were the real price.

Don't see why, its a game they love, or want to try because other loves it. It works on a new system, and not everyone wants to, or has the ability to emulate the old games.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Edoraz posted:

Common...game dev technical demos? Actually, does anyone have the screenshots from the 2012 Zelda tech? Why not start comparing from there.

What? You're assuming it's on a different engine because...? I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that it's the same engine.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I played some Super Mario Bros. U with my little brother today. He's 6. We used a star on the map and he goes "Rick, we goin' hard."

I was so thrilled

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL

Atomicated posted:

I really think this is flawed reasoning. If companies priced games based on resale value the XBLA version of Symphony of the Night would have been more expensive than the $10 it came out at. It's an old game it takes less work to make a HD release than a brand new game it shouldn't be priced like a brand new game.

Because it is flawed reasoning. Wind Waker on the Gamecube is only as expensive as it is because of scarcity, and the HD rerelease will not be in short supply. But if people will pay sixty dollars for the game, I could very easily see why they'd price it in that range. If you don't already own the game your only other cheaper options are buying the standard definition of the game used without whatever possibly (in)substantial additions the Wii U game would have (and this is only like $10 cheaper), or piracy. A cheaper price would largely be to win over the people who already have the game, though of course those who haven't played it would be more likely to spring for it if it was half the price as well.

It doesn't matter though because yeah, it is probably a placeholder.

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO
Despite being a very casual follower of the NFL, I felt the need to play virtual gridiron during the NFL playoffs. So I warn you fellow goons to avoid Madden 13. It's on sale at most places at $30-40 dollar range but don't be tempted. While the gameplay remains solid, but it is killed by frame issues and constant loading. EVERY snap is a lag-fest. Everytime the play stops the game chugs to load up the next play.The game even has a slow loading pause when you change players on a depth chart. The game looks looks disappointingly poor compared to its other console siblings.

A real disappointment, avoid Madden 13.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Wind Waker for GameCube is going for $50!? Might be time to sell my copy, would make the upgrade to the HD version cheap, even if they do charge a full $60 for it.

Any takers? ;)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think it's very popular in the speedrunning community right now. Is there a particular version where certain glitches were fixed?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

McFunkerson posted:

Wind Waker for GameCube is going for $50!? Might be time to sell my copy, would make the upgrade to the HD version cheap, even if they do charge a full $60 for it.

Any takers? ;)

I sold mine to my sister for $25 so probably a good time to let her know she could get $50 for it.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
There are way too many :words: in this thread about WWHD. Regardless of the price, I think it's awesome that a ton of people who didn't own a Gamecube will get the chance to play it and enjoy it. Adding bloom and calling it good is fine with me. I just want to play my favorite Zelda title in 1080p without using an emulator.

I also love the idea of the internet revisiting the YCS-esque 'discussions' that the cel-shading induced 10 years ago. Can't wait to have more of that!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

VarrosAnon posted:

I also love the idea of the internet revisiting the YCS-esque 'discussions' that the cel-shading induced 10 years ago. Can't wait to have more of that!

Oh god, I would like to believe we've moved past this as a society.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

VarrosAnon posted:

There are way too many :words: in this thread about WWHD. Regardless of the price, I think it's awesome that a ton of people who didn't own a Gamecube will get the chance to play it and enjoy it. Adding bloom and calling it good is fine with me. I just want to play my favorite Zelda title in 1080p without using an emulator.

I wouldn't be confident that 1080p is a given. I would hope so, but NSMBU wasn't even 1080p and I can't imagine it being all that graphically intensive.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

VarrosAnon posted:

I think Iwata mentioned something like that in the presentation...so that'd be another motivator to set it at $60, might be old for us but it'd be a new game to a lot of folks :v:

In other news, the recent investor Q&A got translated and put up:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/130131qa/index.html

I guess this is the most useful tidbit for here:

quote:

The time frame I have in mind within which to enrich our software lineup with titles that communicate better the true appeal of our hardware is not an excessively long one. Except for "Wii Street U powered by Google," which I demonstrated to you a while ago, and other titles already announced, a month or two is certainly not adequate to release a large number of titles, but we are hoping to be able to communicate to our consumers the new value of our hardware with titles that we are going to launch from approximately the second half of the calendar year toward the end. [...] In addition, I believe that we will be able to launch new software within this year that we have not yet announced at this point.
Basically hope for a flood of stuff after E3. And from the earlier investor presentation along with some stuff here, it sounds like their dev kits weren't really finalized until Q3 (i.e. right before launch, but that's out of the ordinary for new console launches iirc), and that they're just starting on some project to streamline development. It kind of sounds like a middleware solution or some other standard portable dev target, you'd think that they would've already had something like that years ago v:shobon:v

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
It all sort of surprises me that Nintendo took this long to be ready. It should have been a new console in November of 2011 not 2012. I don't know what took Nintendo so long in development but they were certainly not ready even for the 2012 launch.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

VarrosAnon posted:

Given the Zelda tech demos that preceded the announcements for Wind Waker and Wind Waker HD, expect those 'discussions' to be exacerbated.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

japtor posted:

I think Iwata mentioned something like that in the presentation...so that'd be another motivator to set it at $60, might be old for us but it'd be a new game to a lot of folks :v:

That is not a good reason to have an HD rerelease for $60, has an hd rerelease for any console game sold at that price point?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Spacebump posted:

That is not a good reason to have an HD rerelease for $60, has an hd rerelease for any console game sold at that price point?

Nintendo sold a SNES rom on a DVD for $30... you are out of your mind if you don't think that they'd charge full price for one of their remakes. Case in point: OoT on 3DS.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Does OoT count when they went to a lot of effort to remake other stuff and change the game around at times?

Spacebump posted:

The only one I can immediately think off off-hand is Under Defeat HD, where the original Japanese release retailed somewhere around $120? But that's Japan's busted rear end retail system at work.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

zenintrude posted:

Nintendo sold a SNES rom on a DVD for $30... you are out of your mind if you don't think that they'd charge full price for one of their remakes. Case in point: OoT on 3DS.

And a lot of people will be more than happy to buy it. Others will grumble and still buy it. A smaller subset will scream about it loudly on the internet and then buy it a week later. You get the point. The bottom line is that if people will pay then someone will sell.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

zenintrude posted:

Well that wasn't a simple re-release. Tons of things were re-animated and re-textured, and it had a lot of bonus content. Plus it was squeezed into a mobile platform.

If they do something similar for Windwaker, including a whole NG+ mode with new puzzles and higher difficulty, that would certainly be worth $50 or $60 to me.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 4, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

there already was NG+ in Wind Waker, you wore the pajamas and started with the color camera :v:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I'd pay sixty bucks for it if they include the cut dungeons.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

there already was NG+ in Wind Waker, you wore the pajamas and started with the color camera :v:

The pajamas were awesome but gently caress the camera. That was like trying to get 100% scans in Metroid Prime but a thousand times worse.

Southpaw Wusky
Oct 23, 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom_effect

What bloom? There's no bloom shader at all, only nicer shades (or dynamic lighting, but I'm doubtful.)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Is there any sign thar Nintendo is going to make it so digital purchases aren't tied to a single console?
Right now its the disadvantages of digital with none of the benefits.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I seem to remember some quote from aeons past that they realize some people will want a Wii U to Wii U system transfer function, and that they may introduce that eventually.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
That's utterly mind boggling. Until it's in, buying something from digital distribution is just stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!

Dr Pepper posted:

Is there any sign thar Nintendo is going to make it so digital purchases aren't tied to a single console?
Right now its the disadvantages of digital with none of the benefits.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I believe eShop purchases are already linked to your Nintendo Network account. The issue right now is that the accounts are hard locked to the system. Presumably, that will change given that the setup process gives you the option to log into an existing NN account.

• Locked thread