Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
iPhone 4S / iOS 6.1, OS X version of jailbreak worked flawlessly and took about 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

Klowns posted:

As expected the download servers are being slamed and the download speed is poo poo, so I'm hosting them as well:

Windows

Mac

Linux

Thanks, just downloaded. Can someone explain the steps to using this for stupid people?

Edit: nevermind, it's going, thanks again.

JiUC fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 4, 2013

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
If I've got a jailbroken phone on 5.0.1, should I wipe it before updating to 6.1 or am I good to go?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Has anyone else had it stay on "Finding offsets..." for an extended period?

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
1. Plug in phone
2. Remove your lockscreen password (if applicable) and any iTunes passwords (if applicable)
3. Unzip folder
4. Double click evasi0n icon
5. Follow onscreen instructions

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

JiUC posted:

Thanks, just downloaded. Can someone explain the steps to using this for stupid people?

Edit: mac version. I downloaded and ran the program but it didn't seem to do anything.

Uh... plug in your phone? Click jailbreak button? Click the Jailbreak icon on your phone when it tells you to?

Really, I don't think it's possible for it to be any simpler.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Worked first try on GSM iPhone 5, quite simple.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Also as expected Cydia repos are currently making GBS threads themselves so don't expect to actually do anything for a day or two once you JB successfully!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Lum_ posted:

Also as expected Cydia repos are currently making GBS threads themselves so don't expect to actually do anything for a day or two once you JB successfully!

Most especially, things that cost money on Cydia (even if you already paid for them) are like, failing out upon redownload because it feels like/seems like the pay system is just.. borked/gone?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Someone posted a link to a collection of info on Cydia apps that were updated, etc...I can't find it in the thread, does anyone have that link?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Well that was easy

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Begall posted:

If I've got a jailbroken phone on 5.0.1, should I wipe it before updating to 6.1 or am I good to go?

Just make sure you update through iTunes.

Lum_ posted:

I can't log in to my Cydia account but I pulled up Zephyr and it brought up the option to install after a little bit. But yeah it's definitely going to get worse as the day goes on.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

ihatepants posted:

Is there a tutorial somewhere for how to upgrade my ipod touch 4g to 5.1.1 from a currently jailbroken 4.3.3? Most of the ones I've found online only talk about a downgrade from iOS6. I have the shsh stored for it through TinyUmbrella. I don't want to use iOS6 because I need the ability to use wiki2touch with it.
I don't think you could get to 5.1.1. since it's not being signed anymore. Did you save your SHSHs or whatevers?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I got into Cydia and have loaded up app screens, but all attempts to download anything are failing out spectacularly.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Christoff posted:

Well that was easy

Yup, that was simple. Tried to hop on Cydia just to pick up SBSettings, and yes everyone on there is just getting slammed.

Oh well, at least the Jailbreak process was simple!

Vicious
Mar 4, 2003

I am owned by Puttz
Jailbreak was a piece of cake. Hopped around Cydia for a bit, but couldn't download SBSettings. I powered off my phone and powered it back on.... and it's stuck at the white apple logo. Anyone else? Or just me?

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
The "evasion 6.x Untether" package that was part of the JB already has an upgrade in Cydia :pwn:

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
I'm getting a lot of the packages I want from CydiaUpdates as linked above.

e: except those on BigBoss, specifically

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
About a year ago there was a good discussion about good BytaFont fonts. One was HattoriHanzo. Another was awesome. It was really elegant. I don't remember the name.

Anyone?

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006
ZOMG, Where'd my old account go?!?
I haven't been jailbroken in so long I forget why I want to.. I guess I'll go through my Cydia purchased apps which'll remind me :P

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Vicious posted:

Jailbreak was a piece of cake. Hopped around Cydia for a bit, but couldn't download SBSettings. I powered off my phone and powered it back on.... and it's stuck at the white apple logo. Anyone else? Or just me?

Same. I got stuck at the logo. I rebooted twice, and it came back on.

Looks like there's some bugs in the jailbreak. :/

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

Feenix posted:

About a year ago there was a good discussion about good BytaFont fonts. One was HattoriHanzo. Another was awesome. It was really elegant. I don't remember the name.

Anyone?

Carme Font?

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

jeffersonlives posted:

I got into Cydia and have loaded up app screens, but all attempts to download anything are failing out spectacularly.

Paid packages are currently a lost cause. Free ones seem to be hit-or-miss. Don't bother trying the absurdly popular ones like WinterBoard.

Vicious
Mar 4, 2003

I am owned by Puttz

Xenomorph posted:

Same. I got stuck at the logo. I rebooted twice, and it came back on.

Looks like there's some bugs in the jailbreak. :/

Yeah, two very panicked reboots later it finally booted all the way in.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Klowns posted:

Carme Font?

No I don't believe so.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Lum_ posted:

Uh... plug in your phone? Click jailbreak button? Click the Jailbreak icon on your phone when it tells you to?

Really, I don't think it's possible for it to be any simpler.

So - do we need to back up and restore and then update to 6.1.

And THEN run the jailbreak? I know it's simple but posts like these don't do anything to clarify.

Perhaps the OP has been updated.............

edit: This is relevant to my interests:

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-ios-6.1-on-iphone-5-and-other-devices-untethered-using-evasi0n-how-to-tutorial/

quote:

a. It is highly recommended to make a complete backup of your device using either iTunes or iCloud before proceeding with the steps below.

b. If you happen to have followed our guide for older A4 based devices for tethered jailbreak iOS 6.1, the good news is that you can easily convert your tethered jailbreak into untethered by installing “evasi0n 6.x Untether” from Cydia.

Step 1: Download Evasi0n jailbreak tool tailored for your OS (Windows / Mac / Linux).

Step 2: Download iOS 6.1, and update your device to it using iTunes. Make sure you restore your device to 6.1 using iTunes, and not OTA, to avoid issues with jailbreak. Even though Evasi0n supports all versions of iOS 6, it is recommended to update to the latest 6.1 version before jailbreak so that you can get all the new features of iOS 6.1, with the added bonus of jailbreak.

Step 3: Make sure you don’t have any passcode set on your device. You can disable Passcode lock from: Settings –> General –> Passcode Lock –> Off

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 4, 2013

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Feenix posted:

Anyone?

I always championed Sansation.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Wait, nevermind, i've been stuck at "finding offsets" for about 5-10 mins now

Nevermind it finally went

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Feenix posted:

No I don't believe so.

I highly preferred Sansation to HH. Is it that one?

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

I'm getting this message every time I try to download any package: "I wasn't able to locate file for the com.saurik.substrate.safemode package. This might mean you need to manually fix this package." Does this just mean it's too busy right now?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Feenix posted:

Anyone?

These are ones I have written down:

Ubuntu
Lato
Delius

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

So - do we need to back up and restore and then update to 6.1.

And THEN run the jailbreak?

Yes. Also to be safe update to 6.1 through iTunes, not OTA.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Well, so much for being productive at work today!

Will report back when I'm done how the whole thing went on my 4S.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006
Jailbreak itself was a piece of cake.

However, tried to install SMS GV Extension (read: successfully installed and went for the respring), and my phone is now in a reboot loop.

BiteSMS, NCSettings worked fine though. As did Cydia.

I guess I should've made sure to install OpenSSH first for troubleshooting purposes. Might not have helped though.

Ezrem fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 4, 2013

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
So this looks way easier than before. I just have to upgrade to iOS 6.1 on my unjailbroken phone, then backup, and run evasi0n it seems.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
I'm up and running, I panicked a little when it got stuck at ~80% and then noticed it asking me to tap the icon on my phone to continue. I'm also getting stuck at the logo during a power up but did get back in on the second go, not much of a problem since I might restart my phone once every two months.

Thus we begin the process of re-downloading everything on my AppInfo list!

Jailbreak download links again for anybody that's getting slow speeds on the hosted/mirror sites:
Windows
Mac
Linux

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Anybody doing this to their mini?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Hmmm.. NoSpot and Icon Renamer worked on iOS 6.0.1 for me, but not 6.1.

Also, none of the tweaks are listed in Settings for me. I have no idea if 6.1 broke a lot of stuff, or if some bad-download caused multiple things to not work right... :/

Edit: another reboot got things working. Maybe Mobile Substrate wasn't running.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 4, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Klowns posted:

I'm also getting stuck at the logo during a power up but did get back in on the second go, not much of a problem since I might restart my phone once every two months.

Yeah I was stuck for a while but started up fine on the 2nd go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Captain Apollo posted:

Anybody doing this to their mini?

I'll be jb'ing my mini when I get home tonight.

• Locked thread