Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

an ode to the artisans of
luxury, a willed madness,
a fabulous dinosaur...

Old Janx Spirit posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't like the music interviews?

Well, looks like I'm going to have to disagree with myself. The Dave Grohl interview is one of the best in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Old Janx Spirit posted:

Well, looks like I'm going to have to disagree with myself. The Dave Grohl interview is one of the best in a while.

What do they talk about? Is there anything about Nirvana or does it mostly focus on his post-Nirvana career?

My problem with the music interviews is that Marc usually turns into a fanboy and steers the conversation towards what guitarists his guest likes to use.

The Elizabeth Banks episode was great, but there was a hilarious moment that stands out. After Marc asks why Elizabeth "chose" to conceive via a surrogate, she corrects him and a minute later mentions the idiots who ask her that question. I thought Marc would try to make a joke about it but he's so intimidated by her that he lets it fly.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm so glad that dave is loving awesome. He is one of the few childhood heroes I have. I've never really heard an interview with him though. Top lad.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I really liked the Seth Green interview, he's a lot smarter than I assumed he would be, particularly on journalism issues post 9/11.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

What do they talk about? Is there anything about Nirvana or does it mostly focus on his post-Nirvana career?

My problem with the music interviews is that Marc usually turns into a fanboy and steers the conversation towards what guitarists his guest likes to use.

The Elizabeth Banks episode was great, but there was a hilarious moment that stands out. After Marc asks why Elizabeth "chose" to conceive via a surrogate, she corrects him and a minute later mentions the idiots who ask her that question. I thought Marc would try to make a joke about it but he's so intimidated by her that he lets it fly.

They go on for a while about Sound City it's magic soundboard or whatever since Dave's made a movie about it recently. It's all pretty interesting though, I think. Then they mostly just talk about Dave's musical influences I guess.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

They go on for a while about Sound City it's magic soundboard or whatever since Dave's made a movie about it recently. It's all pretty interesting though, I think. Then they mostly just talk about Dave's musical influences I guess.

And he brings up his mystical Kay (K?) guitar in the intro this time.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

They really don't mention Nirvana. At one point he asks Dave if he misses Kurt, and Dave says yes, and basically implies he doesn't want to talk about it.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

That is exactly what I don't like about them.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

The Elizabeth Banks episode was great

Agreed, and so far I like the Hodgman show a lot as well.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Anyone listened to the one with that snakeoil salesman?

Prfbrain
Jul 24, 2007

jyrka posted:

Yep, and it's as boring and bullshitty as you might imagine.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

jyrka posted:

I read the description and immediately knew I should skip it. Seriously, what the gently caress?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Binowru posted:

I read the description and immediately knew I should skip it. Seriously, what the gently caress?

He's been on a lot of podcasts hasn't he?. I think he was on the Nerdist multiple times where Chris Hardwick et al gushed about his book

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 28, 2013

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
It sort of makes sense, given how many podcasters are on a self-help sort of tip, that they'd be into this guy's self-help thing, even if it's bro-ey self help.

Ferriss was a great fit for Joe Rogan for that reason.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
It seems that he got Mel Brooks on for today's show. I haven't listened yet but Brooks can give a good interview when he wants to. I feel like he and Maron should be able to riff off of each other pretty easily.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Carl Reiner later in the week too. I think he missed the opportunity to have them both on at the same time. That episode of Comedians in Cars etc. was great.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Cloks posted:

It seems that he got Mel Brooks on for today's show. I haven't listened yet but Brooks can give a good interview when he wants to. I feel like he and Maron should be able to riff off of each other pretty easily.

It was very good.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Drunkboxer posted:

Carl Reiner later in the week too. I think he missed the opportunity to have them both on at the same time. That episode of Comedians in Cars etc. was great.

Carl Reiner, even at 80%, is worth a interview all to himself. He and Brooks are great together but it quickly becomes to Mel Brooks show. I'm looking forward to a solo Carl.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Bunk Rogers posted:

Carl Reiner, even at 80%, is worth a interview all to himself. He and Brooks are great together but it quickly becomes to Mel Brooks show. I'm looking forward to a solo Carl.

Yeah you're right. And I don't think that the Brooks interview could have gone any better anyway.

"Yeah... he's about 80 percent."

edit: that Sid Caesar stuff was kinda sad/sweet to hear.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 4, 2013

Dick Holden
Jul 18, 2003

Purple!

Drunkboxer posted:

"Yeah... he's about 80 percent."

This and the description of how he used to call in artillery strikes made me bust a gut.

"Delta, Tango, Foxtrot... ah forget it, you see that church?"

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Aside from all the phone calls Carl was great. I can't imagine anything cooler than sitting with Mel and Carl, eating ice cream and watching Justified.

Most exciting part of the interview was Maron announcing that he will be interviewing Dick Van Dyke.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Bunk Rogers posted:

Aside from all the phone calls Carl was great. I can't imagine anything cooler than sitting with Mel and Carl, eating ice cream and watching Justified.

Most exciting part of the interview was Maron announcing that he will be interviewing Dick Van Dyke.

I kinda liked the phonecalls. At one point I thought it was part of an elaborate bit.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm lagging behind but mel brooks was fantastic.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...

Drunkboxer posted:

I kinda liked the phonecalls. At one point I thought it was part of an elaborate bit.

I agree, the phone calls were part of the atmosphere in an interesting way. I think that's what Marc was trying to get at when he kept going on about feeling at home with old Jews.

The Brooks and Reiner interviews were fantastic. This is what I listen to him for, the shows that are part of a larger effort to document the history of comedy.

Definitely looking forward to Dick Van Dyke and Tom Green.

"What did I say? 80%, right?"

That was beautiful.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Dear Marc,

More old Jews, less singer/guitarists

Sincerely,

Fans of your comedy podcast

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
"MAYBE 85."

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Dear Marc,

More old Jews, less singer/guitarists

Sincerely,

Fans of your comedy podcast

Couldn't agree more.

Also, more non-stand up comedy figures, like writers, directors, etc.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Just caught up on Carl and oh man, it was great. "Maybe 85" is the greatest punchline to a non-joke, I love it.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

The Berzerker posted:

Just caught up on Carl and oh man, it was great. "Maybe 85" is the greatest punchline to a non-joke, I love it.

Kinda surprised there wasn't more response to Tom Green appearing on the show. Guess there's not much overlap between RGD posters and :goon: participants.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Tom Green r00lz and so did that interview. I've seen him in pictures with another MTV star-turned-stand-up Steve-O hanging out with Laugh Factory regulars and it's nice to see they're still making a living.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I never liked Tom Green when I was younger but I thought it was a good interview. He's clearly bored of the shock stuff and is just another guy trying to get by and do his thing, it was refreshing to hear him acting like a normal human.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's weird, after really enjoying the mel brooks cast, I didn't think reiners was as good. He seemed to be a lot more on auto pilot.

Dick Holden
Jul 18, 2003

Purple!

Jippa posted:

It's weird, after really enjoying the mel brooks cast, I didn't think reiners was as good. He seemed to be a lot more on auto pilot.

Well to be fair he's only about eighty percent.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Jippa posted:

I didn't finish the Carl interview. It was a pleasant conversation, but not much more was coming out of it than that.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
But you didn't get to hear the secret of the chicken feathers.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...
I really liked this week's show with Eddie Pepitone. It was exactly the kind of show that made me love WTF when I first started listening: an in depth discussion of what it means to be a comedian. And I can't wait to hear the live show he mentioned, where Margaret Cho talks about sleeping with Marc.

Anyone here listen to Girl on Guy, Aisha Tyler's podcast? Very similar to WTF in content, if not totally in style. The shows I've listened to so far (Jay Mohr, W. Kamau Bell and Dave Attell) have been good. It made me wonder, however, how many comedians are doing interview podcasts, and if one day they will all have interviewed each other.

Old Janx Spirit fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 19, 2013

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Old Janx Spirit posted:

I really liked this week's show with Eddie Pepitone. It was exactly the kind of show that made me love WTF when I first started listening: an in depth discussion of what it means to be a comedian. And I can't wait to hear the live show he mentioned, where Margaret Cho talks about sleeping with Marc.

Anyone here listen to Girl on Guy, Aisha Tyler's podcast? Very similar to WTF in content, if not totally in style. The shows I've listened to so far (Jay Mohr, W. Kamau Bell and Dave Attell) have been good. It made wonder, however, how many comedians are doing interview podcasts, and if one day they will all have interviewed each other.

I like Girl on Guy, but I've only listened to Mohr and Attell. Kinda in line with what your are saying, I just didn't want to pick up another comedy podcast. I feel like I know too much about these weirdos already.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Old Janx Spirit posted:

Anyone here listen to Girl on Guy, Aisha Tyler's podcast? Very similar to WTF in content, if not totally in style. The shows I've listened to so far (Jay Mohr, W. Kamau Bell and Dave Attell) have been good. It made me wonder, however, how many comedians are doing interview podcasts, and if one day they will all have interviewed each other.

Her first show with Jon Benjamin was fantastic. I'll usually give her a listen if I recognize the guest. So far I haven't turned one off, and I've listened to probably over half of them.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

AFewBricksShy posted:

Her first show with Jon Benjamin was fantastic. I'll usually give her a listen if I recognize the guest. So far I haven't turned one off, and I've listened to probably over half of them.

If you're into fecal humor, Jon Benjamin has a fantastic story for you. I would listen to him reading holocaust stories though so take that as you will. I would like to listen to Maron interview him. They were both in the same areas doing standup and he's more relevant than Tom Green (i was psyched for that interview but did not enjoy it at all).

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Is there a place where I can hear Marc's whole Sam Kinison saga from beginning to end? There's a couple clips of him on Youtube of him on Bill Burr's podcast telling the story, and he indicated that he was rushing through it a bit.

Homeless Wonder
Sep 26, 2005
Not a stupid newbie
Check out the WTF with Carl La Bove (ep #151). You'd have to get the app or online sub to listen to it tho, only a buck or two for a month's sub tho so totally worth it to catch up on back episodes.

You could also listen to the public radio version of that same episode for free, although I think the public radio episodes are censored & edited for time: http://www.prx.org/pieces/77529-wtf-episode-205-with-carl-labove

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Old Janx Spirit posted:

I really liked this week's show with Eddie Pepitone. It was exactly the kind of show that made me love WTF when I first started listening: an in depth discussion of what it means to be a comedian.

Yeah that was great. I like the interviews where there is a back and forward. I think he said he is trying to move away from that and more concentrating on the other person.

I think people open up a lot more when marc talks about himself as well.

• Locked thread