Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

WHOIS John Galt posted:

i want retina avatars

for a new era of posting

Meiwaku
Jan 10, 2011

Fun for the whole family!

my stepdads beer posted:

my uni waited until 4th semester for our weed out class so you've already paid for at least a year and a half of classes. i think they deliberately under taught the prerequisites as part of their cunning plan. only around 10-15% of students passed lol.

I know a number of Uni's shoot for ~50% attrition in the first three classes. Makes the third class interesting because you still have all the people who barely passed the second freaking out.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Meiwaku posted:

I know a number of Uni's shoot for ~50% attrition in the first three classes. Makes the third class interesting because you still have all the people who barely passed the second freaking out.

the third class in my cs program was architecture/assembly/organization which i would estimate 30-40% of the students had to retake for a passing grade if they didn't just drop the major

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
im dumbfounded i graduated

Null Pointer
May 20, 2004

Oh no!

i barely GNU her! posted:

the third class in my cs program was architecture/assembly/organization which i would estimate 30-40% of the students had to retake for a passing grade if they didn't just drop the major

the third class in mine was baby's first proof course, intro to symbolic logic, discrete math, formal verification. it was supposed to be a weed-out course, but the professor put a minimum passing grade in the syllabus and accidentally made the final too easy so everybody passed.

think the third weed-out course is fun? imagine the weed-outs in second and third-year theory courses. the next term there were actual nervous breakdowns in the labs. people literally crying while publicly begging grad students for extensions. two years into a program with absolutely no hope of passing any of their courses, too stubborn or stupid to switch to something else unless the program chair forces them to.

that's why CS has weed-out courses.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

WHOIS John Galt posted:

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Null Pointer posted:

that's why CS has weed-out courses.

because people are too stupid to realize their c- in a first year course probably means they wont be able to make it through the rest of the major?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
i mean im all for people proving that poo poo wrong and working their asses off by realistically youre gonna get high get drunk live lyfe and be a comm major if your go to a school for the poors (state school)

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

if you worked hard in college youre missing the point entirely

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
tef, thanks for writing what I'm thinking (mostly) since I never got around to it.

Our weedout course was 2nd year and taught in SML. Functional scared off a lot of people. Though I guess the first year course where day 1 was "this course will be using java but we wont be teaching it to you because this is CS not Programming" probably scared some people off, too.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

WHOIS John Galt posted:

same

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

man i wanted to write a video game with the old sierra agi interpreter from king's quest 3 but the language doesn't even support functions

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Given the price of higher education in the US you'd guess they weed people out before the second year or something, as a service.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

MononcQc posted:

Given the price of higher education in the US you'd guess they weed people out before the second year or something, as a service.

public universities do this to the extent they are legally allowed.

which is why i'm always baffled that people think private schools are somehow superior.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

Ericadia posted:

Reading one of this guys books for a class right now. So much for ever being able to concentrate on it again. That fuckin hair

The hair is the source of his power.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

rotor posted:

public universities do this to the extent they are legally allowed.

which is why i'm always baffled that people think private schools are somehow superior.

actually learned that in middle school, my parents took me out of the public school system for 7th and 8th grade. the people at those schools were a hundred thousand times worse than any of the bullying in public school because they were the brats who had been kicked out of all the other schools in the region and whose parents could afford the tuition

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011

havelock posted:

tef, thanks for writing what I'm thinking (mostly) since I never got around to it.

Our weedout course was 2nd year and taught in SML. Functional scared off a lot of people. Though I guess the first year course where day 1 was "this course will be using java but we wont be teaching it to you because this is CS not Programming" probably scared some people off, too.

In ours we did hoare logic and finite automata, taught by a prof with a thick finnish accent and a stutter who posted absolutely nothing online.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

WHOIS John Galt posted:

actually learned that in middle school, my parents took me out of the public school system for 7th and 8th grade. the people at those schools were a hundred thousand times worse than any of the bullying in public school because they were the brats who had been kicked out of all the other schools in the region and whose parents could afford the tuition

this is why you have to go to schools with admissions requirements, not just monetary

Jerry SanDisky posted:

The hair is the source of his power.

you should see him when he goes super saiyan

EDIT: This has me more excited than the set list for coachella http://scottmeyers.blogspot.com/2013/01/effective-c11-content-and-status.html

FamDav fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 4, 2013

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

adding to the tef circle jerk

your talk was excellent and it reminded me of something I should never forget but constantly do. Thanks!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

polpotpi posted:

if you worked hard in college youre missing the point entirely
yeah well my freshman year suitemates partied it up, tried every drug, hosed whores and they finished their first term with 0.0 averages and were expelled, at least i'm not them

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!
you have to balance the party and school

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

thats why you go to public school you can coast through cause 6 months in your first job you'll learn more than 4 years of college

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

graduating with lots of sex and drugs under your belt and 0 debt before a lifetime of work, or sure, i'll actually work hard when im 18, right before i start the rest of my life doing soulcrushing poo poo for other people

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it was a state university

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

well then dont be a total idiot

look, i can't do everything for you

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

polpotpi posted:

graduating with lots of sex and drugs under your belt and 0 debt before a lifetime of work, or sure, i'll actually work hard when im 18, right before i start the rest of my life doing soulcrushing poo poo for other people

haha what the gently caress are you doing that it is literally soul crushing, like irl crushing your spirit day in and day out.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

FamDav posted:

haha what the gently caress are you doing that it is literally soul crushing, like irl crushing your spirit day in and day out.

prob help desk

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

lol im talking about other people, all i do is dick around irc and travel around the country

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

polpotpi posted:

thats why you go to public school you can coast through cause 6 months in your first job you'll learn more than 4 years of college

i cant even begin to describe my university connections

like the easiest example is "i've never gone into an interview without first having a personal phone call with a VP"

how's public schoolin on that front

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

JawnV6 posted:

like the easiest example is "i've never gone into an interview without first having a personal phone call with a VP"

yeah i took the easy way out and chose to be born to well connected parents so grades and school didnt matter

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

ok, if you dont go to a top tier school for your field private school is a waste of time

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
cw"d"s: I don't get to do a lot of css so right now im abusing :before to add labels to stuff

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

got all my networkin' goin' from IRC and mailing lists

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
/mode #yospos +ntm "yOSPOS bITCH!"

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

irc is getting kinda weird and apparently is up to version 3 http://ircv3.atheme.org

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

still no standard text encoding though. who needs it?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

JawnV6 posted:

Never? For real? drat.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
that was a white lie, there was some good ol fashioned nepotism instead of uni for a couple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm not sure i would call that linkbait, since your article is directly relevant to the headline and supports the same thesis.

I mean 'a title like this will draw more clicks than a less flaming one'

let's see what that did to the graph

first two peaks: mentioned 'dijkstra' in the title (hn, then reddit a few days later)

second peak: making fun of my old company with title 'framework first, product last'

third peak: saying well known adage is wrong.

moral: if I want attention I should write character assassinations

edit: I don't have any data from when I got on hn with my first blog entry