Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
What on earth is the reason players shouldn't be allowed to wear tracksuit bottoms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

oliwan posted:

What on earth is the reason players shouldn't be allowed to wear tracksuit bottoms?

It probably just adds more chances for something stupid to happen, like someone getting stud caught in the pants somehow and getting yanked around, causing an injury. Is it likely to happen? No, but it probably has somewhere (like that guy who lost part of his finger when he was playing with a ring on, went to celebrate by the fence with supporters, and it got caught when he jumped off)

USSF has decided it's okay stateside, with the idea (I'm guessing) that "we don't want a lawsuit if someone gets really sick from having to play in super cold weather in shorts", because we love suing people in the USA.

Even in something as codified worldwide as the Laws of the Game, we find a way to be different :patriot:

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA
Players just wear long johns (if they wear anything at all to cover their legs entirely) here in Norway. Is that not a thing in the States?

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
Long johns are just fine here (Just bought a pair for myself actually). The league I officiate for doesn't allow track pants except for keepers (and girls. But that part doesn't make a ton of sense to me).

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If you can wear long sleeves I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to wear tracksuit bottoms. They're worn for essentially the same reason. Maybe FIFA just like seeing boys in shorts as part of a historical thing, I don't know.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
FIFA doesn't believe in summer (Qatar World Cup), so it's natural that it doesn't recognize winter, either. Thank goodness the USSF has the right priorities.

And if it's within 10 degrees of freezing I could care less if the ARs wear long pants as well.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I think it's because tracksuit bottoms would 1) cover up the socks, which are part of the uniform 2) cover up the shinguards, removing the referee's ability to see at glance whether a player still has his required safety kit on his legs.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It's Friday

A case of all roads leading to a lot of quality time with the computer writing reports, methinks.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Trin Tragula posted:

It's Friday

A case of all roads leading to a lot of quality time with the computer writing reports, methinks.

1 - Send them all off.

2 - Take the towel off him and arrange for it to be tested and ensure the keeper is tested after the game. Of course, that's assuming the game is at a high enough level where that's possible.

3 - Drop ball where the ballboy touched it, I'd guess?

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Trin Tragula posted:

It's Friday

1) Wonder what happened to old-fashioned cartoon strip curses and ignore their awful attempt at emulating it.
2) Get a sniff of your own, can't waste that high and it might improve your own refereeing. Write a trip report down in your journal.
3) Slide tackle the ballboy.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Trin Tragula posted:

It's Friday

1) Tell the manager to control the bench otherwise the match will be abandoned. Then tell them to go FOXXFO themselves.
2) Take a sniff for yourself then referee the best drat game of your life
3) Get Eden Hazard to sort him out

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

The obvious answer to 1) would be to send the subs off and the coaching staff to the stands, but I guess there's a requirement for some element of coaching on the sidelines so the match might have to be abandoned?

2) Request the keeper change towels and make a note in the report?

3) Drop ball

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

1. Award the goal, sob quietly.

2. Award 3 goals.

3. Pelanty.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

1. Award the goal, red card the lot of them, write a long report where you call them all cunts.

2. Replace towel for the second half, write lengthy match report, request drugs test for the keeper after the game.

3. Uppercut the ball boy, drop ball from where the ball went out of play.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
1. All off. I remember something about a physio getting sent off but I don't remember what the outcome was. I have a feeling the match could go on without him.

2. Ask him about it maybe, but nothing you can do there and then. Match report. A few players are selected after each game for a drugs test right? Could "suggest" the keeper should be the one to do it.

3. Think it has to be a dropball from where the ballboy kicked it. I wouldn't replace him, but stern warnings, etc.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
1. Tell them if they don't XOFOXXFOing stop it, they can all XOO off to the stands.

2. Ask the goalie what's up with that towel, see if you can get him a new towel to shut the other manager, put it in your report.

3. Dropball from where the ballboy interfered. Tell him to XOO off too.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Keith Hackett posted:

1) This sort of situation does untold damage to football's image, and you need to deal with it firmly. Identify, if possible, the main offenders and then deal with them as follows. First, show a red card to any guilty substitute or substituted player. Second, if the manager or his coaches are guilty, dismiss them from the technical area to the stands. Third, if the physio was involved, make a note: he or she needs to remain available, but you would include them on the list of dismissals in your post-match report. Restart with the penalty. Jerry Richards wins the shirt.
2) You cannot possibly intervene at this stage – the keeper may have a perfectly good explanation, and you're hardly equipped to work out exactly what it is that he is sniffing. After the game, though, make sure the towel is bagged and handed over to doping officials for inspection, and include the incident in your report. Thanks to Peter Hawton.
3) Stop the game and award a dropped ball from where the boy touched it. You don't need to stop play if a ballboy (or any other outside agent) enters the field of play, but you do if he, she or it has a direct impact on play, as in this case. You should have a word with the boy, and include what happened in your report. Thanks to Eoin Shaughnessy.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

New one is up. Saw it on BS (complete with someone posting a screenshot of the OP from this thread!), came here and no one has posted it yet (probably too busy with Valentine's day. One good thing about being sick, I guess :argh:), so here it is.

1) Ask your AR. Don't have an AR? Keeper was an idiot for straddling the line like that. Your initial thought was it hit him before it went over, and so you stick with that. You are uncertain so probably no goal then.

2) Keith probably wants this to be red, but I find it too funny to actually send someone off for. Caution the substitute, and after the game give him high five instead of the traditional punch.

3) Well, if I didn't see it, I didn't see it. Goal. Get ready to explain it to your assessor, though.

chaoslord fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 15, 2013

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
1. If you didn't see it and neither did your assistant, goal kick.

2. Yellow to the sub. Indirect free kick of sub's balls. (Another player must touch the player's balls before the kicker can kick them again.)

3. See #1, except remove "kick" from the end.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
1. AFAYK it was scored directly from an indirect free kick, goal kick.

2. Give the sub a yellow for unsporting behaviour and laugh like gently caress at the striker. Put it in your report.

3. AFAYK he's a mutant, goal.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

1) Goal kick
2) lol. Slap on the wrist for sub, point and laugh at striker.
3) Didn't see poo poo, goal. Write it in match report though.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
1. Ask your AR, if he didn't see then goal
2. Red for the sub
3. Use your judgement, yellow card for the scorer then free kick the other way

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.
1. Goal. You didn't see the ball go out of play until after it had hit the goalkeeper. There is no "not sure".
2. Take a photo and put it up at goatsec.ks after the game.
3. Stop listening to the players and your job becomes a lot easier (see q1). You didn't see it, so it's a goal.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
1. Yeah I'm not convinced "not sure" means no goal in this circumstance. The key difference from the usual "did it cross the line?" situations is that in this case, you are sure the ball went in the net. I think you have to make a best guess and go with it.

2. Yellow and point and laugh. Probably make a report so the FA can give a small ban for unsporting behaviour (there's predecent for that now!)

3. Sort of as in 1, you saw the ball go in the net and if you didn't see an offense before then, goal.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
1. Check if the assistants have any idea when the ball hit the keeper. If not, be decisive and say it's a goal as that's most likely.

2. Berate the crowd for not being hard enough. "Recoil in horror"? Seriously, I'd say a yellow to the sub for unsportsmanlike conduct.

3. Play on, goal stands. If you don't really have any evidence beyond the other players, stick with what you've done.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
1.) Ask your AR. If the keeper was straddling the line when it hit him, you can pretty much determine that the whole of the ball didn't cross the whole of the plane before doing so. I'd award the goal and save it for the highlight reel.

edit: well, poop!

2.) I don't know if you could give a yellow for "entering the field without permission" in this circumstance, but I don't think I'd reach for a red. Yellow for unsporting? And save it for the highlight reel.

3.) Check the boots for Flubber, award the goal.

Bio-Hazard fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Feb 22, 2013

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

quote:

1) Making a precise call here is all but impossible: given the speed of the incident you cannot hope to know for certain when exactly the ball clipped the goalkeeper – and you should not try to guess. Discuss it with your assistant, but unless you are both certain about what happened, you cannot award a goal. So make a positive decision to restart with a goalkick, explaining your ruling clearly.

2) This is clearly unacceptable. In the laws of the game a player "using an offensive, insulting or abusive gesture" should be sent off – but that does not apply here. Clearly the unfortunate striker did not mean to offend anyone, and the substitute created an offensive gesture, rather than used one. So in the circumstances I would show the sub a yellow card for unsporting behaviour : he has shown a lack of respect for the game, as well as for his opponent.

3) Award the goal. Again, you can only act on what you see and not what you think may have happened, even if you have a nagging feeling that TV replays will prove you wrong. All you can do is learn from the experience: think about your future positioning, and why both you and your assistant did not see the offence.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
1. Goal. Bonus points for creativity.
2. What an idiot. A red for DOGSO and a PK sounds pretty advantageous, so do that.
3. Tell him to wear the name on the roster, wear no name, or get out.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

1. Goal.
2. Red, penalty kick.
3. It's not unusual for players to have their nickname written above their numbers.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
1) It seems extremely unlikely that anyone could kick enough snow to do this. I think it's pretty unsporting to deliberately kick snow towards the goalkeeper so I'm going to say no goal, indirect free kick.

2) Hand ball, red for that defender. Possible yellow for the challenge (normal rules apply). Penalty kick.

3) Possibly depends on the competition rules but in general there is no requirement to wear your name on the back. As long as he has a unique number that's all that matters.

Edit: Also punch Rambo in the face and yell "who's Rambo now?" until he cries.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 22, 2013

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hernandez plays with his nickname on his shirt, while Kazuyoshi Miura has done the same for pretty much his entire 30+-year career. And then we have the Brazilian players, most of whom go by their nicknames (yes, I know they have super long names, but still).

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

In the Premier League, I think it's down to what name you register when you first join the division, I think. So assuming no 3 is at a level where players are registered, it would have to be the name he gave the league.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
#3 seems similar to one of the variations of "this player's cup-tied/suspended/whatever" where the answer has been that it's outside your purview, and that the competition authorities will take action as they see fit. Unless there's something very specific in the competition rules, I'm not going to intervene.

(I thought Rambo was a goalkeeper anyhow?)

edit: um:
1) what kind of hellscape are you playing in where the snow is dense enough to knock a ball off course? No goal, caution for USB, IDFK.
2) Punish the original offense if the advantage does not ensue. DFK where the original foul occurred. Punch the defender in the face and explain to him what playing to the whistle means.

Lamont Cranston fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 22, 2013

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

1) Goal. Do snow angels at half time and after the final whistle if there's that much snow. Also, how are your assistants judging in and out of touch with that much snow? Include in the match report that the undersoil heating wasn't working and that you should be paid extra.

2) Law 5 tells us it's the referee duty to "allow play to continue when the team against which an offence has been committed will benefit from such an advantage and penalises the original offence if the anticipated advantage does not ensue at that time". So, we're going back to the free kick just outside of the penalty area. The defender got lucky. I think you could pretty easily sell the PK + a caution and/or PK + no card, though. It's probably what most people are expecting.

For the those who said PK and red, I'm struggling to see DOGSO on the defender who handled the ball. If the forward got tripped, he's going to be on the ground (at least, that's how I'm reading that), and so there is no obvious goal scoring opportunity anymore.

3) Is there a unique number? Perfect. I'm not the name police. If I think it's strange, I'll put in the match report "Did the FA really approve 'Rambo' for [player name]? Because that's what he was wearing on his shirt." and leave it up to them after that. I've got more important things to deal with than giving the someone a phone call to check out player names. If they really want me to deal with this, they can give me a list of "Approved names" and ask me to check it, but short of that being included in my responsibilities, I'm just going to enjoy watching "Rambo" get the crap kicked out of him.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mickolution posted:

In the Premier League, I think it's down to what name you register when you first join the division, I think. So assuming no 3 is at a level where players are registered, it would have to be the name he gave the league.

True, but nothing in the question says his real name is what he's registered as. Also, does this mean Hernandez is registered as Chicharito, even though everyone refers to him as Hernandez anyway?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

1. I'm going to say no goal just because it can be kind of dangerous if people start kicking snow around, but no yellow. Free kick to the defending team.

2. Eh, go with it, blow your whistle and give the free kick. I guess technically, since you haven't blown, you should red the defender for DOGSO, but that's dumb.

3. No, it's not your job to police that, you only care about the number on the back, and that it matches the player with that number on the sheet. Write it in your report and let the league handle it. This isn't the NFL, thank God.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

chaoslord posted:

For the those who said PK and red, I'm struggling to see DOGSO on the defender who handled the ball. If the forward got tripped, he's going to be on the ground (at least, that's how I'm reading that), and so there is no obvious goal scoring opportunity anymore.

If you thought there was going to be advantage developing, then there must also have been a chance for an opportunity, otherwise, why would you have thought advantage existed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Vagabundo posted:

True, but nothing in the question says his real name is what he's registered as. Also, does this mean Hernandez is registered as Chicharito, even though everyone refers to him as Hernandez anyway?

Yeah, the question doesn't really provide enough info. I think it implies that in the info the refs were given, it was his full name, rather than his nickname and that he's new to the league.

I'd imagine Hernandez is called Chicharito on teamsheets and the like, so there's no confusion.

• Locked thread