Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Crankit posted:

I've seen american immigration portrayed on TV a couple of times and one question they asked is Are you or have you ever been a member of the communist party, if they still ask why do they still ask that and what happens if you say yes?

I doubt that it is still asked anymore, as it came from the cold war era, when Communists lead to ideas such as getting rid of god and corrupting the nation's youth. Basically communists were trouble makers for the people in power, and an easy target to discriminate against.

If you said yes back then, they could have done anything from "Not give a poo poo", to detention, to flag your file for further review, to refuse entrance to the country. Most likely, your application would be 'reviewed' and rejected. Back to Siberia you go.

If they still ask today, it's probably because the process has not been updated since the 80's and it's just on the checklist.
Name?:
Age?:
Sex?:
Communist?:

Commies are not what flags your immigration file anymore. We've evolved past judging people based on political and social leaning, and instead now judge potential immigrants based on the color of their skin or how funny their name sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I'm moving into a new apartment but the previous Indian tenant liked his curries too much and it smells like an elderly take - away.

Any suggestions on how to get it smelling fresh again? It has both carpets and laminate floors.

Alkazard.exe
Mar 25, 2008
I know it's still on visa / temp stay paperwork/e-work.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

CzarChasm posted:

I doubt that it is still asked anymore, as it came from the cold war era, when Communists lead to ideas such as getting rid of god and corrupting the nation's youth. Basically communists were trouble makers for the people in power, and an easy target to discriminate against.

If you said yes back then, they could have done anything from "Not give a poo poo", to detention, to flag your file for further review, to refuse entrance to the country. Most likely, your application would be 'reviewed' and rejected. Back to Siberia you go.

If they still ask today, it's probably because the process has not been updated since the 80's and it's just on the checklist.
Name?:
Age?:
Sex?:
Communist?:

Commies are not what flags your immigration file anymore. We've evolved past judging people based on political and social leaning, and instead now judge potential immigrants based on the color of their skin or how funny their name sounds.

U.S. Code, Chapter 8 Section 1424

quote:

(a) Notwithstanding the provisions of section 405(b) of this Act, no person shall hereafter be naturalized as a citizen of the United States—
(1) who advocates or teaches, or who is a member of or affiliated with any organization that advocates or teaches, opposition to all organized government; or
(2) who is a member of or affiliated with
(A) the Communist Party of the United States;
(B) any other totalitarian party of the United States;
(C) the Communist Political Association;
(D) the Communist or other totalitarian party of any State of the United States, of any foreign state, or of any political or geographical subdivision of any foreign state;
... It goes on for several more sections and paragraphs.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What's a good way to tell my mom we don't want our baby christened? I have not come out as an atheist to my family and wasn't ever planning to.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just have it christened anyway and save the strain on the family? I mean, if you're an atheist then it's nothing more than a silly ceremony, so I don't see the harm in having it done. You kind of have your own version of Pascal's wager there.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

greatn posted:

What's a good way to tell my mom we don't want our baby christened? I have not come out as an atheist to my family and wasn't ever planning to.

Wait until she brings it up and say, "We're not doing that." It really is that simple. It's your child. Other people's beliefs don't get to factor in unless you want them to.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Just have it christened anyway and save the strain on the family? I mean, if you're an atheist then it's nothing more than a silly ceremony, so I don't see the harm in having it done.

As a father who just went through this, it came down to two things. One, I wasn't going to stand there and promise to raise my child in the church when I have no intention of doing so. I may be an apostate, but I am not a liar. Second, knowing that both sets of grandparents are going to be annoyed that we raise our child a heathen, it was best to set the precedent right out of the gate. You have a religious ceremony and it just sets them up for disappointment later.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I just mumbled through the raising the kid in the church part.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Wyatt posted:

Wait until she brings it up and say, "We're not doing that." It really is that simple. It's your child. Other people's beliefs don't get to factor in unless you want them to.

Yeah, she did just bring it up. And that is what I want to tell her, but without having to say at some point in discussion "because I don't believe in God", which she probably knows deep down but can currently feign ignorance

Edit: saying I don't plan to bring him/her up in the church and don't want to have him/her participate in the ceremony because I don't want to promise the baby to anyone seems good though, based on your own reasons. Thanks.

Since this seems like an issue that can get a lot of opinions quickly and be a bit of a :can: and this is a small questions thread, please no more responses on this topic, thanks for the responses I already got.

greatn fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 4, 2013

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Stage a fake christening, with a fake priest and a fake font with nothing but tap-water in it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I've got a Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro, and its charger is "micro-usb," which looks like mini-USB in shape but is smaller.

I'm assuming that any "Samsung Galaxy" charger should be equivalent (or any micro-usb cable, for that matter), so I don't have to hunt for a charger that claims to be specific to my phone model. Is this true?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

greatn posted:

Yeah, she did just bring it up. And that is what I want to tell her, but without having to say at some point in discussion "because I don't believe in God", which she probably knows deep down but can currently feign ignorance

Edit: saying I don't plan to bring him/her up in the church and don't want to have him/her participate in the ceremony because I don't want to promise the baby to anyone seems good though, based on your own reasons. Thanks.

Since this seems like an issue that can get a lot of opinions quickly and be a bit of a :can: and this is a small questions thread, please no more responses on this topic, thanks for the responses I already got.

Grab "Parenting Beyond Belief: On Raising Ethical, Caring Kids Without Religion" from the library. It has been helpful for MY WIFE and I.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

alnilam posted:

I've got a Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro, and its charger is "micro-usb," which looks like mini-USB in shape but is smaller.

I'm assuming that any "Samsung Galaxy" charger should be equivalent (or any micro-usb cable, for that matter), so I don't have to hunt for a charger that claims to be specific to my phone model. Is this true?
Any micro-USB cable/charger will work. If you're getting a new charger, try to find one that can put out at least one amp. You can use one that puts out less, but the phone will charge more slowly.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

greatn posted:

I suppose it's because I've never tried to hide it, but I don't see the problem with telling your family that you don't believe in their imaginary sky wizard. You don't have to care that they think you are a godless heathen doomed to an eternity in the burning fires of hell.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

alnilam posted:

Any microUSB cable or charger should work, including generic ones. You should be able to charge it from a computer with a standard USB<->microUSB cable, too.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Man up and tell her you dont believe in her sky wizard. Unless your mom is a total psycho, she'll accept it and it will be better moving forward.

e: dont use the phrase "sky wizard" though.

Meat Recital fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 4, 2013

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

CzarChasm posted:

We still do judge people based on politics. Communists are yesterday's news. Now we worry about Islamic fundamentalism and whatnot (speaking of which, do they ask about that?).

Meat Recital posted:

Man up and tell her you dont believe in her sky wizard. Unless your mom is a total psycho, she'll accept it and it will be better moving forward.

I second this. You shouldn't feel ruled by your mother at your age, especially when it comes to your child. Man up and tell it to her face, no matter how mad she gets.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Meat Recital posted:

"Imaginary friend" goes down well.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

greatn posted:

Say nothing until she asks. When she does, say this: "Nope. No christening. Sorry, I know you really wanted that but we decided against it." She'll say something to try to convince you, that's when you say politely that you just wanted to tell her about the decision you made, not invite a discussion. Say, "We already debated it, including considering your feelings, and made the decision." If she presses further, reiterate that you aren't going to discuss it with her. If she presses even further, leave calmly. Doing anything else (engaging her, getting angry, etc) would imply that you're somewhat open to the debate and that the matter isn't actually settled.

She might get pissed, but deep down every parent is proud when their kid makes a choice and demonstrates confidence, especially parental confidence. Never be afraid to state what decisions you've made to another person. Never be afraid to say that you've made a choice. Oh, you can be as private as you want with your reasons and thinking. You're a parent, so it's a terrible idea to have your wishes and choices regarding your child be vague or, worse, assumed.

This also prevents the topic from dragging on through months or years, making you feel weird, making you dread the subject and resent your mom. That's unfair to her because she might not have any idea that you resent her. Given a choice between you disagreeing with your mom overtly and then setting a firm boundary, or you distancing yourself and your kid from her out of avoidance of dealing with such problems, she'd choose the former situation if she's remotely sane. Rip off the band-aid quickly.

You're going to have a lot of similar situations in the next 10 years, wherein someone thinks they are wiser than you and tries to make decisions about your own kid. Consider this a trial case. Your attitude should be one of, "That's it. The decision is done. Let's move on to more important things." Oh you're going to be making a lot of dumb choices, but it's better to actually make a decision and tell people rather than just let things happen. It's better to have a few minutes of deep awkwardness and even anger as opposed to years of a constant wet blanket over a relationship.

In short, lovely parents and lovely leaders just go with the flow. Unless your mom is a completely wackjob, the entire hellish situation can be done and over with in the time it took for me to write this post.

(Note that I'm not advising you to come out about your atheism. In telling them about this decision, you're neither stating, nor inviting a discussion on your religious preferences.)

Just have it christened anyway and save the strain on the family? I mean, if you're an atheist then it's nothing more than a silly ceremony, so I don't see the harm in having it done. You kind of have your own version of Pascal's wager there.

I could support this advice if it wasn't regarding a parental decision. You're training your friends and relatives how you'd like for them to treat you in this new father role, and how to treat your kid in the coming years. The strain on your family now is less than what it would be in the future when similar problems arise and when your kid is old enough to actually have memories. This isn't the same as coming home from college and reluctantly going to Christmas Mass because you don't want to rock the boat.

As another example, it's understandable for some people to never come out of the closet to their parents. But it's not understandable to avoid telling your parents that their teenage grandchild is openly homosexual. That's because it's up to you to tell them or at least demonstrate how you expect them to behave. That's an awful analogy, but I'm not the first person to equate religious preference with sexual preference.

Still, all parents are different and going along with an unwanted christening might be the best decision in a slightly different situation (A dying parent, for example). Greatn is a closeted atheist with religious parents and a stated desire against the christening, so the religion-and-child battle is eventually going to happen. Notice that he didn't ask whether or not he should get the baby christened, only how to inform the grandmother.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to prevent coffee mugs from stinking up my dishwasher that doesn't involve washing them all by hand? We rinse them out, but it doesn't really seem to help.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

hooah posted:

Is there a way to prevent coffee mugs from stinking up my dishwasher that doesn't involve washing them all by hand? We rinse them out, but it doesn't really seem to help.

:confused: can you describe the problem more? I've never heard of a coffeemug stinking up a dishwasher

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

alnilam posted:

:confused: can you describe the problem more? I've never heard of a coffeemug stinking up a dishwasher

Neither had I, until my wife and I moved in together. Last week I tried washing her travel mugs in the sink that day, rather than putting them in the dishwasher to sit a couple days. The smell seemed to go down quite a bit. Now there are two mugs from the weekend that I put in the dishwasher, and it's stinky again.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

hooah posted:

Neither had I, until my wife and I moved in together. Last week I tried washing her travel mugs in the sink that day, rather than putting them in the dishwasher to sit a couple days. The smell seemed to go down quite a bit. Now there are two mugs from the weekend that I put in the dishwasher, and it's stinky again.

I would look at the mug. Most thermal travel mugs aren't going to be dishwasher safe.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Sieg posted:

I would look at the mug. Most thermal travel mugs aren't going to be dishwasher safe.

I would also check the food trap and drain line.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Any micro-USB cable/charger will work. If you're getting a new charger, try to find one that can put out at least one amp. You can use one that puts out less, but the phone will charge more slowly.

Additionally, go to Amazon and type in "Samsung Galaxy Pro charger". They'll probably have knockoff ones for cheap. Check the reviews and make sure people are actually using that charger with your specific phone. I lost my phone charger last summer and Verizon wanted like $30 for a replacement. Amazon had knockoff ones for ONE DOLLAR EACH so I bought three, and they all work fine.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Crankit posted:

I've seen american immigration portrayed on TV a couple of times and one question they asked is Are you or have you ever been a member of the communist party, if they still ask why do they still ask that and what happens if you say yes?

They do ask you this, though:

Do you seek to enter the United States to engage in export control violations, subversive or terrorist activities, or any other unlawful purpose? Are you a member or representative of a terrorist organization as currently designated by the U.S. Secretary of State? Have you ever participated in persecutions directed by the Nazi government of Germany; or have you ever participated in genocide? Have you ever participated in, ordered, or engaged in genocide, torture, or extrajudicial killings?

See, then if it turns out you are a genocidal Nazi terrorist, you get in trouble for lying on the form.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
Is there any significant flavor difference between foods cooked with canola, vegetable, or peanut oil?

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009

Raimundus posted:

Is there any significant flavor difference between foods cooked with canola, vegetable, or peanut oil?

No, because the fatty acid composition of the triglycerides that make up these oils are similar. Most of them will be C16 and up in length, with the majority being C18. Long chain fatty acids such as C18 does not contribute significantly to flavour or odour. Only short chain fatty acids, such as C4-C8 have distinctive smells and tastes, which contribute to unique flavour profile of cheeses.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

Then on that note, what cooking oils do add flavor?

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

spog posted:

I'm moving into a new apartment but the previous Indian tenant liked his curries too much and it smells like an elderly take - away.

Any suggestions on how to get it smelling fresh again? It has both carpets and laminate floors.

Ideally your land lord will be painting and having the carpets professionally cleaned before you move in which should take care of most of the smell. You can also try leaving a small dish of vinegar to sit out over night. The idea is that the vinegar somehow absorbs the smell, I have no idea how or why this works but I swear it does.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Most frying oils (the ones you listed) are actually designed to minimize flavour contribution. What are you trying to cook? Olive oil and butter are good choices for adding flavour if you are only pan-frying (and not deep frying).

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

Ideally your land lord will be painting and having the carpets professionally cleaned before you move in which should take care of most of the smell. You can also try leaving a small dish of vinegar to sit out over night. The idea is that the vinegar somehow absorbs the smell, I have no idea how or why this works but I swear it does.

Most apartment complexes will also have or be able to get an ozone generator. It is also something you could rent yourself.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Most frying oils (the ones you listed) are actually designed to minimize flavour contribution. What are you trying to cook? Olive oil and butter are good choices for adding flavour if you are only pan-frying (and not deep frying).

I'm making... popcorn. In a pot, on a stove, possibly with salt.

I'm very inexperienced with cooking in general, and those were the first three oils that came to mind. Kritzkrieg's reply made me think of the second question.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Coconut oil is what you want to use for popcorn.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Raimundus posted:

I'm making... popcorn. In a pot, on a stove, possibly with salt.

I use canola. Cover the bottom of the pot, let it heat up, toss in some kernels, turn off the heat when the popping slows, sprinkle in salt, toss, pig out.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Use a neutral oil (one of the three you first mentioned) for popcorn.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

No, because the fatty acid composition of the triglycerides that make up these oils are similar. Most of them will be C16 and up in length, with the majority being C18. Long chain fatty acids such as C18 does not contribute significantly to flavour or odour. Only short chain fatty acids, such as C4-C8 have distinctive smells and tastes, which contribute to unique flavour profile of cheeses.

I truly love a concise answer.

Raimundus posted:

Then on that note, what cooking oils do add flavor?

Since it turns out you're talking about popcorn, I doubt this is what you're looking for, but since you asked in general I'd volunteer that sesame oil makes things taste very much like sesame oil. And maybe I'm buying the wrong olive oils, or misusing them since I'm a bit of a cooking dunce, but they tend to lend a floral taste that I can't stand anymore.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Is there a thread about health insurance/medical expenses somewhere? Not for discussing the politics of it or whatever, but like "What is a deductible? What is a copay? My insurance won't cover (something) and I can't afford it--what can I do?" I work in medical billing and a lot of people are shockingly ignorant about this sort of stuff. I'd like to help people with this but I don't really want to start a thread.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Liebfraumilch posted:

Since it turns out you're talking about popcorn, I doubt this is what you're looking for, but since you asked in general I'd volunteer that sesame oil makes things taste very much like sesame oil. And maybe I'm buying the wrong olive oils, or misusing them since I'm a bit of a cooking dunce, but they tend to lend a floral taste that I can't stand anymore.

I'm no rachael ray or anything but I didn't think you're supposed to cook with sesame oil, just use it for adding flavor to things. Good in noodles.

edit: Never mind I'm wrong. Maybe. Googling looks like a lot of people have that opinion I do but it may not be true.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Coconut oil is what you want to use for popcorn.

I agree with this. It can stand a lot higher temperatures (as opposed to say, olive oil).