Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

GD_American posted:

If anything can be learned from this thread, it's that the military doesn't properly punish stupidity.

An MSM will be properly awarded within 6 months for his ACTIONS KEEPING WITH THE FINEST TRADITIONS OF MILITARY SERVICE AND REFLECT DISTINCT CREDIT UPON HIMSELF, GO gently caress YOURSELF BATTALION, AND THE UNITED STATES ARMY.

The MSM will finally give him the final push needed to get the coveted E-7. He will then finally be able to take a fresh butter bar under his wing and teach them the ways of the Army.

This is how Generals are born. Godspeed, pissranger, godspeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

ZappDash posted:

An MSM will be properly awarded within 6 months for his ACTIONS KEEPING WITH THE FINEST TRADITIONS OF MILITARY SERVICE AND REFLECT DISTINCT CREDIT UPON HIMSELF, GO gently caress YOURSELF BATTALION, AND THE UNITED STATES ARMY.

The MSM will finally give him the final push needed to get the coveted E-7. He will then finally be able to take a fresh butter bar under his wing and teach them the ways of the Army.

You're probably right.
:shepicide:

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

holocaust bloopers posted:

About 6 years ago, I worked at the Ramstein Contingency Aeromedical Staging Facility, or CASF there's a few of them scattered world-wide mostly staffed by deployers with the backing of a skeleton group of permanent party members.I was one of those at Ramstein. One deployer to us what the dumbest loving human being I've ever encountered. I am legitimately serious in this statement -- her parents were better off taking her out back and making due haste in beating whatever tawdry amount of brain cells that were not firing in her skull back into some degree of normal operation. She was, in a sense, dumber than the cum shot her father blasted inside his loving wife's pussy. In reality, that ounce or so of jizz was far more valuable than anything the resulting spawn of it has ever done.

Her name, for this story, is SSgt Black.

SSgt Black came to the Ramstein CASF in 2007 for the summer rotation. She was an active duty medical admin airman from a base in Florida. I, at the time, was a newly sewn on E-4. The job was easy as long as the human tasked with doing the various admin functions was capable of adding up numbers, transferring said numbers into several Excel products, and then categorizing the numbers into other smaller, more specific kinds of numbers related to the patients we've received in the past 12 hours. As it were, I was the permanent party go-to admin guy for the day shift.

SSgt Black was told that she was just to be trained by me then run the shift while I just hung out working the flight line aspect while also keeping an eye on the reports for accuracy. This situation quickly spiraled out of control as she bumbled a few of the reports. Some so bad that she hosed the spreadsheets up in such a manner that we had to revert to old copies that were severely out of date which probably led to a serious inaccuracy of patients moved because some old mission sheets were just gone. This wasn't just a new thing, this kept up for the whole deployment. The importance of these reports wasn't just a clinic-wide thing either. No, these numbers were the official count of the wounded, sick, and injured of US personnel and civilians leaving both wars at the time. They went to some far-reaching places. Never did she get the importance of it and on most occasions was somehow under the belief that they were just all in-house use.

At this point with her inability to math simple numbers and transpose the results onto other reports, I threw the continuity book her way. I wrote this thing months ago under the guise of, "Could I follow this if it was 2 am and I was hammered drunk? Like almost comatose blasted?" Did she get it then? Nope. In fact, SSgt Black got the pages out of order which is hilarious because A. the book was in a 3-ring binder and B. tabbed with page numbers. At this point, I just made it be clear to her that if I needed her to work on anything that she needs to explicitly ask me or someone else. This is when the cat noises became a reality for me.

I'm not talking YOSPOS levels. No. Well maybe. SSgt Black would call home to speak with her husband and kids while on shift. OK no big. She would do this from her desk while the perfectly equipped and comfy USO lounge in the building with multiple phones and free calling cards sat unused a mere jaunt down the main hallway. Whatever.

It got weird when she would ask for her husband to put the cats on the phone then speak in that high-pitched squee!!! voice everyone does to their animals at least once in their life. This devolved into her calling home just to make meow and cat-chirping noises to the answering machine. It was rare that she would actually address anyone else such as her kids or her man. I asked her once after several of these calls, "Hey so what's you constantly missing your family when calling?"

"Oh, I know that they're not home!"
:psyboom:

This was combined with her dramatic lack of output, loving up many messages, e-mails, and other secretarial poo poo that the front office people tasked her with (I warned them, believe you me) that I ended up telling her to go home mid-way through shift almost every day we worked. It was the only way that to deal with her.

To close this out, she left after her 4 month stint was done causing some serious damage to the way we did business in her first month there with the spreadsheet disaster. I am hoping someone else in the DoD kept track of patient numbers or did some sort of accountability because there's probably a few dozen dudes not on record in some manner.

Was this stellar individual out of Eglin? There was someone deployed out of the flight med clinic back then that I heard was this dumb when I was there in summer 2007.

Also, as long as she didn't screw up what was entered into TRACE2S, patient tracking should have been more or less intact at the global level.

I have tons of stories about my immediate boss from my deployment last year. A lot of them revolve around what a horrific doctor he was, but there are also plenty that don't require any medical knowledge. I've met at least 6 people in the 3 months since I got back who, upon hearing that he was in charge of anything, got all :stare: and offered their condolences.

I had a sense that I was in trouble when I learned that 1) He wasn't trained in a clinical specialty. 2) As an O-5, he reported to an O-3 at home station. 3) His flight med clinic back home informed him that they were kicking him out to a non-flight med clinic shortly after his arrival in Afghanistan. (If you know how desperate flight med is for bodies, this alone is a huge :siren:)

Unfortunately, I not only had to work with this idiot, I had to bunk with him as well. He was pretty lazy, and would often show up in our room in the middle of his shift to take a nap. I was studying on my laptop with headphones to try and drown out his snoring when I suddenly heard and felt a huge THUMP. I poked my head out of my bunk to find him face down on the floor.
:what: "Are you all right?"
:stare: ".......These...boots...."
:what: "You tripped over your boots?"
:stare: "..."
:what: "What happened?"

At this point, I'm starting to wonder if he's having a stroke. Eventually, he confesses that he just fell out of bed and was disoriented. We called him Boots behind his back for the rest of the rotation.

The same week, he darted out of bed in the middle of the night screaming :supaburn: "ROCKET ATTACK!" Now, if you've ever been to KAF, you know that unless you are in the center of the Role 3, you can hear the alarm and giant voice clearly anywhere you are. So I immediately realized something was amiss.

:supaburn: "HIT THE DECK!"
:what: "Uh...I don't hear the alarm."
:supaburn: [pauses, walks outside, smells the mixture of burn pit and poo pond for a good minute before walking back in] "I guess you're right."

He also kept telling our awesome med tech, who was half-Filipino, that he needed to learn about his "Vietnamese" heritage, no matter how many times he was corrected, and saw said tech studying his mother's native language (Tagalog) at his desk. Boots also apparently hated said awesome tech because he made the other tech, who was awful but for whom he had a poorly-concealed crush, look bad.

It didn't take long for me to end up doing both my job and his job in addition to the extra time I spent at the CASF and Role 3. At first I was a bit resentful about doing his work until I realized that at least on the clinical side, people would end up hurt or worse if left in his care. Case in point: he misdiagnosed an evolving stroke as carpal tunnel syndrome.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
She was from Eglin. A real special gal, she was.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Derek Dominoe posted:

It didn't take long for me to end up doing both my job and his job in addition to the extra time I spent at the CASF and Role 3. At first I was a bit resentful about doing his work until I realized that at least on the clinical side, people would end up hurt or worse if left in his care. Case in point: he misdiagnosed an evolving stroke as carpal tunnel syndrome.

As much as I like to give military docs poo poo I realize it's not an exact science. But is there any sort of repercussion to something as bad as that?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Derek Dominoe posted:

Was this stellar individual out of Eglin? There was someone deployed out of the flight med clinic back then that I heard was this dumb when I was there in summer 2007.

Also, as long as she didn't screw up what was entered into TRACE2S, patient tracking should have been more or less intact at the global level.

I have tons of stories about my immediate boss from my deployment last year. A lot of them revolve around what a horrific doctor he was, but there are also plenty that don't require any medical knowledge. I've met at least 6 people in the 3 months since I got back who, upon hearing that he was in charge of anything, got all :stare: and offered their condolences.

I had a sense that I was in trouble when I learned that 1) He wasn't trained in a clinical specialty. 2) As an O-5, he reported to an O-3 at home station. 3) His flight med clinic back home informed him that they were kicking him out to a non-flight med clinic shortly after his arrival in Afghanistan. (If you know how desperate flight med is for bodies, this alone is a huge :siren:)

Unfortunately, I not only had to work with this idiot, I had to bunk with him as well. He was pretty lazy, and would often show up in our room in the middle of his shift to take a nap. I was studying on my laptop with headphones to try and drown out his snoring when I suddenly heard and felt a huge THUMP. I poked my head out of my bunk to find him face down on the floor.
:what: "Are you all right?"
:stare: ".......These...boots...."
:what: "You tripped over your boots?"
:what: "What happened?"

At this point, I'm starting to wonder if he's having a stroke. Eventually, he confesses that he just fell out of bed and was disoriented. We called him Boots behind his back for the rest of the rotation.

The same week, he darted out of bed in the middle of the night screaming :supaburn: "ROCKET ATTACK!" Now, if you've ever been to KAF, you know that unless you are in the center of the Role 3, you can hear the alarm and giant voice clearly anywhere you are. So I immediately realized something was amiss.

:supaburn: "HIT THE DECK!"
:what: "Uh...I don't hear the alarm."
:supaburn: [pauses, walks outside, smells the mixture of burn pit and poo pond for a good minute before walking back in] "I guess you're right."

He also kept telling our awesome med tech, who was half-Filipino, that he needed to learn about his "Vietnamese" heritage, no matter how many times he was corrected, and saw said tech studying his mother's native language (Tagalog) at his desk. Boots also apparently hated said awesome tech because he made the other tech, who was awful but for whom he had a poorly-concealed crush, look bad.

Sounds like we were at Role 3 around the same time; I was working for them when we opened up the WRC, which lead to its own special brand of retarded-ness. Stuff along the lines of "This soldier was waiting to outprocess through the CASF, why the gently caress are you putting him on a bird back to his old FOB? Was it because he testified at the court martial that resulted from PVT Danny Chen eating a bullet from his own gun?" Yea, that one went over extremely well once I let BDE medops know what I had found. IG got involved at some point too, though I don't know when/how/if it was ever really resolved.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

ZappDash posted:

There's an E-7 in my battalion that stabbed one of his own guys in the chest as an E-6.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Icon Of Sin posted:

Sounds like we were at Role 3 around the same time; I was working for them when we opened up the WRC, which lead to its own special brand of retarded-ness. Stuff along the lines of "This soldier was waiting to outprocess through the CASF, why the gently caress are you putting him on a bird back to his old FOB? Was it because he testified at the court martial that resulted from PVT Danny Chen eating a bullet from his own gun?" Yea, that one went over extremely well once I let BDE medops know what I had found. IG got involved at some point too, though I don't know when/how/if it was ever really resolved.

as in, "there's guys on his old FOB who would love to kill him" ?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Pesticide20 posted:

There's an E-7 in my battalion that stabbed one of his own guys in the chest as an E-6.

Did the victim deserve it?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

Did the victim deserve it?

I wasn't around then, but the story goes that the victim had a knife on his plate carrier and the E-6 decided that the best way to teach a lesson was to show. He goes up, grabs the knife, says, "This is why you shouldn't put a knife on like that," then stabs the guy in the plate carrier. Victim was all Ranger and decided he didn't need his plates in that day, so the knife wasn't stopped by much and there was a good amount of force behind it. I'm pretty sure it just missed the dude's heart. Two idiots with one story.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
oh if I weren't bound by attorney client privilege the stories I could tell

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Take out the names and places, we won't tell.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Signaleer posted:

oh if I weren't bound by attorney client privilege the stories I could tell

Please, when our JAG left he gave the most amazing farewell speech. Just removed the names.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Pesticide20 posted:

I wasn't around then, but the story goes that the victim had a knife on his plate carrier and the E-6 decided that the best way to teach a lesson was to show. He goes up, grabs the knife, says, "This is why you shouldn't put a knife on like that," then stabs the guy in the plate carrier. Victim was all Ranger and decided he didn't need his plates in that day, so the knife wasn't stopped by much and there was a good amount of force behind it. I'm pretty sure it just missed the dude's heart. Two idiots with one story.

Hahaha holy gently caress, I'm trying to imagine whose expressions would be more incredulous in this situation, the stabbee or the stabber.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

Stultus Maximus posted:

Please, when our JAG left he gave the most amazing farewell speech. Just removed the names.

Haha, I wasn't a JAG, I was the military's equivalent of a legal assistant. Ask defleshed what how that works, that's way beyond my station. The golden rule for us was simply to always keep your mouth shut regardless of whether or not the government was the client.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

GD_American posted:

as in, "there's guys on his old FOB who would love to kill him" ?

Yea, and a certain BN LNO on KAF was trying to set up the meeting. I guess that's less stupid and more into the "homicidal/malicious" territory. Next time the LNO dropped by his tone was far angrier, but also more impotent; when I called IG, I called it on his 1SG (who was the new one, after the one there when Chen killed himself was relieved). There was probably a better way to handle it (let it run up the chain through MedOps to the brigade commander, and then let the poo poo roll back downhill) but that was going to take more time than I was comfortable with, especially if there was a delay at any point because someone couldn't be contacted for any reason. End result was the kid got moved back to home station without any more incident, and I lost track of him once our WTU took him in. I relayed everything I had seen to his new PSG there (I was still in touch with one of my old squad leaders from when I was their XO) and never heard anything else about it.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Setting: Divisional uniform inspection

Inspector: LCDR Ringknocker "Seaman Timmy, did you shave today?"
Seaman Timmy: "No sir, I dont have to"
LCDR: "Then you must have a no-shave chit. Is it on your person? If not, then that is a hit"

Seaman Timmy insists that he is, indeed within standards, meets the requirements and whatnot. His peach fuzz chin is now the focus of the LPO, LCPO, DIVO, and the LCDR (Dept head of other department). He then procedes to instruct LCDR on Navy grooming standards and explaining that he is within standards, quoting regulation numbers and what not.

Dude, just say yes or no, take the hit and get over it.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I wish I had any idea what any of that meant.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
When I was deployed we had only two rules when off base "No drinking" and "No soliciting prostitutes". There really isn't much more to say other than that our E8 flight chief and a bunch of his buddies got back in the van that was taking his group and at least one other group back to base completely drunk and bragging about all the $10 hookers they banged. So much manual labor done and so many stripes lost.

I have some other good stories about this particular former SMSgt and SrA Lardass rear end but I can only stand to think about the Air Force so much before I just get really depressed.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Martello posted:

I wish I had any idea what any of that meant.

Allow me to translate:

Setting: Company uniform inspection

Inspector: Maj Ringknocker "PFC Timmy, did you shave today?"
PFC Timmy: "No sir, I dont have to"
Maj: "Then you must have a no-shave chit. Is it on your person? If not, then that is a hit"

PFC Timmy insists that he is, indeed within standards, meets the requirements and whatnot. His peach fuzz chin is now the focus of the Platoon SGT, 1st SGT, Platoon Commander, and the Maj (Company Commander of other department). He then procedes to instruct Maj on Army grooming standards and explaining that he is within standards, quoting regulation numbers and what not.

Dude, just say yes or no, take the hit and get over it.

(the equivalency isn't perfect but you should get the gist of it now)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

We don't talk like we're in a pirate movie

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

GD_American posted:

Naval Service Supremacy

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

GD_American posted:

Yeah the "chit" thing was one of my biggest issues. Also don't know what "hit" means when it isn't your fist going into a dude's face or a bullet or like one of my people killing another one with a tommy gun.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I'm honestly not throwing stones because "latrine" is a stupid outdated term that I never used after I left Basic, and Christ knows it took me a year to flush the dumber parts of Army lingo from my vocabulary.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Called the school cafeteria the chow hall last week. :negative:

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

Martello posted:

Yeah the "chit" thing was one of my biggest issues. Also don't know what "hit" means when it isn't your fist going into a dude's face or a bullet or like one of my people killing another one with a tommy gun.

"Chit" is a navy term that refers to certain documents. No-shave chit, LLD chit, 72 hour liberty chit, special request chit, etc. Basically a chit waives you from certain regulations for a set amount of time. No-shave chits could be open-ended AFAIK.
"Hit" refers to a discrepency found during an inspection, be it uniform, workspace or administrative records. Hits must be documented and corrected and a followup report submitted.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Nerdfest X posted:

"Chit" is a navy term that refers to certain documents. No-shave chit, LLD chit, 72 hour liberty chit, special request chit, etc. Basically a chit waives you from certain regulations for a set amount of time. No-shave chits could be open-ended AFAIK.
"Hit" refers to a discrepency found during an inspection, be it uniform, workspace or administrative records. Hits must be documented and corrected and a followup report submitted.

Not just a navy term. It's used by the entire CF to describe your medical restriction sheet.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

GD_American posted:

I'm honestly not throwing stones because "latrine" is a stupid outdated term that I never used after I left Basic, and Christ knows it took me a year to flush the dumber parts of Army lingo from my vocabulary.

I spent almost a year working pretty closely with Army peeps and if I ever hear the word HUA again it will be way too loving soon.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

vulturesrow posted:

I spent almost a year working pretty closely with Army peeps and if I ever hear the word HUA again it will be way too loving soon.

When I was at JRTC last week, one of my E4s outta the blue said, "Sir, you look like a man who hates the word 'hoo-ah.'" I said, "loving right I hate it, how did you know?"

Nobody's allowed to say it in my company now, officially.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I tell everyone in my unit that I am surrounded by a five meter no hooah zone.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You guys need to tell them that you demand a hoo-ah at the beginning and end of every sentence.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Martello posted:

When I was at JRTC last week, one of my E4s outta the blue said, "Sir, you look like a man who hates the word 'hoo-ah.'" I said, "loving right I hate it, how did you know?"

Nobody's allowed to say it in my company now, officially.

"Hey, SPC, what are those energy bars in MREs called again?"

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ifire posted:

"Hey, SPC, what are those energy bars in MREs called again?"

I laughed my rear end off the first time I broke open an MRE and saw one of those.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Best I ever saw was when I was mobilizing through Dix, and the bottled water there was called H2Hooah.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Latrine huh? We call them, "heads."

We had this one Deck Seaman who was possibly retarded though some would say secretly brilliant. One of those types. This guy would walk around in a lethargic daze all day and when we were underway, he'd sleep just about anywhere including on watch. Well after being written up numerous times for sleeping on watch he finally made it up to Captain's Mast.

After the basic reading of charges and so forth the captain (full bird O-6) asks SN Timmy some questions. He asks him, why did he join the Navy? SN Timmy replies that he joined the Navy so that he could go to Japan and learn how to be a ninja. The CO pauses for a second, baffled, and then asks him why he's so sleepy all the time. He says he can't sleep at night and that in order to fall asleep he has to tire himself out. The captain isn't sure what that means so he asks; to which SN Timmy says again that he has to tire himself out and then begins to make the international sign for jacking off. The Captain, who happened to be a real tough screamer, almost loses his poo poo at this while everyone else in the room is literally choking back laughter including the XO and the MAC. Meanwhile, SN Timmy has the straightest, somewhat bored look on his face. By the end the CO had ad-sepped SN Timmy, but in the meantime he was made to wear a clock around his neck (think Flava-Flav) until the day he left the ship.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
It's a toss up between the navy and AF for biggest weirdos.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I love when Navy and Marines talk about decks and bulkheads in concrete buildings in the middle of a desert.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Martello posted:

I love when Navy and Marines talk about decks and bulkheads in concrete buildings in the middle of a desert.

Deck, bulkhead, ladderwell, head, hatch, aye, overhead, port, starboard, aft, gaff, ladderwell, field day

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Veins McGee posted:

Deck, bulkhead, ladderwell, head, hatch, aye, overhead, port, starboard, aft, gaff, ladderwell, field day

I had to deal with Marines in the mail-room sometimes and the constant AYE AYEs really amused me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

I had to deal with Marines in the mail-room sometimes and the constant AYE AYEs really amused me.

Every time I'm on an amphib half the Marines greet me with "OORAH SIR". I much prefer the barely-mumbled "good morning" or better yet, avoiding eye contact that sailors do.