Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
By the way, there is a modern, updated, functional merging tool that can do objects and all called SmartMerger that you should look into if you really need a merged objects file. I distinctly recall being shocked at how different things were when I had merged objects because of how much poo poo was being removed by other mods. Here's hoping you find some good effect from it as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Tes3Cmd (https://code.google.com/p/mlox/downloads/list) is what I always use - it has a "Fixit" command that redates mods, cleans mods, and makes a merged patch.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
Apologies if this has been answered before, but Cliff Racer Extinction isn't working for me and I'm getting desperate. Is there another mod with the same function? Does it somehow conflict with Ornitocoptor's Morrowind Overhaul? I don't think I have anything else that would affect the leveled lists, but the cliff racers refuse to die even after moving the extinction mod to the bottom and re-generating MGE's distant land.

My next step will be settling for a passive wildlife mod, but I really just want those little bastards gone.

:sigh:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Have you killed 200,000 Cliff Racers yet?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Mister Adequate posted:

Have you killed 200,000 Cliff Racers yet?

Try the hunt to extinction mod and use the in game menu to kill them right off the bat or Passive Cliffracers mod if that one doesn't work either. Also check that you aren't overwriting the leveled lists with a mashed patch or something.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

LtSmash posted:

Try the hunt to extinction mod and use the in game menu to kill them right off the bat or Passive Cliffracers mod if that one doesn't work either. Also check that you aren't overwriting the leveled lists with a mashed patch or something.
The genocide mod gave me the message that I wouldn't be seeing any more cliff racers, but didn't actually get rid of them (even in a new cell). I tried disabling any mod in my load order that could possibly affect the leveled creatures lists, but no dice. The passivity mod works, though. It'd be really satisfying to never see or hear a cliff racer again, but as long as I can walk around Red Mountain without my stupid companion screaming and flailing at the air every ten seconds, it gets the job done. Thanks for the help.

Tangentially related, here's something that popped up in the awful mods thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4rXsrZRchQ

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Sometimes it's nice to know what you're going to have nightmares about.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
I want to take a moment to bitch about sword mods. Here I am, sifting through a crap-ton of meshes trying to find a handful of swords for my mod upgrade, and it's a hundred variations of this: http://oglaf.com/obituator/ (slightly NWS)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Stuporstar posted:

I want to take a moment to bitch about sword mods. Here I am, sifting through a crap-ton of meshes trying to find a handful of swords for my mod upgrade, and it's a hundred variations of this: http://oglaf.com/obituator/ (slightly NWS)

I gave up on trying to find a decent weapon mod when I noticed they usually fall into one of two categories:
1. They're tremendous in size, with virtually no quality control. The logic seems to be, "If somebody made it, it's going in the mod." These mods take a gargantuan, steaming poo poo on the leveled lists, inundating the game with neon blue axes and endless palette-swapped variations of weapons.
2. They're little weapon packs that you have to install piecemeal. Usually the author is too lazy to even incorporate them into the game (beyond shoving them in a corpse or container somewhere, or adding them to a specific vendor) so you end up having to install 20 or 30 plugins, each doing bizarrely specific things. "This one adds 2 gold swords to the vendor in Balmora and this one adds a new axe to a nord outside of Seyda neen!"

It's actually sort of weird how, in ten years, nobody has tried to assemble a mod of cherry-picked "quality" weapons that are actually incorporated into the game.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I gave up on trying to find a decent weapon mod when I noticed they usually fall into one of two categories:
1. They're tremendous in size, with virtually no quality control. The logic seems to be, "If somebody made it, it's going in the mod." These mods take a gargantuan, steaming poo poo on the leveled lists, inundating the game with neon blue axes and endless palette-swapped variations of weapons.
2. They're little weapon packs that you have to install piecemeal. Usually the author is too lazy to even incorporate them into the game (beyond shoving them in a corpse or container somewhere, or adding them to a specific vendor) so you end up having to install 20 or 30 plugins, each doing bizarrely specific things. "This one adds 2 gold swords to the vendor in Balmora and this one adds a new axe to a nord outside of Seyda neen!"

It's actually sort of weird how, in ten years, nobody has tried to assemble a mod of cherry-picked "quality" weapons that are actually incorporated into the game.

gently caress, I know. The worst thing about the mega-packs is they tend to rename everything to a homogenous pile of poo poo that doesn't describe anything properly, making it a time-intensive task sifting through all the poo poo for a few pearls. Then you have to decode their obscure naming system to find out who the gently caress made what. I never add these ton-o-garbage mods to my game, because there is no way in hell I want to encounter goddamned Klingon weapons, for gently caress's sake, while poking through chests. I'm actually looking for a few decent (as in actually functional looking) swords to add to UL for display purposes. For modding purposes, I far prefer the tiny mod packs even without having them properly filed and added to the game, because it's easier to pick and choose stuff to add myself. I've spent a few hours stuffing these meshes into my own folders for archive purposes. So far the largest folder is the one labelled "stupid crap." :ughh:

One of these days I'll need to relearn how to model (I'm 10 years out of date) so I can make my own stuff and not have to deal with this bullshit anymore. Actually, the first thing I'd make is that Oglaf dick-sword and post it as a commentary on all the crap on TES Nexus.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 1, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Stuporstar posted:

gently caress, I know. The worst thing about the mega-packs is they tend to rename everything to a homogenous pile of poo poo that doesn't describe anything properly, making it a time-intensive task sifting through all the poo poo for a few pearls. Then you have to decode their obscure naming system to find out who the gently caress made what. I never add these ton-o-garbage mods to my game, because there is no way in hell I want to encounter goddamned Klingon weapons, for gently caress's sake, while poking through chests. I'm actually looking for a few decent (as in actually functional looking) swords to add to UL for display purposes. For modding purposes, I far prefer the tiny mod packs even without having them properly filed and added to the game, because it's easier to pick and choose stuff to add myself. I've spent a few hours stuffing these meshes into my own folders for archive purposes. So far the largest folder is the one labelled "stupid crap." :ughh:

One of these days I'll need to relearn how to model (I'm 10 years out of date) so I can make my own stuff and not have to deal with this bullshit anymore. Actually, the first thing I'd make is that Oglaf dick-sword and post it as a commentary on all the crap on TES Nexus.

As long as you put some boobs on it (the sword), it'll be okay!

I recently tossed out "Enhanced Economics" for some of the reasons you describe. It suffered from the usual stuff: A lot of ridiculously priced and imbalanced equipment, with vague names that made it difficult to figure out how I should edit them so that they wouldn't break my game. Then I ran into a "Gunblade" (like, from the Final Fantasy series) and a modern crossbow with an optic and everything. :thumbsup:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah it's a shame, because there's a lot of really well-done mods for single weapons (or a few weapons) but they're usually not placed in the world (or are out of the way). If my memory from my TES forums days is accurate I think this one guy Phijama made really good weapons?

E: I should go back through my old mod stockpile, I'm sure I have some good, single-weapon mods in there.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 1, 2013

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Yeah, Phijama's stuff is drat good. In fact, I ended up using two of his. Blademaster's stuff isn't bad either—decent fantasy swords that aren't over the top stupid. They fit in with MW pretty well. I ditched the compilation mod and did a search for both of them on MMH. Between Phijama's sheathing weapons mod and Blademaster's sword mod (Has 32 new weapons in it or something), I have enough decent swords to choose from now.

I had less problem searching for staffs because I give a lot more leeway in design. The trained metalsmith in me will not suffer a sword that looks like it'll break the first time you hit someone with it, but I don't mind a bit of ridiculous in something geared for spellcasting. Though I downloaded the MG Epic Addon and found out the staffs (some which look kinda neat) all have stupid animations that go well beyond my tolerance for jackassery. So I kit-bashed the fuckers I wanted and ripped the animations out.

Pottsdam
Sep 11, 2000

MY MEAT!
MY MEAAAATTTTT!
Hadlock's file compilation in the OP was taken down. What were files 6 and 7? Wrye Mash and what else?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Pottsdam posted:

Hadlock's file compilation in the OP was taken down. What were files 6 and 7? Wrye Mash and what else?

I think that was mgeXE and the shaders for it. I think that zip isn't really needed if you are using mgso 3 as it bundles all the installers and patches and exe tweaks and whatnot into its own installer as well as mge and a whole ton of mods.

Also if anyone wants it I made a merged plugin for all of NX9's deadra mods (and psy's unique dremora) because they mess with the same leveled lists and it always merged weird for me. I figured people here might be interested in it since they are part of Oggumogoggum's pack.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

LtSmash posted:

I think that was mgeXE and the shaders for it. I think that zip isn't really needed if you are using mgso 3 as it bundles all the installers and patches and exe tweaks and whatnot into its own installer as well as mge and a whole ton of mods.

Also if anyone wants it I made a merged plugin for all of NX9's deadra mods (and psy's unique dremora) because they mess with the same leveled lists and it always merged weird for me. I figured people here might be interested in it since they are part of Oggumogoggum's pack.

File 7 was an optional collection of HUD mods.

The specific files in Hadlock's pack don't actually come with MGSO v3, even though they're mentioned as a part of installation. If you don't have them, the installer will link you to Microsoft's webpage to download them. I also have them as part of basic installation so people who don't use MGSO will still get them, since they are required. I'll try to rehost the pack at some point today. It is done.

Musical_Daredevil fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 2, 2013

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I would pay actual real money to someone if they sifted through everything and put out a proper decent quality weapon/armor mod.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

What exactly is stopping someone from throwing up a page with a torrent for a nicely polished/tweaked mod compilation? I was under the impression that game mods were considered derivative works, so I don't really understand how the modding community still manages to get collections that were compiled without the mods' authors' permission taken down.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Mammal Sauce posted:

What exactly is stopping someone from throwing up a page with a torrent for a nicely polished/tweaked mod compilation? I was under the impression that game mods were considered derivative works, so I don't really understand how the modding community still manages to get collections that were compiled without the mods' authors' permission taken down.

Lots of bitching and whining, and mod site administrators who kowtow to the people who complain about it because modders tend to be gigantic manchildren who will remove their stuff from a particular website/everywhere at the drop of a hat. Torrents sidestep the issue, which is why they do exist (Oggum's is the only one that comes to mind but you can google 'Morrowind mod compilation/pack torrent' and get a lot of results).

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

I've always liked the idea of completing Oggum-style modpacks for Oblivion and Skyrim as well and setting up a domain to explain all three, provide proper credits for each mod, and link to the torrents -- but that would require a lot of time that I really don't have at the moment.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Just reinstalled Morrowind. I haven't played this game properly for about 10 years so it's nice coming back. It's a huge shock though, having to actually follow directions (e.g. follow the river east until you come to a fork in the road) without being able to use a marker. I'm also desperately poor, since all those 10 000+ gold items are missing from Morrowind and nobody has more than 1500 gold anyway.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Octy posted:

Just reinstalled Morrowind. I haven't played this game properly for about 10 years so it's nice coming back. It's a huge shock though, having to actually follow directions (e.g. follow the river east until you come to a fork in the road) without being able to use a marker. I'm also desperately poor, since all those 10 000+ gold items are missing from Morrowind and nobody has more than 1500 gold anyway.
In Caldera there's a house called Ghorak Manor that has the best merchant in the game. Go find him and you won't be poor for much longer. :)

And yeah, my month-long Morrowind binge led to a whole new appreciation for the quest compass. Who the hell cares if it's "immersion-breaking," it's better than crawling around the same acre of land for an hour because you can't find the entrance to the tomb you're looking for.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Ratspeaker posted:

In Caldera there's a house called Ghorak Manor that has the best merchant in the game. Go find him and you won't be poor for much longer. :)

Not a fan of Mudcrab Merchant, eh? He's much harder to get to, I'll give you that.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Ratspeaker posted:

And yeah, my month-long Morrowind binge led to a whole new appreciation for the quest compass. Who the hell cares if it's "immersion-breaking," it's better than crawling around the same acre of land for an hour because you can't find the entrance to the tomb you're looking for.

drat, should have gone there. I had a whole bunch of Dwemer stuff that I could only sell for a fifth of their value, but I'm still tooling around in Balmora for the Hlaalu and Blades quests.

I can't wait to head to Solstheim. That whole questline where you slowly build the village was awesome and I don't know why they didn't do the same thing in Oblivion or Skyrim.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Ratspeaker posted:

I legitimately love having to read my journal and compare it to the map, and getting lost because I take a wrong turn or something. :negative:

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

I legitimately love having to read my journal and compare it to the map, and getting lost because I take a wrong turn or something. :negative:
I enjoyed it for the first few sessions, but after that, it got tedious. And between the snow and the trees, trying to navigate Solstheim was brutal. I don't know how anyone managed before the days of the Graphics Extender + Distant Land, when you couldn't just levitate a mile into the sky to get your bearings because your view distance was limited to thirty goddamn feet. I don't know how anybody playing a non-magic user can handle it at all. But I did both of those things way back in the day, so maybe I'm just spoiled by fancy new games.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I like using Sign posts.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Just downloaded my favourite mod from back in the day - Fishing Academy. I never bothered with the fishing, but drat, sailing my ship right up to Solstheim is amazing.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I remember downloading some boat mod for Morrowind way back when. It was fantastic. Basically, it was Peaceful Isolation: The Mod. I remember being disappointed when Oblivion and Skyrim didn't have near enough water around them.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Random photobomb!

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Thank goodness you still post in this thread Cream. I followed your instructions to the letter about porting Skyrim music to Morrowind but I get a fairly significant pause whenever a Skyrim track is about to play. Don't suppose you've got any clue as to how to fix it?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Octy posted:

Thank goodness you still post in this thread Cream. I followed your instructions to the letter about porting Skyrim music to Morrowind but I get a fairly significant pause whenever a Skyrim track is about to play. Don't suppose you've got any clue as to how to fix it?

Interesting! How long would you say the pauses are? And I assume that that means the Skyrim tracks still play, eventually? Most of the tracks I converted were 15 minutes long, give or take. I know there are a number of Skyrim tracks that, when merged, are 45-55 minutes long. Perhaps the game really struggles to get those longer tracks ready to play, especially considering the vanilla tracks are 1-5 minutes long? I'd be curious if the pauses occur on all Skyrim tracks, or if some seem to play without any issues.

Alternatively, have you defragged recently? Maybe that has something to do with it.

I should also mention that I haven't done anything special with Morrowind, itself, to get the music to play, so I wouldn't expect you would have to, either.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Ah, I just noticed a pattern. Two of the tracks are above 30 minutes and those were the ones playing most frequently with about a three second pause. The rest are below 10 minutes. I'll try deleting the longer ones and see how I go.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

This won't run on my laptop. It gets to the main menu, when it's just showing the background texture before the words appear, and the just stops. The task manager says it's still responding, but I have no choice but to kill the task to quit it. I can't find anything on Google, mainly because of more common bugs occurring at that point, but it isn't those. Anyone else experienced something similar?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Octy posted:

Ah, I just noticed a pattern. Two of the tracks are above 30 minutes and those were the ones playing most frequently with about a three second pause. The rest are below 10 minutes. I'll try deleting the longer ones and see how I go.

Cool, that's what I was thinking. Good that you figured it out.

Praseodymi posted:

This won't run on my laptop. It gets to the main menu, when it's just showing the background texture before the words appear, and the just stops. The task manager says it's still responding, but I have no choice but to kill the task to quit it. I can't find anything on Google, mainly because of more common bugs occurring at that point, but it isn't those. Anyone else experienced something similar?

Probably going to need to give more details, like your laptop's specs (OS especially) and whether or not you're running with any mods.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E520 NZ38QUK, so Windows 7, No mods - It's a clean install from steam.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Praseodymi posted:

Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E520 NZ38QUK, so Windows 7, No mods - It's a clean install from steam.
Have you disabled the Steam community in-game overlay? It can cause weird problems with Morrowind.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
So am I right in thinking that the goal of Morrowind is not to win as such, but to go around seeing what might be over the next hill?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Exioce posted:

So am I right in thinking that the goal of Morrowind is not to win as such, but to go around seeing what might be over the next hill?

Yep. That's not to say the main quest isn't good, I actually think it's better than Oblivion and Skyrim's. But you should just do whatever you feel like doing and not cheat yourself out of most of the game's content by sticking to a single quest line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
So I'm trying to regenerate Distant Lands, but no matter what I try it fails on the absolute last step with the error:

A fatal error occurred creating the distant statics files.
Non-negative Number Required.
Parameter Name: Value.

WTF? Ornithocopter seems to have vanished in October, so no help on that front. :(