Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Papillon Mask posted:

I just tried to update to 6.1 from 5.1.1, and it kicked me into Recovery mode. Said I had to restore to do anything with my iPad, and I couldn't boot back into iOS or anything.
So, I'm like "Okay, I'll restore. Whatever. Hope I don't lose any poo poo." Well then it tells me I can't restore, because "The iPad cannot be restored at this time because the iPad software update server could not be contacted or is temporarily unavailable." Is this just because Apple's servers are getting pounded from people downloading iOS 6, or is there something else I need to do?

Check your hosts file, get rid of anything that references gs.apple.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Anybody getting HTTP 500 errors when trying to install bitesms or anything useful?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Captain Apollo posted:

Anybody getting HTTP 500 errors when trying to install bitesms or anything useful?

Nope. It's just you.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Captain Apollo posted:

Just keep trying. I can get an error one try and succeed on the next.

Alternatively, you can install a few of the supporting packages by themselves and make the larger installs go smoother:

dba-tech Common
Mobile Substrate
pincrush
PreferenceLoader
Substrate Safe Mode
WeePreferenceLoader

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Is the apple update server down? I've tried updating to 6.1 a few times and it tells me the server is down.

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?

Delthalaz posted:

Is the apple update server down? I've tried updating to 6.1 a few times and it tells me the server is down.

I had a hard time with the apple update server as well, but it took on the second restore attempt. Not surprised if it's having hiccups from a massive rush of upgrading as well.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Delthalaz posted:

FIX YOUR HOSTS FILE.

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?
And although the 6.1 install and jailbreak went fine I can't get anything from Cydia beyond the untether update. So I guess I'll have Frankenphone until demand lets up.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
I didn't see this answered anywhere...

Can I continue to do iCloud backups each night with a jailbroken iPhone, or do I need to change that?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Inspect Your Gadgets › iOS Jailbreaking Thread: New JB is out! Fix your hosts file before updating. Cydia is hammered; relax.

Too long? Maybe a bold "read the OP!" and add a siren-alert bullet list at the top of the OP?

Ozmodiar posted:

I didn't see this answered anywhere...

Can I continue to do iCloud backups each night with a jailbroken iPhone, or do I need to change that?
Yes iCloud and iTunes backups will still work the same after JB.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Edit: never mind, figured it out

Delthalaz fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 5, 2013

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

randyest posted:

Yes iCloud and iTunes backups will still work the same after JB.

Thanks.

And holy poo poo that was quick & easy. It takes longer to root a Nexus device than that.

What do I need to do next? This is the first time I've jailbroken an iOS device. I read a lot about TinyUnmbrella and saving my SHSH blobs...but I'm not really sure what to do from here.

EDIT:
Also, it's safe to re-add my lockscreen password now, correct?

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 5, 2013

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Has anyone else jailbroken their ipad 4/LTE? I jailbroke mine earlier and now I keep getting "SIM Errors" every so often, which causes iOS to think I have an invalid sim, forcing me to reboot if I want to use the sim card again. Anyone else having this problem?

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?
I stubbornly continued to use Backgrounder through iOS 5.1.1 because I was accustomed to its behavior with Multifl0w. Over time it became super-buggy though, and I think I'm actually sort of liking the Apple task switcher more as I play around with it now.

All this to ask, does anyone use Multifl0w in conjunction with the task switcher? If so is it useful or superfluous?

lox
Apr 24, 2006

coffin party

ihatepants posted:

Has anyone else jailbroken their ipad 4/LTE? I jailbroke mine earlier and now I keep getting "SIM Errors" every so often, which causes iOS to think I have an invalid sim, forcing me to reboot if I want to use the sim card again. Anyone else having this problem?

I used the jailbreak tool on mine and everything still works fine. I've not gotten any such error after being jailbroken and using LTE.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
f.lux for iPad is my new favorite thing.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

lox posted:

I used the jailbreak tool on mine and everything still works fine. I've not gotten any such error after being jailbroken and using LTE.

Thanks, I guess I'll try to re-restore and re-jailbreak in the morning.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Unfortunately, all the jailbreak tweaks I still desire most are paid ones so I have to wait until Saurik gets his pay system fixed so I can download stuff I bought before...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Worth jailbreaking just for NoSpot. Finally, I can end the tyranny of that worthless screen that mildly inconveniences me when I screw up a swipe.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

A bunch of poo poo that was broken for the tethered jailbreak is now working flawlessly. I mean a lot of them haven't even been updated since 2011 and they're slotting in nicely.

Does the tethered jailbreak suck that much?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Damnit Weathericon is broken in iOS 6.1. I doubt there will be a fix out for it either.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Djarum posted:

Damnit Weathericon is broken in iOS 6.1. I doubt there will be a fix out for it either.

It's a known issue and apparently they're working on a fix so at least there's that.

aca
Dec 19, 2004
heh
I keep getting a Half-Installed Package error with Cydia, it says I can Ignore it or Forcibily Clear (Unsafe).. Anyone know about this problem?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

jesus christ stop using cydia until poo poo dies down

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Is f.lux the app that fucks with your screen's color balance and makes it piss-yellow at night? Also is there a good guide for making .font packages for BytaFont? I'm a graphic designer and I can't handle (a) their lovely download app and (b) their lovely no-name fonts.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

aca posted:

I keep getting a Half-Installed Package error with Cydia, it says I can Ignore it or Forcibily Clear (Unsafe).. Anyone know about this problem?

Choose Ignore then uninstall/remove the partially installed package

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Yes f.lux changes the white balance (and brightness?). It makes it much more pleasant to use in very dark situations.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

Fayez Butts posted:

Is f.lux the app that fucks with your screen's color balance and makes it piss-yellow at night?
Yup!

FakeClock Up is amazing. The phone really does feel faster with less animations!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Haha holy poo poo I just installed fakeclockup now that the servers have stopped taking such a beating. This is nutty.

What speeds you guys running?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
1.4x seems about right on the i5 for me. Any higher and applications open so quick you're stuck looking at a splash screen forever waiting for everything else to catch up.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
Is FakeClockUp on a different server that you have to add on Cydia? I'm not finding it via search box.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Alright, restored to clean slate 6.1, jailbroken, and restored my apps. Now time to check out some apps. Is Cydia still taking a beating?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Klowns posted:

Is FakeClockUp on a different server that you have to add on Cydia? I'm not finding it via search box.

Not in the default repos; you'll need to add http://hitoriblog.com/apt/

Milo Pollywalter
Nov 25, 2006

there's a bear going round, taking names

Klowns posted:

Yeah, you have to add http://hitoriblog.com/apt/ to your Cydia repos. This repo is also being hammered right now, so ymmv

edit: beaten

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Vintimus Prime posted:

Alright, restored to clean slate 6.1, jailbroken, and restored my apps. Now time to check out some apps. Is Cydia still taking a beating?

Less so than before, but I'm still getting a ton of errors when I try to download from Cydia. It might be best to wait until tomorrow, or whenever things settle down.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Yes it is.
E: beaten.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Is there a good thing that lets me hide things like Game Center or Newsstand?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

ManSedan posted:

Is there a good thing that lets me hide things like Game Center or Newsstand?

Poof for any applications
NoNewsIsGoodNews for Newsstand since it's treated as a folder

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Bargearse posted:

Less so than before, but I'm still getting a ton of errors when I try to download from Cydia. It might be best to wait until tomorrow, or whenever things settle down.

Thanks for the update. I managed to get biteSMS on there, so playing with that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
If you have previously placed NewsStand in a folder, you can quickly respring without rebooting by clicking it which will crash the Springboard. It will respring in to safe mode. Then click the status bar (where it says "Exit Safe Mode") and it will respring out of safe mode. It's quicker than rebooting until you can get a proper respring app from Cydia.

TCPOptimizer -- Coupled with FakeClockUp, this feels like a new iPhone!

• Locked thread