Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

And let's not forget whistle tips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sellouts posted:

And let's not forget whistle tips

Woo woo! It's 4:30 in the mawnin'!!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Welp, we won my first game 4-3, but I have to admit nothing that happened on the ice was a result of me being a great player. :haw:

Most of my effort was spent just trying to avoid being a liability, clogging passing lanes and all that fun stuff while I took in the atmosphere. They stuck in me in as a forward but I've always been a defensive minded sort so I may not have been aggressive enough.. ended up being out for a goal for and a goal against. I did manage to prevent a couple breakouts which I guess is a good place to start.

I did forget to hustle to the bench for changes which is definitely a newbie thing to do. I also managed to pull a muscle in my leg trying to go over the boards because I didn't get a proper warmup in, but the pain disappeared in less than an hour so I don't think it's too serious. I'll test it out at the gym tomorrow to make sure there's no issues once I'm exerting again.

Which reminds me, my conditioning seems a little better than I thought it was. It was worrying me because during clinics I get completely toasted, but for the game I was able to push hard every shift and didn't lose speed. Hour and 20 minute game and my gear barely felt damp when I took it off. :v:

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
Warmup chat -- what do you guys do? I don't really do anything, just a bit of skating pre-game (in the 5min they give you,) but there are a few guys who'll jump rope or stretch before the game. I always thought static stretching was bad, as all it does is strain the muscle at it's weakest point. I think I need to do something, though, because I don't get that warm feel good feeling until like mid-to-most the way through the first period.

edit: We also won our tournament! It's the first ironman I've won, and we had to beat 2 teams of pro-level inline players to do it. :feelsgood:

cenzo fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 4, 2013

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Yeah all I ever do to warm up is skate around for a few minutes, do some stick handling, and rip a few shots at the net and I'm ready to go. I am relatively young (28) so that may not work for everyone but most of my warm up is for the mental more than physical anyway. I need to get my head in it and get my bearings before the game starts more than anything.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I usually take a couple of laps around our end then take a couple shots and handle a puck a little bit. Maybe a couple of quick starts and some backwards/forwards transitions. Though, I usually don't feel fully up to speed until after my first shift so I dunno if I'm doing it right.

Also, I found that I was feeling physically cold/chilled sitting around getting dressed in the locker room so I've started keeping a hoodie on while I put on my shins/skates etc and don't put on my upper body stuff until I'm ready to leave the room. That seems to make me feel a little looser when I get on the ice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have laughably poor flexibility so I prefer a 10 minute warmup. I can do it in 5, but I like taking my time so 10 minutes feels "right".

Skate laps, go through a list of dynamic stretches that hit all the muscle groups, and finish with a 2 lap sprint. I might have to switch to an off ice warmup if being rushed to start the game becomes a trend.. clinics are much more mellow and gives me plenty of time to putter around and convince my body it wants to play hockey.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
Our goalie is only in net for about a minute before gametime so in reverse order: Take a few shots on the goalie from each point and the high slot, practice some totally game-inappropriate NHL stick handling moves at a glacier pace, do a few quick stops to make sure my edges aren't blown(or at least know what state they're in), skate a few laps in both directions, sit on the boards while dudes static stretch and watch the other team.

I agree that static stretching is bad. During my pregame laps, I'll exaggerate my movements to over extends my legs and do some light upper body stretching while I'm moving.

All that said, I have the same problem as some others. I don't really feel warmed up until I'm a couple of shifts into the game at full speed. I already get dressed with a hoodie on until I'm ready to go and doing any kind of exercise in our comically small locker rooms would be pointless so I'm not sure what else I can do.

xzzy posted:

Which reminds me, my conditioning seems a little better than I thought it was. It was worrying me because during clinics I get completely toasted, but for the game I was able to push hard every shift and didn't lose speed. Hour and 20 minute game and my gear barely felt damp when I took it off. :v:

As far as I've ever been concerned, this is ideal.

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007
Personally, I find that putting on my equipment is just right for both warming up and stretching.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Caught an edge last night with no one around me and fell right on my rear end. I asked the ref if he was blind and didn't see that blatant trip. He turns toward me, points at me, and says "2 minutes for looking stupid" and skates off.

Refs that joke around are awesome.

e: Oh yeah, the LTP team I play for has their first winning streak of 2 games!

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 4, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I go easy on guys that spill, because the ice I'm usually skating on is poo poo with enormous gouges in them. It doesn't take much to hit one wrong and go flying.

Faceoff dots tend to be the worst spots because that's where people running drills tend to do tight turns and they really carve poo poo up.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

xzzy posted:

I have laughably poor flexibility so I prefer a 10 minute warmup. I can do it in 5, but I like taking my time so 10 minutes feels "right".

Welcome to league play. You're only really ever going to get five minutes at best. The league here in Austin only gives me three minutes which is pretty much 1) Let ice finish freezing, 2) Get in net and take a round of shots, 3) Go stretch, 4) Take another few rounds of shots (if time permits), 5) Scuff up/fix crease. On a good day I get through 1-3. :(

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

You forgot the part where instead of shots, dudes just deke you.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Nothing beats SHOOTOUT CHALLENGE during warmups.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Nothing beats SHOOTOUT CHALLENGE during warmups.

"HEY BRO CHECK OUT MY SWEET DEKES!! Its like you didn't even try to stop it"

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

Hockey X in Oakland. It owns except for that having to go to Oakland part.

Thanks!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pond jerseys just came in today. Pics for the most of you who aren't facebook friends with me.
sellouts, you win this one. Highstick owns. These look sick and fit great!

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Hockles posted:

You forgot the part where instead of shots, dudes just deke you.

Oh right. I forgot those because I just sit there during those. Honestly, this team I'm on now is good at not doing the Warmup Shootout Challenge.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Pond jerseys just came in today. Pics for the most of you who aren't facebook friends with me.
sellouts, you win this one. Highstick owns. These look sick and fit great!

These look awesome - looking forward to playing with you next week!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

I go easy on guys that spill, because the ice I'm usually skating on is poo poo with enormous gouges in them. It doesn't take much to hit one wrong and go flying.

Pond hockey bros, thoughts on this? Will you ever really complain about indoor ice again after skating through cracks that are deeper than your runner+holder and cause your boot to scrape?

Xzzy, congrats on your league game though! Your post was pretty detailed but how much fun did you have? How were your teammates? Did you like your line?

Also HZ those jerseys look great. Love the flyers colors. Great look.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 5, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

19 o'clock posted:

These look awesome - looking forward to playing with you next week!

If you can fit a large with no shoulder pads, you can be Lee #14. They are actually slightly bigger than a usual large, so it may fit you! I already told the dude that he can't have them til after the tournament. If you want, you can probably order a set if you want one for the hell of it. I think I just need to give you the link to our team page on highstick.com.

It's going to be great to have someone with mountain lungs. Don't show us sea levelers up too much.

sellouts posted:

Also HZ those jerseys look great. Love the flyers colors. Great look.

Thanks dude, I'm really happy with how they came out. It was between Philly, Carolina or the cool looking green/black Dallas colors they offer. I was good with either of the 3.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 5, 2013

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sellouts posted:

Pond hockey bros, thoughts on this? Will you ever really complain about indoor ice again after skating through cracks that are deeper than your runner+holder and cause your boot to scrape?

It was so weird being able to stickhandle last week after playing with what was essentially a bouncy-ball on concrete for a weekend. But I miss it. :confused:

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

If you can fit a large with no shoulder pads, you can be Lee #14. They are actually slightly bigger than a usual large, so it may fit you! I already told the dude that he can't have them til after the tournament. If you want, you can probably order a set if you want one for the hell of it. I think I just need to give you the link to our team page on highstick.com.

It's going to be great to have someone with mountain lungs. Don't show us sea levelers up too much.

Excellent. I should be good to wear it, I'm tall and pretty lean so it may just be a little short. All else fails I have a flyers colored jersey from one of my beer league teams, too. I would love to order a set, but I gotta figure out my money situation right now. Got a massive tax bill this year because I made too much money last year from my business, so it's all about being frugal for the next couple of months where possible.

Altitude sickness can make you feel hellish. Drink lots of water when you're up here and listen to your body. I drink a couple of gallons of water a day up here (and sometimes a couple gallons of beer).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also be prepared to eat like a goddamn horse. Your body burns a more energy at high altitude as it tries to compensate for the thin air, which translates into absurd hunger.

Wife and I spent a few days in RMNP a ways back and after a day of hiking at 9,000+ feet, when we sat down for dinner I was shoveling food like I was 17 again.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Beer is like 98% water so I think we're good.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Beer is like 98% water so I think we're good.

Absolutely.

Yeah, you're body goes into overdrive producing more red blood cells to deliver oxygen to your body, so you'll feel a little haggard and probably lose a few pounds by the end of the tournament. Gonna be funnnnnnn.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Those jerseys are awesome!

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
The last time I went to a hockey tournament in Denver, one of the teammates I was staying with was super nasty sick. We were all "oh it's the altitude" and stuff. Then I got home and 2 days later my entire GI tract tried to liquify itself and exit whatever way it could for 24 straight hours.

That is my story about playing hockey in Colorado.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

I'm pretty sure these cracks making me fall are what cost us the games. :manning:
Sadly, cracks excluded, the ice on Mirror Lake was better than what I had in the crease upon my return to goaltending in Austin but I also wasn't trying to puckhandle in Lake Placid.

HZ those are some sweet jerseys. I'm looking forward to the stories and photos from up there.

xzzy posted:

Wife and I spent a few days in RMNP a ways back and after a day of hiking at 9,000+ feet, when we sat down for dinner I was shoveling food like I was 17 again.

This was the best part about camping in RMNP. That and getting drunk super fast.

If possible, I'd advise flying into Denver a day or two early to acclimate to at least 5280'. My mother-in-law flew in one night, drove up to Winter Park @ 10,000' the next day, and immediately got altitude sickness for the first couple days of her vacation.
Are you guys staying up at Red Feather or down in Ft. Collins?

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
Last night in a terrible loss, I stopped hard on the puck and lost the "edge" of my wheel on my inside foot and managed to do some kind of split maneuver. As if that wasn't bad enough, the man covering me tripped over my sprawled out outside leg and twisted it a bit, causing an even worse looking split and a pop in my groin. I was also called for tripping, so there goes my lady byng trophy of men's league.

Good news is it doesn't hurt overmuch today, still going to take it easy until the weekend. The last time I felt a pop like that my knee was sore for like 3-4 weeks. Fingers crossed.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thanks for all the jersey love. I'm really pleased with how they came out. Everyone was loving pumped when I brought them to the rink last night.

On another note, my line scored on our first 2 shifts and we completely lit up the team that no one in the league loving likes. :feelsgood:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not that it's a very high bar, but those jerseys have the one of the more subtle euphemism I've seen in a while.

Most beer leaguers beat you over the head with their clever boner jokes.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
Late to the "those jerseys are sweet" party. I wish I'd known about highstick when we ordered our Red Stags jerseys.

7-8 shootout loss last night. The other team was sporting a number of hockey stereotypes: Haggard old guy that probably started playing before helmets we a thing, a gigantor of a human who could hardly stand up whose sole purpose was to push forwards out of the slot, and 19 year old hothead who ended up getting tossed for trying to drag one of our forwards around by his cage.

That old gently caress was a sniper though. He made some ridiculously wide angle shots and looked like every single one of them was on purpose. He had a hat trick and skated circles around most of our team.

Operation: Douchebag was a moderate success. I went with pajama pants over my shins, pink stick and pink laces. A bunch of chirping from the other team led to a lot of turnovers but having a pink stick turns out to be a liability for me because I get a lot of stick penalties and last night I may as well have lit mine up with neon. After 2 slashing calls while kicking people out of the low slot I switched to my ancient Bauer Convex backup stick. All in all, I think I'm gonna roll with it from now on.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Not that it's a very high bar, but those jerseys have the one of the more subtle euphemism I've seen in a while.

Most beer leaguers beat you over the head with their clever boner jokes.

It all came from the lawyer on the team. Apparently he had a case a while back, and found out that it is illegal in California to be "in a turgid state" in public. Hence, the team name was born.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Where'd you get the art? Whoever did it could make some side cash taking commissions for sex themed team logos.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The lawyer's brother or something was a graphic designer. It turned out really well for being a boner joke.

rednender
Mar 28, 2012

sellouts posted:

You know, I was totally thinking about that coming back. The closest rink to me, I used to complain about the ice all the time. After skating in LP, I don't think I'll complain again. Tonight will be my first time in a rink since LP. It should be nice.

Also, going to try out sweats instead of socks.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The hockeymonkey sale on EQ50 skates right now is about as good of a deal as I've ever seen on hockey stuff, $229 with most sizes and widths available. I haven't ever used them but several guys I play with do (they were what OU hockey gave its players) and they seem pretty popular.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Just came here to n'th the sweet jerseys comment. That's hilarious.

My team has the unfortunate distinction of being those guys with the camo jerseys :smith:

Let me know if you guys get stuck in Denver at all. I'll drag you out to Falling Rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rednender
Mar 28, 2012

bewbies posted:

The hockeymonkey sale on EQ50 skates right now is about as good of a deal as I've ever seen on hockey stuff, $229 with most sizes and widths available. I haven't ever used them but several guys I play with do (they were what OU hockey gave its players) and they seem pretty popular.

Those are the skates I have. They work really well for me. I have never had blisters from them and they are very comfortable.

Also, after using sweats instead of hockey socks, I don't think I'll go back to socks, at least not for drop in.