Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Relin posted:

Why is this being translated while air master is left to rot :(

Air Master is poo poo, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
YOU'RE poo poo

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Relin posted:

YOU'RE poo poo

True, but that doesn't make Air Master any less terrible.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Tetsuwan Girl - Women's baseball in post-war Japan.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Ocha Nigosu

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Personal_Nirvana posted:

i'm sorry, but no.

Just no.

Is it like the movie? Because goddamn i was incredibly uncomfortable during the entirety of it.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Plutonis posted:

Is it like the movie? Because goddamn i was incredibly uncomfortable during the entirety of it.
It's worse. In all the good and all the bad ways.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Plutonis posted:

Even if the stuff that happens in the manga is technically "worse" since it is a different medium you might not find it as uncomfortable. I couldn't stand the movie but I really enjoy the manga for what it is (Which is certainly not some kind of of high art).

symphoniccacophony
Mar 20, 2009

Suben posted:

Tetsuwan Girl - Women's baseball in post-war Japan.

For a moment I thought this is a new series from author of Blade of Immortal

Mencils
Mar 12, 2012

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Not a full page but just a small sample from Hideout.

Lectim
Jan 2, 2010
Ciguatera

Dorohedoro

Can you guess which one is a slice-of-life story and which one is about witches and alligator monster people?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Well, the guy in the bottom image there is clearly laughing merrily at having obtained a packet of beef jerky, while only loving magic could possibly explain what's going on in the top image, so I'm gonna guess that the top is about witches and the bottom is the slice of life.

Seriously though read both of those, they're great.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Sangokushi - Tetsujin 28/Gigantor creator Mitsuteru Yokoyama does a Romance of the Three Kingdoms adaptation.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Argh, I've always thought Manga was stupid because almost all the ones I'd been exposed to were terrible. Now I've been reading Manga online for three days thanks to this stupid (awesome) thread.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"
Gate - A medieval D&D fantasy world led by Imperial Rome invades Earth, pitting Magic Missile against guided missiles.

The tone is a bit weird because the author can't decide whether to do a serious story about a military campaign, or draw girls with cat ears.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

Gate - A medieval D&D fantasy world led by Imperial Rome invades Earth, pitting Magic Missile against guided missiles.

The tone is a bit weird because the author can't decide whether to do a serious story about a military campaign, or draw girls with cat ears.

I've read parts of it and kinda like it and the concept but according to what I''ve heard the writer gets really nationalistic after a while with the plot. Still, kinda like the concept.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, it definitely has that problem. I read it because I like a good fish out of water story, but it's very unnerving with its "Man Japan is AWESOME y'all should probably do what we say or else" and shades of misogyny.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Cooked Auto posted:

I've read parts of it and kinda like it and the concept but according to what I''ve heard the writer gets really nationalistic after a while with the plot. Still, kinda like the concept.
Apparently its based on a "web novel" (whatever that is) written by some ultra-conservative nutjob. When the comic was published, one of the requirements was to remove all the jingo and racism. They didn't quite get it all; there's a couple pages about ~*~evil non-Japan nations~*~, plus note that all of the hostile armies are entirely Indo-European. But they removed enough that it's no more offensive than any other military-themed comic aimed at young men.

It has the feel of trying really hard to be picked up as a television adaptation (no other way to explain the female armor designs), so I'm cautiously optimistic the publisher will keep a tight rein on things.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Pretty much any manga about the Japanese military will inevitably be so nationalistic that even (normal) Japanese people can't read it without facepalming. See: Zipang

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

By way of the weird fanart thread:

WitchFetish posted:

Did someone say anime Terminator? Because I've been waiting decades to post this :

I love everything about this. The extremely 90 shojo style, the fact it's about T2... Sadly, I haven't been able to find the source.

I sure am convinced that I want to read it!

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Pretty much any manga about the Japanese military will inevitably be so nationalistic that even (normal) Japanese people can't read it without facepalming. See: Zipang

See also: Tom Clancy, most of the genre of 'military science-fiction', etc. etc.

There's a certain audience for these things and they're a bit weird, especially to people not in the country being written about or thinly veiled.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Magi is a happy and fun Arabian Nights-themed shounen manga.

Good times.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

Apparently its based on a "web novel" (whatever that is) written by some ultra-conservative nutjob. When the comic was published, one of the requirements was to remove all the jingo and racism. They didn't quite get it all; there's a couple pages about ~*~evil non-Japan nations~*~, plus note that all of the hostile armies are entirely Indo-European. But they removed enough that it's no more offensive than any other military-themed comic aimed at young men.

It has the feel of trying really hard to be picked up as a television adaptation (no other way to explain the female armor designs), so I'm cautiously optimistic the publisher will keep a tight rein on things.

Ehhh... this month's comic was all about some evil anti military harpy (not the fantasy kind) making a fool out of herself by questioning our brave and perfect JSDF. :japan:

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

Tried this after seeing your post, but holy poo poo that has to be the worst sense of humor i've ever witnessed in any manga.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Just found this one, Detroit Metal City, looks hilarious so far.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Quornes posted:

Just found this one, Detroit Metal City, looks hilarious so far.

Oh, believe me, Detroit Metal City is amazing. There's also an anime and a live-action movie, but the former (while funny) is basically just a "motion comic" version of the manga and the latter is a watered-down romantic comedy. Better stick with the manga!

I've been having a lot of trouble finding a perfect image for Ushio And Tora. Turns out it's pretty hard to sum up a 30-volume manga! I failed, so here's just three action spreads instead.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

On the plus side, though, Matsuyama Ken'ichi (who also did L from Death Note) does a great job as both live action Negishi and Krauser, which is pretty hilarious. Still, the manga is better.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Suben posted:

Sangokushi - Tetsujin 28/Gigantor creator Mitsuteru Yokoyama does a Romance of the Three Kingdoms adaptation.

It also got an anime adaptation, but frankly the problem with this manga/anime is that they're both almost too faithful to the source material -- if you've read the book then at least through Chibi you've basically got nothing different except Xianglan (Kouran) as Liu Bei's sole wife instead of the two wives Lady Gan and Lady Mi, and the characterizations aren't anywhere as nuanced as the 2010 live-action Three Kingdoms series.

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Now's a good time to check out Feng Shen Ji if you haven't already. It's been steadily picking up pace and getting better over the past several chapters, and now it looks like poo poo's about to hit the fan:

That was almost fifteen chapters ago, and having blown through all twenty-nine scanlated thusfar chapters in one sitting, let me second the hell out of this comic... albeit let me admit three things that I didn't like:
#1: I actually kind of wish that Wu Geng had gone with Bai Cai and company, though it only having been six months ameliorates this -- even if that means that Wu Geng has come this far in power in only six months and I see narratively why he instead decided to stay with "Grandpa" and the Fallen ones to learn and grow.
#2: There's something really dodgy about Li Ne Zha being "reformed" by his kidnapping and torture by Wu Geng, it almost comes off like Stockholm Syndrome.
#3: What the hell Zi Dian, attempted rapist... although at least Wu Geng doesn't shy away from calling it anything less -- and he stabs Zi Dian right in the crotch for good measure. Throughout that scene I kept thinking "love versus lust, love versus lust..." The idea that Zi Dian is now reformed after a genital stabbing by Wu Geng is also off-putting, but at least he does appear to be trying to act like he's penitent/contrite.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Chortles posted:

It also got an anime adaptation, but frankly the problem with this manga/anime is that they're both almost too faithful to the source material -- if you've read the book then at least through Chibi you've basically got nothing different except Xianglan (Kouran) as Liu Bei's sole wife instead of the two wives Lady Gan and Lady Mi, and the characterizations aren't anywhere as nuanced as the 2010 live-action Three Kingdoms series.
That was almost fifteen chapters ago, and having blown through all twenty-nine scanlated thusfar chapters in one sitting, let me second the hell out of this comic... albeit let me admit three things that I didn't like:
#1: I actually kind of wish that Wu Geng had gone with Bai Cai and company, though it only having been six months ameliorates this -- even if that means that Wu Geng has come this far in power in only six months and I see narratively why he instead decided to stay with "Grandpa" and the Fallen ones to learn and grow.
#2: There's something really dodgy about Li Ne Zha being "reformed" by his kidnapping and torture by Wu Geng, it almost comes off like Stockholm Syndrome.
#3: What the hell Zi Dian, attempted rapist... although at least Wu Geng doesn't shy away from calling it anything less -- and he stabs Zi Dian right in the crotch for good measure. Throughout that scene I kept thinking "love versus lust, love versus lust..." The idea that Zi Dian is now reformed after a genital stabbing by Wu Geng is also off-putting, but at least he does appear to be trying to act like he's penitent/contrite.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is an adaptation of a traditional story, not entirely the author's own creation. I would have to check my copy of the Fengshen Yanyi to tell you how much of that is faithful, though.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Wow, I had no idea Feng Shen Ji was based on Investiture. The last thing I remember reading about it besides the novel itself was Houshin Engi, and goddamn that couldn't be more different.

isme
Oct 13, 2004
ZombiePugs
Feng Shen Ji (comic) is very very loosely based on the actual literary work, so don't get your hopes up. Translation is slow (chapter 29 so far), but this comics already in the third arc and has 117 chapters so far.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

isme posted:

Feng Shen Ji (comic) is very very loosely based on the actual literary work, so don't get your hopes up. Translation is slow (chapter 29 so far), but this comics already in the third arc and has 117 chapters so far.
Oh this is a huge relief. Feng Shen Ji has quickly become one of my favorites and I'm always worried about cancellations. I can't wait until a bunch more have been translated!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mobile suit Gundam-san

Same guy that did Legend of Koizumi, etc. Sometimes the jokes fall flat but when they're on they're funny.

That Works fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 5, 2013

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Breaky posted:

Mobile suit Gundam-san

As far as I'm concerned Garma of Space Island is totally canon. :colbert:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
AKB49 - Renai Kinshi Jourei
From the description this should be one of the worst manga ever written....
But it turns out this is the best sports career manga I have ever read.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

tonberrytoby posted:

AKB49 - Renai Kinshi Jourei
From the description this should be one of the worst manga ever written....
But it turns out this is the best sports career manga I have ever read.

In my opinion, a better summation (though it's two pages):

AKB49 is pretty good!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Einander posted:

In my opinion, a better summation (though it's two pages):

AKB49 is pretty good!

It's pretty good, but I feel like it's the most pandering thing I've ever read - just, I'm not really the target audience for the pandering.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Prison School. I actually can't recommend this due to the extreme amount of ridiculously unecessary fanservice, but it has an engaging plot and I simply can't stop reading it. It's a story about high school bros and manly tears. Amazingly, it's written by the same dude who wrote the Crossroads manga.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

nerdz posted:

Prison School. I actually can't recommend this due to the extreme amount of ridiculously unecessary fanservice, but it has an engaging plot and I simply can't stop reading it. It's a story about high school bros and manly tears. Amazingly, it's written by the same dude who wrote the Crossroads manga.

The art is also pretty great. But as you said, the fanservice is really off-putting.

• Locked thread