Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

grover posted:

It's doubtful the "full-scale" aircraft is even capable of flight. Most people are speculating what's seen flying is an R/C model. Even to my untrained eye, there are obvious omissions, like no HUD or HMD (and thus incapable of combat) and there's no way that exhaust design would work without the fiberglass burning. No room for radar in the nose. No pitot tubes, no antennas, etc. And the design is not only unconventional, it's nonsensical. I'm surprised the R/C model was capable of flight, really.

Lots of things work at scale that wouldn't work full size. Just look at the flying lawnmower on YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

grover posted:

It's doubtful the "full-scale" aircraft is even capable of flight. Most people are speculating what's seen flying is an R/C model. Even to my untrained eye, there are obvious omissions, like no HUD or HMD (and thus incapable of combat) and there's no way that exhaust design would work without the fiberglass burning. No room for radar in the nose. No pitot tubes, no antennas, etc. And the design is not only unconventional, it's nonsensical. I'm surprised the R/C model was capable of flight, really.

How does lack of a HUD or HMD make it incapable of combat?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

vulturesrow posted:

How does lack of a HUD or HMD make it incapable of combat?
Sorry, was assuming modern aircraft, but it doesn't even have an old-school iron sight. Also, appears to lack guns or missile hardpoints. And doesn't have radar. Or even non-distortive glass. There are things that are absolutely necessary for combat. Though, I guess they could pack it full of explosides and kamikaze ram a ship or something, but that's not really what they seem to be going for.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Distortion through the cockpit glass? Heh, let me tell you all something about beyond visual range combat. :smug:

Don't ask me about landing.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

iyaayas01 posted:

Basically this is what should've been playing when they unveiled the aircraft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B0CyOAO8y0

For some reason I always hear this in my mind when I look at that "Iranian Fighter"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5inpbUWwczw

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
Maybe they've developed the HUD in the helmet thing (without lag) and internal payload before the F-35 :D

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Micr0chiP posted:

Maybe they've developed the HUD in the helmet thing (without lag) and internal payload before the F-35 :D
I bet Iran paints crosshairs on helmet with green-glowing radium paint and calls it helmet mounted display for PR purposes.

e: Here's the helmet from the press-release photos.

grover fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 4, 2013

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

There are a few more pictures here:
http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2013/02/irans-new-qaher-313-stealth-fi.html

I can't rehost them at the moment.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

AzureSkys posted:

There are a few more pictures here:
http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2013/02/irans-new-qaher-313-stealth-fi.html

I can't rehost them at the moment.

The video at the bottom of that link is hilarious. When the pilot sits in it, the damned thing wobbles around like when I hoist my fat rear end into a 150. This is obviously 100% for Iranian domestic consumption, "LOOK AT HOW THE GLORIOUS ISLAMIC REVOLUTION EMBRACES TECHNOLOGY," and poo poo, because nobody else who's spent even a few minutes around aircraft is going to believe that poo poo.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

STATE OF THE ART TECHNOLOGY

for a home made canoe

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

And now Gizmodo is laughing at it.

http://gizmodo.com/5981525/why-irans-new-indigenous-stealth-fighter-will-never-get-off-the-ground

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Aeronautical Insanity: Laughing at Iranian Aviation since 1979

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Kilonum posted:

And now Gizmodo is laughing at it.

http://gizmodo.com/5981525/why-irans-new-indigenous-stealth-fighter-will-never-get-off-the-ground

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Aeronautical Insanity: Laughing at Iranian Aviation since 1979

Gizmodo writers can barely speak to anything above a third grade level. Jesus Diaz needs to get his eyes stabbed out. Sam Biddle isn't any better.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MrYenko posted:

The video at the bottom of that link is hilarious. When the pilot sits in it, the damned thing wobbles around like when I hoist my fat rear end into a 150. This is obviously 100% for Iranian domestic consumption, "LOOK AT HOW THE GLORIOUS ISLAMIC REVOLUTION EMBRACES TECHNOLOGY," and poo poo, because nobody else who's spent even a few minutes around aircraft is going to believe that poo poo.

either that or it's a bit of disinformation propaganda.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
It's all a clever disinformation ploy- leak details from an obviously fake project to hide the REAL stealth fighter development in plain sight. It's brilliant- if any details of the real stealth fighter leak out, they'll be dismissed out of hand.

Yeah, that's it, I'm sure of it. Iran's got a long and glorious track record of highly successful indigenous weapons projects.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

grover posted:

It's all a clever disinformation ploy- leak details from an obviously fake project to hide the REAL stealth fighter development in plain sight. It's brilliant- if any details of the real stealth fighter leak out, they'll be dismissed out of hand.

Yeah, that's it, I'm sure of it. Iran's got a long and glorious track record of highly successful indigenous weapons projects.

Well, they did manage to kludge Hawk SAMs into service as AA missiles on their Tomcats.

Or at least hang them there for the cameras.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

grover posted:

Of course they-

...don't.

Duckboat
May 15, 2012

MrYenko posted:

Of course they-

...don't.

"Our missiles will blot out the sun!because they've been photoshop-pasted over it"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

grover posted:

Yeah, we did that with the F-117 and the B-2, it worked pretty well. Not that I think Iran is following suit, but it's a legit good idea.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Godholio posted:

Yeah, we did that with the F-117 and the B-2, it worked pretty well. Not that I think Iran is following suit, but it's a legit good idea.

Do you have any links to examples/stories for these. Sounds pretty interesting.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Plinkey posted:

IYAAYAS does. CONSTANT PEG (the MiG program in Nevada) was used to cover for the F-117, and I remember the F-117 was used to cover for the B-2.

Edit: Christ I'm a moron.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 5, 2013

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Plinkey posted:

Either you're under 21, or old and hip enough to not remember the '80s. Here's the stealth fighter of my youth:

It was rather jarring when the real thing was publicly acknowledged.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Plinkey posted:

Like Godholio said, read up on CONSTANT PEG (you should do this anyway because it is an amazing story and Steve Davies's book on the subject is quite readable). The cliff notes version is that it was basically a cover story within a cover story...the Red Eagles were flying MiGs from Tonopah, but from the start of the Red Eagle program there were people high up in the USAF's SAP/black world at the Pentagon that were planning on using it as cover for the F-117. So since CONSTANT PEG started off as a black program, there were cover stories established as to why there were dudes going up there to fly...most of them involved flying random aircraft up to Tonopah for random things to establish that there was a benign USAF presence there (it started life as a DOE airfield supporting nuclear testing), but nothing to hint at what the true purpose of the increased presence was. By the mid '80s CONSTANT PEG was more of a grey world open secret (even the Soviets knew we had MiGs up there by then, although they didn't know what we were doing with them, which was the real secret), but this was right around the same time that the F-117 program was ramping up, also at Tonopah...so CONSTANT PEG made a very convenient unofficial "cover" story for why the airfield was being expanded and built up, as well as for the increased activity there, especially since it was still ostensibly classified but such an open secret that almost everyone in a position to be asking detailed questions about Tonopah (i.e., folks in uniform) knew about the MiGs. "Oh, you're wondering what's going on up there? Well, I can't tell you, but...you know...it's Tonopah...*wink*"

There was also the "F-19" bit with the F-117, as well as the "Aurora" program name being tied to the B-2.

e: Just to add to the F-19 thing, it wasn't just models and children's toys that were taken in by that, publications like Aviation Week and the like were saying that was what the new stealth aircraft looked like.

ickna
May 19, 2004

I built a model of this one as a kid, and it was the best. I was a bit disappointed when they unveiled the F-117 and it looked like a flying pyramid.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

ickna posted:

I built a model of this one as a kid, and it was the best. I was a bit disappointed when they unveiled the F-117 and it looked like a flying pyramid.

I have the GI Joe version of this, but it's in absolutely terrible shape rotting outside in my parents' back yard.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I got to participate in an exercise a while back at Tonopah Test Range and we stayed at the place where everyone was housed during the F-117 development. Wikipedia has a good article on TTR; Mancamp is the place where we stayed. The road between the airfield proper and Mancamp is no kidding open, high desert range. It was pretty funny when we got a brief from the security guys and they told us "You really want to stick to the posted speed limits because there is a good chance you'll hit a wild horse if you don't." Staying there was pretty cool and tad bit spooky for some reason.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I like how it's flying into the sun

In retrospect the 'fighter' bit was kind of misleading. Though I've read the F-19 design has a small radar cross section.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Delivery McGee posted:

Either you're under 21, or old and hip enough to not remember the '80s. Here's the stealth fighter of my youth:

It was rather jarring when the real thing was publicly acknowledged.

I played the F-19 Stealth Fighter slight sim a thousand times. Loved the hell out of it. This is still a beautiful "aircraft" to me. :allears:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

grover posted:

More likely a photo op on the film set of "Top Gun: Iran" distributed out of context by Mossad or just some keen anti-iranian hobbyist. It's not like they don't know what a western stealth fighter looks like, they have Internet.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Raikyn posted:

I did a couple of wallpapers for someone

With all the spergin' about stealth this is not getting enough love. Glorious new desktop found... thank you!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I hope someone makes an Iranian "Stealth Fighter" kit plane. It'd be like flying building and flying something from GI Joe.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Linedance posted:

More likely a photo op on the film set of "Top Gun: Iran" distributed out of context by Mossad or just some keen anti-iranian hobbyist. It's not like they don't know what a western stealth fighter looks like, they have Internet.

Problem being, one of the requirements for this fighter program was that it be able to fit on the largest turntable the country currently produces.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A student posted:

I hope someone makes an Iranian "Stealth Fighter" kit plane. It'd be like flying building and flying something from GI Joe.

It should get stocked along with the anime and Warhammer kits.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Godholio posted:

Yeah, we did that with the F-117 and the B-2, it worked pretty well.

There's also an interesting story about the cover program used to train early F-117 pilots and test some of the security measures in place for the Nighthawk.

Since the F-117 hadn't entered production yet, the USAF took some of the A-7's they were using, painted them black, and then added drop tanks equipped with a flashing light and all kinds of ominous warnings/labels like "reactor coolant filling port". A story was allowed to leak about the drop tanks being some kind of super-secret radar jamming technology, and armed guards often accompanied the A-7's when they flew away from home, going so far as to force ground crews look the other direction when the aircraft were taxiing past.

Once the F-117 entered service, the A-7's were used for a pilot training until the Nighthawk was declassified, at which point T-38's took over the training duties.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Tremblay posted:

Sam Biddle isn't any better.

I read this post, thought "that name sounds familiar" and then remembered that he is the author of this turd of an article.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
Good news everyone!

I landed a job building these bastards:

FullMetalJacket fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 5, 2013

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

FullMetalJacket posted:

Good news everyone!

When working on the line, I think it'd be a funny joke to take a coke can and seal it between layers, so that the plane has an annoying rattle its entire life. On the off chance that somebody actually fishes it out, put a note inside that reads "rattles, don't it?"

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

FullMetalJacket posted:

Good news everyone!

Congratulations.

Now what kind of discount do you get? :v:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
I can't wait until FAA revises rules on UAVs so I can start getting food delivered by quadcopter.
http://www.gizmag.com/burrito-bomber-uav/25468/

Burrito bomber is a good start, though.

MrYenko posted:

Of course they-

...don't.
FYI, there's an Iran/North Korea thread in GiP for anyone who wants to yack about the "stealth fighter" or other shenanigans without derailing this thread.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

Colonial Air Force posted:

Congratulations.

Now what kind of discount do you get? :v:

I think bucking rivets will be as close as I get to flying in one for a long while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

FullMetalJacket posted:

I think bucking rivets will be as close as I get to flying in one for a long while.

Are those built at Mirabel? (or am I atrocious at IDing bizjets?)