Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
That anecdote about the woman who has written her own 1000+ character soap opera for the past 27 years scared the living poo poo out of me. Where do they find these people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

jscolon2.0 posted:

Other than Best New Artist, Grammy Awards are awarded for Songs, Albums, and Performances and not Artists.

Ah, finally worded in a way I can understand, which is apparently something the Jeopardy crew were incapable of doing.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

Jeff Wiiver posted:

That anecdote about the woman who has written her own 1000+ character soap opera for the past 27 years scared the living poo poo out of me. Where do they find these people?

Not only that, it was apparently all people she knew or had met in real life. It'd creep me out too if someone I knew was doing that. I almost wanted her to beat Joshua and his greasy rear end mop hair so I could hear more about it.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

funktopus posted:

Not only that, it was apparently all people she knew or had met in real life. It'd creep me out too if someone I knew was doing that. I almost wanted her to beat Joshua and his greasy rear end mop hair so I could hear more about it.

Imagine if someone you knew catalogued every conversation you ever had for her creepy Soap Opera.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Seriously, kind of a nutbag.

I really hope Joshua loses. What a cheesedick. "It's only appropriate to start with 'The Race is On,' Alex".
Give me a break, and wash your hair, son.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Oh god damnit Allison it was such an easy question.

Now we all get to come back to King Brownnose after skipping the Teen Tournament.
Ugh his face is fat and his hair looks like oiled whole wheat noodles.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
He always looks like he just got out of the shower. At least he stopped wearing a sweater over a shirt and tie though.

Also, that Jeopardy was pretty easy, although I didn't get Final. I got the first 15 questions before the commercial break correct. Also, I always like when there's a Kurosawa question. :allears:

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
Although I can't spoil anything, one of that dude's next two opponents is my girlfriend. Thanks to the tournaments, that won't be until the last week of February though.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
When was her episode taped? I'm just curious as to how far the gap between filming and airing is. Did she get called up because of last year's test?

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

escape artist posted:

When was her episode taped? I'm just curious as to how far the gap between filming and airing is. Did she get called up because of last year's test?

It was taped in late October, she was the third episode taped on Wednesday (they do five on Tuesday and five on Wednesday or something like that), and the previous ones that week were set to air before the Teen Tournament and the TOC, adding another month or so.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Wow, 5 in a day is a lot... especially if you are a 5 day champion. No wonder dude had the same wet noodle hair in each episode.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I knew they taped multiple episodes in a day, but for some reason I've never thought to look at their clothes. Do they bring multiple outfits or just switch ties or do they straight up wear the same clothes?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I knew they taped multiple episodes in a day, but for some reason I've never thought to look at their clothes. Do they bring multiple outfits or just switch ties or do they straight up wear the same clothes?

I remember one lady who was like a 4 day champion had a new outfit every day. Because one day she was dressed like my grandmother and the next day she was dressed like a cougar and the next day she was dressed plainly.

Josh has been wearing that same drat shirt and tie, though. Or they look very similar.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

They tell people to bring 3+ outfits, meaning if I ever get on the show I'll have to buy at least two sets of clothing that don't make me look like an rear end in a top hat.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I fully intend to look like an rear end in a top hat if I ever get on the show.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Just bring four precisely identical sets of clothing.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Punch Card posted:

They tell people to bring 3+ outfits, meaning if I ever get on the show I'll have to buy at least two sets of clothing that don't make me look like an rear end in a top hat.

I remember seeing a guy a couple years ago that was in just a t-shirt. My guess is he won more times than he expected to, and for some reason couldn't wear whatever he wore earlier, and dug that out of his suitcase, or something.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I wonder if they would object to me wearing a t-shirt like this on there:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Big logos of any kind like that is usually where they draw the line. If you want to be obnoxious, try getting a shirt from Loudmouth Golf. They specialize in stuff like

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

escape artist posted:

I wonder if they would object to me wearing a t-shirt like this on there:

I don't know what that is a logo for, but in my head I read it as,
"dot, dot, dot, DASH"

And it automatically fit itself to the melody of Beethoven's fifth symphony... Please tell me that's the goal of the shirt and I'm not just going mad.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
You're going mad. It's the logo for Hieroglyphics, a hip hop group.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
This is why we need SA shirts to make a comeback.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
When I was on they vetoed 2 out of the 3 ties that I brought because they were too busy for the cameras (even though one was solid pink?) so I asked what would happen if I won and they told me that I'd have to borrow stuff from the other contestants.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I've seen contestants wearing like 50s style floral print t-shirts that made my TV want to kill itself and they vetoed one of your solid coloured ties? Wow.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Man, I didn't adjust my DVR so it's picking up the Teen Tournament, and I watched one of the episodes just for the hell of it (there were like 5 questions I legitimately didn't know that I should have, and 5 that were about kid poo poo that I would have no reason knowing). But I have to say, watching the teenagers on there is tough. They are so awkward, as teens are wont to be, but what really makes it tough is that they don't quite understand the strategy of not guessing on questions, and it killed this one girl's chances, who was in the lead at one point. And the have no poker face-- you can see the nervousness when they're interviewed, the excitement when they string together some correct answers, and the utter devastation when they get an answer wrong.

Time to take it off my DVR for 2 weeks, and then we get the Tournament of Champions, which is always fun (and humbling) to watch. Then noodle-hair will take on Punch Card's lady. Hopefully she destroys that dorky dude.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
Today was the first time in my entire life that I got EVERY, SINGLE, Jeopardy! question right. Thanks, idiot teens!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I miss real Celebrity Jeopardy. The questions were about as easy as the Teen Tournament, but without things that mostly kids would know, but you're allowed to feel smart when you get them right because it's still "for adults."

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
I miss Celebrity Jeopardy, too. The only sketch I love every time I see it. I have no idea why they didn't have one for Ferrell's hosting appearance last year.

Oh, you were talking about the real--never mind me then...

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The best thing about Jeopardy teen tournament is the cringe worthy ads for the teens online test.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
The best part about the Teen Tournament is when the clues about youth culture are just sliiightly out of date, at that point where the teens were too young to really care about the subject and probably haven't encountered it as pop culture history or nostalgia.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Just saw a girl with 18k or so against a guy with 10k, bet 800 on final jeopardy and get it right. Needless to say she lost. I laughed for at least a minute, what could possibly cause you to not bet their total plus 1 dollar at the minimum, especially on the "Mt. Rushmore". For a smart girl with a hefty lead that's a pretty rookie mistake, maybe she doesn't watch Jeopardy! or something.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Just saw a girl with 18k or so against a guy with 10k, bet 800 on final jeopardy and get it right. Needless to say she lost. I laughed for at least a minute, what could possibly cause you to not bet their total plus 1 dollar at the minimum, especially on the "Mt. Rushmore". For a smart girl with a hefty lead that's a pretty rookie mistake, maybe she doesn't watch Jeopardy! or something.

I saw that happen the other night, too. Two players had basically the same score, we'll say 10,000 and one bet 3000, and one bet 5000 (approximately). Both got the answer right, but the one who wagered more won.

I think it's because they're also playing for "wildcard" spots. They can still get in the semi-finals even if they lose a match, if they have a high enough score.

But I took Jeopardy off my DVR for now, because it's embarrassing to watch those kids make fools of themselves.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

I still watch then to experience bij, and for the short moments of superiority I get before I realize they are in highschool(still no excuse for some questions, these are jeopardy contestants not "man on the street" interviews).

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
In the last kids tournament on a daily double in the double jeopardy round a kid had like $10,000 and Alex asked him what he wanted to bet and he answered $10.

Alex asked him if he was sure, the kid said yes. Then got the question right. I mean he was like 8 years old or something but I still laughed my rear end off.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Coldwar timewarp posted:

I still watch then to experience bij, and for the short moments of superiority I get before I realize they are in highschool(still no excuse for some questions, these are jeopardy contestants not "man on the street" interviews).

Please confine the word Bij to the Star Trek thread. Thanks in advance.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

jscolon2.0 posted:

Please confine the word Bij to the Star Trek thread. Thanks in advance.

yeah, I spent a few minutes on search engines trying to figure out what the hell that word meant, before realizing I don't care

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

escape artist posted:

yeah, I spent a few minutes on search engines trying to figure out what the hell that word meant, before realizing I don't care

I thought he auto corrected "beej" :argh:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

The girl who bid 800 and lost last night was infuriating. Aside from just being named Tori Amos, which is ridiculous, she was the one type of contestant I hate watching: she NEVER started from the beginning of a category. So she'd always start halfway through and it's like "no THEY WRITE THEM THIS WAY WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Little Mac posted:

The girl who bid 800 and lost last night was infuriating. Aside from just being named Tori Amos, which is ridiculous, she was the one type of contestant I hate watching: she NEVER started from the beginning of a category. So she'd always start halfway through and it's like "no THEY WRITE THEM THIS WAY WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?"

She's taking noted from Watson's playbook?

And seriously, her name was Tori Amos? I want to meet her parents and shoot them in the loving head.

God drat it, Generation Xers are now parents to teenagers. The world wasn't ready for this.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

DrBouvenstein posted:

And seriously, her name was Tori Amos? I want to meet her parents and shoot them in the loving head.

At least when all the Edwards and Bellas and whoever grow up they have some plausible deniability. But the last name too? Ugh