Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Pile of Kittens posted:

If the bad tattoo thread has taught me anything, it's that tattoos of birds end up looking pretty dumb.

There's a good tattoo thread too, in YLLS. :ssh:

mouth blood posted:

Tom Ruki on Tenacious Tattoo (Sheffield). He does amazing work and loves doing videogame, comic and nerdcore stuff.
He did part of my forearm :)

bee posted:

I got this sweet little wagtail to cover up the bad logic from 17 year old me that had been uglying up my ankle for the last couple of years:

By Ali Manners of Black Throne Tattoo, Brisbane.

ChaosDawn posted:

A few weeks ago I went to the largest Tattoo Convention in the country (NZ and the only one I think).
I had no concrete plans of getting anything but I walked away with this little guy.

By Horiei Shinshu @ 7th Heaven Artwork
Matsumoto City, Japan

bee posted:

All finished! This was done by Ali Manners, of Black Throne Tattoo in Brisbane Australia.

Big Zero posted:

Here's what happened last Thursday - it's all starting to come together now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Iro has been pretty quiet the last two days. She is still quacking and moving around and and wants to be held, but she's just not causing as much of a constant fuss when I leave the room to go to the bathroom, or being a bundle of nervous energy whining to get out of the cage. She still wants to come out but just isn't being a brat about it.

I'm worried. :ohdear:

She's eating and drinking as normal, but that's not enough for me to be satisfied that she's not faking.
She's not sneezing. Does seem a little more sleepy than usual.

Ugh Christ. My work computer broke this month and set me back about £600. Now isn't a good time to get ill, bird!
But if she is, I'll take care of her.

Edit: I let her out and she made a beeline for my book on learning Zbrush that I ordered, so that's... Good, I guess. Ever since I've ordered that book she's been gunning for it, trying to chew it.

But, when I put her on her open top perch, she's just kind of sitting there. Normally she just climbs down right away and tries to get back on me. I don't know. She's not fluffed up or anything. Ugh.

uglynoodles fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 1, 2013

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

If everything else is fine, maybe she's finally just chilling out a bit?

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

There's a good tattoo thread too, in YLLS. :ssh:

That last one is amazing! Wow.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Yeah she could be just chilling out, after the first few days if I put Sunny on the window grills (with the windows closed of course), he just looks out and makes little quacking noises instead of head bobbing at me and screaming. Relax, she sounds fine. :3:

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Yeah she could be just chilling out, after the first few days if I put Sunny on the window grills (with the windows closed of course), he just looks out and makes little quacking noises instead of head bobbing at me and screaming. Relax, she sounds fine. :3:

EXCUSE MY HYPERVENTILATING OVER HERE

Haha, I guess Ridley's death has made me really paranoid.

I'm doodling some Iros for you all. :) I also may try to model her in Maya or Zbrush.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah it really does sound like Iro is just not freaking out about you leaving anymore because s/he knows you always come back.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

It's been a few days since I could sit with my birds at the computer and not become a whimpering pile of pain. Zeke's taking his toys out of his basket near the monitor and bringing them over to me, like he's parading all the things I have denied him since Tuesday. I'M SORRY, OKAY? :saddowns:

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
Zippy flew to me and landed on my arm for the first time tonight! I'm so proud of her! For a bird that seems like she was either never fledged or fledged and has had clipped wings her whole decade-long life she's making great progress. 3 months ago she couldn't fly and was a 100% perch potato, and now we're doing recall training from across the room :3:

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Official Bizness posted:

It's been a few days since I could sit with my birds at the computer and not become a whimpering pile of pain. Zeke's taking his toys out of his basket near the monitor and bringing them over to me, like he's parading all the things I have denied him since Tuesday. I'M SORRY, OKAY? :saddowns:

Maybe Zeke knows you feel off, and is bringing you the things that make him feel happy to try and make you happy too. :3:

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Leeloo refuses to bathe in the sink or even in a large shallow pan. Only tiny custard dish will do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqrKzgoLyM0

Also, this is what two of her morning poops look like.

I don't understand how she even exists after that.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Leeloo refuses to bathe in the sink or even in a large shallow pan. Only tiny custard dish will do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqrKzgoLyM0

Also, this is what two of her morning poops look like.

I don't understand how she even exists after that.

Holy bajesus, that is a lumpy rear end morning poop. Ritz's are huge, but never that solid haha. More like a giant seagull poo poo you'd find on your car.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Sorry for the delay in pictures, it took me a little bit of time before I could look through his photos again. I just gave away his cage today to a young lady wanting a bird of her own, so hopefully it will continue on.

FRED:

Fred was awesome. We didn't live together the whole 23 years since I got him. He stayed at my parents' house while I was in college, though I saw him nearly every weekend. I lived in England for 2 years recently when I moved to the UK to take care of my mum, and he stayed with my girlfriend at time, who I'd been living with. The most recent time, I'd spent most of last year essentially homeless, having to up and move every couple of months, and getting stressed out over the living situation. My ex had moved back to the bay area and wanted to sit him for a little while, but when I later asked to get him, she wouldn't let me see him and moved him to some friend's house and said I wouldn't get him back unless I gave her some money. Yeah, it was bad. I would have been crushed if he had passed while she had him. She eventually agreed to give him back, I think she just didn't have the stomach for it, and I got him back on July 2nd.

This cage door was his favourite place to hang out. I normally left it open for him and put some paper towels on the floor underneath him and he would kick it out there to get the best view he could. He lost the flight feathers from his left wing while I was in college, so he hadn't been able to fly in about 10 years.

By the last few months this was normally how he would spend his days. I'd uncover him, he'd climb down and eat some seeds, then climb onto the cabinet and walk around, then nod off. Even when he was too tired to climb on top of the cage, he still wanted to explore.

This picture is from 2001. He was 11 then. I used to take him outside all the time, and he never flew off. He didn't seem to care very much for flying in general. I wouldn't recommend to other people to take their birds out unless their wings are clipped at least, but Fred just wanted to kick it.

Last year was pretty difficult, but I was pretty happy I was able to land a really nice room with a huge beautiful southern-facing window late last year, and gave Fred one of the best views he's ever gotten. He'd stuck with me through some tough times, and I think he figured I was on sure-enough footing that he could let go. I always called him my little dude. Goodbye, Fred. I miss you buddy.

EDIT: And I just got evicted again. This will be the 6th move in a year.

bassguitarhero fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 3, 2013

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

My grandfathers name was Fred, and he was just as awesome as Fred J. Tiel. :unsmith: you're a good bird-dad.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxDvxW8ZKJM

This woman is insane. I've listened to her on the show and didn't realize she had a Grey. She needs to have those pets taken away. I feel bad for the bird. :(

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I love Fred's old man cockatiel look. Did his back toes always point forward like in the first two photos?

There have been a few nice photos on Imgur's front page lately, like so-

Amazing shot:

Pigeon version:

Great bird tattoo, as we were mentioning them before:

There was also an album with watercolour tattoos, that included one of a kingfisher in that style, but I can't find it right now.

And here's a small album of four photos of a baby macaw: http://imgur.com/gallery/a3vXJ The last photo being this:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I am pretty sure that Scout doesn't really understand that she can fly. She does it when she gets startled but has yet to start really flying just because she wants to. She'll sit and wark at us to go get her and move her somewhere (usually to us) instead of just flying to us.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Sorry, I know it's a macro, but it's so goddamn bird and it's not like we get infestations of macros here in PI, right guys?

Oh, check out this neat article with a bunch of bird anatomy illustrations! http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2013/02/04/the-unfeathered-bird/

Pile of Kittens fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 5, 2013

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

I've been trying to get the (broken petstore) budgies to eat pellets for awhile now and I finally figured it out! The conure eats her pellets on the landing pad on her cage which has newspaper underneath to catch pellet dust and droppings. She eats on one side, poops on the other. Anyway, I put the budgies on the pellet dust paper and they actually ate them! I haven't been able to get them to touch anything but seed, not even fresh fruit/veg, so this is a huge deal to me! I'm birdcycling and it's awesome, the budgies won't die of fatty fat fat disease.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

You can even grind the pellets up yourself to prevent communicable diseases! And mix them with that nectar of the gods... APPLE JUICE.

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

Yeah that's probably a better idea, they aren't on the same paper as the poop but better safe than sorry. Even if they are little bastards, I kinda like having the budgies around. They won't let us scritch them but they will step up fine and it's fun to watch them climb all over their cage. We were a bit over zealous clipping the wings on one of them so he pretty much drops like a rock but compensates by being a badass climber, his name is Colonel Mustard and he can climb the drawstring on my hoodie like it's gym class.

I guess I'll need to get a new mortar and pestle, I can't be lazy and let Lola do all the work for me.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
Just go to your local thrift shop and grab an old coffee grinder. I have a bunch at home from Goodwill- one for coffee, one for spices, one for spicy spices, and one for bird pellets. It'll only cost about $5.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

..I use an old practice throwing knife and a ziplock bag to crush up pellets for Marshal Lee since he is just like HURRR HOW DO YOU EAT BIG PELLETS I'LL JUST TONGUE IT THEN DROP IT ON THE FLOOR.

Also he's really strange in that he spends a lot of time on the bottom of his cage. Not like in a sick way, but he just likes to run around on the bottom. Maybe because his cage at the pet store didn't have any perches? Normally I would be concerned but the little poo poo has way too much energy to be sick in any way shape or form haha.

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

I tried breaking up some pellets in a ziplock with a screwdriver handle but the pellet shards tore through the bag and made a huge mess. It wasn't even very effective and the budgies were like "gently caress that". Big Mama Lola does it just right it seems. I'll hit up the salvation army for a cheapo coffee grinder tomorrow.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Cage assembly in progress. Dear god, the instructions or lack there of. :stare:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Steve is hulking out right now because I dared put him back in his cage so he'd eat for the first time today. There's a plastic toy hanging near his cage door, and he's grabbing it and biting it and loudly bashing it around with his wings out in righteous fury.

Ohtori is just staring at him, eating a pellet in his foot like popcorn.

H110Hawk posted:

Cage assembly in progress. Dear god, the instructions or lack there of. :stare:

I remember cage day... how's it going?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Battle Pigeon posted:

Steve is hulking out right now because I dared put him back in his cage so he'd eat for the first time today. There's a plastic toy hanging near his cage door, and he's grabbing it and biting it and loudly bashing it around with his wings out in righteous fury.

That sounds hilarious; Hulkatiel RAAAAAGE:D

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Battle Pigeon posted:

Ohtori is just staring at him, eating a pellet in his foot like popcorn.

:suspense: I wanna see!!!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Pookah posted:

That sounds hilarious; Hulkatiel RAAAAAGE:D

I thought I had a video of it, but can only find a 22 second clip of him doing the same thing to the other toy on the other side of the door. I'll have to try and catch him doing it on camera sometime, it's like he's channeling Ohtori he's so mad.

E: Put him back in to see if he'll do it again. He was suspicious as soon as I reached for him.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Apologies in advance for lovely mspaint job but I couldn't resist...

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Pookah posted:

Apologies in advance for lovely mspaint job but I couldn't resist...

I was inspired to doodle this. Not even apologising.

(I do however feel compelled to point out this not representative of my usual standard...)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Battle Pigeon posted:

It is... together for lack of a better term. It's two cages put together, and lets just say we're going to be doing some liberal zip-tying to get them to be closer to flush. The finest in qualitychinese craftsmanship. It's currently outside drying off from its hose-down.

http://www.plumstruck.com/Altoona-Double-Flight-Cage-Color/dp/B005VESTV2

Exactly as written:
"3. Assembly Front , Back(with tube), Left, wire and Middle fram for diuider together with screws to form a Body;"

Also I fit inside. :derptiel:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Fart Puzzle posted:

I've been trying to get the (broken petstore) budgies to eat pellets for awhile now and I finally figured it out! The conure eats her pellets on the landing pad on her cage which has newspaper underneath to catch pellet dust and droppings. She eats on one side, poops on the other. Anyway, I put the budgies on the pellet dust paper and they actually ate them! I haven't been able to get them to touch anything but seed, not even fresh fruit/veg, so this is a huge deal to me! I'm birdcycling and it's awesome, the budgies won't die of fatty fat fat disease.
I wonder if it was because the other bird was eating them that pushed them over the edge. In their minds, that probably says "It's not poison!" :derptiel:

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 6, 2013

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Battle Pigeon posted:

I was inspired to doodle this. Not even apologising.

(I do however feel compelled to point out this not representative of my usual standard...)

Awe-inspiring stuff. Truly the mighty Hulkatiel bestrides the, um, countertop probably? Like a colossus.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Pookah posted:

Awe-inspiring stuff. Truly the mighty Hulkatiel bestrides the, um, countertop probably? Like a colossus.

My partner said it looked like the offspring of Steve and Ohtori. :v:

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
Welp so far 2 major changes in hopes to influence behavior in Luke and Lolita (male and female Eclectus) have been moderately successful.

The first is a day-night cycle reset for Lolita so she stops trying to nest all the time, but my wife thinks it's too dark for her, we keep her 50% covered with the blinds closed at all times and fully covered for 12 hours+. It's moderately successful, she's still plucking for a nest (only body feathers and no down), but otherwise seems less hormonal. My wife likes giving her boxes to chew up but I think the bigger ones let her think she's making a nest. I advocate cutting the boxes diagonally in half so no nest can be made but chewing can still occur.

The second is male-female separation. Luke was developing a bad plucking habit on his back and legs (developing a small patch on his stomach). We believe(d) that it was from his proximity to a hormonal female yet non reciprocative of his affections. He does seem to be recovering though as there is regrowth under his wings, legs, and upper back.

He also LOVES watching bird videos on youtube.

Bunch of slack-jawed ferrets around here. This stuff will make you a god damned sexual Tyrannosaurus, just like me.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

It's not the toy I was talking about, so it somewhat misses something without the loud bashing noises and such, but caught Steve attacking one of his other toys today in mild fury at being shut in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJbbIYDtRfc

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
That's standard conure behavior right there.

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

So has anyone here ever ordered from the website Parrot Safari.? Because if you have, and you had a GOOD experience, I'd love to hear it because I am steamed! I ordered a whole bunch of stuff from there, and even though shipping was ridiculous at $14, I'd spend just that much in gas to drive to our closest bird toy shop, which is 45 minutes away. I spent a lot of money in one shot so I could stock up on toys since shipping is expensive, as is driving to the store. Never again will I order from there. I got my order on the 30th and out of the fourteen plus things I bought, only four arrived in the box... and one of them was the wrong perch. There wasn't even an invoice, and the box was just one that something else had been delivered to them in. I have sent them three emails and a Facebook message with no response and their "contact us" number isn't even a working one. I am so glad I paid through Paypal because I just opened a dispute, hopefully they will respond. I have bought their toys from our local bird shop before, so I figured they were a legitimate business. *End rant*

Edit: Just checked the mail to find one of the missing things. No note of when the rest will come, just a box wit one toy inside.

Opera Bitch fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 6, 2013

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Wozbo posted:

That's standard conure behavior right there.

My conure is a sweet little angel and would never treat his toys, or his humans, in such a manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Amadeus surveys the mess in my sink after a hard day's work of riding around on my shoulder while I bake.

I know I've mentioned this before, but he's the best kitchen buddy ever. I sing songs to him while my iPod blares and he dances on my shoulder and looks as ridiculous as I sound, and when I can't remember what's in a recipe I ask him what comes next and he says PEEEEP and I say no I already added the flour and he bobbles his head and I say bird you're terrible at this and he looks pleased with himself and I give him kisses. :3: