Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Flame112 posted:

Yeah, there's a bookmark button in the menu during battles.

That doesn't seem that high, my Lissa is at 12 magic at level 11.

My Lissa hasn't gained any magic, but has gained like 9 Strength at level 12. I really wish she'd gain some magic but I guess I have to use her to axe things. All her gains are Strength, Skill and Luck it seems.

And on the subject of weird growths, I selected Luck as my detriment for my Avatar but he has gained it almost every level. I just wish he'd gain some drat HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.

cheetah7071 posted:

Use the rescue staff to move her back to the wall. Then set up a formation like this:

X_O_X
_X_X_
__X__

O = character you're protecting, X = your units

Then you only need 5 units/ pairs capable of surviving the enemies. If you put someone with Rally Spectrum in the middle row, they'll be able to hit everyone but one other person, too.

Thanks, I'll try this. Didn't think I could use rescue on green units.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It seems like most of my characters are running more or less according to the average, aside from SUMIA, MOE ENGINE OF DESTRUCTION.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
I've played three games and Miriel ended up terrible in every single one. Also her personality sucks. I think she wins the Nils Memorial Award for Worst Character You Have To Level For A Sidequest.

edit: I guess she makes a better staffbot than your other options if you want Maximum Galeforce and stuff Lissa and Maribelle into Peg. Knight ASAP. TBH I haven't had to bother with much beyond 'natural' promotions on Hard.

Francis fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 5, 2013

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
So my characters have been activating Sol and then critting which makes me wonder, can you crit on other skills and then proceed to get 20 critical in one round of combat by activating Astra 4 times with a brave weapon?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Oh look, it's Nintendo PR Statement time!

Nintendo of America posted:

Nintendo makes every effort to make sure its games and systems are available at retail stores nationwide on launch day. Sometimes, because of the variables of shipping, different retailers receive their shipments on different days. Fire Emblem Awakening can be purchased right now from the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo 3DS.

Read: "Yeah, we could've just released on a Tuesday and made it onto the normal shipments, but you know we're crazy. gently caress your pre-orders, the eShop's that way."

Kaidyn
May 22, 2009

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
I have a question re: supports in general. Braindead question but I didn't see an answer milling through the pages. Is the only way to gain support levels in Awakening to actively do something with a person you can support (ex support them during an attack or defense; also healing) or is it still like the old games where pairs just standing next to each other gain support?

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010

Nages posted:

So my characters have been activating Sol and then critting which makes me wonder, can you crit on other skills and then proceed to get 20 critical in one round of combat by activating Astra 4 times with a brave weapon?
Yes :allears:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kaidyn posted:

I have a question re: supports in general. Braindead question but I didn't see an answer milling through the pages. Is the only way to gain support levels in Awakening to actively do something with a person you can support (ex support them during an attack or defense; also healing) or is it still like the old games where pairs just standing next to each other gain support?

You only gain support points when the little heart icon appears over their heads. I believe this is an exhaustive list of what causes that:

Healing
Dancing
Attacking while paired/adjacent
Defending while paired/adjacent, and actually being the unit chosen to show up in the battle animation

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Kaidyn posted:

Yeah you need them to actively take actions either while paired or while adjacent to each other. Healers and dancers are a tad different in that they gain points only for whoever they act on. But if, say, Chrom kills a dude with Lissa next to him, they'll gain points regardless.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
Help. Help Danny. Help Danny not die. help

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Well, Sully's kid is hosed. I forgot to promote Kjelle's parents so now she's just a mediocre Knight. Why is Sully's kid a Knight.

Right now, trying to figure out how to best abuse the fact I can give +16 All Stats to a group of people.

SC Bracer posted:

Yeah you need them to actively take actions either while paired or while adjacent to each other. Healers and dancers are a tad different in that they gain points only for whoever they act on. But if, say, Chrom kills a dude with Lissa next to him, they'll gain points regardless.

That sucks, because I really want to see all the conversations between people but actively having to fight with them is going to be a pain.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tae posted:

Right now, trying to figure out how to best abuse the fact I can give +16 All Stats to a group of people.

I'm not entirely sure how you got four copies of Rally Spectrum, but you'll be sad to find out that rallies don't stack with copies of themselves. Rally Strength will stack with Rally Spectrum, but two copies of Rally Spectrum won't stack.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm not entirely sure how you got four copies of Rally Spectrum, but you'll be sad to find out that rallies don't stack with copies of themselves. Rally Strength will stack with Rally Spectrum, but two copies of Rally Spectrum won't stack.

Mother fucker :argh: Everything else is broken, why this?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Hobo Siege posted:

Help. Help Danny. Help Danny not die. help

Place him into the loving embrace of a manly man, and then kill archers at point blank range.

Jesus christ Sumia is a murder machine. I paired her up with Ricken and gave her a Shockstick and she murdered her way through paralogue 2 to save Anna and the village (even if saving Anna didn't actually do anything). It's a shame they don't have any support conversations together, I guess I'll send the avatar with her instead.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I think Virion might be the first archer in Fire Emblem I actually really like.

You did it, IS.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
He's infinitely more of a murderbeast if you give him a dragon :getin:

I can't quite describe how much fun this game is, seriously. It's wonderful. I've finally got the hang of using the reclass system too so I'm getting ready to make my army of insane war machines. Too bad the grinding dlc isn't out yet.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Francis posted:

I've played three games and Miriel ended up terrible in every single one. Also her personality sucks. I think she wins the Nils Memorial Award for Worst Character You Have To Level For A Sidequest.

I paired Miriel (who's had some lucky speed growths and doubles like a boss) up with murderbeast Lon'qu and send them off with Gaius/Nowi. Nothing on that side of the map lives more than a single round. the Miriel/Lon'qu conversations are pretty good too.

Nowi seems like a character that should be much more annoying than she is. But at least with Gaius she's cute and not creepy.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I'm having a hard time deciding couples. The only one that is set in stone is Sumia/Fred but I still can't choose who my Avatar will marry. I've decided to save marrying Chrom when I play Hard Mode.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I hope I didn't pass over it but how long is this game? I feel like despite being totally awful I'm already almost done. I just killed The Mad King for reference. Hated killing the mission 10 guy though.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

404GoonNotFound posted:

Wait until Chapter 13. You'll know what to do then.

Heh. I'm working on this paring right now in the hope that it results in some hilariously awkward support conversations.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I hope I didn't pass over it but how long is this game? I feel like despite being totally awful I'm already almost done. I just killed The Mad King for reference. Hated killing the mission 10 guy though.

You're still not exactly halfway yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You're maybe a third of way through? Probably less including sidequests.

Peter Bazooka
Sep 29, 2005

This isn’t really anything I think I like.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There's 26 main chapters and 23 paralogue chapters so you've got a ways to go.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
So this is my first FE game (aside from like an hour of FE GBA that I played to decide whether I was interested in getting this one) and I have a few questions:

1) I'm pretty married to the idea of making it through the game on Hard/Classic and it's going okay for the most part, but I'm wondering what you're supposed to do if you seem to be chronically under-leveled. I'm on mission 5 and have done the DLC map (I'm assuming there's just one for now) and the Paralogue part 1, but I still have no level 7s and as you all probably know, mission 5 is full of level 7 dragon knight dudes.

I tried that mission probably ten times before realizing there was seemingly no way to finish it without losing 3-4 characters, and though that was before I did the paralogue/DLC I don't think it will have gotten much easier. So, any tips on keeping up with the difficulty curve of the game? Or any tips specific to mission 5, in case I'm missing some trick to it?

2) Why does no one have feet? :v:

3) There was a question 3, but I forgot, so I'll leave this as-is for now.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Tae posted:

Well, Sully's kid is hosed. I forgot to promote Kjelle's parents so now she's just a mediocre Knight. Why is Sully's kid a Knight.

Kjelle is interesting in that she's the only kid (besides Avatar's) to have a default class list with more than three classes, so I guess that kind of gives you a little more freedom in picking her dad if you want kids with versatile class options.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

TheQat posted:

So this is my first FE game (aside from like an hour of FE GBA that I played to decide whether I was interested in getting this one) and I have a few questions:

1) I'm pretty married to the idea of making it through the game on Hard/Classic and it's going okay for the most part, but I'm wondering what you're supposed to do if you seem to be chronically under-leveled. I'm on mission 5 and have done the DLC map (I'm assuming there's just one for now) and the Paralogue part 1, but I still have no level 7s and as you all probably know, mission 5 is full of level 7 dragon knight dudes.

I tried that mission probably ten times before realizing there was seemingly no way to finish it without losing 3-4 characters, and though that was before I did the paralogue/DLC I don't think it will have gotten much easier. So, any tips on keeping up with the difficulty curve of the game? Or any tips specific to mission 5, in case I'm missing some trick to it?

2) Why does no one have feet? :v:

3) There was a question 3, but I forgot, so I'll leave this as-is for now.

Uh for 1) I'd recommend picking your favorite badasses and making a small focused a-team that you can use for story missions and the harder paralogues. Also, levels don't matter as much as stats so as long as your team can match up in that department you're all good. That's one way of going at it.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

:d: :d: :d:
So has anyone else been giving Henry all the super-critty magic (like Ruin and some of the tomes you get from sparkly tiles) to hear all the insane things he says when he busts out a critical hit? The way he says "I'm gonna kill you!" so gleefully always makes me lose it. And one of his post-fight lines is "Yay, blood!" He's my favorite mage by far.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My only real problem with Henry is that he joins riiight about the point my team is fairly solidified. at least as far as parents go and so it's hard to find a place for him.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Finally got notification from Amazon that my preorder is delayed for an indefinite period of time. So that's cancelled.

Finally time to do what I should've done in the first place and download.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Never played a Fire Emblem game before, but I'm playing The Sacred Stones right (on the 3DS from the ambassador games).

Restarting missions when someone dies is tempting, but I'm starting to deal with it and just move on. Still annoying that Colm died not too long after I had upgraded him to assassin.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
That's the thing. It's not about finding a way to win. It's about finding a way to win while having everyone SURVIVE.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

:d: :d: :d:

ImpAtom posted:

My only real problem with Henry is that he joins riiight about the point my team is fairly solidified. at least as far as parents go and so it's hard to find a place for him.

I already decided ahead of time that he's getting with Maribelle, since they're both a little nuts. Crossing my fingers and hoping for some golden supports!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I want to keep using The Vaike but he simply will not get strength. I am baffled. That's a 75% growth rate!

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Welp just allowed myself to lose my first Unit, Maribelle. I suppose it helped that I didn't really like her as a character anyway. But I know I'm gonna be feeling the loss of a more able healer soon enough.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

theshim posted:

I want to keep using The Vaike but he simply will not get strength. I am baffled. That's a 75% growth rate!

I'm annoyed by that too, he just keeps getting levels in magic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Hubba Tester is the best part of this game. And that's saying something.

EDIT: Also Libra's VA was Zero III in Virtue's Last Reward, which is kind of mind-blowing on a lot of levels.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 5, 2013

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

TheQat posted:

Hard is kicking my rear end too (apparently I'm a fraud because I thought I was pretty okay at FE games :saddowns: ) so I don't have any high level advice. I'm past that mission though and the way I handled it was to snipe Maribelle and the mage kid paired up with a Rescue staff to get them out of danger (assuming Lissa's magic is high enough) and then from there to turtle until the reinforcements calm down. Use wind magic, bows, and Falchion to deal with the Wyverns.

Ryanbomber fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 5, 2013

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Ryanbomber posted:

Hard is kicking my rear end too (apparently I'm a fraud because I thought I was pretty okay at FE games :saddowns: ) so I don't have any high level advice. I'm past that mission though and the way I handled it was to snipe Maribelle and the mage kid paired up with a Rescue staff to get them out of danger (assuming Lissa's magic is high enough) and then from there to turtle until the reinforcements calm down. Use wind magic, bows, and Falchion to deal with the Wyverns.

Thanks, that's helpful because I just got a rescue staff from the Paralogue (I think). I'll have to give it a shot later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

ImpAtom posted:

Henry/Olivia is both hilarious and adorable :3:

• Locked thread