Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Goddamn it Chapter 17 keeps kicking my rear end. On normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Aaaand local Gamestop just confirmed the Friday delay :suicide:

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
I finally got a copy of this game this morning but I don't know which stats to pick as the one you get bonuses on and the one you give up. I've played Fire Emblem games before so I imagine it is like you just always get a +2 on the bonus stat and rarely get a +1 on the one you gave up but I am unsure. Someone said a mage with defense was powerful in these games so I was thinking of choosing defense and giving up resistance but I don't know if I will regret that by endgame and be wishing I chose +magic or strength or something. Will I end up hamstringing my character over this or does it really not matter?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Starting to regret having Rally as Avatar kid's skill. Having 3 Rally's is a bit too much and I wish I could've given Lucina Ignis or something.

Devoyniche posted:

I finally got a copy of this game this morning but I don't know which stats to pick as the one you get bonuses on and the one you give up. Does it really matter? I've played Fire Emblem games before so I imagine it is like you just always get a +2 on the bonus stat and rarely get a +1 on the one you gave up but I am unsure. Someone said a mage with defense was powerful in these games so I was thinking of choosing defense and giving up resistance but I don't know if I will regret that by endgame and be wishing I chose +magic or strength or something. Will I end up hamstringing my character over this or does it really not matter?

Really doesn't matter, unless you're playing on Lunatic and want to min-max. The growths+Second Seal more than is enough to get insanely high stats.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

You get 2 more points in your asset to start, and have a 10% greater chance of getting a point in it when you level. You lose 1 point in your flaw, and it has a 10% less chance of increasing when you level.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The growth differences aren't nearly huge enough for you to get +2 on a stat in a single level, unless you choose HP as your asset.

I went with +SPD/-LCK and my avatar's turned out ridiculously well-balanced with skyhigh speed, and going by the growths that seems about right. Go with that if you're unsure, since being an all-rounder who doubles everything is by no means a bad thing.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
This game has so many perfect little touches and tiny details done right. The inclusion of things like a unique line for every character when buying, selling, and forging is just blowing my mind.

(Also Kellam has the best so far. "Go ahead, sell my life. I'll just be over here... :smith:")

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Tae posted:

Starting to regret having Rally as Avatar kid's skill. Having 3 Rally's is a bit too much and I wish I could've given Lucina Ignis or something.

Really doesn't matter, unless you're playing on Lunatic and want to min-max. The growths+Second Seal more than is enough to get insanely high stats.

You can still give Lucina Ignis by class changing her to Tactician. She can do that.

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 5, 2013

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
My avatar has 26 magic and like 19 speed at level 9 as a Dark Mage after I changed him over from Tactician at level 10. He does 99 damage pretty regularly, and frequently can doublestrike for over the enemy's hit points with each strike. He also has 12 defense and resilience, and almost 40 hitpoints, so he never dies. This is getting kind of silly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not as silly as my level 5 Mercenary Donnel who's got 20s in every stat except Res and Mag. He's slaughtering people with a treebranch.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Welp, time to start training up Donnel too.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Portraits aside, do the character sprites change for characters like Donnel when they become other classes?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Endorph posted:

Not as silly as my level 5 Mercenary Donnel who's got 20s in every stat except Res and Mag. He's slaughtering people with a treebranch.

Yeah that seems to be the norm. Donnel was capped out just from going lvl. 15 Villager->lvl. 10 Mercenary. And the Caps are pretty high in this game.

Just to make sure, the special classes like real Marth and Dancer go to 30?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GaistHeidegger posted:

Portraits aside, do the character sprites change for characters like Donnel when they become other classes?
The portraits? No. The map sprites/battle animations? Yeah, definitely. Every character even has a unique little map sprite for every class they can be, it's a nice touch. Donny keeps his pot on his head no matter what class he is, too.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Endorph posted:

The portraits? No. The map sprites/battle animations? Yeah, definitely. Every character even has a unique little map sprite for every class they can be, it's a nice touch. Donny keeps his pot on his head no matter what class he is, too.

I sincerely hope they find a way to make "Donny's Pot" become a thing in later games, like Titania's Axe and Celica's Gale.

Is there something I'm missing regarding promotions? I'm in Chapter 6, and a couple of characters are already on the double digits and I haven't found any class changing seals, either for promoting or cross-classing. What's the deal?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You'll get the class changing stuff later? You're in the extremely early going of the game, you start getting them around chapter 8ish and start getting them in spades around chapter 12ish.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just for shits and giggles I let the game run auto mode for level 17. It let four other characters die before Chrom's death gave it a game over. I can't tell if it's the AI or my troops that suck.

Also the game was a lot more fun before the enemies realized that they should be putting mages and archers everywhere.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

404GoonNotFound posted:

Aaaand local Gamestop just confirmed the Friday delay :suicide:

This is one of the most hosed launches I've ever seen. Getting pretty irate at them for the delays on the bundles.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, investing in 1-2 range weapons is a huge boon. It's hardest for swordspeople before you get ridiculous characters with capped magic and strength.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
How do I make random battles respawn? I'm early in the game (chapter 4) but Miriel and Sumia are level 2. I'd like to get them up to par but I only had one random battle against pegasus knights which is terrible for levelling mages.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Captain Oblivious posted:

This is one of the most hosed launches I've ever seen. Getting pretty irate at them for the delays on the bundles.

The worst part is I'll probably miss this week's Spotpass batch at this rate. You have to beat mission 5 to unlock them, right?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Levantine posted:

How do I make random battles respawn? I'm early in the game (chapter 4) but Miriel and Sumia are level 2. I'd like to get them up to par but I only had one random battle against pegasus knights which is terrible for levelling mages.
You can buy an item that does it, or you can just clear story battles.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endorph posted:

Oh drat, does that mean there is a hard limit to how many random battles you can fight based on missions cleared? Or money earned? I was hoping I could just trek around hitting dots on the map to make them respawn.

EDIT: I did get a Reeking box from a sparkly. I'll try that for now.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Just let time pass. When I started up the game this morning, two encounters just appeared on the map.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Endorph posted:

Oddly enough, I had one appear when I turned my game on this morning, despite having cleared them all out last night before saving.

Levantine posted:

Oh drat, does that mean there is a hard limit to how many random battles you can fight based on missions cleared? Or money earned? I was hoping I could just trek around hitting dots to make them respawn.
Well, considering that you can buy Reeking Boxes...(especially on Normal, where they only cost 500 - they're 4800 on Hard and above though.)

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

Levantine posted:

Endorph posted:

I think it's based on a timer also. I woke up this morning, turned on the game and 3 random mobs popped up that were not there last time. However, manipulating the 3DS clock doesn't seem to do anything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, time passing does it too, but I figured he didn't want to wait a few hours just to grind Miriel and Sumia up a couple of levels.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Ah ok, cool. Part of me kind of wants to restart on Normal. Hard is fairly difficult even early on. I find myself underestimating certain formations and getting rolled over and I chose DEF as my Avatar's flaw and I'm not loving that for Hard. I might beat the game once on Normal and restart on Hard when I have a better grasp of things.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Endorph posted:

Yeah, time passing does it too, but I figured he didn't want to wait a few hours just to grind Miriel and Sumia up a couple of levels.

Would manually changing the system clock work too?

Nakar posted:

Gamestop in Texas just called me. I already got it on the eShop but I'll probably keep the second copy for whatever. Might want to double check with yours if you ordered.

I already checked and they gave me the "most likely Friday, we'll call if it comes in early" line.

And I'm only one state away from you, dammit. loving Texas :arghfist::cry:

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 5, 2013

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Gamestop in Texas just called me. I already got it on the eShop but I'll probably keep the second copy for whatever. Might want to double check with yours if you ordered.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Nakar posted:

Just called mine to check, the game is in, the bundle is not, and he said they have no idea when it's coming in.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Amazon, if you're not going to fulfill my preorder on schedule, just let me know. Enough with the silent treatment.

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it

Wait..what?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Oooookay, I think I'll wait on doing Nah's recruitment paralogue on Hard.

Everything is level 7+ promoted with two highly forged B-rank weapons. And I do mean everything (except the revenant and entombed which have weapons that seemingly can't be forged).

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Aiight! Finally got the 3DS bundle in the mail and it looks spectacular!

Still haven't decided anything when it comes to pairings, but meh.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Slate Action posted:

Amazon, if you're not going to fulfill my preorder on schedule, just let me know. Enough with the silent treatment.

Yeah, this. They're going to have to ship it out soon if they want it to be here by Wednesday like they're saying it's going to be.

it's not going to be here by wednesday, is it...

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

The Iron Rose posted:

This is probably a good thing. Reading this thread makes me constantly think I am playing the game wrong haha. Gotta do your own thing the first time through :)

Squidder
Mar 19, 2003

King of the Cat Tree

Oven Wrangler
Hay Best Buy preorder peeps, check store availability! It's starting to trickle in; I just got off the phone with them to change my pickup location since it wasn't available at my original store but they DO have it at several other ones in the area.

Here's hoping my next post in this thread is about actually playing!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Holy poo poo my girlfriend just offered to buy me a 3DS just for Fire Emblem Awakening. I'll be able to share how much the RNG spites me sooner rather than later. :neckbeard: Honestly, this sounds like the best Fire Emblem ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Aiight! Finally got the 3DS bundle in the mail and it looks spectacular!

I'm honestly not sure who I'm pairing anyone with anymore! The more I play, the more I'm loving every character and every interaction. About the only one I've landed on is avoiding Donnel/Sully (and I'm not even so sure on that one) and I think I'm going Chrom/Sumia, but beyond that I'm just having a hell of a time building up supports and seeing who's best together.

• Locked thread