Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

High Protein posted:

I assume that if I go and change stuff like engine casing bolts I'll have to do the gaskets as well?

no, just do them one at a time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

echomadman posted:

no, just do them one at a time

Ah ok, I figured even that would tweak the gaskets.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
My 636 has a K&N filter. If I replaced it with a stock filter, would that provide benefits - like added torque? There are no other mods to the intake-exhaust system otherwise.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

the walkin dude posted:

My 636 has a K&N filter. If I replaced it with a stock filter, would that provide benefits - like added torque? There are no other mods to the intake-exhaust system otherwise.

The bike would probably run a bit better with the correct intake pressure.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
According to K&N, their filter will improve horsepower and throttle response. It probably does, by an imperceptible amount.

I'm sure the EFI can handle the pressure increase in the intake tract, it's probably less of an effect than ram air at 60mph.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
So the stock filter would be better for the bike? I know K&Ns are at their best use when coupled with Power Commanders and full exhausts, but I'm not sure if a K&N working by itself would actually bring any benefit. Other than noise.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
It's definitely not going to make much of a difference either way. I'd just keep the K&N.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Without airflow improvement on the exhaust side, the difference between air filters will be pretty negligible. I'd keep the K&N, mostly because I hate paying out the nose for an OEM paper element.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

the walkin dude posted:

If your ECU hasn't been tuned you might be running too lean, can lead to hesitation and engine overheating. When I put a K&N on a (carbed) bike and didn't modify the fueling it lead to backfires on decel which is a tell-tale sign of running lean.

Edit: this assumes a TPS based ECU, not one that uses intake pressure/flow during open loop operation.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

n8r posted:

It's definitely not going to make much of a difference either way. I'd just keep the K&N.

This. Also k&ns are lifetime and just need some oil and a cleaning now and again. I put them on everything and would be amazed to learn they impacted an EFI bike enough to have it run poorly. Maybe less than perfect to a degree only measurable by a dyno run.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Probably more of an issue on carbs which are a bit less adjustable, but the corollary to "higher flowing" is always "less filtration", so I tend to stick to OEM filters. If you're not chasing 10ths, why bother with the potential wear to internals from crap getting into the engine? If you don't plan on holding on to your bike for more than another 20k. Given the choice between better airflow and better filtration, it makes sense to pick better filtration.

A quick google looking for independent verifications will show that K&Ns generally do nothing for power unless paired with a higher flowing exhaust and some sort of tuning.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Zool posted:

They only limit back-torque from the wheel, they would be very not awesome if they worked in both directions. It's as though, at a certain back torque (determined by the clutch springs), the bike automatically feathers the clutch for you.

The clutch springs neither know nor care how much back torque is passing through the clutch. Slippers work either on a dog clutch between the normal clutch and the final drive (back torque causes the dog clutch to disengage, with a spring assembly built in to prevent it from disengaging at lower levels of back-torque) or from an auxiliary clutch master cylinder actuated by positive pressure in the airbox - a closed throttle allows the clutch to slip a little, and the natural dynamics of a clutch do the rest.

The former system is complex and tricky to maintain and adjust, and can wear pretty quickly because the dog clutch engages and disengages with each power stroke of the engine (which is why you still get some engine braking even when the slipper engages). The latter is cheaper and easy to fit as an add-on but obviously vastly increases clutch wear and can still allow the back to lock up in extreme conditions.

The reason you don't get them on many road bikes is because they're complicated and expensive and break easily, which isn't a great thing on a safety-critical item like a clutch.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

They're on nearly every engine designed in the last 5 years? :confused:

Also, the ramp type slipper doesn't disengage the clutch unless backtorque reaches a certain level.

They're not always sold as "slipper clutches", you'll see all kinds of names for them like "back torque limiting", or other some such crap, but they're on nearly all modern engines because it's way better to have the clutch slip a bit then have the back end hop or lock up.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 5, 2013

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Ramp style slipper clutches are adjusted by changing the spring rate or preload on the clutch springs, or a separate spring depending on the design. It would probably be better to change the ramp angle, but that's not very easy to do.

Zool fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 5, 2013

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

This might be a question better suited to the travel forum, or Lonely Planet, but can anyone tell me how feasible it would be for a foreigner on a tourist visa to

a) purchase a motorcycle in the US
b) sell it in a different state?

It's only a vague idea at the moment, but I'm considering moving to the UK (from Australia) later this year and would love to fly into LA, buy a bike, ride across the country and sell it in New York before flying to London. I'd probably spend something like two months doing it so it would be cheaper than renting. But I hear the US can be pretty strict with regards to insurance, license registration etc.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I can't help you on the feasibility of it, but if you can figure it out you absolutely should make it happen. That would be an awesome trip, especially if you can work in riding up the west coast on the PCH.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Z3n posted:

Also, the ramp type slipper doesn't disengage the clutch unless backtorque reaches a certain level.

They're not always sold as "slipper clutches", you'll see all kinds of names for them like "back torque limiting", or other some such crap, but they're on nearly all modern engines because it's way better to have the clutch slip a bit then have the back end hop or lock up.

I had a Suzuki Intruder (VS-700) that had some kind of slipper clutch in it. I liked that it prevented wheelspin on massive downshift engine braking. I hated that it prevented bump-starting the bike. Imagine trying to bump-start a bike with the clutch half engaged. It was miserable. That bike had VERY dodgy electrics, too, leading to a battery dead enough not to be able to crank. If it had had a solid clutch engagement, I know I wouldn't have had to beg so many jumps.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

freebooter posted:

This might be a question better suited to the travel forum, or Lonely Planet, but can anyone tell me how feasible it would be for a foreigner on a tourist visa to

a) purchase a motorcycle in the US
b) sell it in a different state?

It's only a vague idea at the moment, but I'm considering moving to the UK (from Australia) later this year and would love to fly into LA, buy a bike, ride across the country and sell it in New York before flying to London. I'd probably spend something like two months doing it so it would be cheaper than renting. But I hear the US can be pretty strict with regards to insurance, license registration etc.

I wouldn't be much help on the licensing front, but would be willing to source and get a bike ready for you. :)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
If you can get a driver's license you can probably buy/reg/sell a bike. You might need a "home address" in the US though. You might ask whoever you're getting your visa from about the driver's licenses and poo poo, or call the California DMV.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Dang. This is from 2008 but I imagine it hasn't changed much:

http://community.usatourist.com/forums/t/556.aspx

quote:

I keep getting e-mails from foreign visitors, mostly young people, who want to purchase a car in the USA, use it to tour the country, then sell it before returning home. I do not recommend this plan. There are several problems and a nearly insurmountable barrier to driving a car in the USA.

Buying a car in the USA is not a problem. If you have the money, you can easily find someone to sell you a car. You can ship the car overseas or you can sell the car with little difficulty. Driving the car in the USA is, however, very difficult.

In order to legally drive a car in the USA, you must have license plates from some state affixed to the car. Those license plates are issued by the state bureau of motor vehicles, and prove that the car is registered in the state. In order to register the car in any state, you must have a permanent address in that state. If you are living and working in the USA, you will probably have a house or apartment where you live. That can serve as your permanent address in whichever state it is located. If you are a tourist traveling around the USA, you are not likely to have a permanent address in any state. Without a permanent address, you cannot register a car in any state. Therefore, you cannot obtain license plates to drive a car.

- Can you use someone else's address to register the car?
Legally, you cannot do this. If someone allows you to use their address, and they get caught, it might cause them quite a bit of trouble with the police.

- Can I use the previous owner's license plates to drive the car?
Not unless the seller is willing to break the laws and risk possible trouble with the police. A seller will always remove his license plates from the car. Otherwise, the buyer might go off and commit some crime or some act of terrorism anywhere in the USA, and the law enforcement authorities would immediately use those license plates to track the car back to the seller.

- Can someone living in the USA purchase the car for me?
Yes, but the car will be registered in their name and will be insured in their name, so they will be the official owner of the car. They might lend that car to you, but they and their insurance will be assuming full responsibility for the use of the car.

- Can I use a temporary address or a post office box to register a car?
Most states will not allow you to use a temporary address as your permanent place of residence in the state. In parts of Wyoming, they do allow you to use temporary addresses to register a car.

- Are these rules strictly enforced by the police?
Yes, since the terrorist attacks in 2001, the police, the FBI and all law enforcement agencies are very sensitive about people who use false information to obtain driver's licenses and car registrations.

- If I purchase a car for export how do I deliver it to the shipping port?
If you purchase a car near a port city, you might have the seller deliver the car to the point of embarkation. You can also hire a car shipping firm to transport the car via truck to the port.

I am sorry to be the bearer of such negative news, but there is no easy way to purchase a car to drive while touring the USA. I usually suggest that you compare the prices on long term auto rentals or on short term auto leases. They might be expensive, but they are a lot easier than attempting to buy a car, and may even be cheaper if you consider all of the ramifications.

The permanent address thing seems like a dealbreaker but is also a bit vague - I mean, what if I were to move into a backpacker sharehouse for a couple of days and call that my "permanent address"? What defines an address as permanent? When I moved from Western Australia to Victoria I had to change my address with my bank before I could get a Victorian license - I wonder if I could do that in a foreign country.

Although then I suppose I'd have to repeat the process in New York. Alternately, maybe I could just do a loop of the west and return to California to sell.

quote:

I wouldn't be much help on the licensing front, but would be willing to source and get a bike ready for you.

That is hugely generous of you! Although as stated above, it would appear to then be registered in your name, and I wouldn't want to put that on you for an internet stranger. I will ask, though - since this is something you guys should definitely be able to answer - how much would a second-hand bike set me back in California? Say, less than 15 years old (wouldn't want to deal with mechnical issues on a trip like this), probably an endurance dual sport?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

freebooter posted:

Dang. This is from 2008 but I imagine it hasn't changed much:

http://community.usatourist.com/forums/t/556.aspx

The permanent address thing seems like a dealbreaker but is also a bit vague - I mean, what if I were to move into a backpacker sharehouse for a couple of days and call that my "permanent address"? What defines an address as permanent? When I moved from Western Australia to Victoria I had to change my address with my bank before I could get a Victorian license - I wonder if I could do that in a foreign country.

Although then I suppose I'd have to repeat the process in New York. Alternately, maybe I could just do a loop of the west and return to California to sell.

That is hugely generous of you! Although as stated above, it would appear to then be registered in your name, and I wouldn't want to put that on you for an internet stranger. I will ask, though - since this is something you guys should definitely be able to answer - how much would a second-hand bike set me back in California? Say, less than 15 years old (wouldn't want to deal with mechnical issues on a trip like this), probably an endurance dual sport?

If you're serious about doing this, I can make some phone calls and potentially figure out some options for you. I don't think that information is entirely accurate - California definitely has a reciprocation agreement for international drivers licenses, and you should be able to register the bike to yourself locally as long as you have an address to receive mail at. That would make you the owner of the bike with a CA address, and I'm 99% sure state farm would issue you a 2 month policy for insurance. I find it highly unlikely that CA will give a gently caress about anything as long as you pay them the money and have the appropriate boxes to fill out. You could also get just a US motorcycle license by taking the 20 question test and then doing the lollipop if they need a DL number to issue the title to. Then when you got to NY, you'd simply sell the bike. Plates in CA go with the bike, so no problems there either, worst case you would ship them back to the CA DMV.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Z3n posted:

Probably more of an issue on carbs which are a bit less adjustable, but the corollary to "higher flowing" is always "less filtration", so I tend to stick to OEM filters. If you're not chasing 10ths, why bother with the potential wear to internals from crap getting into the engine? If you don't plan on holding on to your bike for more than another 20k. Given the choice between better airflow and better filtration, it makes sense to pick better filtration.

A quick google looking for independent verifications will show that K&Ns generally do nothing for power unless paired with a higher flowing exhaust and some sort of tuning.
They're also terrible on CV carbs that require vacuum on the intake side to lift the throttle slides. The factory replacement is better than running pods, but it's drat near impossible to tune a CV carb with anything other than the factory airbox and paper filter.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

How easy is it to remove the fairings from a gs500f? I'm good with my hands but I've never worked on vehicles of any kind before. What tools would I need? Is it complicated to attach a round headlight (like the ones on the gs500e) if you take off the entire front fairing?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

M42 posted:

How easy is it to remove the fairings from a gs500f? I'm good with my hands but I've never worked on vehicles of any kind before. What tools would I need? Is it complicated to attach a round headlight (like the ones on the gs500e) if you take off the entire front fairing?

If it's like any of the other Suzukis, it's gonna be a mix of 6mm hex head screws, phillips screws, and 10mm bolts. I'd suggest a metric allen key set, a 1/4" drive ratchet with metric sizes up to 14mm, and a good phillips screwdriver. If you can get a stubby phillips or a phillips tip for the ratchet, you're in better shape.

Make sure you tug and pull to find all the fasteners before you try to remove a fairing piece. Sometimes they're not bolted together in the obvious ways, and one piece MUST come off before another piece. I've got a GSF-1200 (bandit) and it wasn't very hard to take everything off; maybe an hour the first time I had to do it, being careful. About the same to put it back on, since I didn't really remember how it came apart, but it only goes together one way, so it's at least obvious.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It's not difficult with the right tools and time, obviously there are naked versions and you could probably trade set ups with someone on a gs500 forum. Or you could just keep the fairings.

Of course none of this matters cause you aren't buying whatever gs500 you're asking about. I don't think you'll ever get one, you've just been asking about it for a couple of years. I'd bet on it but I can't think of anything I can bet or do that would be appealing to CA readers.

Don't get me wrong. I like having you around and you ask good questions, but your worrying about way too much stuff when you should just worry about getting on 2 wheels first.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

:confused: I only settled on a gs like, 8 months ago or so. Seriously, dude. I ask questions like that cause I see one on CL that's got some issue (in this case I saw one that had a messed up fairing) but is pretty cheap, cause I'm broke.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
So bet me something then. It doesn't have to be a GS, any motorcycle by the end of 2013 is fine by me. Toxx's are dumb, we could think of something more fun than that.

edit: Maybe like, if you get a bike I'll take any icon and title for a year, if you don't then you can post in CA but every post has to start with "As a potential motorcycle rider, "

nsaP fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 5, 2013

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
To jump back to the screw discussion, I just had good results with a Grabit extractor. Didn't see the reverse thread suggestion until after I bought it, but for $6 it's no big deal since it worked.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have had decent luck with a set of cheapy Mastercraft double-ended screw extractors. Hex chuck, so they fit in your drill; one end is the left-handed helical extractor, and the other end is an appropriately-sized center drill with some facing flutes. So first you use the drill end to clean out the stripped head and set up a proper-sized starter hole, then swap to the extractor, which fits the taper perfectly and bites instantly. I also used a tap wrench on the extractor side for very slow, steady torque.

I did have one bolt that was so incredibly lovely that it just sheared off even lower down the shaft, but the other three or four I've tried them on popped right out. No snapped extractors.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...t.jsp?locale=en

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

They're really not that common. Just taking Kawasaki's model line (for no other reason than I happened to be on their site earlier) - the ZX-6R, ZX-10R, and ZZR1400 have slipper clutches of some description. None of the rest of the models do - including, notably, models that share engines with those bikes like the Z1000 and the 1400, and bikes that would really benefit from it like the Versys, don't have it.

The ramp-type slipper doesn't disengage the main clutch at all, it disengages a separate dog clutch. It's the pneumatic style that slip the main clutch slightly whenever the throttle is closed. Because a slipping clutch slips more the more speed differential there is between sides, this gives roughly the same effect as the ramp-type with less parts and complexity at the expense of increased clutch wear.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

Phone posted:

Is there anything special needed when trying to find a tow company to tow a motorcycle?
Nothing special, but a lot of them won't do it on flatbeds for (presumably) insurance reasons, so you might need to ring around.

When I'm in difficult conditions (uphill turning in snow, this time) am I right to be staying in one gear lower than I'd normally take it? Also my legs probably shouldn't be shooting down to the road to stabilise me so much, but gently caress it, I was going from stationary -> crawl -> stationary with how much grip my tires lost.

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Feb 5, 2013

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've learned and practiced that a higher gear is what you want. It gives smoother power delivery due to the decreased torque available. This is also what the MSF course says to do.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The ramp-type slipper doesn't disengage the main clutch at all

Yes they do. I mean there may have been a design like that way back when but the current generation are super simple and reliable. They aren't really much more complex in terms of parts, the pressure plate just has ramps on it which at high back torque work against corresponding ramps on the basket allowing it to cam out slightly, taking pressure off the plates. There's no reason it can't be just as reliable as a standard clutch and it's simply a better design.

This design is pretty typical, my KTM has something very similar, but not all trick red anodised billet.

Ramps on the pressure plate.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Feb 5, 2013

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Z3n posted:

If you're serious about doing this, I can make some phone calls and potentially figure out some options for you. I don't think that information is entirely accurate - California definitely has a reciprocation agreement for international drivers licenses, and you should be able to register the bike to yourself locally as long as you have an address to receive mail at. That would make you the owner of the bike with a CA address, and I'm 99% sure state farm would issue you a 2 month policy for insurance. I find it highly unlikely that CA will give a gently caress about anything as long as you pay them the money and have the appropriate boxes to fill out. You could also get just a US motorcycle license by taking the 20 question test and then doing the lollipop if they need a DL number to issue the title to. Then when you got to NY, you'd simply sell the bike. Plates in CA go with the bike, so no problems there either, worst case you would ship them back to the CA DMV.

It's definitely something I want to do if I move to London, it's just moving to London that's not certain yet. I would probably want to do it by the end of the year though, and that means I'd have to be flying out of NYC in October at the latest (that's when it gets too cold in America to enjoyably ride, right?)

I'll do a bit more research myself, even if it's a vague thing I like to know if a pipe dream is actually feasible or not. (I could always, alternately, ship my Triumph there, ride that and ship it to Britain, but that would probably be prohibitively expensive.)

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Z3n posted:

Meh, anecdotal evidence I know, but my 82 honda got a K&N with it's first filter change and is just about to kick over 60k miles with no appreciable wear. Plenty of those miles were unkept dirt roads.

obso fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 5, 2013

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ReelBigLizard posted:

Yes they do. I mean there may have been a design like that way back when but the current generation are super simple and reliable. They aren't really much more complex in terms of parts, the pressure plate just has ramps on it which at high back torque work against corresponding ramps on the basket allowing it to cam out slightly, taking pressure off the plates. There's no reason it can't be just as reliable as a standard clutch and it's simply a better design.

This design is pretty typical, my KTM has something very similar, but not all trick red anodised billet.

Ramps on the pressure plate.

Well there you go, I've learned something today. Surely that design means that once the slipper kicks in you lose all engine braking though?

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Surely that design means that once the slipper kicks in you lose all engine braking though?

Not all of it, but that is the point.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They're really not that common. Just taking Kawasaki's model line (for no other reason than I happened to be on their site earlier) - the ZX-6R, ZX-10R, and ZZR1400 have slipper clutches of some description. None of the rest of the models do - including, notably, models that share engines with those bikes like the Z1000 and the 1400, and bikes that would really benefit from it like the Versys, don't have it.

The ramp-type slipper doesn't disengage the main clutch at all, it disengages a separate dog clutch. It's the pneumatic style that slip the main clutch slightly whenever the throttle is closed. Because a slipping clutch slips more the more speed differential there is between sides, this gives roughly the same effect as the ramp-type with less parts and complexity at the expense of increased clutch wear.

The Connie 14 does as a slipper, as does the old Connie 11, although the Connie 11 one is different. The Versys uses the Ninja 650 engine, which was first made in 2006. The Ninja 1k engine doesn't use it, but it's also it's own 1054 engine, not based on anything else. Slippers do tend to show up only on more aggressive bikes/higher engine braking bikes, but there are plenty of other bikes that have them as well (Multistrada 620 has them too).

The ramp type ones are adjustable through a few different means, and you don't lose all engine braking when they start slipping, you just lose enough that it doesn't lock up. It's the same thing as riding the clutch slightly, they just slip a bit.

obso posted:

Meh, anecdotal evidence I know, but my 82 honda got a K&N with it's first filter change and is just about to kick over 60k miles with no appreciable wear. Plenty of those miles were unkept dirt roads.

Those old Hondas are also insanely reliable and WAY overbuilt. But I bet if you tore it down you'd find more wear on it than you would with something that had better flitration. Look up the K&N filtration tests, they filter far worse than the rest of the options.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 5, 2013

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
KTM's own badly translated despcription of the APTC slipper clutch.

quote:

This anti-hopping clutch is a must for any ambitious rider.
Everyone knows about rear wheel hopping: heavy braking in a curve can lead to unnerving shuddering at the rear wheel.
Experienced riders overcome this problem on hard terrain with a gentle pull on the clutch lever, thereby reducing the transmission of this force to the rear wheel.
Resourceful engineers have now come up with the solution: the anti-hopping clutch.
The APTC is a worldwide patented slipper clutch that features a unique hub consisting in two parts connected by an helix profile.
This complex mechanism using angled layers for additional friction was developed to prevent clutch-slippage: under engine-load this system generates additional pressure on the clutch plates, but when over-running the clutch is able to slip.
The power torque feature of the APTC guarantees riders maximum rear-wheel grip during acceleration and anti-hopping during downshifting. By maximizing rider control, the APTC allows for greater speeds going into and coming out of turns.
This design, unlike all other slipper clutches on the market, makes it also much easier to pull the clutch lever (~50% less pressure is required) and eliminates clutch lever vibration, helping the rider saving a lot of energy and sparing himself the discomfort of a cramped forearm.

A Supermoto rider could appreciate a better control while braking, without any rear wheel hop even during heavy braking and hard downshifting.
The smoother engine output on the ground brought by the power torque characteristic of the APTC allows the rider to open the throttle earlier, for a far more rapid ascent to top speed.
The absence of any clutch lever vibration allows the rider, unlike all other slipper clutches on the market, to pull the clutch in the off-road section of the track, for a better control of the bike.

An Enduro rider can in addition appreciate a better control while braking, less vibration and sticking in the clutch lever, which translates to better clutch control, and a lighter perception of the impacts on the rear wheel when hitting rugged terrain before a curve.
The light clutch lever load is also a vital anti-fatigue factor in extra long races.
He will also note the difference coming from a more constant and stable performance of the clutch under extreme use.

A Motocross rider on the other side will discover a better control while braking, and, especially, a smoother engine output on the ground: this form of traction control allows the rider to open the throttle earlier, for a far more rapid ascent to top speed.
The light clutch lever load brings much less fatigue and arm pump, helping the rider to perform more laps without going over the limits, consequently committing less driving errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well there you go, I've learned something today. Surely that design means that once the slipper kicks in you lose all engine braking though?

Mine only starts to slip near maximum engine braking, and it only slips just enough so the rear wheel doesn't lock up - the amount of engine braking is still massive. Maybe the easiest way to think of it like ABS for your clutch.