Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Dyna beads are a stupid idea in MC tires. No independent testing, only "well it sure does feel gooder when I put them in!" Depending on the design of your tps it could also damage it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
I have a stupid question, is it possible to flat spot a bit of tire in an off?

I've noticed since I low-sided a couple of months back that when I lean over to the right the front end will occasionally want to skitter away from me.

I'm running a Dunlop Qualifier 120/60 zr (came with the bike) if that makes a difference. I'm not sure on the year but the tread pattern looks nothing like the one's I've googled.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
What are your tire pressures and have you checked that the forks dont need to be loosened up to pop back straight from your crash?

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

What are your tire pressures and have you checked that the forks dont need to be loosened up to pop back straight from your crash?

Tire pressures are what the owners manual recommends (33/36 I think - I'm spacing at the moment but I checked them a couple of days ago).

I've not checked the forks, how would I go about that? Visually they look okay, I've noticed bars now tweak my fingers at full lock when turning right. I'd assumed this was probably them just being a little bent. Though again they look fine.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I'd reset the forks after an of as a matter of course, even if they don't look twisted. Managed to tweak mine to a noticeable degree at less than 20mph.

All you need to do is loosen off all the bolts that clamp the fork legs (and at this point I give them a bit of a shake) then tighten them up to the specified torque again.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 1, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ReelBigLizard posted:

I'd reset the forks after an of as a matter of course, even if they don't look twisted. Managed to tweak mine to a noticeable degree at less than 20mph.

All you need to do is loosen off all the bolts that clamp the fork legs (and at this point I give them a bit of a shake) then tighten them up to the specified torque again.

It's worth noting that you need to support the front end while you do this or you'll have a bad time. I usually loosen both set of upper pinch bolts, give the clipons a twist or two, tighten them back down, then do the same with the lower set. This probably doesn't work very well compared to supporting the front and loosening both sets at once.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Guys (gals?), I could really use some advice.

Doing the rear tire on my C14, 190/50ZR17.

It was a bitch, but I got the bead broken all around. The problem now: I cannot, for the life of me, get the first bit of the bead lifted over the rim. I hook under it with a tire tool (or prybar for that matter, I've tried), I cannot lever it over the edge. I actually start to significantly bend the tool and I am actually scared of bending the rim lip or snapping the tool. I am using rim protectors, thankfully.

Am I missing something super obvious here? I know I am getting a hook on the bead, but the whole lifting up past the normal bead rest zone on the rim is proving pretty much impossible. Ideas?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You need to squeeze the tire on the other side, and force both sides of the bead into the drop center to get the extra slack in the tire needed to lever it over the edge.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If I squeeze it by hand I presume? I'll try. Thanks

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

slidebite posted:

If I squeeze it by hand I presume? I'll try. Thanks

You can squeeze it by hand, but I keep a few wood clamps on hand to force it into the drop center. Only downside is you have to be careful because the clamps also take up some slack so only use them as an extra hand, don't leave them on there the entire time.

Basically, if you squeeze both side of the bead into the drop center, you can shift the entire tire over about 1.5 inches and that gives you enough extra tire slack to lever the tire over the lip of the rim. Once you get the first bit over the edge of the rim, it holds itself in the drop center, and you can usually pull the clamp off then.

If you're forcing the poo poo out of it, you're doing it wrong.

Also, it REALLY helps to warm up the tires. Put them in front of the heater or fire, or leave them in the sun depending on how warm a day it is.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Yeah, that's why some tires with stiff sidewalls can be such a pain in the rear end. I usually had to call for help whenever I had to change a BT021/023 or Roadsmart/II because even using my entire body weight (all 140-150 lbs of it) was not enough to keep it in the drop center most of the time. Clamps sound like a fantastic idea.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I stopped last night after this post (well, more precisely after I started watching that 70+ min vid of cycle mayhem and having some beverages) but I like that clamp idea. I think I can make that work, and as you describe it, it makes sense.

That tire is a pretty wide boot, so of course my virgin tire change is probably on one of the harder tires to do. Go me! :downs:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Oh no, narrow tires are harder. I'm never doing a dirt bike front tire again.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Wha? I have basically no sidewall and what I do have is super rigid. I image a narrow but tall dirtbike tire should be tons easier, no?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

slidebite posted:

Wha? I have basically no sidewall and what I do have is super rigid. I image a narrow but tall dirtbike tire should be tons easier, no?

Yeah but you have a giant rim to move the tire around on, and you're more worried about flex in the carcass than the sidewall directly. A dirtbike tire doesn't really flex at all, has very little clearance, and you're usually shoving a tube in there as well.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

Yeah but you have a giant rim to move the tire around on, and you're more worried about flex in the carcass than the sidewall directly. A dirtbike tire doesn't really flex at all, has very little clearance, and you're usually shoving a tube in there as well.

A thought popped in to my head: does a dirtbike tyre also has a bead that needs to be set?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

KARMA! posted:

A thought popped in to my head: does a dirtbike tyre also has a bead that needs to be set?

Yes, in fact, the bead is often stronger because dirt bike tires run really low pressures and are still sometimes expected to work when flat. With the tube though, it's really easy to seat (unless you pinch flat the drat thing!)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

OK, I am getting ticked off and hope someone can look at this and go "Oh, you big dummy, this is what you're doing wrong"

Firstly, tools I am using:

I am squeezing the sidewall, get it to drop center, but I cannot, for the life of me, "shift" the tire over a smidgen towards the side. THe only way I see it even possible would to literally use 7 or 8 clamps, get the whole thing under tension to go center and try.. but I don't have half a dozen clamps. As soon as I take the clamp tension off, the tire goes back more or less to the beadline on both sides. I actually broke the tip off tool #4 just a second ago trying to pry it up and over.

Like, a moment or two after this photo was taken, the whole thing was back to the inside of the bead line.

I am about >< close to saying gently caress it and take it somewhere, but I really don't like giving up, especially since I broke the bead all around... which I thought, foolishly, that would be the hard part. But really, I think I'm going to need to clamp it all the way around to move it over a bit. I have 2 quick clamps.

e: It just dawned on me. I know realize the zip tie method. Get it really compressed to the center. Zip tie. Move over. Repeat. Instead of 8 clamps I've got zip ties.

I don't have strong enough ones at home, but gently caress it, I'll buy some tomorrow.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 6, 2013

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

And you've got the rim lock to deal with.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
I'm going to be picking up some new tyres on Friday hopefully, either pilot road or pilot road 2's. Is the price hike for the two worth it? The vast majority of my riding is twisty country lanes, yay for living in the country side!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yes.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

When I was shopping, it came down to PR2s or PR3s. Consensus was that the 3s were a decent jump over the 2s as well.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

Hah. Succinct!

slidebite posted:

When I was shopping, it came down to PR2s or PR3s. Consensus was that the 3s were a decent jump over the 2s as well.

I did look at the three's as well, however they're another price hike over the two's and I'm trying to save some cash for when the new baby arrives! :)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I can only speak for the 2s - they heat up fast, stick well wet or dry, and last forever. I have 9000 mi mostly highways on mine and they've only begun to get a little half-inch flat spot in the middle; I expect another season from them.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

I can only speak for the 2s - they heat up fast, stick well wet or dry, and last forever. I have 9000 mi mostly highways on mine and they've only begun to get a little half-inch flat spot in the middle; I expect another season from them.

I had a friend that's been riding for years round at the weekend to help me sort out my rear brake and after looking at them was astounded I'd only come off once over the winter!

He reckons that they're probably the stock tyres from 2004, oops!

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Sorry to double post but the place I've booked to do my tyres tomorrow are doing free fitting on PR3's which means I can actually have a set of them cheaper than the PR2's!

With the caveat that they can get a front in for me!

So any one around the Leeds UK area needing tyres should check out these guys;

http://www.biketyresleeds.com/

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I've got a pair of PR3s on my VFR, about 6000 miles on them, they barely look half worn if that and I go at a spirited pace, and the bike feels super planted with them, not sure about their outright grip, but i've never had any issues with them losing grip when ridden aggresively.

I have PR2s as well they were great, maybe didn't have the same planted feel that i'm getting from the 3s.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008
New PR3 rear for me tomorrow (finally). Tad under 9000miles and they've hit the wear markers, that's including 3.5k of Eurotouring with a majority of city start stop, accelerate like a knob for 50m riding. Had total confidence with them in all conditions until about 200miles ago, now they just feel the tiniest bit untrustworthy. What price are you lot getting on these fitted? Essential Rubber in London is doing it for £140 fitted (10% discount for mentioning londonbikers forum).

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
I'm either getting a set of PR3's for £220 or PR2's for £225 fitted too.

They've got an offer on for free fitting on the PR3's and PP3's which is why their cheaper than the 2's.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
I got my PR3's last week and just wanted to say thanks to everyone that recommended them. The difference between the grip they provide compared to my old tyres is like night and day and completely confidence inspiring in the corners.

I seem to be riding a whole hell of a lot smoother and more consistently on them, I'm thinking this is because I'm not constantly worrying about them breaking away underneath me.

Add me to the bandwagon recommending them :)

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

HammerOfHope posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Continental Conti Motion ST tires? They're easily the least expensive tires I've seen so far in Canada and seem to be getting good reviews. This is my first tire swap after a couple years of riding (SV650S) so I don't want to lay down almost twice as much for the Pilot Road 2s if the Conti Motions are just as good.

Here's a link: http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/continental-conti-motion-sport-touring-radial-rear-tire.html

Searching around this thread I found this post that matches my exact question but was never answered. My bike is also an SV650, but my friend has a 650R. I have 2 summers under my belt, he has none. I push my bike a little more than he does but nothing ridiculous. I don't mind spending on tires and I was thinking about the PR2/PR3s this thread generally recommends, but does this logic also apply to a new rider? Are those Continentals fine for a first set, or is it the opposite; he should buy better tires since he's new?

internet inc fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 2, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Those Contis will probably be fine for your SV. I don't know if riding experience is much of a factor on those vs. PR2/PR3.

For me, the reason I pick the Pilot Roads is the life expectancy. My friend has a set of PR2s on his Ulysses that have lasted 15,000 miles. My wife had 10k on hers before she picked up a drill bit in one and just replaced both at once (with PR2s). I'm at 10k on mine and they look like they have another year left.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

Those Contis will probably be fine for your SV. I don't know if riding experience is much of a factor on those vs. PR2/PR3.

For me, the reason I pick the Pilot Roads is the life expectancy. My friend has a set of PR2s on his Ulysses that have lasted 15,000 miles. My wife had 10k on hers before she picked up a drill bit in one and just replaced both at once (with PR2s). I'm at 10k on mine and they look like they have another year left.

Yeah pretty much this...you'll probably save more in the long run with the PRs but the Contis are fine from a safety standpoint.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I like pilot powers/roads because of the profile. It just fits my riding style, and I feel the most comfortable on them.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Out of curiosity, does the tire tread pattern change the pressure you should be running in them?

The manual for my CL recommends 25-28psi in the front and 28-31 in the back. This is with your standard 1970s style street tire, pretty smooth with a lot of circumferential grooves. I've got 80/20 dual sport tires installed, which look like this

and have been running 27/30. Everything feels fine -- the actual profile of the tire is still quite round and smooth -- but does the different size and shape of contact patch mean that you're theoretically supposed to run higher or lower than stock? Or is that entirely a function of the bike's weight and balance and your riding style?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's nearly entirely a function of weight and tire construction (and personal feedback preference) as to what you're going to run in them. That seems a bit high for that kind of bike if you're going to be doing any offroading on them but is probably just fine for street.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Someone on another forum was flipping out about weird lines he was seeing in his Michelin Pilot Road 3s:

This doesn't look like a big deal to me but this was after about 4000 miles and there's an urban legend about PR3s coming apart, this guy thought he was seeing the first stages. Turns out:

quote:

Pilot Power/Pilot Road Technical Information- Anti Static Strip. When a motorcycle is in use there is a build up of static within the machine. It is necessary to ensure that this is disbursed during usage. In order to facilitate this there is a carbon black strip built into the tyre during manufacture. This strip is moulded into the tyre before curing using carbon, as this is a good conductor of electricity. This strip is practically invisible on a new tyre, but can appear as the tyre wears, especially if the use of the motorcycle is not high. There is no detrimental effect on the performance of the tyre either before, during or after the strip has become apparent The positioning of this groove is slightly off centre and can be seen in the diagram below."

Hopefully this keeps someone from spazzing in the future.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

quote:

especially if the use of the motorcycle is not high.

Tell him to stop being such a baby and ride the bike more! :v:

That's pretty interesting though, thanks for sharing!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

Someone on another forum was flipping out about weird lines he was seeing in his Michelin Pilot Road 3s:

This doesn't look like a big deal to me but this was after about 4000 miles and there's an urban legend about PR3s coming apart, this guy thought he was seeing the first stages. Turns out:

Hopefully this keeps someone from spazzing in the future.

I was wondering what those were on my PR3's. Thanks for posting this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Just bought a 2009 KLR 650 that I'm taking on a trip to Alaska in about 2.5 weeks. PO was heavy into offroad so it's got some 60/40 knobbies on it (at least I think that's the ratio, just guessing here) and I'm thinking of switching to a 80/20 or 90/10 split for my ride up there. What's good for that? I'm not finding much tire resources online. I have zero tire buying experience.

• Locked thread