Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Your math is fine, it's just that each Fire Emblem cartridge comes equipped with the ability to bend the laws of probability and statistics so that each enemy's 28% chance to hit with 2% chance to crit actually becomes a 100% to hit with 100% to crit.

No, I mean like, basic math. As in "Oh, this dude has 24 health. Sumia will hit twice for 14 damage total, and then Vaike will finish him off with a 8 damage strike :downs:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Nakar posted:

By the way, for those curious: They fixed the Battle Saves from Radiant Dawn if you happen to be playing on Casual. RNG is locked in, so you can't keep reloading until you get a favorable draw. You have to actually use the RNs.

Goddammit, they XCOM'd it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

RoboCicero posted:

No, I mean like, basic math. As in "Oh, this dude has 24 health. Sumia will hit twice for 14 damage total, and then Vaike will finish him off with a 8 damage strike :downs:"

Yeah, Fire Emblem does that to you. I was playing FE8 recently, and had Vanessa throw a javelin at an archer because I thought my 11 damage would kill him with 13 HP. She ate a Steel Bow hit in response. :saddowns:

404GoonNotFound posted:

Goddammit, they XCOM'd it.

That's not new, that's how it worked in the GBA games before this.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

This is my first Fire Emblem game, am I missing out on anything if I play casual mode? I think I'd want to save the permadeath for a second save file.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Your manhood. :colbert:

(Or womanhood.)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

This is my first Fire Emblem game, am I missing out on anything if I play casual mode? I think I'd want to save the permadeath for a second save file.

Not really, just go for it if you want to save yourself a lot of pain.

Dr Pepper posted:

Your manhood. :colbert:

(Or womanhood.)

Motherfucker, I beat Hector Hard Mode, I EARNED THIS.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
So is True Hit still in this game? It doesn't really feel like it for some reason. Got my first bullshit death last night when Lon'qu ate two 25% axe hits.

Goddamn this game is so fun. I think so far literally the only thing that bothers me is that the localizers felt the need to make up weird names for side and DLC maps. Just call them sidequests and bonus quests, there's no need to make up weird words like "paralogue" and "xenologue".

Fake edit: Technically they're real words but they're both terms used in genetics. Come on guys.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So is True Hit still in this game? It doesn't really feel like it for some reason. Got my first bullshit death last night when Lon'qu ate two 25% axe hits.

Goddamn this game is so fun. I think so far literally the only thing that bothers me is that the localizers felt the need to make up weird names for side and DLC maps. Just call them sidequests and bonus quests, there's no need to make up weird words like "paralogue" and "xenologue".

Fake edit: Technically they're real words but they're both terms used in genetics. Come on guys.

I'm almost positive it uses true hit. You can really tell the difference from the old games.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Actually, paralogue is kind of a pun, but only in the chapters where you recruit kids. I can always get behind a pun.

the dictionary posted:

paralogue
noun
(genetics) either of a pair of genes that derive from the same ancestral gene

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it
How do I level up characters that are level 1? Thats the only problem I'm having so far. The issue is that they die too easy, and I have classic mode on.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Forged weapons and pair them up with the toughest dude you have.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

teknologik posted:

How do I level up characters that are level 1? Thats the only problem I'm having so far. The issue is that they die too easy, and I have classic mode on.

The free DLC chapter (Marth) can be repeated and has low level units you can grind on.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
My Lon'qu has turned into an axe magnet which is really annoying given his speed. Later on he ate a %2 critical from a dark mage :negative:. I hope the other myrmidon is better because god drat.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Marogareh posted:

My Lon'qu has turned into an axe magnet which is really annoying given his speed. Later on he ate a %2 critical from a dark mage :negative:. I hope the other myrmidon is better because god drat.

The other Myrmidon is A) a HERO OF JUSTICE & B) loving hilarious.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Sully and Chrom are the most rear end-kicking couple I've ever seen in anything. They're both at about lv15 now and Chrom's putting out about 30 damage per attack(and then usually attacking twice) and Sully's not too far behind. And they duo-attack like 70% of the time. It's so beautiful. Anything that comes near them just dies instantly.

Dec 26, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm almost positive it uses true hit. You can really tell the difference from the old games.

You can safely assume they're using 2-RN hit for any of the modern games, it would be silly of them to go back.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

01011001 posted:

You can safely assume they're using 2-RN hit for any of the modern games, it would be silly of them to go back.

That's what I meant, sorry if I wasn't clear. "True hit" usually means 2-RNs due to a weird etymology (because the 2-RN system is the system where distinguishing "true hit" from "displayed hit" even makes sense). By "old games" I meant the really old ones.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kelp Plankton posted:

Sully and Chrom are the most rear end-kicking couple I've ever seen in anything. They're both at about lv15 now and Chrom's putting out about 30 damage per attack(and then usually attacking twice) and Sully's not too far behind. And they duo-attack like 70% of the time. It's so beautiful. Anything that comes near them just dies instantly.

Not pairing Sully with Virion is wrong.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Aphrodite posted:

Not pairing Sully with Virion is wrong.

Nah, Virion gets Cordy, Panne, or the Wyvern Meido Bodyguard.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

404GoonNotFound posted:

Nah, Virion gets Cordy, Panne, or the Wyvern Meido Bodyguard.

You misspelled Libra.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Perfect Potato posted:

You misspelled Libra.

Well yeah, it goes without saying that this is purely beard discussion.

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it
I'm like three hours in, but I wonder if I should just restart and set it to casual for easy grinding. I'm like 2 1/2 hours in. It's not like I'm ever NOT going to restart when someone dies just to save them anyways. The only reason I did classic is because I wanted to play the older fire emblems eventually and wanted to be used to perma death :(

Lord Grundle
Sep 5, 2011

lelandjs posted:

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ Oh thank goodness. I'll give that a try... after I get out of my current predicament, which is that I battle saved during Paralogue 9. After I moved my Chrom/Sumia team to be in Cynthia's range. And she attacks them. Every. Single. Time.

I'm gonna try some drastic strategies but I might have to give up on Cynthia.

Couldn't you just give Chrom's weapons to someone else so he doesn't counter attack?

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
So out of curiosity, what sort of pairings have you guys been doing? I think I'm going to go for

Chrom/Sumia (maybe Olivia?)
Henry/Olivia
MU/Tiki
Ricken/Nowi
Vaike/Cordelia
Gaius/Sully
Stahl/Panne
Virion/Cherche
Donnel/Tharja
Libra/Mariabelle?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Arbitrary Coin posted:

So out of curiosity, what sort of pairings have you guys been doing? I think I'm going to go for

Henry/Olivia
MU/Tiki
Ricken/Nowi
Vaike/Cordelia
Gaius/Sully
Stahl/Panne
Virion/Cherche
Donnel/Tharja
Libra/Mariabelle?

Well this is where I bring out... The Plan.

Chrom/Sully
Lissa/Donnel
Owain/Cynthia
Morgan/Brady
Kjelle/Gerome

The weirdest, yet most badass, family tree ever :black101:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Henry/Olivia
MU/Tiki
Ricken/Nowi
Vaike/Cordelia
Gaius/Sully
Stahl/Panne
Virion/Cherche
Donnel/Tharja
Libra/Mariabelle?

Mine are...

Chrom/Sumia
Stahl/Lissa
Sully/Virion
Frederick/Cordelia
Gaius/Maribelle
Nowi/Kellam
Panne/Ricken
Olivia/Vaike
Donnel/Cherche
Tharja/Henry
Gregor/Miriel

Some of these were through usage, others were just to link people. Some that ended up having cool supports that might be uncommon were Gaius/Maribelle, and Gregor/Miriel. Henry/Tharja was pretty funny too.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In this playthrough I'm just doing the supports that seemed the most interesting. I'm planning on filling out the support library at some point, the only hard part is Lucina's mother and sibling supports.

Then, once the actually challenging DLC starts trickling, I'll break open the floodgates of optimized children.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Why's that hard? That unit is already super powerful, and Pair Up makes Support easy.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I went with:

Vaike/Sully
Lon'qu/Panne
Chrom/Sumia
Ricken/Maribelle
Donnel/Nowi

Anyone I wasn't using didn't get paired, so I wouldn't have to grind ranks.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

Why's that hard? That unit is already super powerful, and Pair Up makes Support easy.

The issue is that you have to play through a bunch of chapters between pairing and getting the supports, rather than just holding onto an endgame file where nobody is paired with anybody else.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I went with
Chrom/Sumia
Panne/Frederick
Cordelia/Lon'Qu
Lissa/Ricken
Sully/Kellam
Cherche/Libra

The rest are yet unpaired, but I think I'll use
Maribelle/Vaike
Nowi/Gaius
Olivia/Stahl

If I can bother to grind out more supports and levels.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Well, I see I will never marry Cordelia with anyone in future games if it produces the demon spawn called a daughter. Holy poo poo, she's annoying in the most bratty way possible.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Are the random Avatars who show up on the world map all other people, or are some computer generated

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've only got two pairings right now.

Chrom/Sully
Stahl/Miriel

Hopefully I can get everything going better as it goes along, but man I am lacking on my anime couples.

Although I did put Vaike and Lon'qu together as my savage team of destruction and they are good buddies now.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Cake Attack posted:

Are the random Avatars who show up on the world map all other people, or are some computer generated

As I understand it, StreetPassing with someone who doesn't have FE:A will generate a randomized team.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Arbitrary Coin posted:

So out of curiosity, what sort of pairings have you guys been doing?

Married:

Chrom/Olivia
Donnel/Nowi

Pairings I'm considering:

Frederick/Sumia
Gaius/Sully
Virion/Lissa
Lon'qu/Panne

yulia tymotebow
Jan 8, 2011

by Lowtax
How replayable are FE games?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Gyoru posted:

Married:

Chrom/Olivia

People actually do this outside of deliberate min/maxing? Wow.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Francis posted:

As I understand it, StreetPassing with someone who doesn't have FE:A will generate a randomized team.

You can tell which are which, I think, by the name of the army. If it's "Otherworld army" (or something like that) it's randomly generated. If it's "Ylisse army" or a custom name then it's not. Note that I'm not actually sure what the names are in the NA version, I just remember what they were in the Japanese version.

e: ^^^ that pairing isn't even all that minmaxy. Chrom/Sumia, Chrom/Avatar and Chrom/Maribelle are all just as good. It's mostly for style points or because you like the pairing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

yulia tymotebow posted:

How replayable are FE games?

Extremely.

• Locked thread