Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

elmer fud posted:

I need a new addicting game, I just finished puzzlecraft, and I'm over puzzles and dragons. Can anyone help me fail some classes this semester?

You could try clash of heroes if you haven't already.

On the subject of recommendations, anyone have a recommendation for a rpg-ish non-sport game that is cheap and doesn't require internet? Gotta a long plane ride ahead of me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

SquadronROE posted:

Little Inferno! Fire is awesome.
It really is. The games gets quite strange and darkly poetic especially towards the end. I've completed it and am still going back to hunt for combos and generally set things on fire. I love the attention to detail in so many things, like the iPad that makes an old Mac chime when you drop it, the Duck Hunt ducks that you can shoot by tapping them, stuff like that

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns
Little Inferno did my super cynical idea before I could. That is, making a game that denounces a genre, while making money off that genre at the same time. Ending spoilers: "THIS ENTIRE GAME WAS A POINTLESS GRIND AND STUPID WASTE OF TIME, THERE'S MORE TO LIFE THAN THIS (shouted through bullhorn at you)", while selling it for $5 a copy. Seems like a great scheme for having it both ways.

Mine was going to be an indie artsy puzzle platformer, where the ending was a looping .gif of a dog pooping.

I agree that Nimblebit way overuses pixel art. They should change to something not as overused, such as vector art. You know, like in a flash game or something.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kepa posted:

I agree that Nimblebit way overuses pixel art. They should change to something not as overused, such as vector art. You know, like in a flash game or something.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
I want to die

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Beautiful! Where can I find this unique and interesting game?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Easy to pull off if you really want to. Just try not to bring anyone else down with you.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
Somebody help me make a pixel style exit bag

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

The Biggest Jerk posted:

On the subject of recommendations, anyone have a recommendation for a rpg-ish non-sport game that is cheap and doesn't require internet? Gotta a long plane ride ahead of me :(
I'm a little short on cash atm... Any free games?

Zwilnik
Aug 1, 2007

If this game does well I'm writing Airburst next.

elmer fud posted:

SlotZ Racer 2 HD :)

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
As a programmer with the artistic skills of a table lamp, pixel art is pretty cool because there's almost a logical process behind it which makes doing it easier for me. Like how a "proper" diagonal line is supposed to be X pixels up, Y pixels across, etc. I can make things that look halfway decent and if I draw the same thing by hand it would look like dog poo poo. It just takes forever.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Pixel art is really cool when it's well-done, I don't get you haters :colbert:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

robodex posted:

Pixel art is really cool when it's well-done, I don't get you haters :colbert:

I think they're hating on the flood of not well-done pixel art

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Little Inferno is great. You get these hints from early on that it's got a dark sub-layer, and it just bubbles up slowly but surely.

I really dig it.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 5, 2013

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

elmer fud posted:

Get New Star Soccer, it's free with limited play but you can unlock the full game for 99c.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

psylent posted:

Get New Star Soccer, it's free with limited play but you can unlock the full game for 99c.

Buy the season mode right away don't stop don't think buy it play go. And maybe the extra weather/pitch dlc if you want some variety, but you may want to wait to buy that until you're a certain distance into the game so it feels like you're getting new stuff.

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!
Patiently waiting for Rollercoaster Tycoon still :(

Edit: Also, I just updated my game with a bit more content and gameplay improvements (bigger touch areas for movement etc.) New stuff includes researching and crafting traps for endless mode and capes for your character to boost stats. You also automatically use a bandage now if you are below 10 hp, so no more worrying about finding the small icon during the heat of battle :) Plus, it's still free!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/take-my-machete/id582902140?mt=8

RhysD fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 6, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Supermagical just went free. It looks pretty good? I remember reading good things.

http://appshopper.com/games/supermagical

edit: It's Bust A Move. With wizards.

vv :toughguy:

Bummey fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 6, 2013

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Supermagical just went free, along with an update that adds "cooperative online multiplayer," though I'm not sure how that could work exactly. It's a very nice little Puzzle-Bobble style game, and while there is a freemium currency it's easy to avoid paying AS LONG AS YOU KNOW TO SAVE SOME CHOCOCOINS TO BUY THE TIGER AND THE DRAGON. So, yeah, definitely give it a try but remember that you'll need a number of chococoins once you get to the "end" of each...map? Continent? Screen? I'm not sure what to call them.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Right, Supermagical. Second area, there's a level called Iron Towers. Brilliant for getting coins. Use the wizard that can blow up a line of the baddies, get the furthest back one you can, make sure to pick up all the soda. You can get like 600 coins in 3 minutes. Everywhere else blows.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
The Room also went down to $.99 cents.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Has anyone tried that new app from the Cook Serve Delicious dude? I don't remember the name. Something about sudoku mixed with minesweeper? They were talking about it on last week's Bombcast. Is it out yet?

Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010
Looks like it's called ShellBlast Forever, it's out on the AppStore. It looks interesting, but no idea if its any good or not.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Bulletproof Tiger posted:

ShellBlast Forever

I looked it up on the App Store and the first line of the description was

quote:

Described as a cross between Picross and Minesweeper,

Insta buy.

Edit: it's a pretty good puzzle game and the above description is fairly accurate.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 6, 2013

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I think I'm going to have to stop following this thread....going broke fast!!! Great recommendations thanks.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

So for anyone that's played Beastie bay, got any tips? It seems like I get food incredibly slowly and going through a dungeon kills my food stores. early in the game, leaving me with a lot of "sit on your rear end and do nothing" time.

To max out your food pretty quick, the Work stat of your critters is important. Headbands (and their upgraded things) help a lot. Make sure things that make food++ instead of wood++ are adjacent to your best beasts. IMO it's worth spending the coins (whatever the limited currency is) on upgrading your headbands so you can max out the benefit of them at all 3 levels.

And of course, more critters. Max out as fast as possible. You should seriously be capturing every single monster you find until you max out and then replace the ones with the lowest amount of Work. You're not gonna really deviate from your starting 3-6 beasts, especially once you get schools. Oh and there's kinda gently caress all difference in the work stat on beasts of different star levels for some reason. Their battle stats change, but work is pretty consistent so just get rid of crappy beasts that have low Work numbers and get better ones and they'll harvest stuff faster than you can even spend it.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

runchild posted:

Supermagical just went free, along with an update that adds "cooperative online multiplayer," though I'm not sure how that could work exactly. It's a very nice little Puzzle-Bobble style game, and while there is a freemium currency it's easy to avoid paying AS LONG AS YOU KNOW TO SAVE SOME CHOCOCOINS TO BUY THE TIGER AND THE DRAGON. So, yeah, definitely give it a try but remember that you'll need a number of chococoins once you get to the "end" of each...map? Continent? Screen? I'm not sure what to call them.

What exactly are the tiger and dragon so I know what I'm looking out for?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Tiger's 8000 and at the end of the first map area. I'm assuming the dragon's the same or that stupid epic one you can mix up with a bunch of items.

Edit: If you don't save money for the tiger, you can't move on to the second area and you'll have to somehow grind out the 8000.

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 6, 2013

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

The Biggest Jerk posted:

It's not cheap by App Store standards ($9.99), but Avadon: The Black Fortress is all the way RPG and it doesn't require internet and I think it'd be perfect for a plane ride.

There's a demo available for PC/Mac, if you want to try it first.

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?

SilverMike posted:

Tiger's 8000 and at the end of the first map area. I'm assuming the dragon's the same or that stupid epic one you can mix up with a bunch of items.

Edit: If you don't save money for the tiger, you can't move on to the second area and you'll have to somehow grind out the 8000.

Yeah I missed this part of the original post and am now 5000 short to buy the tiger after 2hrs of play. I'll probably move on to something else rather than grind that out, it's fun, but not THAT fun.

Reciprocator
Jun 26, 2002

You're not taking drugs are you? I only ask because there is a zero-tolerance policy on the island, and I wouldn't want you to have to punch yourself in the face.

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

Somebody help me make a pixel style exit bag

I'm not very good at drawing, so you'll have to finish the gas cylinder yourself.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Bummey posted:

What exactly are the tiger and dragon so I know what I'm looking out for?

They act as a sort of key to get to the next map, and you buy them when you get to the end of the map. Pretty simple. But if you've spent too many coins...

Trane posted:

Yeah I missed this part of the original post and am now 5000 short to buy the tiger after 2hrs of play. I'll probably move on to something else rather than grind that out, it's fun, but not THAT fun.

I got lucky on my play through, so I didn't have to grind at all. But it's pretty easy to do what Trane did and I don't blame him for quitting. It's just sad, because it's a great game otherwise.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Feenix posted:

Little Inferno is great. You get these hints from early on that it's got a dark sub-layer, and it just bubbles up slowly but surely.

I really dig it.

That first video you unlock is so morbid .. and I've seen it like 10 times :v:

El Hefe posted:

The Room also went down to $.99 cents.

I am so insanely stuck on this game, when I go back to it I just end up forgetting where I left off and turn it off still stuck on the same spot :(

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
What are some of the best point and click style adventure games for the iPhone? I have a nice 13 hour flight and some layovers Friday, so I need some stuff in my arsenal. On the original flight I had the first Broken Sword and that was fun, but I kept getting stuck. That's pretty much the only adventure game I've really played on my phone though, so any other thoughts?

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

cryptoclastic posted:

What are some of the best point and click style adventure games for the iPhone?
There's a bunch of Telltale stuff: The Walking Dead, Tales of Monkey Island and Sam & Max Beyond Time & Space. Then there's the HD remakes of the classic Monkey Island games (but you can toggle the old artwork too). As far as other classics go there's Flight of the Amazon Queen, Simon the Sorceror 1 & 2, Beneath a Steel Sky, etc.

City of Secrets is good fun. If you want something a bit different, check out Sword & Sworcery EP or 1112.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Definitely recommending The Walking Dead, although it's pretty different from a traditional adventure game. There's barely any inventory puzzle-solving to speak of and it's overall a very linear, dialogue-driven game-- most of your time is spent picking conversation options, and there are basically no wrong answers (or, in some cases ONLY wrong answers, if you prefer). The atmosphere and sense of tension are awesome, though, it's got the most morbid and dismal setting I've ever seen achieved in a game. Also, this is coming from someone who doesn't enjoy or really follow the TV show or the comics.

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
Is the upgrade in Pixel People that reduces the number of hearts required for a 'surprise discovery' a one-shot deal? I just noticed there are still 11 hearts up top. If so, that sucks. The game should do a better job of communicating whether or not upgrades are permanent or just one-time only.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Also seconding Walking Dead, the price of admission is a little steep for a mobile game but it's amazing. I'm playing through it on PS3 and I was literally shaking at the end of Episode 2.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
TWD was IOS game of the year last year in my book, I couldn't put it down, and anyone that I put the game in front of was hooked. I also love Sam and Max so TellTale games will deliver if that's what you are looking for.

Where do you even get these upgrades in Pixel People to lower the hearts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Duranki posted:

Is the upgrade in Pixel People that reduces the number of hearts required for a 'surprise discovery' a one-shot deal? I just noticed there are still 11 hearts up top. If so, that sucks. The game should do a better job of communicating whether or not upgrades are permanent or just one-time only.

The first one starts out filled in with the upgrade. Still a waste of my utopium, IMO.

• Locked thread