Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

I guess it depends on the scene, but I just got to the part where Lu Bu goes to him for refuge and literally the first thing Liu Bei does is offer him control of the province. :psyduck: Lu Bu doesn't even threaten him. His first words to him are "Hey, how would you like to be Imperial Protector? Here's the official seal and everything! :downs: "
It is however consistent with his own initial refusal upon Tao Qian's death, and as one of the ThreeKingdoms.com comments notes, Liu Bei effectively gained Xu Province "just" by being around while Cao Cao is away in the wake of the Yan Province conflict, a succession which immediately draws Cao Cao's ire... although Xun Yu talked Cao Cao out of immediate reprisal, why wouldn't Liu Bei try to relieve himself of the burden of his "rulership" of Xu Province making him a target and make it Lu Bu's problem? It doesn't help that "the people (supposedly) want him as their local ruler" is his only substantive asset...

It may also be that this is what was supposed to pass for "good guy" behavior in the time of the time that the "modern" incarnation of RTK (the Máo Lún and Máo Zōnggāng edit in the 1660s of the "original" 1330-1400 RTK by Luo Guanzhong)... but that we would view it as either ridiculous or, in my case, with an ulterior motive.

Also, Sparking!!! 2659 CHAIN :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Oh come on, the total body count in some shows is ridiculous. They destroyed dozens of MSs in some episodes of Gundam 00, Victory, and Wing, and then there's earlier series' that get into war scenes that have huge off-screen body counts. A Baoa Qu, Titans Colony Laser, Neo Zeon's Axis, just to name a few. There's a bunch of war scenes where a ton of mobile suits get trashed off screen, presumably because having Amuro shoot down Zaku III's for 10 minutes on the way to fight Char would be pretty boring. That's why you get stuff like Kai and Hayate trying to defend White Base and they cut to them going "OH MAN THERE'S TOO MANY OF THEM!"

You can, at the very least, sit down and make the case for Gundam Musou. The body count for a series may come nowhere near the level that it does in a single stage in a Musou game, but you can see how they can justify it. There's no filler mook fighting in Jojo, everything is boss battles. Dio doesn't have like "The Dio Force" comprised of putty men he can send out when Jotaro gets uppity, he just has 2 dozen stand dudes with unique abilities that make for really cool boss battles. Jojo better fits a fighting game or a boss rush action game than a Musou.

Are we making cases for licenses that would be well-suited for Musou adaptations?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

StevenM posted:

Are we making cases for licenses that would be well-suited for Musou adaptations?

Oh poo poo yeah. With helmet collecting.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

After spending a few days with Miiverse I would totally be down for a Musou game where I kill people on Miiverse.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

One of the sword minigames in Wii Sports Resort is pretty much Wii Musou.

It's pretty fun.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

U.T. Raptor posted:

One of the sword minigames in Wii Sports Resort is pretty much Wii Musou.

It's pretty fun.

It's actually the basis for Zelda Battle Quest in Nintendo Land as well. But your movement is controlled by the game so it's pretty restricted, and you're generally fighting no more than three... maybe five enemies at a time. There's potential there.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

10 minute presentation on One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 at Taipei Game Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OT9vWODxgQ

Also the Tecmo Koei Japanese Twitter is saying that there's going to be "big news" about Dynasty Warriors 8 this week. I can't imagine they would put that out there for more characters so maybe a new feature?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
One Piece: Pirate Warriors goes on sale tomorrow on the North American PSN.

Game will be 25 dollars and the DLC pack (whatever that means) will be 7.50. Sale will last a month.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Another neat thing about Dynasty Warriors 8 came out today through Tecmo Koei's Japanese Twitter (If I'm understanding/Google Translating it right): DW8 apparently has a "fixed processing rate" of 60 fps and hovers around 45-60 drawn fps. As long as it doesn't have that weird slowdown DW7 has then I'm happy.

Belzac posted:

One Piece: Pirate Warriors goes on sale tomorrow on the North American PSN.

Game will be 25 dollars and the DLC pack (whatever that means) will be 7.50. Sale will last a month.

Koei you MOTHER FUCKERS god drat it. That's the same loving day Ken's Rage 2 comes out and I only have $60! Well poo poo I guess $25 is worth putting up with, guess I'll forget about buying the Skyrim DLC and plunk down for Pirate Warriors 1.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Policenaut posted:

Koei you MOTHER FUCKERS god drat it. That's the same loving day Ken's Rage 2 comes out and I only have $60! Well poo poo I guess $25 is worth putting up with, guess I'll forget about buying the Skyrim DLC and plunk down for Pirate Warriors 1.

Bandai Namco is doing the sale actually. Place your hate in the right people.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Belzac posted:

Bandai Namco is doing the sale actually. Place your hate in the right people.

Sorry, it all kind of melds into one Musou melange after awhile. God drat you Bamco.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

The only thing I care about DW8 is that thanks to Ling Tong's new weapon, I'll be able to play The 36th Chamber of the Shaolin: The Videogame.

Also, this is pretty funny

Tumblr posted:

So Zhuge Dan’s new weapon is the stick he had crammed up his rear end.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

That framerate news is heartening.

I was recently reminded that DW7 actually had a pretty cool story mode. So now I'm really looking forward to seeing what they do with it in DW8. I don't think they've shown any of that off yet.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

tooooooo bad posted:

That framerate news is heartening.

I was recently reminded that DW7 actually had a pretty cool story mode. So now I'm really looking forward to seeing what they do with it in DW8. I don't think they've shown any of that off yet.

They've said it will have "what if" scenarios. That's about it. I hope they go crazy and don't do the easy things.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Also that for a stage you can choose which character you want to use, out of like three, instead of being forced into using one specific character. Like for Hefei on the Wei side I'd imagine you'd get the choice of using either Zhang Liao, Yue Jin, or Li Dian instead of just being locked into Zhang Liao.

Suben fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 5, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Trafalgar Law and Smoker are confirmed playable in One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Man Law sure has risen from humble beginnings of a ten minute throw-it-in.

Edit: According to the katakana they're gonna do the Punk Hazard arc and not just throw them in as characters. Nice.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This is great news. Law so far has been a ton more fun in the story than I originally thought he'd be. I'm already getting my wallet ready for this sequel.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
How's Kens Rage 2? Any good buzz from the jpn version?

StevenM posted:

YEssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss, astérix est là!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Honest Thief posted:

YEssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss, astérix est là!

Would Cacofonix be the only one with a friendly-fire mechanic, then?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I'm in the middle of volume 51 right now (wow did Thriller Bark suck) and I just met Trafalgar Law, and so far I'm really hopeful that he'll be cool. From the way you guys talk (and that one of you has him as an avatar) I'm guessing Law is super cool in some way. Can't wait to see how this pans out. Volume 60 is where Pirate Warriors 1 ends right? If so then I'm gonna blitz through the rest of the volumes today.

Honest Thief posted:

From what I've read and played of the Japanese version, Ken's Rage 2 fixes a lot of the problems with the story mode and introduces a bunch of new features while simultaneously scaling back certain things. Some characters have simplified move sets, some are DLC or something, but from what I'm reading Ken's Rage 2 is basically what Ken's Rage 1 should have been. So Koei pretty much made KR1 as the prototype game as everyone expected.

If you have a PS3, you can download the demo from Japan or Hong Kong's PSNs. It's in Japanese but if you play Warriors games then you'll figure it out.

edit: If you didn't like Ken's Rage 1 to some degree then you probably won't like 2 very much, the basic combat's faster and such and they took out jumping but its the same idea as before.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Feb 5, 2013

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I wasn't sure that Law would be the Supernova that I wanted to be fleshed out into a full character but they've developed him well and he's an enjoyable enough character with an interesting power. Plus he has his own :smug: den den mushi / transponder snail.

The exciting thing is that Law and Punk Hazard being in means that the game is going right up to where the story is right now. Assuming they clean up the gameplay itself, I think a new OPPW game every year or two with a "here's the new arc, and we've fleshed out some of the older stuff and added more characters" type deal would be pretty awesome.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jibo posted:

I wasn't sure that Law would be the Supernova that I wanted to be fleshed out into a full character but they've developed him well and he's an enjoyable enough character with an interesting power. Plus he has his own :smug: den den mushi / transponder snail.

The exciting thing is that Law and Punk Hazard being in means that the game is going right up to where the story is right now. Assuming they clean up the gameplay itself, I think a new OPPW game every year or two with a "here's the new arc, and we've fleshed out some of the older stuff and added more characters" type deal would be pretty awesome.

Now all I want is a version on the Xbox...

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Honest Thief posted:

I've spent the last few hours playing the U.S. release, and my feelings are actually kind of mixed. On the one hand, the core gameplay is massively improved, making the whole thing feel faster, smoother, and generally better all around. On the other, they removed Focus attacks (a mechanic I thought was pretty neat), the Meridian Chart (which I really liked), and the English voice acting. Also, one of the levels was basically a giant stealth mission.

Overall, it's much better, and if you enjoyed the first you'll probably enjoy the second, but it's not without its disappointments.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Haha, a stealth mission in a Musou game.

Well, come to think of it, Orochi 3 kinda did, where you have to free the captives and if one of the messengers sees you he runs off and you have to kill him, or else you have to...fight people? I never found out what happened if you blow it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 5, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Without even having played the game yet, let me guess. Is the stealth mission Mamiya's adventure to Medicine City?

Because if that's actually in the game then Tecmo Koei gave that character their one moment in the sun and somehow botched it.

vvv Oh then that's not actually all that bad then.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 5, 2013

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

It was inflitrating Southern Cross. It's not a very hard stealth mission (the guards only have about a 90 degree cone of sight, which is visible on the minimap), and the consequences for being seen are just a fight and a penalty to your rank, but still. A stealth mission.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Haha, a stealth mission in a Musou game.

Well, come to think of it, Orochi 3 kinda did, where you have to free the captives and if one of the messengers sees you he runs off and you have to kill him, or else you have to...fight people? I never found out what happened if you blow it.

I sort of remember one in 5XL. You played as Wei Yan and have to follow Zhuge Liang's plans perfectly, or else all of Shu withdraws and it's you vs. all of Wei. One of Zhuge's missions is to sneak up on a camp without aggroing any mooks.

Also in the Orochi 3 mission, people don't join you and you have to murder Yuan Shao too instead of just Dong Zhuo in that one. Enemy messengers are suicidal, hit me, and got countered by a high level Da Ji I was carting around for the Exp boost. 1-shotted. It's not auto fail.

Basically Musuo games do stealth missions right in a way - if you suck at sneaking or following the plans, you have a chance to brute force your way out.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

'Stealth' is the last game mechanic a musou game should ever try to indulge in. Where they shine for me (and I suspect I'm not alone) are with missions that are like the highest difficulty ones available in DW7's conquest mode- maps with 3 to 5000 grunts and every loving general in the game gunning for you.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
There was stealth stuff in SW2 during Survival Mode where you had to avoid being spotted by guards as well. You had to play through some of them in one of Mitsuhide's requests in the path that unlocked Ranmaru.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

5er posted:

'Stealth' is the last game mechanic a musou game should ever try to indulge in. Where they shine for me (and I suspect I'm not alone) are with missions that are like the highest difficulty ones available in DW7's conquest mode- maps with 3 to 5000 grunts and every loving general in the game gunning for you.

That mission where it's you against everybody else in the entire game and then Lu Bu shows up at the end :allears:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Pre-order Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires in Europe and get some free costume DLC.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Speaking of Mamiya, the fact that the game took a character who, in the original manga, served as an object example of the tragedy and futility of women trying to fight by screwing up everything she did and constantly getting bailed out by a big strong man, and turned her into death on two legs never fails to give me a warm fuzzy glow.

Seriousvly, even by the standards of '80s manga, North Star was reactionary as gently caress.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Ugh, Ken's Rage 2 is 60 dollars on the PSN. What the hell happened to Warriors Orochi 3 at $50, Koei?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Schubalts posted:

That mission where it's you against everybody else in the entire game and then Lu Bu shows up at the end :allears:
Isn't DW6 Hulao Gate also Lü Bu, Zhang Liao, Diaochan and Chen Gong versus everyone else?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I never played 6, only 6: Empires. But that sounds like a team of people! The DW7 mission is you completely alone.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Chortles posted:

Isn't DW6 Hulao Gate also Lü Bu, Zhang Liao, Diaochan and Chen Gong versus everyone else?

If you're talking about the one where it's Lu Bu and co. vs every kingdom simultaneously, plus zombie Zhang Jiao, Yuan Shao, and Dong Zhuo, that's Lu Bu's last musou mission from 6.

I think he's talking about that Conquest Mode stage from 7 where you fight all the other kingdoms, plus Lu Bu at the end.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Policenaut posted:

Ugh, Ken's Rage 2 is 60 dollars on the PSN. What the hell happened to Warriors Orochi 3 at $50, Koei?

You do however get all the dlc for free.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Selane posted:

If you're talking about the one where it's Lu Bu and co. vs every kingdom simultaneously, plus zombie Zhang Jiao, Yuan Shao, and Dong Zhuo, that's Lu Bu's last musou mission from 6.

I think he's talking about that Conquest Mode stage from 7 where you fight all the other kingdoms, plus Lu Bu at the end.

Yeah, that mission nets you Red Hare when you complete it.

At least in the most recent iteration, whatever 'stealth' parts there have been are pretty inoffensive, though that's not the same as actually being good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

randombattle posted:

You do however get all the dlc for free.

That's true, I just kinda kneejerked because I was really expecting the game to launch at $50 so I could just grab another $20 card and pick up One Piece: Pirate Warriors. The DLC is pretty sweet, as the Ken's Rage original costumes kinda suck compared to the manga ones.

In other news god drat does it take forever to download this game.