Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Just got in a 45 lb box of Kleen Mama's 3rd cut timothy hay and it's fresh like :drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Are flemish giants a decent breed for a first time rabbit owner?

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Silverfish posted:

the slowest chase ever begins - she hops about two feet away, he hops after her, tries again, she hops two feet away, he hops after her....then eventually she growls at him if he even makes eye contact with her.

This is actually a great sign that they're bonding well, because they're using appropriate social cues to discontinue unwanted behaviors. :3: Rule of thumb, don't separate till there's bloodshed. More info on intros

Khisanth Magus posted:

the "groom and then hump" is definitely bunny mating behavior.

It's also normal rabbit social/dominance behavior, not specifically mating behavior.

Saint Celestine posted:

They have more health issues than smaller rabbits, but in general large breeds are easier, more laid back, and less aggressive. They just require more space than smaller ones. I'd go with a smaller large breed like a Californian, NZW, or a big lop.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Update on the Other Bunny. I asked around and found some friends who might be willing to take a rabbit but when I asked if that acquaintance was okay with giving him up it turns out he already died. He was only like 6 and a half :smith:

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

^^^^ Jesus Christ. You're a kind soul for trying.

Saint Celestine posted:

Big ol' buns are the best buns :3:

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

RICKON WALNUTSBANE posted:

Big ol' buns are the best buns :3:

Yeah our current two are quite little, weighing in at around 1.5kg each (3.3 pounds), but I'd definitely like to get a big bun next time.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

My first bun was an 8-9 pounder. I'd set him on my bed and he'd let me snuggle him for hours. It was like he was made for the crook of my arm.

Of course he died before his time and now I have a typical English Angora that lives in a cycle :holy: :wth: :supaburn:

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Juppo seems to be getting friendlier. Last night she was bunny-flopping all over the place and today she's been sat on my bed and instead of running away or barking when I go out the room then get back into bed, she runs over the blanket to me and sniffs at me. Had her trying to shove her head under my armpit earlier :3: Keeps getting all up in my face when I'm laying down. She's getting spayed next Tuesday, now my finances are all sorted, Mum is coming up to help me out as the vet is at the other end of town and I don't want to have to subject the poor thing to 45 mins either way on a bus.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I have never in my life heard a rabbit make a barking sound. Do you have a video of this?

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I just caught Bitsy stealing chicken from the bowl of MY food I placed on the floor while I went to get some water. This isn't the first time that she has done this. Why do I have the most evil bunny in the world? She has a full bowl of food yet she hungers for meat.

Silverfish
May 23, 2005
graaaaaaaagh

alucinor posted:

This is actually a great sign that they're bonding well, because they're using appropriate social cues to discontinue unwanted behaviors. :3: Rule of thumb, don't separate till there's bloodshed. More info on intros

I was home sick from work today, so I decided to leave them together all day. No bloodshed, no fighting, lots of cuddling when I was using the hoover, some grooming, lots of bunny flopping within a few feet of each other, some chasing and some growling but not a lot.
I think we're getting somewhere.
Also Mr Rabbit decided to jump over the barrier into the hallway and hid under an armchair, I discovered this because Ms Bun started thumping non stop until I recovered and returned him. So that's good too, I guess.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Those are all REALLY good signs. If I was doing a bonding and saw all that, it would be Bunderdome time. Two buns enter, one pair leaves; they just stay together unless they ever actually tried to murder each other.

fake edit: But I have my vet on speed dial, your aversion to risk may vary.

Silverfish
May 23, 2005
graaaaaaaagh

alucinor posted:

Those are all REALLY good signs. If I was doing a bonding and saw all that, it would be Bunderdome time. Two buns enter, one pair leaves; they just stay together unless they ever actually tried to murder each other.

fake edit: But I have my vet on speed dial, your aversion to risk may vary.

Yay! This is brilliant, I'm very excited that I might actually have two buns that are happy. He's been abused in the past, and is terrified of people, and she was dumped in the street, so I really want them to have the best lives now.
I do have an exotics vet, who is brilliant with buns, but she's a bit of a drive away, however I have a vet across the street should an emergency occur.

I just hope he doesn't teach her all his bad habits, including but not limited to: preferring his litter tray upside down, flipping his food bowl upside down, and the thing where he dunks his face in his waterbowl, waits for you to bend down, then faceboops you with a wet bun face :(

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

I have never in my life heard a rabbit make a barking sound. Do you have a video of this?

Will try get one, it's more of a loud grunt I guess, but a bit higher pitched. She's also been chirping recently, which is just loving odd.

Any tips for looking after her when she's been spayed? I assume the vets will tell me but my memory is poo poo and I'm paranoid she'll take her stitches out or something because she's a dick

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
We're about to give the abused foster we've been socializing back now that she's become a loving fuzzball.

I'm so glad she's adoptable and her personality has come out, but it never gets easy to give them up, does it?

It will be nice to be back down to just our trio, though.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

luscious posted:

I just caught Bitsy stealing chicken from the bowl of MY food I placed on the floor while I went to get some water. This isn't the first time that she has done this. Why do I have the most evil bunny in the world? She has a full bowl of food yet she hungers for meat.

Well of course she did. I mean, if the food is good enough for the big, furless, awkward looking bunny it's good enough for all the other bunnies, right?

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

grack posted:

Well of course she did. I mean, if the food is good enough for the big, furless, awkward looking bunny it's good enough for all the other bunnies, right?

She loves meat.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Mine love munching on leather. I guess they're just training themselves how best to get to the meat.

My asshat also will murder you for your popsicle. Or potato chips. I don't think I've found anything they WON'T eat yet. Except for pumpkin.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

DS at Night posted:

Mine love munching on leather. I guess they're just training themselves how best to get to the meat.

My asshat also will murder you for your popsicle. Or potato chips. I don't think I've found anything they WON'T eat yet. Except for pumpkin.

There are things that Bitsy really hates but she will try anything. She loves chips, obviously fruit, peppers / whatever I'm eating, carpet.... and once they ate some rabbit fur lined moccasins.

Paterson mostly sticks to cardboard and food. He is pretty easily redirected from the wall and paper whereas Bitsy loves it.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

luscious posted:

There are things that Bitsy really hates but she will try anything. She loves chips, obviously fruit, peppers / whatever I'm eating, carpet.... and once they ate some rabbit fur lined moccasins.

You ... you keep those around rabbits? :ohdear: the horror!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Harriet finds my couch delectable

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

happyflurple posted:

Will try get one, it's more of a loud grunt I guess, but a bit higher pitched. She's also been chirping recently, which is just loving odd.

The grunting, at least, I used to hear quite a bit. My grumpy gray rabbit used to hide in the corners of my old room, with lots of places for her to hide out or scamper off on the wood floors, sounding like some terrible scratching nightmare when she tried to run, so I used to have to shoo her out of her hiding spots with the cardboard tube from a roll of wrapping paper. When she grunted, it sounded like a pig. It was hilarious. But it was also an effective way to get my other rabbit to come over and be like "GET IN THE CAGE ITS TREAT TIME!".

STONE OF MADNESS
Dec 28, 2012

PVTREFACTIO
I've been living with a lop (not technically 'mine') for 2 years now. He's always been a bit reserved, and I've tried a bunch of ways of communicating with him (besides food). Lately I've been experimenting with whistling at him - his ears always prick up and he goes hyperalert.

If I'm playing music, though, and I whistle the same melody, he totally freaks out - creeps forward as if to work out I'm the source of the sound, and then just bolts for his safe place. Anyone got any theories on why this happens/if he enjoys it or is simply terrified?

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

DS at Night posted:

Oh god, Juppo has developed a taste for leather, as evidenced by the utterly destroyed belt in the corner of my room. Just bought a pair of DMs for Christmas and I have to keep remembering to put them where she can't reach.

Yeah they do sound a bit like pigs don't they? She does the same when I have to shoo her away. Or if I'm moving furniture, she'll chase me and remain under it, like with my chairs.

Just called her name and she stopped destroying the boxes in the corner and leaped onto the bed, hope it wasn't just a coincidence.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

STONE OF MADNESS posted:

I've been living with a lop (not technically 'mine') for 2 years now. He's always been a bit reserved, and I've tried a bunch of ways of communicating with him (besides food). Lately I've been experimenting with whistling at him - his ears always prick up and he goes hyperalert.

If I'm playing music, though, and I whistle the same melody, he totally freaks out - creeps forward as if to work out I'm the source of the sound, and then just bolts for his safe place. Anyone got any theories on why this happens/if he enjoys it or is simply terrified?

You're definitely freaking him out so I wouldn't recommend it. To him it might sound like a predatory bird or something. There is one sure way of getting a rabbit's attention and that's FOOD. Parsley, dill, chervil and so on. Mine go nuts for lemon balm. Before you know it he'll be following you around the house.

And if he approaches you, try some petting. Make sure he can see it's you, and that it's your hand coming at him. Don't stick your hand out too quickly but don't do it slowly either. Act like it's the most normal thing ever. Rabbits might not be smart but they're really good at picking up on body language.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I find that Paterson will let me touch him if he sees my hand first and I move it towards him slowly. If the hand comes from above it really upsets him - even if he enjoys his rubs.

Hand feeding is a bonding exercise as well but Paterson doesn't really communicate with me. Sometimes he will walk to the edge of his blankets in a "moment of clarity" and will actually communicate with me but then it's gone as fast as it showed up and he's back to never leaving his box tunnel.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

My rabbits decided to take the time I spent watching the super bowl with my family to eat part of a plastic bag that was full of hay and near their enclosure. Now, I dont mind the hay they got into, but a probably 4inch square of plastic is gone. What is the normal procedure for this? They have chewed through unsecured wires and LAN cords and stuff before with no ill effects, and it was a hay bag so I figure they just got too far into chewing through things into deliciousness, but is the plastic just going to pass like usual, or should I call the vet and be ready to drive them over there?

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

I seriously wonder if Juppo pees right next to the towel on my bed on purpose. Literally right next to it. Now she's annoyed because the duvet is in her way.

Rabbits are utter dicks. She's so cute though I can't stay mad

edit: that and she's getting spayed tomorrow. Vets just rang to remind me, which was nice. They got my surname right, which is an odd one to work out how to pronounce, and they got her's right as sadly in my accent her name can sound kinda like a racial epithet. Which I didn't realise until people kept looking aghast when I told them her name. Oops. Still, her name suits her. Mate wanted to call her Shadow but I told him to gently caress off, ha. I'm going to tell him I registered her as Princess Fluffybottom when he gets here.

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 4, 2013

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Lobsterboy posted:

My rabbits decided to take the time I spent watching the super bowl with my family to eat part of a plastic bag that was full of hay and near their enclosure. Now, I dont mind the hay they got into, but a probably 4inch square of plastic is gone. What is the normal procedure for this? They have chewed through unsecured wires and LAN cords and stuff before with no ill effects, and it was a hay bag so I figure they just got too far into chewing through things into deliciousness, but is the plastic just going to pass like usual, or should I call the vet and be ready to drive them over there?

I'd say keep a VERY close eye on how they're pooping and eating for the next week or so. GI blockage is the main (probably only?) possible issue here so as long as they're pooping fine you know they chewed their plastic properly.

Depending on how far away and expensive your vet is I would say go there just to be sure. They can give them some paraffin to make sure nothing gets stuck. And then you have two rabbits having horrible mushy oily poop explosions for the next day.

The joy of owning rabbits \:haw:/

edit: whatcha doing whatcha doing whatcha doing whatcha doing whatcha doing

DS at Night fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 4, 2013

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Goddamn guilt-tripping rabbit has suddenly turned into the world's friendliest bunny and I'm feeling bad she's gonna get spayed tomorrow, even though it's for her own good. She's been following me everywhere and she literally runs to me whenever I call her name, it's crazy.

That said, I can hear her trying to escape but she can't so I'll leave her to it for now.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

DS at Night posted:

I'd say keep a VERY close eye on how they're pooping and eating for the next week or so. GI blockage is the main (probably only?) possible issue here so as long as they're pooping fine you know they chewed their plastic properly.

Depending on how far away and expensive your vet is I would say go there just to be sure. They can give them some paraffin to make sure nothing gets stuck. And then you have two rabbits having horrible mushy oily poop explosions for the next day.

They got extra romaine leaves, which usually causes terrible poops anyways, but so far its been a bountiful litter box. I have to echo whoever said that way earlier in the thread, nothing makes you happier than tons of poop. Rabbits! :haw:

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Yep yep, am anxiously awaiting rabbit poop myself.

There's a sentence I never expected to type.

Juppo is back from her op and seems to be alright. She's still pretty lethargic but I got her to eat a few fresh herbs and she's been sniffing round her hay. The vets were really good, was still nervous all day though. So yeah just gonna keep an eye on her tonight, think she's a bit confused cos her cage has been disinfected and whatnot. Got a blanket that smells like her over the top of the cage though. Hate not being able to have her out, wanna cuddle the poor thing so bad :(

grack
Jan 10, 2012

happyflurple posted:

Hate not being able to have her out, wanna cuddle the poor thing so bad :(

It's for the best. She'll be a little incontinent until the anaesthetic wears off.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper

Saint Celestine posted:

The best rabbit breed, imo. I might be a bit biased after having them for the past several years, though. They are easily trained, laid back, affectionate, and outgoing. Big ol' surfer dude bunnies. They need a lot of space and eat a ton but otherwise are amazing pets.

My magpie Flemish, Jeepers Peepers:

He gets along great with all of my other pets, always is doing tricks for treats, and will let you love on him as long as you want to. My previous Flem was just as lovely.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What sort of cage/pen setup do you have for him? I want to get rabbits again later on, but since I'll be living alone and gone most of the day, I was thinking about a pair of Flemish giants. I'd heard they're easygoing, but I want to get a pair so they don't get lonely. (It wasn't an issue with my last rabbit since I was in a shared house). My concern is that two of them might take too much space to be able to comfortably keep in an apartment.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

grack posted:

It's for the best. She'll be a little incontinent until the anaesthetic wears off.

Ahh, glad I left her in then, ha.

She seems good today. More alert, she's not really touching her pellets but she's eaten a bit of fresh veg and some herbs and she's pooped so all is well :)

edit: Out of interest, how long should I wait before letting her roam free again? There's nothing in here she could catch herself on, but she's prone to taking a running leap at my bed. She's stitched internally according to her vet but I dunno if that makes any difference.

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 6, 2013

grack
Jan 10, 2012

It wouldn't hurt to give her 24 hours or so, but it should be fine. Rabbits, like other rodents, heal very quickly outside of gut problems.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV Sounds like she's right back to normal.

grack fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 6, 2013

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Good to know, thanks :)

Edit: I went to feed Juppo just now and she escaped. She jumped up on to my bed and then she pissed on me. Need to herd her back in.

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 6, 2013

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

grack posted:

It wouldn't hurt to give her 24 hours or so, but it should be fine. Rabbits, like other rodents, heal very quickly outside of gut problems.

Rabbits aren't rodents dammit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The Hebug posted:

Rabbits aren't rodents dammit!

Yeah yeah yeah, lagomorphs. Very similar, though.