Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Sometimes, the Internet captures reality perfectly: "Felicidades! Cristina Rodriguez is named Yale’s first Latina tenured law professor in the history of the school. Also, it’s 2013."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

The Warszawa posted:

Sometimes, the Internet captures reality perfectly: "Felicidades! Cristina Rodriguez is named Yale’s first Latina tenured law professor in the history of the school. Also, it’s 2013."

I had her for 1L Leg/Reg, her exam involved reading like 20 pages of legislative history and signing statements for a hypothetical bill

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Bro Enlai posted:

I had her for 1L Leg/Reg, her exam involved reading like 20 pages of legislative history and signing statements for a hypothetical bill

Yeah, she won't have taught a class by the time I graduate despite this being a "priority" for the school since before I got here. That exam owns though, I've always liked exams like that. My 1L Civ Pro exam was just "here are the briefs in Dukes, you have 8 hours" and then related stuff.

But considering the importance of mentors at a school like Yale which is basically a feudal conglomerate of professorial fiefdoms with no real helpful central apparatus having a Latino/a prof is an unequivocal necessity if we're even going to pretend that minority students have close to the same opportunities as white students.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The Warszawa posted:

Yeah, she won't have taught a class by the time I graduate despite this being a "priority" for the school since before I got here. That exam owns though, I've always liked exams like that. My 1L Civ Pro exam was just "here are the briefs in Dukes, you have 8 hours" and then related stuff.

My Civ Pro prof did the same except it was "here are some briefs from Jonathan Lee Riches, have fun." :catdrugs:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Soylent Pudding posted:

My Civ Pro prof did the same except it was "here are some briefs from Jonathan Lee Riches, have fun." :catdrugs:

This is the best exam. Bonus points if he sues your law prof and some random celeb for something.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Bro Enlai posted:

Answer: legislative history is worthless. Apply the text as how I, the judge and a totally reasonable interpreter without any bias, understand it.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Mine is "sec " (with the space)

s* is clearly the best

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Green Crayons posted:

Mine is "SS" because wouldn't you have problems when you're spelling words with double S's?

It has to be its own word (*space* ss *space*) to register. The thing that gets my dander up is (c) autocorrecting to the copyright mark.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Who are you kidding? There are grads from good schools who would kill for that, just to be able to call themselves a lawyer.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
I write the LSAT this Saturday. Hopefully practice tests are actually indicative of something... Then again if I do poorly I won't be able to go to law school so it's win-win

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
this kneel before zog joker in the legal questions thread is the best

Huxian
Nov 12, 2008

"It's not just the swearing either. She's got quick fists too."

WaveLength posted:

I write the LSAT this Saturday. Hopefully practice tests are actually indicative of something... Then again if I do poorly I won't be able to go to law school so it's win-win

They usually are. I pretty much scored exactly my average score, although your predicted score is usually supposed to be several points below your average, due to test day factors, etc.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

insanityv2 posted:

this kneel before zog joker in the legal questions thread is the best

Trying to figure out if he's real.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
When he posted that he believed the water under the tub liner was a feature of the tub I knew it had to be a troll. Then he kept posting and I wasn't sure again.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
In fairness to him, mold comes in like 1000 different flavours, most of it harmless. Seeing some black residue on / near your bathroom isn't necessarily a big deal, it's probably mildew or some harmless form of mold. If it's just the wife that's sick and no one else in the house, it's probably more of the brand of bored lazy hypochondriac wife with "fibromyalgia" looking for a way not to work and blaming something that's legally convenient. In terms of actual causation, I'm pretty doubtful someone could be sick for a year and a half because of some mold in the bathroom without getting sick to the point of requiring an intervention or moving out

Legal causation, however...

edit: pfft some mod just made that dude stop posting :(

crazy dude come post here, we'll give you the inside track on how lawyers conspire to raise litigation fees and how to avoid the worst of it.

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 4, 2013

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

terrorist ambulance posted:

Seeing some black residue on / near your bathroom isn't necessarily a big deal, it's probably mildew or some harmless form of mold.

Maybe... but they said it was reported to them as potential black mold, they tried to abate it, and they know they failed to get it all. It can't get any better for the potential plaintiff's attorney. Plus I bet not reporting that abatement attempt to insurance invalidates the coverage on a mold claim.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-twenty-year-drop.html

"The twenty-year drop"

Looks sort of cyclical right ? Well actually since the total pool of college students has been growing significantly better measures are...

... all terrible.

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 4, 2013

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
guys its cyclical ok?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323926104578276301888284108.html

thats why all these universities have decided to open up new law schools!

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Jacobin posted:

http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-twenty-year-drop.html

"The twenty-year drop"

Looks sort of cyclical right ? Well actually since the total pool of college students has been growing significantly better measures are...

... all terrible.

Yeah, but, assuming I'm reading it accurately, arguably the figures don't prove much in any direction, since the population of undergraduate students has changed significantly as well. The University of Phoenix alone, for example, now graduates thousands of undergraduate students every year, and I suspect very few of those apply to law school.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

nm posted:

Trying to figure out if he's real.

I haven't read any of the posts but the last episode of Suits came to mind based on the username.

http://www.usanetwork.com/series/suits/features/president/

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I haven't read any of the posts but the last episode of Suits came to mind based on the username.

http://www.usanetwork.com/series/suits/features/president/

Thank you.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
You know, sometimes I wish Barbri's "graded" essays consisted of something other than just telling you how your answer is different from the sample answer on the next page.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 4, 2013

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Angry Grimace posted:

You know, sometimes I wish Barbri's "graded" essays consisted of something other than just telling you how your answer is different from the sample answer on the next page.

You can say what you will about BarBRI not providing value for money, but I think they have a good reading of how all those bar exam graders read and grade your essays. It doesn't matter if you're the reincarnation of Learned Hand. If your points aren't in an obvious IRAC format, it's going to be hard for them to pay enough attention you to give you full or partial credit.

You want as many points as you can in case you encounter a subject area that has slipped your mind come test time, so just game the system the way they're telling you to game the system.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

TyChan posted:

You can say what you will about BarBRI not providing value for money, but I think they have a good reading of how all those bar exam graders read and grade your essays. It doesn't matter if you're the reincarnation of Learned Hand. If your points aren't in an obvious IRAC format, it's going to be hard for them to pay enough attention you to give you full or partial credit.

You want as many points as you can in case you encounter a subject area that has slipped your mind come test time, so just game the system the way they're telling you to game the system.

Dear lord change your avatar if you are going to post in any thread which I visit

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TyChan posted:

If you can't do IRAC by the time you get to the Bar Exam, you're probably hopeless in the first place.

As for the second thing, they don't really tell me anything. They just point out, for example, "well the sample answer has a section for Robbery." Well, no poo poo, I can see that. They don't say, "you would get more points if you argued both sides in your analysis" or "when the facts are this obvious, don't argue both sides, it consumes too much time." They just uniformly refer to whatever the sample answer contains, in which case I could just read the sample answer since you know, its on the next page.

I'm sort of skeptical of the point system they use as well. My particular program has something like 20 graded essays, so I used a subject I already know well (a Real Property essay) to basically copy every argument and issue in the model answer in my own words and it scored a 70. I find it unlikely the standard for a 70 on the Bar Exam is a virtual copy of the model answer.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Angry Grimace posted:

If you can't do IRAC by the time you get to the Bar Exam, you're probably hopeless in the first place.

As for the second thing, they don't really tell me anything. They just point out, for example, "well the sample answer has a section for Robbery." Well, no poo poo, I can see that. They don't say, "you would get more points if you argued both sides in your analysis" or "when the facts are this obvious, don't argue both sides, it consumes too much time." They just uniformly refer to whatever the sample answer contains, in which case I could just read the sample answer since you know, its on the next page.

I'm sort of skeptical of the point system they use as well. My particular program has something like 20 graded essays, so I used a subject I already know well (a Real Property essay) to basically copy every argument and issue in the model answer in my own words and it scored a 70. I find it unlikely the standard for a 70 on the Bar Exam is a virtual copy of the model answer.

From years of reading this thread, my recollection is that they grade much tougher than the actual exam.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

MoFauxHawk posted:

From years of reading this thread, my recollection is that they grade much tougher than the actual exam.

They outright admit that the Simulated MBE they give is intentionally more difficult than the true MBE. The results on the MBE vs. the essay results made me even more skeptical given I got a 140 (93rd percentile nationally) on their Simulated MBE, but my essay scores are only marginally in the passing range.

I suppose my point is that for the price they charge, I'd appreciate less CYA and more straight talk. I mean, sure, I can determine for myself by looking through sample answers and such that I know Civil Procedure in enough detail to pass pretty much any essay on it, but I think that shouldn't really be my job, it should be Barbri's given the price tag on the service.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 5, 2013

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

They outright admit that the Simulated MBE they give is intentionally more difficult than the true MBE. The results on the MBE vs. the essay results made me even more skeptical given I got a 140 (93rd percentile nationally) on their Simulated MBE, but my essay scores are only marginally in the passing range.

I suppose my point is that for the price they charge, I'd appreciate less CYA and more straight talk. I mean, sure, I can determine for myself by looking through sample answers and such that I know Civil Procedure in enough detail to pass pretty much any essay on it, but I think that shouldn't really be my job, it should be Barbri's given the price tag on the service.

Their job is to cause you to pass, not teach you any nuance. If they trick you into being over prepared, then great.

They already tricked you into over-studying the property outline. You even went so far as to restate the whole thing in your own words. Sounds like they are doing a great job.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Your mental health doesn't help their pass rate. What does help their pass rate is ensuring that you're on edge enough to keep studying constantly (and from your posting, it sounds like it's working).

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Angry Grimace, like I said before, I understand the frustration.

As Sir John Falstaff touches on, it's really more about the process and being prepared for the format of the exam than actually getting the law right. If you have all the substantive knowledge in your head down for something like Civ Pro, then count that as a testament to your own initiative.

The people I knew who failed the bar exam weren't stupid or lazy. They just weren't able to deal with conveying information quickly and super-clearly in light of the exam format (or being wrong in a cheesy way that got you partial credit), the stress of being in a room with that many other neurotic jerks, and the time limitations. The less I viewed it as a real test of how good a legal scholar I was and more like a series of exercises I needed to be prepared for, the better the whole ordeal felt for me. From what I read occasionally online about people who have had to restudy for the bar exam (and who, thankfully, eventually passed), this seems to be the more common problem for those poor souls who have to take the exam 2+ times.

Other people's experiences may differ, though.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

HolySwissCheese posted:

Their job is to cause you to pass, not teach you any nuance. If they trick you into being over prepared, then great.

They already tricked you into over-studying the property outline. You even went so far as to restate the whole thing in your own words. Sounds like they are doing a great job.

This was my experience doing their course for the Washington bar, which is nothing but essays. It was all wake up --> go to class --> go back --> make flashcards --> do essays --> play Civ IV --> sleep.

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
Getting the format down is a lot more important than knowing the actual law. I passed the CA bar and I completely made up divorce law and ethics law.

I was so sure I failed.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
if you're in michigan, you're going to fail the essay part anyway so make sure you get 160+ on the MBE to compensate

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
What you have to understand is that these tests are being graded by chimpanzees. So what makes more sense, teaching you high level logic and keen insightful analysis, or how to draw pictures of bananas over and over until it is perfect? You don't need to understand why your drawing of a banana doesn't excite the chimps, you just need to be taught how to draw a banana that excites the chimps.

Or something. loving chimps.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 5, 2013

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Your mental health doesn't help their pass rate. What does help their pass rate is ensuring that you're on edge enough to keep studying constantly (and from your posting, it sounds like it's working).

My wife would disagree. I've progressed quite a bit in World of Warcraft since Barbri started. My problem is that I don't need to be tricked like a scared child into studying more because I give enough of a poo poo to try and pass the exam. The fact they bullshit all their students does nothing for me because its so wildly transparent.

The bigger problem is that it outright wastes my time to have them pretend I'm failing Civil Procedure because either a) I'm going to be tricked and spend time on it instead of something I legitimately don't know (e.g. Corporations) or b) I have to do all the work myself to figure out that I'm hitting all of the issues and rules. (No, I don't need Barbri's help on how to do something as dumb-easy as "writing answer in IRAC")

HolySwissCheese posted:

No, not the property outline, just the model answer to that specific question. They had assigned three straight Warranty of Habitability questions, which kind of made it pointless to actually do that one. All I did was write the answer myself and then add in every trifling issue in that answer to my own.

In the end, yes, I will concede I'm basically bitching fruitlessly about something I can't change.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 5, 2013

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Angry Grimace posted:

My wife would disagree. I've progressed quite a bit in World of Warcraft since Barbri started. My problem is that I don't need to be tricked like a scared child into studying more because I give enough of a poo poo to try and pass the exam. The fact they bullshit all their students does nothing for me because its so wildly transparent.

The bigger problem is that it outright wastes my time to have them pretend I'm failing Civil Procedure because either a) I'm going to be tricked and spend time on it instead of something I legitimately don't know (e.g. Corporations) or b) I have to do all the work myself to figure out that I'm hitting all of the issues and rules. (No, I don't need Barbri's help on how to do something as dumb-easy as "writing answer in IRAC")

No, not the property outline, just the model answer to that specific question. They had assigned three straight Warranty of Habitability questions, which kind of made it pointless to actually do that one. All I did was write the answer myself and then add in every trifling issue in that answer to my own.

In the end, yes, I will concede I'm basically bitching fruitlessly about something I can't change.

Relax homes, this is just redirected Bar Exam stress. You'll be fine.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
I want to criticize but I'm sure I was just as disgusting and awful during my bar studying.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Angry Grimace posted:

stop

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Leif. fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone got a good resource for working overseas? Getting a lot of advice to head to China, but I wouldn't know where to begin to find a job.