Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Most of the things you described: tail tight around her, arched walk, bald patch, and hiding can all signify stress or hypertension. First off, are you sure that the patch was from your wife and that the cat didn't do it? Cats do create bald patches when something is wrong. More often its a skin condition but once my cat did it purely on emotion(cats outside yowling and he wanted to :black101: them). Did the vet do any tests or was it just a look-over type of visit? Any major changes around the house? Note that sometimes moving a bed is a big loving deal to a cat.

Other than that, If everything is okay, let your cat dictate when to play and when to be petted. Sounds like she was under a lot of stress and wanted to just relax and not be bothered for a bit. Yeah, its hard for us, but if everything is healthy then what she may want/need is space.

e: Stress/tension I meant.

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Most of the things you described: tail tight around her, arched walk, bald patch, and hiding can all signify stress or hypertension. First off, are you sure that the patch was from your wife and that the cat didn't do it? Cats do create bald patches when something is wrong.

Yeah, we think the cat did that. No way my wife went down to the skin, and she had balded up a bit of her tail and one of her hind legs before we could collect her from the shelter. And no, the vet didn't do any tests, just checked the stomach, back and abdomen and we realised she was behaving normally again.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Topoisomerase posted:

What is causing the anemia?

Possibly the leukemia. We don't know if its in first stages or jumped quickly to advanced.

His levels didn't drop at all for two days prior. They tested immediately before and after the transfusion.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 5, 2013

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Slickdrac posted:

Possibly the leukemia. We don't know if its in first stages or jumped quickly to advanced.

His levels didn't drop at all for two days prior. They tested immediately before and after the transfusion.

FeLV cats can be anemic not only because the virus has attacked and destroyed red blood cell production in the bone marrow, but FeLV can also lead to an immune mediated destruction of red blood cells (Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia).

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
I just took over care of an older cat (age unknown, suspected 11-13) who has major overgrooming issues. He licks and scratches until he bleeds then starts on another spot. Several trips to the vet for a steroid shot, deworming, antibiotic, blood work (everything came back normal), and flea medicine have had basically had no effect. He's on Solid Gold Indigo Moon and is part of a 2 cat household with another cat he gets along fine with (they're cuddling now but his grooming is clearly annoying his cat friend). What should I try next? I was thinking of changing his food to the wellness and getting rid of my rug/cloth chair in case there's some dust mites... but beyond that, I'm at a total loss. The vet doesn't seem to know what to do either and I've already dropped more than I can afford on the situation. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated, I just want him to have good quality of life!

edit: I should say he's an appropriate weight, has a good appetite, is very friendly, and loves to play/be active. The overgrooming has apparently been going on for years but its severity comes and goes.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 5, 2013

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Slickdrac posted:

Oh, I didn't read back to realize that the cat is FeLV+. Sorry about that!

Has he had a transfusion prior to this?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

Oh, I didn't read back to realize that the cat is FeLV+. Sorry about that!

Has he had a transfusion prior to this?

He had a transfusion Saturday with expired blood. That took him from 7 to 15. we don't actually know if he is in the advanced stage for sure. We're trying to either give him a good fighting chance, or at least a few weeks of happy comfort so he doesn't go suffering.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Slickdrac posted:

He had a transfusion Saturday with expired blood. That took him from 7 to 15. we don't actually know if he is in the advanced stage for sure. We're trying to either give him a good fighting chance, or at least a few weeks of happy comfort so he doesn't go suffering.

A non-hemolytic cat over multiple transfusions may start to develop antibodies to the transfused RBC's, and I'd think that in a cat that possibly already has some level of RBC destruction, this effect may be more pronounced.

Another issue is taking the PCV so soon after the transfusion - I wouldn't personally rely so much on that, would maybe wait a couple of hours. You're putting the cat in a pretty odd physiological state, and the cat's body might need a bit of time to sort out what to do with this influx of RBC's and may decide to hide some away in the spleen for lack of a better phrase, to keep its current homeostatic mechanisms intact...

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

A non-hemolytic cat over multiple transfusions may start to develop antibodies to the transfused RBC's, and I'd think that in a cat that possibly already has some level of RBC destruction, this effect may be more pronounced.

Another issue is taking the PCV so soon after the transfusion - I wouldn't personally rely so much on that, would maybe wait a couple of hours. You're putting the cat in a pretty odd physiological state, and the cat's body might need a bit of time to sort out what to do with this influx of RBC's and may decide to hide some away in the spleen for lack of a better phrase, to keep its current homeostatic mechanisms intact...

Thanks for the info. We're getting his blood checked again here shortly, and again this weekend. He's got more energy now then he did before the second transfusion, and MUCH more color back in his ears, paws and mouth.

Hopefully if it keeps dropping, its slow enough we can end the decline before he gets down to single digits again. Or more hopefully, it will stay stable/go up with the steroids and antibiotics.

Or that both of them aren't in the advanced stage yet, and he's just taking it rough right now.

Edit: He's now up to 17 about 15 hours after the transfusion

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 5, 2013

North of Gravity
Jun 30, 2007

did y0u pr0gram this r0b0t t0 have feelings f0r y0u?
R0MANTIC FEELINGS???

D --> Is that not ok
Oh jeez Slickdrac, I'm sorry to hear that your boy has had such a rough go of it. I hope he stabilizes soon. :(

We went to the shelter this morning to finally bring a cat home. The tabby that I loved was apparently adopted on Saturday. I'm glad he has a new home even if I didn't get to have him. Instead, we ended up leaving with this guy.

We're calling him Gollum because he gurgles when he purrs. He's already very comfortable in our apartment -- he isn't skittish at all and has been very affectionate and calm this whole time. He's a total cuddle-whore.

He was already declawed when he was brought to the shelter. Even though it sucks that whoever owned him before had him declawed, it is sort of a relief not to have to worry about him tearing up the sofa now. He's neutered and microchipped as well, and we're taking him to the vet for a checkup later this week.

And the best part is that I haven't started sneezing at all yet. :)

Cruxxed Up
Mar 30, 2011

Now you've done it.

North of Gravity posted:

We went to the shelter this morning to finally bring a cat home. The tabby that I loved was apparently adopted on Saturday. I'm glad he has a new home even if I didn't get to have him. Instead, we ended up leaving with this guy.

We're calling him Gollum because he gurgles when he purrs. He's already very comfortable in our apartment -- he isn't skittish at all and has been very affectionate and calm this whole time. He's a total cuddle-whore.

He was already declawed when he was brought to the shelter. Even though it sucks that whoever owned him before had him declawed, it is sort of a relief not to have to worry about him tearing up the sofa now. He's neutered and microchipped as well, and we're taking him to the vet for a checkup later this week.

And the best part is that I haven't started sneezing at all yet. :)

Eee, it looks like someone colored his nose in with a marker!

My issue:
One of my cats has found a new way of giving me panic attacks, in which he jumps onto and then paces back and forth on the stairwell banister that is on the top landing overlooking the foyer and is about...oh, 25 feet or more above the wooden floor. I'm roughly estimating, but it's pretty high. This JUST started a week ago, and I have no idea why, other than to drive me crazy. He's really skittish about sudden movements, so trying to pick him up off the railing is impossible. Is there anything I can do about this, other than hoping he just gets bored with it before something bad happens? I don't have much faith in the saying that cats have perfect balance and land on their feet because my mom's old cat once fell off the railing of her loft studio of about a similar height, landed badly, and had a bad back and slight limp for the rest of her life. And that was from falling onto a carpet, so I'm pretty agitated about this.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

North of Gravity posted:

We're calling him Gollum because he gurgles when he purrs.

Audio Catte data requested. For... health evaluation purposes.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

One of my other cats (presumably) hit Snorch in the face when I wasn't home, and his inner eyelid is torn. There's a little bit hanging off like a hangnail. He seems totally fine, his eye moves, pupil reacts. The inner eyelid is very slightly reddened along the wound, and he had some small reddish crusties on his face. I gave him some leftover erythromycin ointment.

Do I need to take him to the e-vet? Or the regular vet? Or should I keep an eye on him, see if it gets worse, and keep applying ointment for 7 days?

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Drink and Fight posted:

One of my other cats (presumably) hit Snorch in the face when I wasn't home, and his inner eyelid is torn. There's a little bit hanging off like a hangnail. He seems totally fine, his eye moves, pupil reacts. The inner eyelid is very slightly reddened along the wound, and he had some small reddish crusties on his face. I gave him some leftover erythromycin ointment.

Do I need to take him to the e-vet? Or the regular vet? Or should I keep an eye on him, see if it gets worse, and keep applying ointment for 7 days?

You should take him to the vet so that it can be stained +/- repair of eyelid. It can be hard to see if the cornea is scratched without stain and that very much affects the treatment. The sooner the better for getting them in for eye issues because things that seem minor can go south quickly. Best case scenario, you're out a few bucks but have peace of mind.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

update on Mirabelle the scaredy-cat: :3:

She was out in the apartment when we came home last night (she knows the sound of the keys, obviously) and only went back under the bed when we both came in. Then she was on top of the bed for most of the evening unless we came in the bedroom.

We went to the pet pharmacy in town and picked up some herbal "resuce" drops (helianthemum nummularium, clematis vitalba, impatiens glandulifera, prunus cerasifera, ornithogalum umbellatum) and some dried fish treats. We gave her a couple treats under the bed and decided to wait on the drops since she had come out a little and also we were going to bed.

This morning, she was almost back to her old self! Chasing and playing with her toys, but still running away when my wife came around. She put a couple of drops on a fish treat and gave it to her and now a couple hours later Mirabelle is still playing and even crawling into my lap. Yay!

ed: they were also giving away samples of ZiwiPeak cat food, this stuff looks really good!

greazeball fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 6, 2013

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
This morning around 4 am I heard my cat, Oreo, vomiting a couple of times. When I got up at 6 I discovered there was also little spots of diarrhea everywhere as well. For the next hour he kept changing locations, leaving spots of poop and occasionally vomiting and making grumbling noises. I also discovered that at some point before I got up he had peed on a pillow that was on the ground. About a half hour ago he left a bunch of solid poop behind and since then has pretty much calmed down and is just lying down in the hallway.

More specific info:
- Age 14
- Sex male
- How long have you had your cat? 7 years
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? yes
- What food do you use? 1st Choice dry food for older cats and normally holistic select wet food BUT I picked up Wellness instead 2 days ago
- When was your last vet visit? 2 years ago
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? indoor
- How many pets in your household? 1 other cat (who I will mention was throwing up yesterday)
- How many litter boxes do you have? 2

Could this just be a reaction to the Wellness since he isn't used to it? Should I take his resting now as a good sign? I intend to call the vet when they open but I am freaking out a little.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Zratha posted:

This morning around 4 am I heard my cat, Oreo, vomiting a couple of times. When I got up at 6 I discovered there was also little spots of diarrhea everywhere as well. For the next hour he kept changing locations, leaving spots of poop and occasionally vomiting and making grumbling noises. I also discovered that at some point before I got up he had peed on a pillow that was on the ground. About a half hour ago he left a bunch of solid poop behind and since then has pretty much calmed down and is just lying down in the hallway.

More specific info:
- Age 14
- Sex male
- What food do you use? 1st Choice dry food for older cats and normally holistic select wet food BUT I picked up Wellness instead 2 days ago
- How many pets in your household? 1 other cat (who I will mention was throwing up yesterday)

Could this just be a reaction to the Wellness since he isn't used to it? Should I take his resting now as a good sign? I intend to call the vet when they open but I am freaking out a little.

In my not a vet opinion, it's okay to wait until the vet opens, but you should go to a vet today to get him checked out; the food might be giving him the shits during transition, but peeing on the pillow too is a bit odd. It could be it hurts to poop so he's moving to a more comfortable place to pee/poo.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Zratha posted:

More specific info:
- Age 14
- Sex male

With diarrhea and vomiting both happening at the same time, I would be concerned if he is dehydrated from all of that. So, yes to vet.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

duckfarts posted:

In my not a vet opinion, it's okay to wait until the vet opens, but you should go to a vet today to get him checked out; the food might be giving him the shits during transition, but peeing on the pillow too is a bit odd. It could be it hurts to poop so he's moving to a more comfortable place to pee/poo.

The moving around a lot definitely seemed like he was uncomfortable and trying to find a way to go to the bathroom. Since getting the solid stuff out he seems to be feeling a lot better and nothing more has really happened; he went to the litter box once and went a bit, and he grumbled when I spoke to him so I am just leaving him alone. he looks exhausted but is just sitting quietly.

As for the peeing on the pillow, peeing outside the litter box is what he does to let everyone know he isn't feeling well, so I think that was likely his signaling me rather than an addition problem. I am still going to call the vet though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I have a 1 1/2 year old female all black cat that used to be feral, but was tamed as a kitten. While she's sweet, and loves to sleep on our lap, she's been having an issue of chewing up a ton of stuff. It's been really bad lately. She's always had a knack for chewing on cardboard boxes, but now she's jumped up on our counter, and chewed our betta fish food package (twice!), tore up our paper towels, and now she's gotten a hold of my girlfriend's headphones, and tore up the cord. She's also had a habit of tearing up the corners of our carpet. My girlfriend is fed up with our stuff getting destroyed and wants to get rid of her (though it was her idea to get her, of course). I still really like the cat aside from her destructive behavior. We give her lots of toys, and got her a cat climber. Is there anything we can possibly do to curb this destructive behavior?

Edit: we tried feliway, no success. We also cap her claws, but she ends up tearing them out. She always seems hungry, too, so we got one of the food bowls that make a cat reach to get the food first.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 6, 2013

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

seiferguy posted:

I have a 1 1/2 year old female all black cat that used to be feral, but was tamed as a kitten. While she's sweet, and loves to sleep on our lap, she's been having an issue of chewing up a ton of stuff. It's been really bad lately. She's always had a knack for chewing on cardboard boxes, but now she's jumped up on our counter, and chewed our betta fish food package (twice!), tore up our paper towels, and now she's gotten a hold of my girlfriend's headphones, and tore up the cord. She's also had a habit of tearing up the corners of our carpet. My girlfriend is fed up with our stuff getting destroyed and wants to get rid of her (though it was her idea to get her, of course). I still really like the cat aside from her destructive behavior. We give her lots of toys, and got her a cat climber. Is there anything we can possibly do to curb this destructive behavior?

Edit: we tried feliway, no success. We also cap her claws, but she ends up tearing them out. She always seems hungry, too, so we got one of the food bowls that make a cat reach to get the food first.

Get her some toys and things to chew on. This is a pretty normal phase for a young cat. You may have to go through a few options to find something she'll prefer over the rest of the house.

vvv-catnip filled ones are great, if they react to catnip. If not, things that dangle from doors have always been my go to. Although more often than not, they prefer to chew through the string rather than the thing on the string.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 6, 2013

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Slickdrac posted:

Get her some toys and things to chew on. This is a pretty normal phase for a young cat. You may have to go through a few options to find something she'll prefer over the rest of the house.

Any suggestions on toys? We have a lot of them, but she seems to ignore playing with them.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Any suggestions on toys? We have a lot of them, but she seems to ignore playing with them.

Have you tried putting catnip on the toys to encourage her to play with them? Also don't just leave all the toys out all the time, try cycling between a few toys each week so she doesn't get bored with them.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

seiferguy posted:

Get her something she can really get her teeth into. My cats liked biting their kitty kong thing. I can't find one just like it (it was on a string and coated in blue nylon I think) but something like this might be good. Bonus points if it's big enough she can rabbit kick the hell out of it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'll see if I can find something she can sink her teeth into (with catnip). Maybe I can find something to get her to stop jumping on the counters as well.

I'm just worried that she's consistently hungry and always crying for food unless she has some at easy, yet she's getting pretty heavy as it is already. When she has food she's pretty content.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Any advice to get my cat to stop knocking over a standing lamp?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

When he does it: Spray bottle on him, shake a can of coins, LIGHTLY bop on the nose or head or by tail, tell him NO sternly while pointing at him.

He'll eventually learn.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

seiferguy posted:

I'll see if I can find something she can sink her teeth into (with catnip). Maybe I can find something to get her to stop jumping on the counters as well.

I'm just worried that she's consistently hungry and always crying for food unless she has some at easy, yet she's getting pretty heavy as it is already. When she has food she's pretty content.

Nah, some cats just want to eat ALL the food. As to the counter issue, cover your counters with painters tape, sticky side up. Its sticky enough to really bug the cat, but won't cause any harm. Its worked on both of my cats heh.

If she is ex-feral, that could explain the food obsession. After 3 years with me, being fed a good healthy diet, my dog is somewhat less of a food obsessed freak. She'll still eat everything she can, but she's much less whiney about it between meal times.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
My cat was raised in a colony with tons of food available at all times and acts like he has been literally starved for years every single time I'm in the kitchen.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

seiferguy posted:

Ozma was the same way. She was used to a high-volume low-quality diet and a belly full of parasites. Being de-wormed and given better food meant less quantity so she thought she was dying. It's been almost half a year, but she's chilled out about food and is a regular grazer.

Which would be perfect, if Pete wasn't a food vaccuum who ate her food before she finished...:sigh:

motherfish
Nov 11, 2005

On the topic of food (allergies really) does anyone have experience on how long it usually takes for an itchy cat to get less irritated skin after switching to a food that they should be able to handle better? Need to know just how long to wait before realizing it's not working and try some other brand and/or protein...

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
For food allergies, minimum of 8 weeks on the new food before calling it a failure. Some say more like 12, but definitely at least 8. One of the hardest things about diagnosing food allergies is that people tend to switch diets too quickly, leaving you not really knowing what might have worked, given enough time.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Dr. Chaco posted:

ECG is usually used more for rhythm abnormalities, but it can show some information about specific parts of the heart being enlarged. The echo I mention is different--ELECTROcardiogram vs ECHOcardiogram.

Some of the decision to have the tests done should depend on how you will use that information. If the tests say your cat has heart disease and he will die in X months, or he may develop heart failure in X years, or he's perfectly fine, will that change how you manage his condition? Do you want to know, or would you rather live in blissful ignorance until the day he shows signs of heart disease, knowing that may never happen? If the cat needed lifelong daily medication to slow or prevent progression of disease, is that something you would be willing to do, or would you opt for a shorter, non-medicated lifespan? Some people don't want an exact diagnosis for something they can't or don't want to do anything about, and that's perfectly fine. Waiting may also be an option, to see if the murmur is consistent (is it always present at appointments?) or if it's progressive at all (is it the same volume?), depending on how loud it is now.

These are the types of issues you should discuss with your vet, if they also recommend a cardiac work-up. Actually, these are the types of issues you should discuss whenever a significant diagnostic or treatment decision is on the table--what will you do with that information, if you decide to get it?

This is from a while back but wanted to thank you again for the info/advice.

I think I'm going to just wait and see right now. I'm going to take him for regular check-ups to make sure it doesn't get any worse and if/when he starts showing clinical signs of heart disease or anything like that I'll get the tests done and such. Since it's a low grade heart murmur and he's doing fine right now I'm not going to fret over it too much.

Unrelated, but kitty (I still haven't come up with a name for him yet :/) has taken to eating her older sister's food and ignoring his kitty food. Is this something I should be concerned about, or is it OK that he is eating food that isn't specifically formulated for kittens?

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Unrelated, but kitty (I still haven't come up with a name for him yet :/) has taken to eating her older sister's food and ignoring his kitty food. Is this something I should be concerned about, or is it OK that he is eating food that isn't specifically formulated for kittens?

Depends which cat food--some of them will be appropriate for kittens as well as adults.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Normal, cats are bastards.

Chaco I sort of thought the whole kitten food thing was mostly a marketing gimmick? I know kittens tend to need more food so they can grow up big and strong, but besides having more calories, is there any difference between a kitten food and an adult food? Excluding special diet foods, of course.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Eggplant Wizard posted:

...I sort of thought the whole kitten food thing was mostly a marketing gimmick? I know kittens tend to need more food so they can grow up big and strong, but besides having more calories, is there any difference between a kitten food and an adult food? Excluding special diet foods, of course.
There's a difference if it's not a premium/grain free kind of cat food. There, the "adult" cat food is more or less crappy and the "kitten" food is not as horrible. If you feed premium or grain-free, which you should be doing anyway, it's the same for all ages. Except for Royal Canin's Babycat, which has, and I quote, "special tiny kibble." http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Canin-Babycat-Formula-3-5-Pound/dp/B000YKBMSA (You shouldn't feed that anyway, as it's full of corn, but come on! Special tiny kibble!)

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 7, 2013

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

mcmagic posted:

Any advice to get my cat to stop knocking over a standing lamp?

put bricks or heavy books on the base?

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Normal, cats are bastards.

Chaco I sort of thought the whole kitten food thing was mostly a marketing gimmick? I know kittens tend to need more food so they can grow up big and strong, but besides having more calories, is there any difference between a kitten food and an adult food? Excluding special diet foods, of course.

AAFCO requires different minimum nutrient requirements for growth, for pregnancy and lactation, and for maintenance. These are minimum levels, so if a food has more than enough of everything, it can be labeled "for all life stages." Pregnancy and lactation is the toughest set of requirements, followed by growth, and then maintenance. It is true that anything beyond maintenance (ie, regular healthy adult) does need significantly more calories, but there are other factors like minerals and certain vitamins that also need to be increased and may need to be available in a higher ratio. I myself do not know all of these requirements exactly, so I go with a "growth" or "all life stages" AAFCO claim for kittens and puppies.

Jengo
Dec 16, 2006
Whats
Hi PI, I looked through the thread for my particular issue and didn’t find anything, so my apologies if it’s already been covered. I have a consistent problem with my roommate’s cat, who I have been living with since we moved in together in October. I’m going to apologize in advance for a long post…

Cat history: The cat is female and approximately seven years old, spayed and declawed. My roommate got the cat when she was working double shifts, so it wasn’t socialized well because she’d come home from work, sleep, and leave again. Nowadays she’s mommy’s little girl but her friends all told me that the cat is a bitch, and she even has relatives that have refused to go into her apartment because of this cat.

So the cat is difficult to get along with, but this is why I think she hates me: Two weeks before our lease officially started, my roommate went on vacation. During that time, I had movers that moved both mine and her furniture out of our old singles, and into the new double. I then came back on a daily basis to pick up more boxes from her place while also feeding the cat. I’m positive the cat associates me with bad things (e.g. moving, even though the cat has moved a couple times before).

Starting out, this cat used to hiss and growl any time I walked into the room. I’ve never been able to touch her without getting bit (though it’s an obvious mistake to even try). This “improved” to where she’d instead hide under tables, and come out yowling, swiping, and biting when I walked past. Nowadays her behavior has calmed down enough where she will sit in hallways and will let me walk past 50% of the time, and other times decide she wants to attack instead. Still does the table thing though.

On the somewhat plus side, when her friends come over now they say the cat’s behavior towards them has improved. And the cat has never acted out this much against them in the past – seems like I managed to amass all of the kitty hate.

Strategies we have discussed or tried…
Stamping my feet/yelling when she attacks: Thought it was working but soon realized it made her even more batshit scared of me.
Ignoring her: loving does not work. This is how I got bitten so hard that she made me bleed THROUGH MY JEANS when all I did was walk past her in the hallway.
Locking the cat up: when my roommate is over at her boyfriend’s I sometimes lock the cat in her bedroom for a couple hours for some peace and quiet. I guess it can’t hurt…
Letting me feed her: Sort of worked, but this normally occurred when my roommate would leave for a couple days and I’d be the only one around. I think the cat actually acted out more without her owner around, regardless of me feeding her.
Catnip: The cat would let me start using the cat toy and was becoming more open, but then my roommate said it was making the cat throw up and took the catnip away.
Cat toy (currently using): She plays a bit with Da Bird mouse toy. She normally stops playing/runs away once she notices I’m the one holding it though.
Feliway (currently using): Limited success. Behavior is somewhat improved.
Soothing collar (currently using): Limited success. Behavior is somewhat improved.
Greenies cat treats (currently using): Seems to like them, and I can at least use them now to lure her out of the way.
Anti-anxiety medication: This was suggested by my animal behavioralist friend (who suggested some of the other things above). Roommate flat-out refuses to med her cat.

Going into this living arrangement I was prepared to let the cat acclimate, but it’s been four months. Is it really supposed to take this long? It’s becoming an old and tiring argument with my roommate (where we don’t fight on anything else) because I guess she feels like she’s doing enough getting the collar and Feliway. Also, she is quite a bit older than me so it’s hard for me to argue things with her on a peer-to-peer basis. Regardless, it’s really frustrating to go to the bathroom at night and find the cat in there, or be going about my business during the day with her sitting in the hallway, because then I have to risk a confrontation or wait for her to move.

TL;DR my roommate’s cat is scared of and continues to attack me after four months of living together and multiple attempts to acclimate it. Need more advice before I snap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Eggplant Wizard posted:

You might be thinking of the "mature pet" type of formulas sold by commercial pet food companies.