Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

some texas redneck posted:

:wtc: seems oddly appropriate.

The part that actually makes my brain hurt is the Accord badge.

Somebody did that on purpose. Maybe Jesus told them to or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm pretty sure I met the owner too, unless he drives the other Accord in that picture.

Good tip, really nice guy when I talked to him; the only reason I suspect it may have been his is he was wearing a t-shirt from a very religious private university (said university is still in Texas). If it wasn't his car, then he owned the white 98-02 Accord in that photo - those were the only two cars parked anywhere near that building, and he mentioned he does delivery off and on... so car = necessary.

Also, the roof, hood, and trunk lid were also covered in random YAY JESUS stuff. The "Keep Austin Weird" sticker threw me off more than a bit though, you really don't see that often outside of Austin - and I've never seen it attached to a car covered in religion.

Downtown Austin is about 3 hours south of Downtown Dallas, I spotted this at the very far northern end of Dallas, so about 3.5 to 4 hours north of Auatin

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 5, 2013

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

toplitzin posted:

Are they confusing Chili's for Wal-Mart?

Maybe. It's not obvious in the picture and I forgot to mention that this car had neither a placard nor a handicapped plate. Icing on the cake.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

I'm pretty sure I met the owner too, unless he drives the other Accord in that picture.

Good tip, really nice guy when I talked to him; the only reason I suspect it may have been his is he was wearing a t-shirt from a very religious private university (said university is still in Texas). If it wasn't his car, then he owned the white 98-02 Accord in that photo - those were the only two cars parked anywhere near that building, and he mentioned he does delivery off and on... so car = necessary.

Also, the roof, hood, and trunk lid were also covered in random YAY JESUS stuff. The "Keep Austin Weird" sticker threw me off more than a bit though, you really don't see that often outside of Austin - and I've never seen it attached to a car covered in religion.

Downtown Austin is about 3 hours south of Downtown Dallas, I spotted this at the very far northern end of Dallas, so about 3.5 to 4 hours north of Auatin

Ask him why he was too lazy to EVER put a single coat of wax on the car. I just cannot grasp how people can spend thousands of dollars on a car then never ever ever do anything to maintain it.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

The painting a shitbox with random stuff is totally an Austin thing. Usually it's not religious stuff though. They're definitely an Austin transplant.

Also, Book People is an awesome book store. I can spend hours and way too much money there. If I need a book I'll make the drive downtown for that place.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

veedubfreak posted:

Ask him why he was too lazy to EVER put a single coat of wax on the car. I just cannot grasp how people can spend thousands of dollars on a car then never ever ever do anything to maintain it.

To be fair, it's hot as hell here, and 90s Hondas weren't known for great paint.

Kill-9 posted:

The painting a shitbox with random stuff is totally an Austin thing. Usually it's not religious stuff though. They're definitely an Austin transplant.

Also, Book People is an awesome book store. I can spend hours and way too much money there. If I need a book I'll make the drive downtown for that place.

You see it some in Denton as well. Not so much in Dallas.

And downtown Denton has an equally awesome book store.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

veedubfreak posted:

I've never put a single coat of wax on mine but the previous owner did body work with window screening, bondo, his thumbs, and HOUSE PAINT. At least, that's what I gather from the way it looked when I got it.

The bodywork was literally a lost cause. Maybe he wasn't the original owner and got it with already badly peeling and oxidized clearcoat?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
^^^^^^I was more referring to whoever bought the car new, spent 20+ thousand on it, then ignored maintenance completely. Although this shouldn't surprise me as some people go 10s of thousands of mile without oil changes.

To be fair, it's hot as hell here, and 90s Hondas weren't known for great paint.

You see it some in Denton as well. Not so much in Dallas.

And downtown Denton has an equally awesome book store.

Oh yes, I know the weather. I grew up in Houston. Faded and peeling clear is just one of those things that bug me.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

veedubfreak posted:

90s Hondas with that green color just start to disintegrate after so many years in the sun. The clear coat turns to powder.

I have a friend who has one and the paint is simply awful, and I know she kept it clean and waxed until it got to the point where waxing and buffing was just taking more clear coat off. The car looks like poo poo now but still drives like a champ.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
We did some electrical work on a Burning Man art golf cart today.

The owner tells me that stripper poles attach and the seats on the top deck are great for lapdances.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

DrPain posted:

The owner tells me that stripper poles attach and the seats on the top deck are great for lapdances.

The next time you want a lapdance from a Steaddite or a Ferntuckian, just let me know and I'll send them your way. :zombie:

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

DrPain posted:

Wrong thread.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Farmdizzle posted:

Wrong thread.

Oh. Maybe if you saw the bundle of exposed wiring it came in with you would understand.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

veedubfreak posted:

Oh yes, I know the weather. I grew up in Houston. Faded and peeling clear is just one of those things that bug me.
I live in the rust belt. I just try to keep the rust at bay and don't really care with how the paint looks. Best I ever did was use the wax option at the U-Wash.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
a block over from my place - redneck done wrong

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

neckbeard posted:

redneck done wrong

Thats just Tusen Takk.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

neckbeard posted:

"Goddamn Imperialist bastards, get over it, you lost the war"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Beach Bum posted:

It's decorated for a special event my SCCA Region does every year to commemorate Pearl Harbor; it's an Allies v. Axis themed thing. I couldn't find any pictures of the new paintjob and fenders he's got on it now.

EDIT: Nevermind, found one!

And now the russian version.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Shifty Pony posted:

90s Hondas with that green color just start to disintegrate after so many years in the sun. The clear coat turns to powder.

I have a friend who has one and the paint is simply awful, and I know she kept it clean and waxed until it got to the point where waxing and buffing was just taking more clear coat off. The car looks like poo poo now but still drives like a champ.

A friend of mine bought that same generation Accord brand new (I want to say his is a 94 or 95). 5 speed, EX, leather. He still has it, and despite meticulous care... the paint looks exactly how you describe. Interior still looks new, and he only has a bit over 100k on it now, so it's just barely broken in.

The 98-02 Accords also had issue with clearcoat on the green cars - and black, as well.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

neckbeard posted:

Very familiar neighbourhood there--Bonnie Doon?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

neckbeard posted:

The flag's the right way round, which is more than most people can manage.

Beach Bum posted:

"Goddamn Imperialist bastards, get over it, you lost the war"
You learned to keep fire extinguishers in the White House yet?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

InitialDave posted:

Were fire extinguishers even a thing back then?

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

A friend of mine bought that same generation Accord brand new (I want to say his is a 94 or 95). 5 speed, EX, leather. He still has it, and despite meticulous care... the paint looks exactly how you describe. Interior still looks new, and he only has a bit over 100k on it now, so it's just barely broken in.

The 98-02 Accords also had issue with clearcoat on the green cars - and black, as well.

My 94 civic was black and the same issue. And the rear wheel well rust.

And I would buy another in an instant if I could find an unmolested one

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

InitialDave posted:

:golfclap:

donut
Feb 4, 2001

DrPain posted:

As a bike mechanic that has to deal with burner bikes covered in dusty rear end fur every summer, I feel your pain so hard on this.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

This turned up for a go on the dyno at a place my friend works at. Ford Probe with (the dude said) 30k of stage 3 mods done to it.

quote:

After making a hell of a lot of noise, it managed a peak power of... Wait for it... 194.6bhp at the wheels.

So ugly as sin and not very impressive either. Someone else worked out that as the standard V6 Probe came with 164bhp the guy has spent a grand per hp on top. Ouch.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:lol: I was thinking "That's not TOO bad" until I scrolled down to the text.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

88h88 posted:

This turned up for a go on the dyno at a place my friend works at. Ford Probe with (the dude said) 30k of stage 3 mods done to it.

So ugly as sin and not very impressive either. Someone else worked out that as the standard V6 Probe came with 164bhp the guy has spent a grand per hp on top. Ouch.

During my first trip to the drag strip with my Supra I got passed by a guy in a Probe.

At the track I located him and found out he was running a turbocharger with some upgrades, and was dying to get into the 13's. He ran a 14.03 on his first run, and on his second he blew a headgasket and dumped a ton of coolant all over the track.

Poor kid :(

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 7, 2013

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

88h88 posted:

I'm not trying to defend the guy but the old KL-DE made 164bhp at the crank, not fwhp. So I guess there was some money dumped into it. :unsmith:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Also, i-MiEV is the most annoying name for a car ever since the Cee'd and the MiTo.
So apparently you haven't heard about the hot-hatch version of the Cee'd:

pro_cee'd

:barf:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Bear in mind that Ford/Mazda were managing to get 200bhp out of pretty much the same engine for the Japanese market, yeah, that's a bit poo poo.

Besides, it's a UK car, and you can pick up a ratty Mondeo ST200 for £500 here and nick the engine out of that. Or spend a bit more and you can have a 3.0 out of an ST220. For thirty grand, gently caress it, get the twin-turbo (300+bhp) lump out of a Noble. Hell, if you want a Ford V6-engined coupe, buy a bloody Noble.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I do, and will always, suggest that anyone who wants a well-powered V6 in a car that didn't originally come with one (regardless of make/model) that they throw in a supercharged gen III GM3800. The wiring harness is dead loving simple (comparatively speaking) and the engine mounts can be welded by a rhesus monkey that spent an hour of welding workshop being taught by Tusken Takk. Granted, I may be biased because I spent a summer in my childhood putting a Gen II into the bed of an old Datsun (complete with a seat for the dude who had to sit in the bed and shift for us because we were too lazy to hook up a proper transmission linkage but spending two days poo poo-welding a scrap metal seat wasn't difficult or something blah blah blah 15-year-olds) for kicks, but I still say it is worth it :colbert:

This post probably qualifies for the thread.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Not so common in the UK however.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

OSI bean dip posted:

Very familiar neighbourhood there--Bonnie Doon?

downtown - Queen Mary Park

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Geirskogul posted:

I do, and will always, suggest that anyone who wants a well-powered V6 in a car that didn't originally come with one (regardless of make/model) that they throw in a supercharged gen III GM3800. The wiring harness is dead loving simple (comparatively speaking) and the engine mounts can be welded by a rhesus monkey that spent an hour of welding workshop being taught by Tusken Takk. Granted, I may be biased because I spent a summer in my childhood putting a Gen II into the bed of an old Datsun (complete with a seat for the dude who had to sit in the bed and shift for us because we were too lazy to hook up a proper transmission linkage but spending two days poo poo-welding a scrap metal seat wasn't difficult or something blah blah blah 15-year-olds) for kicks, but I still say it is worth it :colbert:

This post probably qualifies for the thread.

If there are pics, yes, it does qualify for a thread.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

They're probably in my basement somewhere, if I find them I'll make sure to post them since I'm sure everyone is dying to learn more about my "Teach Rhesus Monkeys about Jesus (and other useful skills)" seminars.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

hiddenmovement posted:

If there are pics, yes, it does qualify for a thread.

No pictures, but we essentially took a 3800 w/manual transmission (out of a Fiero or something else that was sitting in my cousin's "junkyard" slash old wheat field - :idaho:), cut a hole in the bed of a tiny old Datsun 620, dropped the engine in, and fabricated/cannibalized the remaining driveline parts (easier than it sounds when alignment doesn't really matter). I think the driveshaft was like eight inches long and we had to cut a hole in the back of the cab to fit the valve cover and part of an engine mount.

Here's something I whipped up that sums my summers with my cousins pretty well (not my ATV, but we would have done it if we had thought of it):

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Bear in mind that Ford/Mazda were managing to get 200bhp out of pretty much the same engine for the Japanese market, yeah, that's a bit poo poo.

I believe you mean "out of a completely different engine that had a few parts in common"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Wasn't the Probe 3.0 the Vulcan? Yeah that's not making mad power in any application.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The first round of Probes had a Mazda 2.0L for the base trim, the same engine turboed for the GT trim, and the Vulcan for intermediate stuff. (My first car was a base 2.0L with an auto. I miss the way the thing looked but it was not a fast car.) According to wiki, the second go at them used a different Mazda I4 and a Mazda-derived V6 for the GT.