Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
I love Captain Laserbeam, and it keeps getting better. Phillip Fathom Deep Sea Detective is great when he shows up, and the semi-recent episode where Dream Girl finally made an appearance was fantastic.

I always laugh at how dull one of the Adventureketeers sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

This is gonna be a really stupid question, but I'm a Luddite without a cell phone.

I've been enjoying the Call Chelsea podcast, but it's annoying how she and the callers are always talking over each other, and have awkward pauses, and have to repeat themselves. Is this how all cell phone calls are, or does Chelsea just have a lovely setup? Trying to have a conversation like that would drive me loving insane.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

FitFortDanga posted:

This is gonna be a really stupid question, but I'm a Luddite without a cell phone.

I've been enjoying the Call Chelsea podcast, but it's annoying how she and the callers are always talking over each other, and have awkward pauses, and have to repeat themselves. Is this how all cell phone calls are, or does Chelsea just have a lovely setup? Trying to have a conversation like that would drive me loving insane.

Cell phones work just enough for people to continue to try to use them as phones, but no better. It's a terrible experience that everyone born after 1990 avoids whenever possible.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Nah, most cell phone calls aren't that bad. It depends on if one person has a crappy phone cover, or if they're talking somewhere the acoustics suck (outdoors ect).

I will say that when I called in radio stations when I was younger it was still noisy enough that I had difficulty understanding the DJ (from a landline too). I've always wondered if callers to shows like this try to leave their radio on to better understand what the host is saying. That and, you know, listening to the show.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Nemo posted:

I love Captain Laserbeam, and it keeps getting better. Phillip Fathom Deep Sea Detective is great when he shows up, and the semi-recent episode where Dream Girl finally made an appearance was fantastic.

I always laugh at how dull one of the Adventureketeers sounds.

I love the recurring henchman, he's the only one who knows about willpower based feedback. And that's almost as strong as 100 lasers.

I just wish TAH had more Moonshine Holler.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

I love the recurring henchman, he's the only one who knows about willpower based feedback. And that's almost as strong as 100 lasers.

I just wish TAH had more Moonshine Holler.

Moonshine Holler really does not get enough episodes. It's as good as Beyond Belief and Sparks Nevada. It also has, depending on who is singing it, can hang with Sparks Nevada's theme as the best theme song.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Your way works too posted:

Moonshine Holler really does not get enough episodes. It's as good as Beyond Belief and Sparks Nevada. It also has, depending on who is singing it, can hang with Sparks Nevada's theme as the best theme song.

If it wasn't for the musical episode of Sparks Nevada(seriously amazing), I'd say the Moonshine Holler theme is my favorite musical thing by TAH.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Kurt Metzger and Louis Katz are starting a podcasts. Also, they're looking for a name. "The highbrow eyebrow hour" has been pretty popular.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

New Lou Reads is up. Check it out if you're interested in fighting demons, freemasons & people being stupid in general.

http://loureads.com/2013/01/21/lou-reads-about-how-to-fight-demons/

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Sometimes I can't tell if the guests on Improv 4 Humans aren't very good improvisers or if they're just on some next level poo poo that I can't begin to understand.

Pig in the City
Oct 7, 2007

That'll do, pig. That'll do.
I'm really happy that Harmontown has left the south and we're done with uncomfortable conversations about the civil war.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Al! posted:

Sometimes I can't tell if the guests on Improv 4 Humans aren't very good improvisers or if they're just on some next level poo poo that I can't begin to understand.

It's improv for comedians, by comedians. So it's next level poo poo.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Al! posted:

The lack of audience really hurts it.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Really? Because it's one of my favorite shows, though I haven't seen much live improv so I don't have much to compare it to.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I think that works in its favor. It stops them from going after easy laughs and removes the danger of doing un-podcastable physical humor.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Weembles posted:

I think that works in its favor.

Also, it cuts out audience suggestions.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
I love the lack of an audience, especially when the scenes are long or complex and Besser & friends are maintaining straight-man roles in shear defiance of the scene. They're really masters of the UCB improv philosophies ("truth in comedy" and "playing off the top of your intelligence"), and the I4H/CBB styles are perfect for showing that off.

For comparison, this podcast is basically the same but with physical comedy and a live audience you can't see:
http://www.ucbcomedy.com/podcasts/asssscat

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Holy loving poo poo I had no idea ASSSSCAT had a podcast.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Get ready to enjoy some of the worst audio mixing and recording you'll find in professional podcasts. Funny as hell when you can hear it properly though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Has the Call Chelsea VPN episode been archived anywhere?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Harmontown benefits greatly from Spencer's involvement in everything.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I've gotten more or less caught up on Comedy Bang Bang and now I don't know what podcast back catalog to delve into next. The episodes of Doug Loves Movies I've heard were pretty good but it's hard to really get into the back catalog for free considering they delete old episodes. Hm...so many podcasts to choose from.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Beeez posted:

I've gotten more or less caught up on Comedy Bang Bang and now I don't know what podcast back catalog to delve into next. The episodes of Doug Loves Movies I've heard were pretty good but it's hard to really get into the back catalog for free considering they delete old episodes. Hm...so many podcasts to choose from.

iTunes has a 100 podcast limit for all podcasts But DLM comes out often enough that you don't need to start from the beginning. I will say its gotten annoying that he's started skipping the games more to have chit chat with the guests but its still entertaining.

The 1st post of this thread has tons of podcasts to choose from, including my own. As you said, so many to choose from. I listen to My Brother, My Brother & Me, Paul F Tompkast, Thrilling Adventure Hour, Gelmania & a few others. Give those a shot. My podcast is Lou Reads the Internet for YOU!. Check it out.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Dan Harmon showing up on-stage shirtless with a camera velcroed to his forehead screaming at the audience made me feel glad I jumped into Harmontown despite never having seen a single episode of Community.

Holding the door open for Spencer after he lugged three trash bags full of shirts down a flight of stairs was just icing on the cake.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

New episode of Lou Reads is up.

Survivalist Boards. Hope you like hearing about how scared people are...

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Not really the best place to ask, but does anyone know any good music podcasts? I've been listening to Shots Fired a lot lately and was wondering what else is out there.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

KimT posted:

Not really the best place to ask, but does anyone know any good music podcasts? I've been listening to Shots Fired a lot lately and was wondering what else is out there.

I like the Stones Throw Podcast

http://www.stonesthrow.com/podcast/

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

KimT posted:

If you like NNF, there's also Rock Solid with Pat Francis and Gary Lucy.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
It's not really funny like Shots Fired, but I enjoy Low Times

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

KimT posted:

There's a PYF Podcast thread somewhere in PYF that has a bunch of recommendations :)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions all, I'll give them a listen.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
If you want two super knowledgeable (semi-famous) guys who are super knowledgeable (and with decent guests), try Sound Opinions.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

GraPar posted:

If you want two super knowledgeable (semi-famous) guys who are super knowledgeable (and with decent guests), try Sound Opinions.

Unfortunately, if you do that you have to listen to Jim DeRogatis, who is intolerable.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Any of you use a dedicated podcast player? Does such a thing exist? I hate iTunes and normally use Winamp, but it keeps deleting all my subscriptions.

Dick Holden
Jul 18, 2003

Purple!
Best thing I ever did was switch to Downcast, it's $1.99 but so completely worth it after having all my podcasts deleted ~4 times.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
I will never, ever understand why Apple split Music and Podcasts into two separate apps on the iPhone :argh:

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
I use BeyondPod. I have the pay version though the free version is perfectly good and I've literally never had a single problem of any kind with it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
If you're talking about portable, I'm on Android and use an app called Acast. It's simple and easy, though you have to know the address of the feed you want because the search doesn't work very well.

On PC, I just subscribe in my browser using RSS, and then either download it to WinAmp or play it in the im-browser player. It works consistently, and gives me very few problems.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
Downcast is completely worth the two bucks for the two minute fast forward alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
If you have an Android phone you have to get Pocket Casts. That app is perfect for all your podcast needs.

Anyway, I just unfollowed Todd Glass on Twitter. Everyone who follows him will know why :v:.

• Locked thread