Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I'd like to say just about every engineer-to-be will experience this in one way or another. You are not as smart as you think you are, so study, you dipshit.

(nearly failed calculus) ((Didn't go to any calculus lecture because I thought I knew calculus))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

totalnewbie posted:

Not directed at you, Nam Taf, but in general:

Are you an overachiever? Do you think you're pretty smart? Was high school a breeze? Then this. This will happen to you when you go to university. First semester will be easy, but don't let that fool you. You'll hit a brick wall second or third semester. That's what you need to be careful of.
Not necessarily. I slacked my way through honors engineering with virtually no effort or studying and never really hit a wall like that, though I *did* find it funny/annoying/wasteful that virtually the entire freshman year was just a recap of high school. I had an attitude that I was in college to LEARN, and not to play professors' stupid little games, so if I learned a topic to my own satisfaction and didn't feel like I was getting anything out of lecture or homework, I wouldn't go or wouldn't bother with the homework. Some profs didn't like that and it hurt my GPA which ended up in the low 3s instead of the high 3s where it should have been. Which I really didn't give a poo poo about at the time, but I'm wishing now I'd have put a little more effort into it. Certainly didn't impress NASA when I applied for astronaut :(

I'm in grad school now, working towards an MS in Engineering Management; just started, but I'm aiming for a 4.0. Even did a bunch of useless ungraded homework in an area I really didn't need any practice in- sign of maturity, I guess.

grover fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 19, 2013

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Any thoughts on USAJobs? I feel pretty overwhelmed by their site. This is my fault but I found a job that required 5 years experience and a bachelor's degree. I thought my experience of already having about two years of engineering internship experience and several months with Engineers Without Borders would be enough. I go through and answer about 140 multiple choice questions, another 20 about previous job experience questions, and then 8 essay questions. The first two multiple choice questions were Do you have a bachelor's degree and do you have 5 years experience? Ended up getting filtered on the 5 years experience question which was multiple choice. That left a bad taste in my mouth and I'm wondering if I should continue applying to jobs even if they're entry level?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
USAJobs is where resumes go to die.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

How much does GPA factor into getting a job after undergrad? I'm never going to go into graduate school, which I know it requires a certain GPA. I'm sitting at 2.8 or so and am in Canada. I'm worried about it mostly because there was a downward trend in the last two years thanks to being hit hard with depression, and my GPA (and my brain) is only starting to recover in my... last semester.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Jyrraeth posted:

How much does GPA factor into getting a job after undergrad? I'm never going to go into graduate school, which I know it requires a certain GPA. I'm sitting at 2.8 or so and am in Canada. I'm worried about it mostly because there was a downward trend in the last two years thanks to being hit hard with depression, and my GPA (and my brain) is only starting to recover in my... last semester.

How much job experience do you have? (Internship/co-op/etc)

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

movax posted:

How much job experience do you have? (Internship/co-op/etc)

Two month's worth of relevant job experience, with a good recommendation letter. I'm not sure what I'd call it, it kind of fell into my lap and I had a lot of different tasks over the course of two months.

Rest of my job experience is with retail/service stuff.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

huhu posted:

Any thoughts on USAJobs? I feel pretty overwhelmed by their site. This is my fault but I found a job that required 5 years experience and a bachelor's degree. I thought my experience of already having about two years of engineering internship experience and several months with Engineers Without Borders would be enough. I go through and answer about 140 multiple choice questions, another 20 about previous job experience questions, and then 8 essay questions. The first two multiple choice questions were Do you have a bachelor's degree and do you have 5 years experience? Ended up getting filtered on the 5 years experience question which was multiple choice. That left a bad taste in my mouth and I'm wondering if I should continue applying to jobs even if they're entry level?

Unless you're working it from the inside and that person knows what they're doing, the situation is drat near hopeless if you don't have the required experience.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Can anybody recommend a good text on RF engineering? I'm planning on teaching myself so accessibility is a huge plus.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Can anybody recommend a good text on RF engineering? I'm planning on teaching myself so accessibility is a huge plus.
You can read up on the basics on wikipedia, but the Army's MIL-STD for HEMP construction is one of the best examples of applied RF engineering I've found. Pretty interesting the techniques used to shield against HEMP.

http://www.wbdg.org/ccb/FEDMIL/std188_125_1.pdf

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Thanks for the USAJobs suggestions.

Got another question. Does anyone know of the correct method to modify an extension spring I order from a vendor? I've tried sending out quotes to four companies and none of them have contacted me back. I figure I'm not ordering enough springs to make it worth their time so I'm going to try and move it in house. The spring I modified was cut to the desired length and then bent to form a hook. I'm wondering if there is a better method than this? I've looked through catalogs for two companies and they don't make the spring I need.

And one more question. Besides approaching engineering companies' websites where else is a good place to look?

huhu fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 24, 2013

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

totalnewbie posted:

Not directed at you, Nam Taf, but in general:

Are you an overachiever? Do you think you're pretty smart? Was high school a breeze? Then this. This will happen to you when you go to university. First semester will be easy, but don't let that fool you. You'll hit a brick wall second or third semester. That's what you need to be careful of.

Of course that's me and it's very valid to direct that to me because it's exactly what happened to me. I always was bored at school cause it was too easy. My point is that I realised that and am now trying to warn others :) No offence or anything taken whatsoever.

Specifically what happens is you go from the coddling and constant poking and prodding that school teachers give you to make you do the work, to having none of that, so if you're not driven to do the work by your own need to do it, you won't. As soon as it came time to cover new material in 2nd year, it hosed me.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Today's bad: Failed my first calc2 exam along with a lot of other people. Not a single person had turned in part1 (non-calculator) of the test before the end of class. We get our lowest test grade dropped so that was my only freebie.

Today's good: Applied to my first internships today. :3 Doubt I'll get accepted since I'm mostly a freshman (transfer student) but I figured it couldn't hurt since I have a pretty strong technician-level background and a high GPA so far.

Edit: I forgot to edit the cover letter I used on the last internship I applied to. Pfft who wants to work for some tiny company called Boeing anyway.. :smith:

KetTarma fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 26, 2013

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?
What's the typical internship pay range for a sophomore EE major with no prior experience? I just got an offer of $17/hour from a steel company for position this summer. Seems reasonable, but my gut tells me that I should go for a dollar or two more.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

ChipNDip posted:

What's the typical internship pay range for a sophomore EE major with no prior experience? I just got an offer of $17/hour from a steel company for position this summer. Seems reasonable, but my gut tells me that I should go for a dollar or two more.

Eh, I don't know. That's a pretty good rate for an intern. In my experience as a mining engineer intern, I got paid $17/hr working my rear end off for a coal mine. Other opportunities were around $14/hr at the time (2007).

Personally, I wouldn't really push it. The internship is more about the experience than the money anyways, and I'd hate to be jobless over the summer because I thought I could weasel out a few hundred more bucks. Especially on the FIRST experience. Its not like they would struggle to find another inexperienced student. No offense.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
$17/hr is almost as much as I made at my first engineering job after graduation. :negative:

Unless you're in some super high COL city (say, NYC or SF) then $17/hr is pretty generous for an intern.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
$17 is fairly average in my experience. I think my first one was $17 and then $20/hr. People working in a lab at the university made ~$8, the lowest I saw anyone make at a private company was $14/hr. People who worked for oil companies or somewhere with a high cost of living made up to $30/hr but I don't think the average Joe can expect that. These are from the midwest.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I work as a test engineer for an r&d company, currently the test manager alternate and will eventually be manager. There isn't really a such thing as management tools here, just a lot of "make sure your team gets these tests done by this impossible deadline". This makes my engineers and techs resentful and unfocused.

We just established an Access database, so I'm trying to use that for metrics and eventually throw in some good management practices. I basically only know of Scrum through Wikipedia and was wondering if anyone had any experience with that or other effective management techniques.

My main goal is to inject some life into the companies strategic planning, or atleast if/when I leave I can say I implemented techniques and improved efficiency

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Crazyweasel posted:

I work as a test engineer for an r&d company, currently the test manager alternate and will eventually be manager. There isn't really a such thing as management tools here, just a lot of "make sure your team gets these tests done by this impossible deadline". This makes my engineers and techs resentful and unfocused.

We just established an Access database, so I'm trying to use that for metrics and eventually throw in some good management practices. I basically only know of Scrum through Wikipedia and was wondering if anyone had any experience with that or other effective management techniques.

My main goal is to inject some life into the companies strategic planning, or atleast if/when I leave I can say I implemented techniques and improved efficiency

Don't roll your own tools. Use an existing test management tool, like TestLink. Are you testing software? You might find Jenkins-CI to be a useful tool for automating stuff. I used Jenkins and a bunch of simple Python scripts to completely automate my test lab. I have a rack of test devices and test servers that run tests on new builds with zero human intervention.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Engineering is the art of knowing when to say “that’s good enough.”

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

grover posted:

Engineering is the art of knowing when to say “that’s good enough.”

Yeah, it really is. Unless you want to go insane. Then go nuts.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

CCKeane posted:

Yeah, it really is. Unless you want to go insane. Then go nuts.
People often have misconceptions about stuff like this, but the truth is- it's usually quite easy to design something if you overdesign it; there are always conservative assumptions you can make that end up with a design that will work and never fail. There's a famous quote that I'm probably mangling, "It has been said that any idiot can design a bridge that is strong enough. The real skill is in designing one that is just strong enough."

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

grover posted:

People often have misconceptions about stuff like this, but the truth is- it's usually quite easy to design something if you overdesign it; there are always conservative assumptions you can make that end up with a design that will work and never fail. There's a famous quote that I'm probably mangling, "It has been said that any idiot can design a bridge that is strong enough. The real skill is in designing one that is just strong enough."

I was actually thinking of it from a diminishing returns angle and smart use of resources; a higher quality product might not always be worth twice the lead time and cost.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

It's also important to not reinvent the wheel. I've seen so many home-grown software tools that should have been off-the-shelf or open source tools instead. It ends up wasting everyone's time.

BlackShadow
May 31, 2009

grover posted:

You don't happen to mean:

'An engineer can do for one dollar what any fool can do for two'

Do you?

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

BlackShadow posted:

Do you?

10 cents for 2 dollars is the paradigm, at least in my industry.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

BeefofAges posted:

It's also important to not reinvent the wheel. I've seen so many home-grown software tools that should have been off-the-shelf or open source tools instead. It ends up wasting everyone's time.

As a man working on some home-grown software tools, I just want to say that while I agree with you, sometimes you don't have a choice.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

BlackShadow posted:

Do you?
Engineers don't work cheap enough to bother with a $1 savings. :colbert:

Start talking millions of units, though...

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

CCKeane posted:

As a man working on some home-grown software tools, I just want to say that while I agree with you, sometimes you don't have a choice.

Oh, for sure. I've had to do it a few times too. Still, it should be avoided whenever possible. At my department at work, instead of using aa commercial inventory tracking database, we have a homegrown web app with an awful user interface, and it doesn't support barcodes or QR codes or RFIDs or anything. You have to manually enter any inventory changes.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Wondering if anybody who has looked for jobs in the last few years can tell me how many jobs they applied to before settling on one? I'm up to 30 job applications with 3 responses of no. My first internship at a huge company has a hiring freeze at the two locations I know people. My second internship doesn't really have a job after I finish up. Wondering what I could be doing better to get my foot in the door somewhere.

RoosterBrewster
Dec 30, 2009
Is there any way to get engineering experience on my own that I would be able to put on a resume as engineering experience since I currently don't have any experience? I graduated in May 2012 with a BS in mechanical engineering, but haven't been able to find an engineering job yet. I've been applying to hundreds of online job postings all over the Chicago area, but rarely get a bite. Most of my applications were for an internship, so I thought I would have a good chance of at least getting a call since I've already graduated, but apparently that was a bad prediction. Are companies only hiring current students for internships or are they hiring people with years of experience for internships? Either way, it seems really hard to find an entry level mechanical engineering job with a degree, but with no experience.

BlackShadow
May 31, 2009

RoosterBrewster posted:

Is there any way to get engineering experience on my own that I would be able to put on a resume as engineering experience since I currently don't have any experience? I graduated in May 2012 with a BS in mechanical engineering, but haven't been able to find an engineering job yet. I've been applying to hundreds of online job postings all over the Chicago area, but rarely get a bite. Most of my applications were for an internship, so I thought I would have a good chance of at least getting a call since I've already graduated, but apparently that was a bad prediction. Are companies only hiring current students for internships or are they hiring people with years of experience for internships? Either way, it seems really hard to find an entry level mechanical engineering job with a degree, but with no experience.

At my (and I believe several other) Universities, we had a Formula SAE team. Maybe somewhere has a similar program that you could do some 'volunteer' work for?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

RoosterBrewster posted:

Internships/Co-Ops are for students enrolled in a degree program. The expectation seems to be that you do an internship while a student to gain experience to compliment your classes.

E: Have you joined a professional society? Networked with anyone? Does your resume suck?

KetTarma fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 5, 2013

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.
After having spent I good amount of time on the job hunt, I have become a bit curious about the sales engineer/applications engineer position. I seem to be getting the best feedback from these kinds of openings, but I am worried that it will make it difficult to move into a greater design focus engineering position in the future. For anyone here that has done hiring for engineering positions, do these kinds of jobs have a negative impact on a persons chances to obtain a more typical engineer job?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Ingenium posted:

After having spent I good amount of time on the job hunt, I have become a bit curious about the sales engineer/applications engineer position. I seem to be getting the best feedback from these kinds of openings, but I am worried that it will make it difficult to move into a greater design focus engineering position in the future. For anyone here that has done hiring for engineering positions, do these kinds of jobs have a negative impact on a persons chances to obtain a more typical engineer job?

From what I've seen the career move is usually the other way around. Most sales guys who are Engineers started out doing design or in other Engineering related positions in the industry, realized they could make (more) bank selling the stuff they specify and started/joined a sales outfit.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

gently caress job hunting, ugh.

I just finished a Masters in ME and am applying all over right now. One large aerospace company had two interesting positions listed online, so I filled out their lovely webform. It's lame enough that I had to submit a resume in a plaintext box (no option to upload a pdf). But more aggravating was that on the next page there was a "job questionnaire" which included a mandatory field for desired salary.

I can understand asking that early for people with professional experience (or a current job they are looking to leave), but these are listed as entry-level positions. Submitting a hard number for salary at this early stage of the game flies in the face of every piece of advice I've ever been given on the subject.

So wtf do I do? I have a ballpark idea of what I'd expect them to pay based on a few friends in similar companies in related industries, but this feels like a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation. Aim too low, and I just undercut myself for future earning potential. Aim too high, and they may dismiss me as a candidate entirely.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 7, 2013

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
I'm sure you've tried this, but in the past I have been able to get away by entering a derivative of $0, such as $0,000. Also, writing OPEN has sufficed as well, but, like I said, I'm sure you've tried that.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Dead Pressed posted:

I'm sure you've tried this, but in the past I have been able to get away by entering a derivative of $0, such as $0,000. Also, writing OPEN has sufficed as well, but, like I said, I'm sure you've tried that.

I've gotten away with "dependent on responsibilities of position" once, but I probably shouldn't have.

Do you have any professional experience?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Dead Pressed posted:

Yep, try some form of 0 or 1. The web form will accept it, but any idiot will know you're not actually willing to work for $0 or even $1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I worry that they are going to automatically filter the resumes to a reasonable range, but maybe HR is better than that.