Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

masterofnada posted:

How much should I spend? I think it would be weird if I spent a lot, I'm trying to think of appropriate amount which is nice but not "wow, he must really like me" (I think she has a crush on me and don't want to give wrong impression because it's not reciprocal).

Depends on what the gift card is for. If you get one for a restaurant, 15 or 20 bucks might be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

masterofnada posted:

How much should I spend? I think it would be weird if I spent a lot, I'm trying to think of appropriate amount which is nice but not "wow, he must really like me" (I think she has a crush on me and don't want to give wrong impression because it's not reciprocal).

A $20 gift card for a book shop is the perfect way to say "I don't really know you, but I would feel awkward if I didn't give you something."

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Does anyone know of any good websites with basic financial/accounting concepts like annuity/bond valuation, types of financial statements, etc? I have an interview tomorrow and I think I'm expected to know basic concepts but I'm not sure what those include.

Ron Don Volante fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 6, 2013

beeaar
Dec 16, 2005
edit: found answer by googling

beeaar fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 6, 2013

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

masterofnada posted:

Get a $20 gift card to either Starbucks or Barnes & Noble, whichever you personally are more likely to spend. If no one else gets her a gift, keep it for yourself.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Ron Don Volante posted:

Does anyone know of any good websites with basic financial/accounting concepts like annuity/bond valuation, types of financial statements, etc? I have an interview tomorrow and I think I'm expected to know basic concepts but I'm not sure what those include.

I think if you are interviewing for a job tomorrow, for which you don't understand the basic concepts, you are not qualified for the job. No amount of googlefu the night before will save you.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm interviewing to be an airplane mechanic tomorrow, can anyone point me to a website with the names of the airplane parts like the spinny thing and the thing that goes "whooooooosh"

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm interviewing to be an airplane mechanic tomorrow, can anyone point me to a website with the names of the airplane parts like the spinny thing and the thing that goes "whooooooosh"
My son has had good success with this self study course:

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

I'm in a German language class at the moment and we are watching a movie pertaining to the fall of the Berlin wall. Most of my knowledge of the wall and situation in East Germany was from the movie The Secret Lives of Others. (It's probably not good that a movie is my first source :( ) I'm not doing a project or anything, I just wanted to get a better understanding of the situation so I could better understand what the characters in the film are going through.
Why did the Berlin wall come down ( I know a little about the protests, but when did the public's opinion shift to wanting it taken down?) ? When did it go up? Why did it go up?
In the films I have seen many filmmakers depict East Germany as having many rules, and having investigators come to citizens houses to question the loyalty of their friends and families.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I have a resume written up and formatted nicely in a word document. I have a new computer and don't have Word. Is there anyway I can cleanly transfer it over to a different program (Google Docs, Open Office, etc.) and edit it? I tried in Google Docs and it's messy and doesn't look great.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

RebBrownies posted:

I'm in a German language class at the moment and we are watching a movie pertaining to the fall of the Berlin wall. Most of my knowledge of the wall and situation in East Germany was from the movie The Secret Lives of Others. (It's probably not good that a movie is my first source :( ) I'm not doing a project or anything, I just wanted to get a better understanding of the situation so I could better understand what the characters in the film are going through.
Why did the Berlin wall come down ( I know a little about the protests, but when did the public's opinion shift to wanting it taken down?) ? When did it go up? Why did it go up?
In the films I have seen many filmmakers depict East Germany as having many rules, and having investigators come to citizens houses to question the loyalty of their friends and families.

Wow, it's a long answer. I'm not trolling but have you read the wikipedia page? Start with that.

Then watch another movie!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJb4efZcFUM

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

greazeball posted:

Wow, it's a long answer. I'm not trolling but have you read the wikipedia page? Start with that.

Then watch another movie!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJb4efZcFUM

I feel like an idiot for not reading the wiki page.

That is the movie we are watching in class! :)

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Doghouse posted:

I have a resume written up and formatted nicely in a word document. I have a new computer and don't have Word. Is there anyway I can cleanly transfer it over to a different program (Google Docs, Open Office, etc.) and edit it? I tried in Google Docs and it's messy and doesn't look great.

There's a trial version of the new MS Office you can try for free: http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/en/office-365-home-premium

The formatting on a resume will not survive exactly between MS Office and LibreOffice/OpenOffice in my experience.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

I think if you are interviewing for a job tomorrow, for which you don't understand the basic concepts, you are not qualified for the job. No amount of googlefu the night before will save you.

In fairness, it might be a situation where it'd be nice to have some clue about what the company does, even if the job itself doesn't directly deal with it. For example, IT support at a finance company.

RebBrownies posted:

You're making me feel old here. :(

The wiki article gives a decent overview. If that's tl;dr, here goes. After Germany lost World War II the country was carved up into zones that were each administered by four of the Allies (UK, US, France, USSR). Berlin, being the capital, was also split up into zones even though the whole thing fell within the Russian chunk of Germany.

Long story short, the US/UK/French parts were reconstructed and given back to the Germans. But the Russians decided, basically, that they were going to keep their bits as a puppet government. That's how there came to be a free West Germany, a fascist East Germany under Soviet control, and a free West Berlin as a West German exclave inside East Germany.

For some wacky reason, people weren't happy being crushed under the fascist Soviet boot, and a steady stream of them defected by going to West Berlin. To put a stop to that, the fascist government put up a bigass wall around West Berlin in 1961 and it soon became a symbol of the entire Cold War.

Flash forward 30 years. Glasnost and perestroika and the USSR crumbling. Wall comes down. Germany reunifies. Happy happy joy joy.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Doghouse posted:

Wordpad is probably already installed on your pc.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

What's the origin of the "It's Tape!" meme?

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009

FCKGW posted:

What's the origin of the "It's Tape!" meme?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb3UobSZl34

Go to 1:45 specifically, but it is very fun to watch the whole thing from the beginning :)

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

What type of lampshade is supposed to fit on this lamp?

I've tried googling for "types of lampshades", but it only comes up with lampshades that snap onto the bulb or lampshades that screw into under the bulb. Nothing that looks like it ought to work with this giant built in rim around the bulb area.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

Giant Boy Detective posted:

I've tried googling for "types of lampshades", but it only comes up with lampshades that snap onto the bulb or lampshades that screw into under the bulb. Nothing that looks like it ought to work with this giant built in rim around the bulb area.

Cylinder lamp shade fits that lamp. Though sometimes that ring served as a barrier to protect the (missing) globe.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah that is the kind of lamp where you can actually use many different styles of lampshade, so long as they fit onto that ring. Cylinder styles would work, but so would a properly fitted tapering one or something like that.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So here's a bizarre thing. I was out to lunch today with some friends and they took an embarrassing picture of me during the meal. They joked about putting it up on facebook or some such and I joked that "OK, great, make me internet famous again."

Now, they caught on to the "again" part and demanded to know what I meant by that. I told them to google my name and see what comes up, knowing that nothing interesting is there.

Or so I thought.

When I was back in the office I decided to check it out for myself (cause I haven't in probably 5 years). What I found was some resume cleaner guy has used one of my resumes as an example, without my permission. He removed all my personal info, and changed the names of the companies, but obviously, he still kept some identifier that google caught. And after review, it's clearly one of my old resumes. He didn't change the font or anything.

So, I don't know in what capacity he is using this (as a good example or a bad one), and I just found it on a whim, but can I ask him to remove it? Should I even bother? My resume is on career builder and other job search sites, but I don't believe that this is an authorized use of something I created. I'm not looking to sue or pursue any legal action, but for some reason this makes me uncomfortable.

tl;dr: Some "fix your resume" site is using my resume without my permission. What course of action is best, if any?

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Does anyone have a nice, medium/high-resolution image of the SomethingAwful grenade? Someone on my dorm floor made nametags with the little reddit dude on them and put them on all our doors. I'd like to cover the stupid reddit logo on mine with a grenade. Google is super unhelpful here. tia

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CzarChasm posted:

tl;dr: Some "fix your resume" site is using my resume without my permission. What course of action is best, if any?

You know what I'd do? Ask the guy who's using it to give you like $10 or something.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Hummingbirds posted:

Does anyone have a nice, medium/high-resolution image of the SomethingAwful grenade? Someone on my dorm floor made nametags with the little reddit dude on them and put them on all our doors. I'd like to cover the stupid reddit logo on mine with a grenade. Google is super unhelpful here. tia

This?

http://blog.bruteprop.co.uk/?p=146

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I was thinking a high resolution version of this

but if I can't find anything I might use that, thank you.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Hummingbirds posted:

Big enough?

rottenland
Jan 12, 2013

Doghouse posted:

Skydrive from Microsoft. You can use the web-based MS Office for free.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I like to think of myself as well-versed in computer and Internet matters, but can someone please explain to me how PAR files can recreate a random part of a large file without somehow involving dark magic? If I have a 100-piece post on Usenet and four are missing, and I have four random PAR files (of the fifty PAR files supplied or so, it doesn't matter WHICH four I get, as long as I get any four), and it can recreate the original chunks. How? How does this possibly happen? It's like I get a book with some pages ripped out, but along with the book were 100 random sheets of paper, and if I just use a few of those sheets I can recreate perfectly the original book.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Hell yeah, thanks!

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Golbez posted:

I like to think of myself as well-versed in computer and Internet matters, but can someone please explain to me how PAR files can recreate a random part of a large file without somehow involving dark magic? If I have a 100-piece post on Usenet and four are missing, and I have four random PAR files (of the fifty PAR files supplied or so, it doesn't matter WHICH four I get, as long as I get any four), and it can recreate the original chunks. How? How does this possibly happen? It's like I get a book with some pages ripped out, but along with the book were 100 random sheets of paper, and if I just use a few of those sheets I can recreate perfectly the original book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parchive they work by storing parity information, similar to the way RAID striping or ECC memory works.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

randyest posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parchive they work by storing parity information, similar to the way RAID striping or ECC memory works.

But how can it work with *any* of the PAR files? I could use any of the PAR files given for a particular download, and each and every one of them will recreate any single missing block from the download with perfect accuracy.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Golbez posted:

PAR files rely on the majority of the original content being intact. They contain checksums for what the original data should be, as well as a substantial part of the original data to be recovered.

The core principle is the Reed-Solomon method of error correction that's found in data CDs, DVDs, Blu-Ray, various networks and self-correcting RAID array systems. Essentially, you store a significant amount of extra data for each piece of source data you send out, and this data allows you to compute the proper data as long as you have greater than a certain percentage of the original data verified to be good. Depending on the implementation this could be as much as 90% of the original data needed, or as little as 70%.

PAR files contain not only the extra data needed to repair the original download, they also contain the extra data needed to build the others if you have enough of the original data. So in your example, you have 96% of the original file data, and 8% of the PAR files. The PAR files build up the missing data by first building up the missing PAR files based on the pieces of the original data you already have - which is again a hgue majority of the data, and then calculating off that what the missing data should be.

If you instead had only 80% of the original file present and the same small amount of PAR files, you could end up with it only being able to restore some of the missing data.

The basic algorithm is described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed%E2%80%93Solomon_error_correction

Golbez posted:

But how can it work with *any* of the PAR files? I could use any of the PAR files given for a particular download, and each and every one of them will recreate any single missing block from the download with perfect accuracy.

A single missing block when you already have 90% or more of the original data isn't that hard to restore. It also happens sometimes that even with all the PAR files for a given upload, you still don't have enough to actually repair the file, but that's very rare.

You can think of it like how if you have a data CD with a major scratch on it, you can usually still copy the data off although it'll take longer than a perfect CD. If too many of those scratches happen too close together, data gets permanently lost; but just one or two and there's enough neighboring data to reconstruct.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Golbez posted:

Try this site instead of wikipedia. It gives a nice little example.

http://www.slyck.com/Newsgroups_Guide_PAR_PAR2_Files

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Giant Boy Detective posted:

I would say this kind: http://www.bplampsupply.com/category/347_student-style-glass-lamp-shades

This sort of lamp is mimicking a gas lamp, so the shade would be glass instead of fabric, and it would be open at the top to let the rising hot air escape.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

I was looking for more of a refresher as I already had some background knowledge, but it didn't come up anyway so no harm done.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

Ron Don Volante posted:

I was looking for more of a refresher as I already had some background knowledge, but it didn't come up anyway so no harm done.

I hope your interview went very well.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
I'm kind of curious about whether the contraction "Nazi" originated among Allied powers as a derisive term (similar to Commie), or if it developed in some other way (or if I'm just seeing patterns where they don't exist).

I can't find anything suggesting that the Nazis used that shorthand themselves, or even that it's used by German speakers (is it?), and the division between whether the word for "Nazism" resembles that word or "National Socialism" seems to heavily lean toward Allied powers using the shorter form while non-Allied powers and countries that were under heavy Nazi occupation lean toward the latter. Is there any history behind that division?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

OneEightHundred posted:

I'm kind of curious about whether the contraction "Nazi" originated among Allied powers as a derisive term (similar to Commie), or if it developed in some other way (or if I'm just seeing patterns where they don't exist).

I can't find anything suggesting that the Nazis used that shorthand themselves, or even that it's used by German speakers (is it?), and the division between whether the word for "Nazism" resembles that word or "National Socialism" seems to heavily lean toward Allied powers using the shorter form while non-Allied powers and countries that were under heavy Nazi occupation lean toward the latter. Is there any history behind that division?

"The 24th edition of Etymologisches Wörterbuch der deutschen Sprache (2002) says the word Nazi was favored in southern Germany (supposedly from c.1924) among opponents of National Socialism because the nickname Nazi, Naczi (from the masc. proper name Ignatz, German form of Ignatius) was used colloquially to mean 'a foolish person, clumsy or awkward person.'"

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

Is there a find-a-film/tv megathread?

I'm trying to find the name of a documentary I saw on PBS within the last year about GLBT baby boomers and older.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Why do some posters have an Al Aqsa insignia under their avatars?