Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

My kingdom for a GTA-like game where you can just wave at a cab and have it come over. Or just loving skip it all and have normal fast travel like every other game, immersion be damned.

In Saints Row 2 you could totally hire a cab company to take you places, which is ridiculous as thats pretty much the only game where you would never want to not hijack a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
A more reliable way to hire a cab instead of jacking it is to stand in front or behind it, which also causes the prompt to pop up.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

AnotherGamer posted:

A more reliable way to hire a cab instead of jacking it is to stand in front or behind it, which also causes the prompt to pop up.

I find just jackknifing the car I'm currently driving in front a cab does wonders. Stops straight away and then just get out an hail it.

Also anyone know an easy and quick to continuous way to wreck cars? Need to get that Gold Award.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Get a heavy vehicle and ram the gently caress out of everything. Wrecks in 1-2 rams.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

SmokinDan posted:

I find just jackknifing the car I'm currently driving in front a cab does wonders. Stops straight away and then just get out an hail it.

Also anyone know an easy and quick to continuous way to wreck cars? Need to get that Gold Award.

Grenade launcher
:getin:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Samurai Sanders posted:

My kingdom for a GTA-like game where you can just wave at a cab and have it come over. Or just loving skip it all and have normal fast travel like every other game, immersion be damned.

You could yell for taxis in GTA4, which is absolutely hilarious if you do it while drunk. "YELLOW CAAAAAAAR!!"

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SmokinDan posted:

Replay a mission near the end. Civil Discord I think. Use the grenade launcher when you get to that part and keep restarting from checkpoint as appropriate.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

flatluigi posted:

You could yell for taxis in GTA4, which is absolutely hilarious if you do it while drunk. "YELLOW CAAAAAAAR!!"

Best part was you would shout that and then promptly fall over and get run over by the cab.

GTA4 definitely had its moments of awesome.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Does Sleeping Dogs use a lot of network traffic in the background? I'm trying to figure out why it runs inconsistently for me. I thought it might be because a bunch of process in the background build up and slow down my CPU. Yesterday I did a clean restart and only started up Steam and Sleeping Dogs, and it was still stuttering, but last night I didn't bother with that and just jumped right in with a bunch of applications still running and it performed basically fine.

That made me think that it could be an internet performance issue - Sunday afternoon was probably a much busier time for my ISP than just before and after midnight.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Caufman posted:

In those face missions when someone steals your wallet, you can in fact just gun them down.

Wei's dark.

I like how they feel confidant enough to jack the wallet from a triad leader/ footsoldier/ general arsehole.

Also, that bloody valet, half the time he's like "sorry I haven't got time to deliver you a car". Are you aware of how many people I broke to get this rank? Hmmm? Although, calling him, then jacking a car and driving off does make him pursue you amusingly.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Does Sleeping Dogs use a lot of network traffic in the background? I'm trying to figure out why it runs inconsistently for me. I thought it might be because a bunch of process in the background build up and slow down my CPU. Yesterday I did a clean restart and only started up Steam and Sleeping Dogs, and it was still stuttering, but last night I didn't bother with that and just jumped right in with a bunch of applications still running and it performed basically fine.

That made me think that it could be an internet performance issue - Sunday afternoon was probably a much busier time for my ISP than just before and after midnight.

A lot of people are linking this issue to the non-working social hub.

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer
Do the events like "Shaolin Showdown" or "Death by 1000 cuts" give any sort of reward, or are they just sort of fun missions with no point?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

D is That Guy posted:

Do the events like "Shaolin Showdown" or "Death by 1000 cuts" give any sort of reward, or are they just sort of fun missions with no point?

Death by 1000 Cuts gives you Triad XP, it's how I finally hit level 10 after giving up on redoing missions.

Plus it is fun to leap through the air with an overhand slash of the golden cleaver, bouncing from thug to thug as they scream in pain and terror but just keep on coming.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Dross posted:

A lot of people are linking this issue to the non-working social hub.

My social hub is working, though. At least it was the last time I checked. I get all kinds of "your position on the leaderboard" things in-game, and I have checked those and the past and used it to replay missions.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Is Death by 1000 Cuts the only mission where you can take on an unlimited number of bad guys? I want something like it, but with harder enemies.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Spaz Medicine posted:

Is Death by 1000 Cuts the only mission where you can take on an unlimited number of bad guys? I want something like it, but with harder enemies.

Shaolin Showdown is the one for you, since the monks randomly counter attacks, quite often and unpredictably. As well, they're impossible to grab unless you're in face mode.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Morter posted:

Shaolin Showdown is the one for you, since the monks randomly counter attacks, quite often and unpredictably. As well, they're impossible to grab unless you're in face mode.

Cool, thanks. I'll have to pick up the martial arts pack next time Sleeping Dogs stuff goes on sale. :)

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I 100% this game since the sale, including the content dlcs. Have not done that in a long time.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

I've put a few hours into this game on the PC and it's great. Do most people use a gamepad? I can't tell if fighting would be any smoother or if the driving would get easier using a 360 controller over mouse/keyboard.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The game definitely feels much better with a controller to me. Shooting becomes, quite literally, a crapshoot if you don't have auto-aim on, but other than that it's basically a direct improvement to keyboard and mouse controls. However, the game allows you to switch on the fly, so if you do pick up a gun and want to use the mouse to aim, you can just set the controller down and do so, which is a pretty neat touch.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Use the controller for everything except karaoke, it's much better this way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I beat the game last night. I enjoyed it most of the time, though it was kind of obnoxious by the end how every enemy but the most basic grunt would block or not be affected by most of the special moves you learn, or how some enemies would not care that you were countering them, giving me a few game overs in the last couple missions. Slow-mo always seemed hit or miss whether or not it wanted to actually activate or just have me run out and get shot in the face too. I was never able to hammer Y fast enough for that one type of grappler either. I really wish the game let me use Rico's revolver on missions more. It forgot to remove it for the kidnapper case (the last one you do for Teng) and it was fun having a shootout with a handcannon.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Schiavona posted:

I've put a few hours into this game on the PC and it's great. Do most people use a gamepad? I can't tell if fighting would be any smoother or if the driving would get easier using a 360 controller over mouse/keyboard.

I use a controller, and switch to kb+m when there is a shooting sequence.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I use a controller, and switch to kb+m when there is a shooting sequence.

This is the best, you can also do player movement with the left stick, and still aim with the mouse.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Athenry posted:

This is the best, you can also do player movement with the left stick, and still aim with the mouse.

Sure, if you have 2 left hands. :mad:

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

JPrime posted:

Sure, if you have 2 left hands. :mad:

left hand on left-side of controller to use analog stick, right hand on the mouse. I've done it a few times in the game. though for this particular title I much prefer to use a wired 360 pad exclusively.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Athenry posted:

How do you vault?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Knuc If U Buck posted:

How do you vault?

set to thumb or center mouse button

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

MrJacobs posted:

left hand on left-side of controller to use analog stick, right hand on the mouse. I've done it a few times in the game. though for this particular title I much prefer to use a wired 360 pad exclusively.

No, I mean I use the mouse with my left hand. :/ I haven't had too much problem shooting w/ the 360 controller though on the PC.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

MrJacobs posted:

He meant that he's a lefty and uses a mouse with his left hand.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Holy gently caress, this game. I just unlocked the leg break grapple move, I am in pain just from watching it. :stare:

I really like that all the combat has been melee so far, it's surprisingly deep when you're dancing between six dudes and trying to decide to wait for the next counter or risk a grab for the environment kill over here, etc.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

WarLocke posted:

Holy gently caress, this game. I just unlocked the leg break grapple move, I am in pain just from watching it. :stare:

Later on you can get an arm break grapple move. It's just as painful to watch yet it's kind of cathartic.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Later on you can get an arm break grapple move. It's just as painful to watch yet it's kind of cathartic.

The thing is I can only get the Arm Break to happen like 10% of the time but can almost flawlessly pull off the Leg Break every time I attempt it. I usually just get the usual hip toss or gut punch or whatever after the second hit.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Still can't connect to social hub! Plus, it turns out that the boilerplate list of solutions they gave me when I submitted a ticket counted as solving my problem, even though I told them none of it worked.

At least I got to fill out a survey about how well they 'fulfilled my needs' :toot:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It is silly, but with all the other Bruce Lee homages, you know a DLC outfit I'd love to have?

It'll never happen though. :(

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It is silly, but with all the other Bruce Lee homages, you know a DLC outfit I'd love to have?

It'll never happen though. :(

Actually...

It's more likely than you'd think. Movie Masters Pack has that, plus a Jet Li's Hero and Bronze Wei outfits.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

With the Lone Vigilante (Pictured above) outfit, you can basically fight forever. Same goes for the Wing Chun costume. Although I would've loved the mask and hat, it does still invoke the image of Chen Zhen, the super badass.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 6, 2013

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

poo poo, I didn't even think that costume might be mean to be a Kato outfit, I figured it was a Grammaton Cleric outfit or something. :aaa: Guess I'm gonna have to pick that pack up.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

flatluigi posted:

Still can't connect to social hub! Plus, it turns out that the boilerplate list of solutions they gave me when I submitted a ticket counted as solving my problem, even though I told them none of it worked.

At least I got to fill out a survey about how well they 'fulfilled my needs' :toot:

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Should I finish the normal game before doing Nightmare in North Point or the Zodiac Tournament?

• Locked thread