Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If I rode out to where I once took a spill, I'd probably take another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spootle
Nov 11, 2009

freebooter posted:

Next challenge - :siren: Your bike at the place where you once took a spill. :siren:

I'm not going to do that because I'd be following your photo in that carpark with my own photo in that carpark...

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Photos in a carpark it is. The carpool dropped me off at 0200. I geared up, and tried to leave. My rear wheel was on that patch of sand. Bike went straight over. Broke off the clutch lever and shifter. I made it home without stopping, because I ran a couple of red lights. It was 3am, ok?

:siren:your bike next to something out of season:siren: I passed some campaign signs and a house with Christmas lights still up.

edit: Thankfully, the image didn't attach.

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 22, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't see any pictures there :colbert:

VVVV I would guess that either one or the other wasn't completely broken off. Either he had a nub of clutch lever to get it started, and stayed in one gear the whole time, or he had a nub of shifter and crash-shifted into first without using the clutch.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 22, 2013

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
How did you make it anywhere with no clutch lever and no shifter :colbert:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

epalm posted:

How did you make it anywhere with no clutch lever and no shifter :colbert:

I had my work tools, so I got the bike into 1st with a pair of pliers while the bike was off. I disabled the clutch switch and roll-started the bike, then just stalled it out once I got home. 1st was loud and annoying, but I can get up to like 65, so it wasn't necessarily an issue for the couple of miles back to the house.

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

:siren:your bike next to something out of season:siren: I passed some campaign signs and a house with Christmas lights still up.

Christmas tree farmz. The pictures do not do justice to how nuts the fog was getting here. Maybe 30 ft. visibility most of the way.

The next challenge has a theme! :siren:Geometry:siren: Manmade, natural, whatever.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

The metal sculptures in the background are pretty geometric. Shot's bad, but I took this about five minutes after dropping my bike mid U-turn. Didn't give myself enough room to turn, fixated on the rapidly-approaching curb, and down I went. Luckily the handlebar, hard bag, and my ankle broke the fall, so there's only cosmetic damage on the bag. Was planning on practicing low-speed maneuvers this weekend anyway.

Next one:

:siren:Your bike next to a large piece of technology:siren:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Monkey Wrangler posted:

The metal sculptures in the background are pretty geometric. Shot's bad, but I took this about five minutes after dropping my bike mid U-turn. Didn't give myself enough room to turn, fixated on the rapidly-approaching curb, and down I went. Luckily the handlebar, hard bag, and my ankle broke the fall, so there's only cosmetic damage on the bag. Was planning on practicing low-speed maneuvers this weekend anyway.

Next one:

Not a serious entry but in this pic of my bike:

you can see the white pillar on the right which contains one of the inlet trunks for my office, which currently has just over a terabit of bandwidth flowing through it. They probably won't let me move my bike into one of the machine rooms to take a more suitable picture though...

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not a serious entry but in this pic of my bike:

you can see the white pillar on the right which contains one of the inlet trunks for my office, which currently has just over a terabit of bandwidth flowing through it. They probably won't let me move my bike into one of the machine rooms to take a more suitable picture though...

Mmmm, though that s1000rr is a serious piece of technology :swoon:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Monkey Wrangler posted:

I asked, they won't let me roll the SV in to get a shot in front of the fastest computer in the world

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Requesting a shot from inside or underneath the Arecibo dish.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bucephalus posted:

Requesting a shot from inside or underneath the Arecibo dish.

Wouldn't underneath it be somewhere in Thailand?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
No. It's suspended above ground.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Since no one else is posting anything, I declare the USNS Mercy hospital ship to be a large piece of technology. At
69,000 tons and 900 feet long she is definitely large, and this seems pretty high tech to me:

quote:

Patient Capacity:
Intensive care wards: 80 beds
Recovery wards: 20 beds
Intermediate care wards: 280 beds
Light care wards: 120 beds
Limited care wards: 500 beds
Total Patient Capacity: 1000 beds
Operating Rooms: 12
Departments and Facilities:
Casualty reception
Radiological services
Main laboratory plus satellite lab
Central sterile receiving
Medical supply/pharmacy
Physical therapy and burn care
Intensive Care Unit
Dental services
Optometry/lens lab
Morgue
Laundry
Oxygen producing plants (two)

Apparently she normally lives in San Diego so I'm not sure what she's doing up here. e: I looked it up and she's been docked here under "routine maintenance" since at least 2010.

The next challenge is :siren: something larger than life. :siren: Your town has the world's largest doughnut? Great, go get it. I will also accept things like a man in a giant baseball costume, or a big inflatable gorilla -- it just has to be larger than the thing it's representing.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 11, 2013

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Oh my goooooooooooooooood

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia%27s_big_things

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I'll grab the Big Orange and Big Red Elephant from that list later on today if nobody else has put anything up by then.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
I've got one I was meaning to take for the big piece of technology that also fits in nicely with that, I'll get the photo at some point today.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

:siren: Your bike in front of the "Welcome to ______ " sign in your area! :siren:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Shimrod posted:

:siren: Your bike in front of the "Welcome to ______ " sign in your area! :siren:

I don't know... that elephant is looking pretty life-sized... ;)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah but the the price of a pine is massive!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

lol, it's really not that huge, and it's dodgy as gently caress. Just check out the tail.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

Good job I caught your post, Shimrod!

You'll just have to forgive the quality, only camera I've got is the Skype one on the front of my Kindle.
:siren:An animal on your bike. Bonus points if it's not a dog. Extra super-duper bonus points if it's wild!:siren:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I'll long distance high-five anyone that has a Ninja and finds a turtle.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Can't claim it in the game as it's a pre-taken photo. But aww, this little guy just wanted to go on my ride to work one morning.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

The hell is a pine?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
A species of conifer?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SaNChEzZ posted:

The hell is a pine?

Australian short form for pineapple maybe?

I'm more worried about Scallop Haven's famous fruit smoothies. Mmmm pineapple scallop smoothie...

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

SaNChEzZ posted:

The hell is a pine?

I'm going to assume Pineapple, I can't say I've ever been into that supermarket. It's a shithole.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wootcannon posted:

:siren:An animal on your bike. Bonus points if it's not a dog. Extra super-duper bonus points if it's wild!:siren:

No one is posting this so here you go: something that was recently an animal on top of my bike.

This was taken about half an hour before the engine blew up. Notice the oil leaking onto the cooling fins? I didn't at the time :(

:siren:Your bike at a point more than 500 feet above where it lives.:siren:. Find the altitude of your house, dig up a topographical map, and find a place on it at least 500 feet higher. Ride there and take a picture so we can appreciate/mock the beauty/drudgery of your local terrain. This will probably be on a hill or mountain of some kind. Your smartphone's GPS unit will be a big help here. Apologies in advance to anyone who parks their bike in Kansas or on top of Mt. Kilimanjaro.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
As I recall you used to call bullshit on other people, and you now posted a picture of a sandwich and called it an animal. I know it hurts that your bike died but this isn't the way to grieve...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hey, nobody specified whether it had to be an entire animal, or only an animal, or whether the animal was supposed to be alive or dead.

(If anyone wants to be all technical about it and post a whole live animal on their bike they can go ahead, but I figured I would take the initiative since it's been nearly 3 weeks since the last post and no one even bothered to go and put their dog or cat on their bike)

(also this challenge is a RIDING challenge instead of a "find poo poo and put it on your motorcycle" challenge)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sagebrush posted:

:siren:Your bike at a point more than 500 feet above where it lives.:siren:

I live 25 meters above sea level. The highest point that I can get my bike to is 172 meters above sea level. 500 feet is 152 meters. I can't even cheat and use a building, as the tallest building is only 120 meters tall.

This challenge is completely impossible to win in my country. drat.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Know anyone with a pilot's license?

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
I found this handy page if anyone is struggling to work out how high up they are. I'd have done this but I'm already 600 feet above sea level and the closest place for me to do it is a tedious rear end ride along the motorway.

The one day I'm off too :(

http://www.daftlogic.com/sandbox-google-maps-find-altitude.htm

ReformedNiceGuy fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Mar 1, 2013

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Great. I'm 4500 miles from my bike right now, but I used to climb 1000' every day on the way to work. Depending on ice and some other stuff, I could probably have gotten 5000' with a couple hours' trip. Now I'm in a country with WONDERFUL roads and am specifically prohibited (on threat of deportation) from operating any motor vehicle.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

(also this challenge is a RIDING challenge instead of a "find poo poo and put it on your motorcycle" challenge)

Not my fault no-one had the balls to ride through a safari park :colbert:.

Mao
Apr 18, 2007

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Great. I'm 4500 miles from my bike right now, but I used to climb 1000' every day on the way to work. Depending on ice and some other stuff, I could probably have gotten 5000' with a couple hours' trip. Now I'm in a country with WONDERFUL roads and am specifically prohibited (on threat of deportation) from operating any motor vehicle.

There is a story behind this that I would be fascinated to hear. The deportation part anyway.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Got caught bangin a car :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wit_sponge
Dec 29, 2008

FUUUCK

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Got caught bangin a car :clint:

Read this as "Got caught banging *in* a car" and was about to call BS.

But no, what you said makes sense.

• Locked thread