Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Saga was out again this week. It's still pretty great.

Fiona Staples draws crazy blind mole people and the book has finally hit the "all stories are starting to converge" point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
The excerpt from the script in the letters page was great too.

Previous issue's cover is the first thing comics related I've wanted in poster form.

Is anyone else reading DnA's Hypernaturals? I've been really enjoying the world building and with the last few issues the plot's starting to come together too

Threep fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 17, 2013

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Waterhaul posted:

Fiona Staples draws crazy blind mole people and the book has finally hit the "all stories are starting to converge" point.

I'm pleasantly surprised by Gwendolyn's character. I was expecting a... dunno the term for it, generic pissed-off fantasy hyper-ex? Yet she'd never killed anyone before the issue's events, and reasoned/acted throughout in an unnervingly pragmatic way.

(The black bar says "Be Sure to Read your Saga Trade.")

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Waterhaul posted:

I was lucky. Diamond managed to short my store copies of Saga and I was one of the few to get one.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
I'm currently reading Cursed Pirate Girl, an Archaia book. It's a hardback, with the most amazing paper and trim. The art is lovely. It's the story of a young girl searching for the pirate father she never knew in the fantastical Omerta seas, which is kind of a crazy fantasy ocean under the ocean. The only thing I don't love is the lettering, which is a bit hard to read.

This is what the art looks like:

As you can see, it's all very detailed and I have to imagine every page took hours and hours.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Finally picked up that last issue of Infinite Vacation. It feels a bit like Spencer had to check off some plot points rather quickly, but I was still really happy with how it ended.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

No Pun Intended posted:

Title:
Rex Mundi

Publisher:
Image/Dark Horse

Brief description:
France, the year is 1933, the Catholic Church never lost its grip of power in europe, a feudal society endures. A young french doctor, investigating the murder of a friend gets embroiled in a plot for world domination and a quest for the holy grail.

Why I like it:
A good story and Characters, all the elements seemed to work for me. I found the world building presented in the newspapers between chapters very well done.

Issue that is a good jumping on point:
Start from the start. It's all in trade paperbacks now (6 volumes)
I do wonder, why is there so little discussion (ie. basically none whatsoever) of this quite awesome series on SA? I just started reading it a couple of days ago, and while it's not the best comic ever I do like it a lot and would rank fairly high. It seems like a series that would be enjoyed by the audience here and should have its own discussion thread but :shrug:

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Rex Mundi is indeed great but it's not like BSS gets a super amount of traffic or participation compared to other comics forums or even other subforums in SA. Hence this one thread serving as a catch-all for all the indie comics out there. That said, nothing's stopping you from starting your own thread for it.

EDIT: It's probably also the nature of comics. It's hard to generate an entire thread's worth of discussion when a book comes out only once a month, unless it's a really popular series. I swear we had a Hellboy/BPRD thread not too long ago and it seemed to quickly drop into the archives despite all the love it gets and the multiple releases per month.

moot the hopple fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 21, 2013

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

PrBacterio posted:

I do wonder, why is there so little discussion (ie. basically none whatsoever) of this quite awesome series on SA? I just started reading it a couple of days ago, and while it's not the best comic ever I do like it a lot and would rank fairly high. It seems like a series that would be enjoyed by the audience here and should have its own discussion thread but :shrug:

I read it a bit back and thought it got progressively worse as it went, the art in particular. I felt the decision to have an alternate history on top of magic and on top of grail conspiracies resulted in a lot of largely pointless and uninteresting filler that ground the plot down to a halt. About 2/3s through I got bored enough to stop reading (which takes a lot) and skipped to the end, which pretty much picked up right where I predicted after jumping off.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

moot the hopple posted:

I swear we had a Hellboy/BPRD thread not too long ago and it seemed to quickly drop into the archives despite all the love it gets and the multiple releases per month.
We did, I started the dang thing and even I had forgotten about it til you mentioned it just now.

On that note, I'm way behind on BPRD and Hellboy. How has Hellboy in Hell been so far?

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Hellboy in Hell has been really good, though some people might be frustrated with how slow it is. Having Mignola back on art is wonderful.

I haven't really been feeling BPRD since The Long Death. I've been picking up 1948 since I love the other two "history of the BPRD" books, but this one just hasn't been doing it for me. The glacial pace in most things BPRD is starting to get to me, and it doesn't really have the wonderful art and scenery that Hellboy can fall back on when it moves at a snail's pace.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Glory #32, that final page... :hellyeah:

Also, apparently the Question escaped from the New 52 and has taken refuge in the Extreme universe.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Yeah that final page was awesome and next issue poo poo is going to go down.

If the book being cancelled wasn't bad enough now there'll never be a Henry and Beleszava team up book either.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I'm just sad that we'll never get more adventures of Nanaja. Actually, I'd definitely read a sitcom-style series about Glory's dysfunctional family. Everybody Loves Glory.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So anyone else reading Nowhere Men? A dense book about rock star scientists that leaves me with NO IDEA where its going. But its fun and different and written well and definitely worth a read. As of the third issue, things just took a crazy, out of nowhere (hah hah) turn.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Shageletic posted:

So anyone else reading Nowhere Men? A dense book about rock star scientists that leaves me with NO IDEA where its going. But its fun and different and written well and definitely worth a read. As of the third issue, things just took a crazy, out of nowhere (hah hah) turn.

I'm reading it now, pretty good stuff.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So Mara #2 came out. I have to say that the whole superpowers bit kinda underminds the premise. I'd like it better if it was a straight-up "sports as warfare" social condemnation peice similar to DMZ. With Mara as a sudden superhero, it kinda muddles and over-complicates the premise.

That said, this was better than the previous issue. I'm gonna stick around. Wood's still under my good graces thanks to Conan the Barbarian.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I have the same problem with nowhere men. The introduction of mutant superheroes in issue 3 makes it kind of lame, but it's so great looking.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Benny the Snake posted:

So Mara #2 came out. I have to say that the whole superpowers bit kinda underminds the premise. I'd like it better if it was a straight-up "sports as warfare" social condemnation peice similar to DMZ. With Mara as a sudden superhero, it kinda muddles and over-complicates the premise.

I don't think it does. We celebrate super-athletes to the point of thinking we're entitled to judge them personally just because we watch them play a game. Wood's story so far is just an exaggeration of the way we live now, and that's pretty a tenet of science-fiction. That last page of #2 was beautiful enough, both thematically and visually, to keep me on board for the whole 6 issues.

Benny the Snake posted:

That said, this was better than the previous issue. I'm gonna stick around. Wood's still under my good graces thanks to Conan the Barbarian.

Are you reading The Massive? Cuz you should be.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Shageletic posted:

I can't remember if I've read the second issue or not yet, but I really dug the first one. Really hated the bizarre internet reactions to it, but loved Stephenson's response to it, so it balanced out.

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...

Shageletic posted:

So anyone else reading Nowhere Men? A dense book about rock star scientists that leaves me with NO IDEA where its going...
For a second there I thought you were talking about the oddball science-hero series from Dark Horse with gorgeous Guy Davis art but that's the Nevermen...

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Threep posted:

Is anyone else reading DnA's Hypernaturals? I've been really enjoying the world building and with the last few issues the plot's starting to come together too
Yes, I love Hypernaturals. These guys can build a hell of a world. I'd love more in-universe advertisements and interviews in the issues; I eat that stuff up as much as I do the actual comic story.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
When I was reading Prophet and got to the part where it said the Die Hard robot was born a human in the 1940/50's I kind of assumed he was John McClane. Didn't know anything about the original series. You can imagine my disappointment when I found out the truth. :shobon:

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
I feel like it deserves a proper post:

Hypernaturals written by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning

Publisher: Boom!

Brief description:
In a distant future where the singularity happened and a benevolent AI took over running human civilization, superpowers are common and the primary superhero team is a franchise. When the latest iteration of the Hypernaturals team goes missing, a couple retirees investigate with the aid of untrained rookies and find a mystery with the fingerprints of their nemesis, supervillain Sublime, all over it. But he's still in jail, right where they put him...

Unsurprising spoiler: Also the AI might not be entirely benevolent

Why I like it:
Anyone who's read Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning previous 'cosmic' books knows that they're great at making the universe seem big and full of wonder and crazy, and this is no exception. Every issue so far has done a good job balancing moving the plot along while fleshing out the backstory and universe, not just with flashbacks but also interviews with the team members and in-universe advertisements. Basically, if you've liked a DnA book in the past you owe yourself to give Hypernaturals a chance.

My only complaint is that the characters are much more cliche than some of the ones they've worked with in the past, but the presentation makes up for that.

Issue that is a good jumping on point:
The FCBD issue has the event that sets the story in motion, but issue #1 is a much better introduction. It's up to issue 7 now and the first trade is coming soon (March according to Amazon).

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I'm pretty sure the last Multiple Warheads has the most puns ever put into a single comic. I don't know if I can deal with this.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Anyone else pick up the first issue of Snapshot from Image? My local shop had one left in stock when I stopped in about a half hour ago. Being new to comics and having never heard of Diggle and Jock, it was the noir aesthetics of the cover that caught my eye. Being just a 4-issue miniseries I figure why not give it a shot?

The guy behind the counter then told me to read The Losers ASAP. Is the comic series better than the movie released a couple years back? The omnibus editions are going for $15 apiece on amazon which isn't bad at all.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

friendo55 posted:

Anyone else pick up the first issue of Snapshot from Image? My local shop had one left in stock when I stopped in about a half hour ago. Being new to comics and having never heard of Diggle and Jock, it was the noir aesthetics of the cover that caught my eye. Being just a 4-issue miniseries I figure why not give it a shot?

The guy behind the counter then told me to read The Losers ASAP. Is the comic series better than the movie released a couple years back? The omnibus editions are going for $15 apiece on amazon which isn't bad at all.
The movie is based directly on the Diggle and Jock Losers, even copying some of the scenes almost exactly. But from what I remember the book was tense and exciting where the movie was just kind of generic. Aisha (the character Zoe Saldana played) in particular is much more interesting.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

The movie is based directly on the Diggle and Jock Losers, even copying some of the scenes almost exactly. But from what I remember the book was tense and exciting where the movie was just kind of generic. Aisha (the character Zoe Saldana played) in particular is much more interesting.

I enjoyed The Losers movie more than most (especially the spot-on casting), but that's because I was a huge fan of the comic. It's reprinted in two thick TPBs, or an older print run of five shorter volumes, and I can't recommend it highly enough. It really feels like an incredibly paced action-adventure movie in comic book form, with well-placed comic relief to break the tension.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I'm pretty sure the last Multiple Warheads has the most puns ever put into a single comic. I don't know if I can deal with this.

That pear bit towards the end was something.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Endless Mike posted:

That pear bit towards the end was something.

I couldn't stop laughing.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I picked up the new Super Street Fighter hardcover, as UDON is now releasing all of its new SF content in graphic novel form. It looks really nice, but there's not enough content to vindicate the list price, so I suggest getting it online via Amazon or B&N.

Capcom's always had a pretty detailed set of events for the Alpha games and SF2, so UDON had little problem being faithful to the source. This arc is based on the SF3 games, which Capcom never really defined the events of. Plus those games only had a handful of pre-existing characters. In this retelling, some of the SF2/Alpha guys show up just for familiarity.

The story is that several years after M. Bison's tournament, Guile spends his focus on taking down Gill's Secret Society. Unfortunately, his inside man has gone missing and his last action was sending a list of targets that the Secret Society was going after. One of them is Ryu and in Guile's search, he finds out he's too late. Ryu's missing and all he knows is that Sakura has been driven insane because of whatever happened. Over the course of the volume, Guile is joined by two others (Alex and Dan Hibiki) to help find Ryu and stop Gill.

But that's only about half of the book. The other half is a bunch of random short stories about the other SF characters. This includes a really fun 6-page story by Chris Sims about Balrog crossing paths with Dudley. There's also a funny story in there about E. Honda and Hakan arguing and outright fighting over whose sport should be in the next Olympics.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Is there an Elena story? She's my favorite Street Fighter :shobon:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

When do we get a Gavok Street Fighter short story?

Or will it be Mortal Kombat since Sims is your mortal nemesis?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Is there an Elena story? She's my favorite Street Fighter :shobon:

Not yet. Other than the main story, we get Dudley vs. Balrog, Guy vs. Ibuki, Dhalsim vs. Twelve (where Twelve transforms into various characters from SF1), Honda vs. Hakan and a Juri origin story. The Juri story does a really good job of explaining why she would be out to destroy Shadaloo while at the same time being a total scumbag villain.

Endless Mike posted:

When do we get a Gavok Street Fighter short story?

I would write the gently caress out of Adon.

quote:

Or will it be Mortal Kombat since Sims is your mortal nemesis?

I would write more the gently caress out of this. It's not like I could do worse than the Malibu series.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gavok posted:

Not yet. Other than the main story, we get Dudley vs. Balrog, Guy vs. Ibuki, Dhalsim vs. Twelve (where Twelve transforms into various characters from SF1), Honda vs. Hakan and a Juri origin story. The Juri story does a really good job of explaining why she would be out to destroy Shadaloo while at the same time being a total scumbag villain.

I would write the gently caress out of Adon.

I would write more the gently caress out of this. It's not like I could do worse than the Malibu series.

Isn't that a CHIKARA wrestler?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Endless Mike posted:

Isn't that a CHIKARA wrestler?

No, combatANT uses a different sense of grammatical fuckery.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Comixology currently has 12 Top Shelf titles on sale-most are half off, although there are a couple $4.99 books down to $1.99.

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...
I've been catching up on Tom Scioli's comics recently and I really like the superhero/pop-culture mashup stuff he's been producing. The story he's working on right now is a Superman analogue known as Satan's Soldier...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tom Scioli is amazing, I strongly recommend buying the American Barbarian book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
Finally finished the latest Multiple Warheads and even though it was GREAT, I don't really think it's the best issue to end the series for a yearish with.