Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

That RSD is friggen sweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
This just popped up on my Monster forum:

http://vimeo.com/m/38142210

$1,900

Good Ship Theseus
Sep 12, 2010

Immortality through endless server backups? Sign me up!
I've never ridden a bike with a dry clutch - are they really that different than wet clutches in terms of feel? Can you really not "modulate" a dry clutch?

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
I've only ridden a wet clutch in the MSF, but it was noticeably easier to modulate.

I can modulate my dry clutch, but it's pretty sensitive. The pull on the clutch lever is pretty hard too, even with an aftermarket slave.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I didn't really think this warranted it's own thread, so I thought I'd put it in here.

Over Superbowl weekend I flew to Austin to visit a good friend, watch the Superbowl and get the hell out of LA for a few days. He's been riding for quite awhile and always urged me to get my M1, so now that I have it we decided to rent a bike for me and do a ride together (some of you remember I was asking about rentals and years of experience in the Questions thread). There's several good rental places in the area, but we finally went with these guys since they were pretty cheap and didn't require 2years riding experience (I'm at ~5months). It was a limited selection, but I went with a Ninja 500 since all I've ever ridden is cruisers. Great little rental place run by a guy and his wife, who also do MSF courses. We picked the bike up on Saturday and set out for Llano to try a BBQ place my friend had heard good things about.

A nice 75mile run to start the day:

My friend's S50 and my rental steed. Beautiful day; perfect temp and the sky the same color as my biek.

Llano, Texas :banjo: Most of those stores are empty, but I saw more bikes drive through than cars. All Harleys.

BBQ was worth the ride. The jalapeno pork sausage was incredible. Yes, we live dangerously and had a beer each.

Nearly everyone eating here was people out for rides. There was a group of guys with GSXRs/R1s that came in later, some of the only sportbikes I saw outside of Austin proper.

Appropriate atmosphere

Bieks with outdoor grilling pits.

After that, we headed back East on Ranch Road 1431 through the Texas Hill Country. Nice, rolling hills.

We stopped at a nice overlook of some other (not the) Colorado River.

From there it was lots of nice easy curves back towards Austin, skirting through a wildlife refuge.

We stopped at another scenic overlook just in time to catch the sunset over Austin.

After 180miles and ~6hours, we were ready for some coffee and a night on the town (Texan girls :swoon:). That was the furthest I'd ridden in a day before, and on an unfamiliar bike to boot. The Ninja ran wonderfully despite it's 180,000miles and was a blast in the curves - so much easier to steer than the Sportster I'm used to. A couple times I got distracted by scenery and started turning wide, and was ever so thankfully surprised by how easy it was to get back in my line.

Side note: Texas has no helmet law, so it was pretty weird at first seeing guys go past bareheaded. Most people had helmets though, and I saw more Harley guys with full-face than I do in LA. Unfortunately most of the hipster kids on scooters in town rode in sandals and shorts. Also, I missed lane splitting :v:

A+ would ride again!

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Dellikose posted:

I can modulate my dry clutch, but it's pretty sensitive. The pull on the clutch lever is pretty hard too, even with an aftermarket slave.

So what's the up-side to them?

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Coopers BBQ is the poo poo

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

obso posted:

Perhaps it's preferred on race bikes because you don't have to drain the oil to replace it or service it. Then that trickled down to the consumer market.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I guess the preference for a dry clutch came from needing to replace them during a race weekend and cutting down service time. Now that wet clutches can last a weekend they're kind of pointless, but Ducati's all about heritage and stuff(until recently, now that every new engine design has a wet clutch).

I like my noisy tambourine, even if aftermarket plates seize together after being in the rain.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

All manual-transmission cars have dry clutches though, right? So how come they don't also sound like a coffee can full of marbles?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

All manual-transmission cars have dry clutches though, right? So how come they don't also sound like a coffee can full of marbles?

Because they don't have a dozen friction plates held in a basket using loosely-fitting fingers around the outside is why. A car clutch only has two parts that move independently to eachother (3 if you count the input shaft I guess); a ducati clutch has dozens.

Totally different designs; old BMW's have car-style dry clutches don't they?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

As well as the single- versus multi-plate point Slavvy bought up, car clutches are buried at the bottom of the engine inside a sound-proofed (to a greater or less extent) metal box, bike clutches normally aren't even behind a fairing.

Mind you that doesn't explain why the gearbox whine of a car in reverse is so much louder than that of a bike with square-cut cogs in the gearbox.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003

obso posted:

Loud clutches save lives.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I believe dry clutches are a little more efficient reciprocating mass wise as well. You don't have the stuff spinning around in an oil bath. I think most of the motoGP bikes use dry clutches but I'm not sure about that.

Good Ship Theseus
Sep 12, 2010

Immortality through endless server backups? Sign me up!

Dellikose posted:

Loud clutches save lives.

I can totally confirm this. In fact, I like to open her up and throw some grit in there, maybe file off a tooth or two on my plates, just so people hear me comin' and get out of my way.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

They may not save lives but is possible, on rare occasion, to talk oneself out of a speeding ticket as you were just investigating if the weird noise your transmission is making changes at speed.

It just doesn't sound right to me officer

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

old BMW's have car-style dry clutches don't they?

They're still selling dry clutch Rs.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As well as the single- versus multi-plate point Slavvy bought up, car clutches are buried at the bottom of the engine inside a sound-proofed (to a greater or less extent) metal box, bike clutches normally aren't even behind a fairing.

Mind you that doesn't explain why the gearbox whine of a car in reverse is so much louder than that of a bike with square-cut cogs in the gearbox.

Because the reverse gear in a car is a free-floating straight-cut cog on a third shaft, so there are 3 gears and shafts in the reverse system which means a lot of free play and lash compared to bike gears which use a dog on the same shaft as one of the gears. :eng101:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

clutchpuck posted:

They're still selling dry clutch Rs.
It's on its way out though. They just came out with the new R GS with water cooling and wet multiplate. They've had wet clutches in most of the K bikes for a while too, and the F and the G.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yep, I'm looking forward to seeing the remixed R motor in action - seems like a huge step forward for it. Pretty sure the F and Gs were ground-up wet clutch designs. Didn't the Ks go wet when they went to the transverse orientation?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Urals use a dry clutch too, because if it worked in 1941 it's still good enough. :colbert:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

Urals use a dry clutch too, because if it worked in 1941 it's still good enough. :colbert:

Old BMW=Ural :cheeky:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

clutchpuck posted:

Yep, I'm looking forward to seeing the remixed R motor in action - seems like a huge step forward for it. Pretty sure the F and Gs were ground-up wet clutch designs. Didn't the Ks go wet when they went to the transverse orientation?
Yeah all the longitudinal Ks were dry single plate, which they made for quite some time, and all the transverse are wet multi.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Collateral Damage posted:

That's my attitude on running aircooled OHV :)

I guess Icon put this one together by request from Ural:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

clutchpuck posted:

That's Harley's reason for... everything.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Can't fault that, works pretty well for them, me, and the majority of the US's motorcycle market. And this is ignoring the EFI, catalyzed exhaust, ride by wire, and frame evolution they've brought to their models in the last decade-ish.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

I guess Icon put this one together by request from Ural:

I would ride this every day in every condition. It looks like the G-shock of bikes.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
I'm sure it's just the angle but the front tire looks wider than the rear.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I was just re-enjoying "le Filtrage" after a friend of mine reminded me of it so I thought I'd repost it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q29inP2m3do

His humor is in the timing, but also he isn't french if you didn't notice...a Brit I think. Saying he was French with a name of Pierre Camembert would be like if he was making fun of Americans and introduced himself as "Johnny Cheeseburger"

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No front brake for aesthetic reasons I somewhat understand, but it just looks retarded when all the mounting hardware is still there and clearly visible.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Frankly, I don't really "get" Confederates. That one is a salt flat racer, so to be fair it pretty much doesn't need brakes on the front. For Confederate money though - and not the special "Combat" model - you're almost to a pair of CR&S DUUs which look like some design was put into them.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Frankly, I don't really "get" Confederates. That one is a salt flat racer, so to be fair it pretty much doesn't need brakes on the front. For Confederate money though - and not the special "Combat" model - you're almost to a pair of CR&S DUUs which look like some design was put into them.

Air cooled and you still get 1125 style scoops :gonk:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

High Protein posted:

Air cooled and you still get 1125 style scoops :gonk:

I think those might be headlight nacelles :shrug: The DUU comes as ordered though, so I bet you can have any headlight config you want.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

I was just re-enjoying "le Filtrage" after a friend of mine reminded me of it so I thought I'd repost it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q29inP2m3do

His humor is in the timing, but also he isn't french if you didn't notice...a Brit I think. Saying he was French with a name of Pierre Camembert would be like if he was making fun of Americans and introduced himself as "Johnny Cheeseburger"

This is incredible. I do this on a daily basis and now it'll have added faux-french commentary and ad hoc poetry.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

The bike rider needs to HTFU and pass that horse.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Kid (pro mx rider) hauling rear end on a KX112.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97syaiBP7i4

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

loving A is that kid fast

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Gullous posted:

The bike rider needs to HTFU and pass that horse.

Is that HM The Queen on the bike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard