Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marvin_Gardens
May 25, 2005

The Dog-Trust Button on Netflix

Django: DOG! TRUST!

Argo: Ehh dog trust

UYD: Points on Your Back-end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW
Hey hop on YouTube and check out my prick vids. It's cool.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Probably add "Dog, trust" to the litany of sayings UYD has added to my vocabulary.

SaxMaverick
Jun 9, 2005

The stuff of nightmares
Grad school has made me slack off in uploading clips to youtube, but listening to this episode made me stop mid-lab experiment and get it up as quick as I could:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3MSlLhBunQ

Marvin_Gardens
May 25, 2005

SaxMaverick posted:

Grad school has made me slack off in uploading clips to youtube, but listening to this episode made me stop mid-lab experiment and get it up as quick as I could:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3MSlLhBunQ

Dreamboat!

It's been so long since I've heard anybody called a "dreamboat". So fresh

Also for once Jonathan has a sensible explanation (water landing) for something instead being fully-loving befuddled.

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?
This story from episode 15 is one of my absolute faves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb3VnwjPuIc

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I also wish I could work the phrase "boner rage" into daily conversation.

Boner rage/rage boner (which kind of comes from The League's "fear boner") has become standard parlance among my group of non-UYD listening friends. We named our Ultimate Frisbee team the Rage Boners and the tone of the guys' voice when he announced us over the PA was priceless.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Boner rage/rage boner (which kind of comes from The League's "fear boner") has become standard parlance among my group of non-UYD listening friends. We named our Ultimate Frisbee team the Rage Boners and the tone of the guys' voice when he announced us over the PA was priceless.

I dropped the term while this chick was in the car with us, and she was intrigued by the term and wanted to know what it meant. Cue the delicate explanation that fully understanding would require her to be a dude or for me to know her enough to be comfortable to get really into it.

On another note, I really want to show my friends the whole dog trust section of that recent episode, does anyone know if that section is up somewhere before I isolate it myself?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Was Jah trying to talk about DotA2 in 358 with "settlers of catan/fast RPGs"?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
The whole thing about the Elmwood speed trap hits close to home for me (literally, I live in Cincinnati). They also quoted one of my former professors when they were talking about pedophobia.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Pretty sure someone on the voicemail tried to tell Seth about Cards Against Humanity.

"It's a game"
"But you can't get it"
"You hafta download it"
"It's for young hip kids"
"They sold out or something"

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Came across this thread surfing through RGD looking for a new podcast, seems pretty strongly endorsed, where's the best place to start? Episode 1 or is there some golden number that's recommended?

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!
I'd probably recommend looking up the few episodes they filmed in the studio, just so you can see Seth's mannerisms and poo poo. I think being able to picture the two of them makes it even funnier. Besides that, working your way up from the start is probably the best way to do it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Insanity Prawn posted:

I'd probably recommend looking up the few episodes they filmed in the studio, just so you can see Seth's mannerisms and poo poo. I think being able to picture the two of them makes it even funnier. Besides that, working your way up from the start is probably the best way to do it.

I totally agree. All of the old episodes hold up completely. Some of them are even funnier in hindsight.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I was introduced through the video clips online from the 120s (just search youtube for "uhh yeah dude" and they'll all be at the top of the results) and I'd agree with Insanity Prawn, the show's better when you can picture Jonathan and Seth interacting.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Brinstar Brew posted:

This story from episode 15 is one of my absolute faves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb3VnwjPuIc

Did he ever go into why he doesn't speak? I've listened to probably 130 eps of UYD and I don't think he ever did. This is an awesome story though.

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!

grvm posted:

Did he ever go into why he doesn't speak? I've listened to probably 130 eps of UYD and I don't think he ever did. This is an awesome story though.

I think he explained it on some other podcast, basically he was just sick of people always loving up his order, so he started just writing it down, which lead to people believing he can't talk.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

causticBeet posted:

Was Jah trying to talk about DotA2 in 358 with "settlers of catan/fast RPGs"?

He was probably referring to games like Talisman that involve dungeon-crawling and fighting monsters and the like.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I use boner rage all the time, I hadn't even realised I'd just stolen it off UYD because it's just such an excellent phrase.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Hocus Pocus posted:

Came across this thread surfing through RGD looking for a new podcast, seems pretty strongly endorsed, where's the best place to start? Episode 1 or is there some golden number that's recommended?

Just start from episode 1. That's what I did a couple months ago. It only took me until like episode 3 to realize I had made the right decision. Honestly, the first dozen or so episodes are actually really solid and funny and were some of my early favorites. There is no "bad" episode ever, either.

There isn't a ton of continuity or anything, it's mostly just about their personalities and how they interact. But there is a decent amount of references that seem to get built up on over time, so basically just start from episode 1 so when you hear Seth or Jonathan go "Tweeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiins" you know what they are talking about.

Also, listening from episode 1 is pretty cool as you see them react and deal with the changing country/world/technology/culture and what have you from 2006 until present.

Tripleeeeettttttssssssss

Damo fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 7, 2013

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Dudes light poo poo on fire, and rig poo poo for boobs. That's just what dudes do.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Damo posted:

There isn't a ton of continuity or anything, it's mostly just about their personalities and how they interact. But there is a decent amount of references that seem to get built up on over time, so basically just start from episode 1 so when you hear Seth or Jonathan go "Tweeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiins" you know what they are talking about.

I was so happy to finally hear the origin of Jeff, Seth's adopted black grandson (episode 41 I think)

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Agreed that everyone should start from episode 1, but there's no reason not to listen to the new ones as they come out - then after every news event you get to wonder what UYD is going to say about it next week.

Very funny (as always) this week - always cracks me up when Seth expresses his anguish over his beloved Cowboys.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

It's a bit unorthodox but I've been using that Best of 2012 that got posted a little while ago to introduce some of my friends to UYD. I'd say it's about as good a starting point as the youtube channel.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Had they already mentioned the sandwich generation before this ep?

Marvin_Gardens
May 25, 2005

Why can't Jonathan talk? e.g. listen to him try to say "obstetrician" and rather than him just skipping it, he tries to sound it out for 30 seconds.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Marvin_Gardens posted:

Why can't Jonathan talk? e.g. listen to him try to say "obstetrician" and rather than him just skipping it, he tries to sound it out for 30 seconds.

....ob...stead....ricks??

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Marvin_Gardens posted:

I'm guessing simple obstinance. Jonathan will not let himself be defeated by a word while he's on mic.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Marvin_Gardens posted:

Because he spent his entire youth getting expelled from schools?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

The podcast turns 7 years old soon, and Jonathan's pronunciation hasn't improved at all in that time. I love it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

niethan posted:

I've definitely heard of it somewhere before this episode, I think it even may have been with them.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Marvin_Gardens posted:

Love the dude, but he ain't exactly an intellectual.

To his credit he seems like the first one to admit that.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

niethan posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure they talked about it back in the 20's somewhere.

Also: this Warriors of Catan RPG sounds pretty rad.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Binowru posted:

The podcast turns 7 years old soon, and Jonathan's pronunciation hasn't improved at all in that time. I love it.

Also the fact that Seth seems to just sit there and let him stumble through a word, when he obviously knows what he's attempting to say.

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology

Fonzarelli posted:

Also the fact that Seth seems to just sit there and let him stumble through a word, when he obviously knows what he's attempting to say.

Isn't this also where Seth's quirky pronunciations originate from?

Gonna hit episode 100 on my re-listening of the show this week.
Nothing beats UYD with Fuckman and the surfer.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

gently caress man Rambo!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I missed a few weeks because of exams and just caught up to 356, I think I'm having a loving meltdown over here. Oh god.

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW
I'm gonna start round 2, does anyone know where to find eps 1-64? They're not on itunes.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Mr. Samuel Shitley posted:

I'm gonna start round 2, does anyone know where to find eps 1-64? They're not on itunes.

Get the Downcast app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Mr. Samuel Shitley posted:

PodcastAlley seems to have everything up to 237 still.