Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thenakedflip
Feb 22, 2005

td4guy posted:

The exact same thing happened to me. I called them up and they put me on hold for 15 minutes, then came back on the line and said something to the effect of "yeah, our tracking system isn't perfect, yeah, we received it."

Excellent. I'll give them a call in the morning and hopefully they do have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

The Entire Universe posted:

Still betting against Omaha being lit before the inevitable "like the ending of The Perfect Storm" bankruptcy from their staggering install costs once they get cut off by Softbank.

The Network Vision plan never depended on the SoftBank deal; SoftBank gives Sprint a war chest to use for acquisitions, see: Clearwire.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

beamrider posted:

I figure it like this, by the time Ohio gets decent (read: ANY) LTE coverage, my s3 will be at least 14 months old.

Hopefully more and more ohio people switch off their wimax phones in ohio for the LTE phones so my 3D can get higher and higher wimax speeds :-)

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Just an update for any Sprint GNex owners: I took the risk and installed the 4.2.1 OTA today. It's working beautifully so far - bluetooth is solid, battery seems okay (although the battery reporting screen is broken, I'll be watching via BetterBatteryStats), and it's just as snappy as 4.1.1 (which is to say, very!)

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Is it kosher to discuss pushing custom PRLs to roam on Verizon here?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Is it completely in my head, or does the S3 charge faster than most phones? It seems like every time I plug it in, it's fully charged much quicker than I expect. It could also be because the battery doesn't drain as quickly as my 3D does, so it usually has less to charge. I don't know.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I think the charger it comes with is better than most, or at least better than my old ones (at least I think it's the same charger as my Note 2's, white/black with the usb port on the side?). If you have a Nexus 7 use that thing's charger, drat phone will be full in a half hour (I'm probably exaggerating a bit).

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

brc64 posted:

Is it completely in my head, or does the S3 charge faster than most phones? It seems like every time I plug it in, it's fully charged much quicker than I expect. It could also be because the battery doesn't drain as quickly as my 3D does, so it usually has less to charge. I don't know.

Its not just you. It charges retardo fast

Brightman posted:

I think the charger it comes with is better than most, or at least better than my old ones (at least I think it's the same charger as my Note 2's, white/black with the usb port on the side?). If you have a Nexus 7 use that thing's charger, drat phone will be full in a half hour (I'm probably exaggerating a bit).

I use a blackberry charger at home and a generic belkin stand one at the girls house. I dont even have the samsung one. The thing just sucks juice in like a vampire and its awesome.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
So, it looks like my EVO 3D decided to break on me. Receiver's painfully quiet. Speaker is quieter but i can still make a call out if I hold it close. Earbuds have been a temporary fix for the time being. Going to flash back to Stock and see if that fixes anything, but, if it persists, what are my options?

I'm on a family plan (1500/everything) and don't have insurance on the phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

bobfather posted:

It's kosher dude. I'll be flashing one next week to start getting my contract with sprint voided.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...

Duckman2008 posted:

It's kosher dude. I'll be flashing one next week to start getting my contract with sprint voided.

I've tried with my iPhone 5, but I just keep getting stuck with No Service, and having to roll back to my Sprint PRL. Is the fact that it's labelled as Sprint_LTE_US.bundle messing with things?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bobfather posted:

There's an app on XDA called "Sprint Diagnostics" and it's like a loving Swiss army knife for that kind of stuff. You have to be rooted and it has to be installed as a system app (I.e. flashed, not just installed in the OS like an apk) but once it's there you can just switch between PRL's on the fly nice and easy.

Been using one called 00001 and another called 01337-Mod (:pcgaming:) and despite being about as fast as Sprint, there's better coverage and as Duckman said, it's a ticket out of the contract.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Is there a way to force roam on Verizon with my iPhone 4S? I'd LOVE to have Sprint kick me off contract so I can get out of my ETF...

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Priss In Plate posted:

So, it looks like my EVO 3D decided to break on me. Receiver's painfully quiet. Speaker is quieter but i can still make a call out if I hold it close. Earbuds have been a temporary fix for the time being. Going to flash back to Stock and see if that fixes anything, but, if it persists, what are my options?

I'm on a family plan (1500/everything) and don't have insurance on the phone.

If going back to stock doesn't fix it you can take it to a Full service sprint store and they'll replace it for $50.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

NerdsMcGee posted:

I've tried with my iPhone 5, but I just keep getting stuck with No Service, and having to roll back to my Sprint PRL. Is the fact that it's labelled as Sprint_LTE_US.bundle messing with things?

It definitely works on the iPhone 5. I used Verizon PRL 52644. I think I found it on HowardForums. I followed the steps on there, but the only hiccup was that after installing the PRL and changing the setting in the .plist file, the phone said "searching", but never went to "no signal". I let it sit at "searching" for about 5 minutes, then changed the .plist setting back and rebooted. I then had Verizon (verified by using *2). Also, through some black magic all of my SMS, MMS, and data worked fine.

I have that PRL saved for a rainy day, but I then restored back to Sprint's PRL because I get pretty good, fast LTE coverage here in Houston.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

There's an app on XDA called "Sprint Diagnostics" and it's like a loving Swiss army knife for that kind of stuff. You have to be rooted and it has to be installed as a system app (I.e. flashed, not just installed in the OS like an apk) but once it's there you can just switch between PRL's on the fly nice and easy.

Been using one called 00001 and another called 01337-Mod (:pcgaming:) and despite being about as fast as Sprint, there's better coverage and as Duckman said, it's a ticket out of the contract.

Does this work on any Sprint phone running CM10? I've got an Evo 3D running CM10 and I'd love to use this. Not to get out of my contract, it's just that I have terrible reception in some places so I'd like to be able to switch easily.

Edit: nevermind, seems to work on most AOSP roms but it's pretty device-specific.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 6, 2013

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Thanks for all your help over the years Duckman. Hopefully someone else can jump in and fill your shoes.

Has anyone looked at Ting? They seem pretty sweet if you don't mind using a slightly older phone and don't use a ton of data. You can get 500 minutes 2,000 texts and 1GB data for $47. The best phones you can bring over is a Nexus S, GS2 or Photon 4G unless you want to buy a phone at full price.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Played with a Note II today. It looks ridiculously huge as far as a phone goes, but it seems awesome all the same.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ZeroAX posted:

Thanks for all your help over the years Duckman. Hopefully someone else can jump in and fill your shoes.

Has anyone looked at Ting? They seem pretty sweet if you don't mind using a slightly older phone and don't use a ton of data. You can get 500 minutes 2,000 texts and 1GB data for $47. The best phones you can bring over is a Nexus S, GS2 or Photon 4G unless you want to buy a phone at full price.

Oddly me and him are trading places. He's going Att which I'm gone from and I'm going to sprint (Corp).

Duck. I have a feeling we need to be Skype buddies. I have this sneaking suspicion were gonna have tons of inside poo poo to bitch about.

So I'll do my best to keep on the thread like I used to for Att. Which is non stop at times and others it seems I died.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
This forum is amazing :allears:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FlyingCheese posted:

Does this work on any Sprint phone running CM10? I've got an Evo 3D running CM10 and I'd love to use this. Not to get out of my contract, it's just that I have terrible reception in some places so I'd like to be able to switch easily.

Edit: nevermind, seems to work on most AOSP roms but it's pretty device-specific.

It's worth a shot - at worst you will end up having to find a way around it, at best you can flash prls at the drop of a hat.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

bobfather posted:

It definitely works on the iPhone 5. I used Verizon PRL 52644. I think I found it on HowardForums. I followed the steps on there, but the only hiccup was that after installing the PRL and changing the setting in the .plist file, the phone said "searching", but never went to "no signal". I let it sit at "searching" for about 5 minutes, then changed the .plist setting back and rebooted. I then had Verizon (verified by using *2). Also, through some black magic all of my SMS, MMS, and data worked fine.

I have that PRL saved for a rainy day, but I then restored back to Sprint's PRL because I get pretty good, fast LTE coverage here in Houston.

That was informative enough for me to look everything up. I just re-upped with Sprint but NV seems to be going nowhere in Sprint and my immediate area is just terrible for service. I'm routinely at poor signal in house and I have to wonder even if NV rolls out here, am I still on the fringe. Definitely going to use this when some rainy day comes.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
So I'm thinking about trading my iPhone 5 for a Note II or should I just wait for the Note III? Is there an eta when that will be released.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

drat it took me until last night before I realized I could have flashed the Verizon PRL. It could have saved me months of headache thanks to lack of reception at my office.

Working perfectly with the app (it was already included in AOKP) and nice to have data inside a building for once.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I had an odd dream that Sprint was getting the next Nokia Windows Phone that was said to have a real PureView camera...

Can dreams be valid rumor sources?

Either way I cannot wait to get off android.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

EbolaIvory posted:

Oddly me and him are trading places. He's going Att which I'm gone from and I'm going to sprint (Corp).

Duck. I have a feeling we need to be Skype buddies. I have this sneaking suspicion were gonna have tons of inside poo poo to bitch about.

So I'll do my best to keep on the thread like I used to for Att. Which is non stop at times and others it seems I died.

Whelp, I was going to PM you but you are lame and don't have a forums upgrade.

Email me at jimplaysdrums at gmail and I will get you my contact info. I don't use Skype much, I much prefer google talk. But either way, I'm always good for wireless gossip and lord knows I have a ton on both sprint and ATT.

SeaborneClink posted:

This forum is amazing :allears:

Friendships are formed in this forum.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Duckman2008 posted:

Best :10bux: I ever spent...

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...
So, I managed to get the PRL on my iPhone 5, but I don't get Welcome to Verizon when I dial *2, I still get Welcome to Sprint. I must be doing something wrong. Ideas? :(

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

If you go to settings, general, about and click on Carrier what PRL number comes up, and does that number match the Verizon PRL you supposedly installed?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Duckman2008 posted:

Whelp, I was going to PM you but you are lame and don't have a forums upgrade.

Email me at jimplaysdrums at gmail and I will get you my contact info. I don't use Skype much, I much prefer google talk. But either way, I'm always good for wireless gossip and lord knows I have a ton on both sprint and ATT.

Yeah ill shoot you an email. I didnt upgrade for PMs. Im lame.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

This... is... AMAZING. I flashed the 1337 prl and I was actually able to use data at a decent speed inside my building at work, for the first time ever. All that time wasted struggling to get one or two pages to load... Thank you so much for alerting me to this app! I wanted to flash a different prl before but I was too lazy to do the footwork, and this makes it incredibly easy.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bobula posted:

This... is... AMAZING. I flashed the 1337 prl and I was actually able to use data at a decent speed inside my building at work, for the first time ever. All that time wasted struggling to get one or two pages to load... Thank you so much for alerting me to this app! I wanted to flash a different prl before but I was too lazy to do the footwork, and this makes it incredibly easy.

Be aware that there are apparently newer versions of the roam-only PRL. I am not sure if they qualify as :filez: due to the hazy legality of getting a contract voided by misrepresenting service conditions (I.e. you aren't in an actual dead zone, you're forcing your phone to roam so you can avoid the ETF when Sprint nixes you)

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
Not sure if anyone else has experience with this, but I thought I'd ask here.

My wife and I got HTC EVO 4G LTE units last year on Sprint and all of a sudden are both are now giving us issues.

1 - My phone - Can connect to Wifi, and 3g, but I get no data on 4g LTE. Could this just be a system issue in Chicago?

2 - Wife's Phone - Her phone will randomly go to the Recent Apps multitasking page. Worst is when this happens when she is using google navigator and it drops out of the program.

Any help/thoughts?

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

Paul Proteus posted:

Not sure if anyone else has experience with this, but I thought I'd ask here.

My wife and I got HTC EVO 4G LTE units last year on Sprint and all of a sudden are both are now giving us issues.

1 - My phone - Can connect to Wifi, and 3g, but I get no data on 4g LTE. Could this just be a system issue in Chicago?

2 - Wife's Phone - Her phone will randomly go to the Recent Apps multitasking page. Worst is when this happens when she is using google navigator and it drops out of the program.

Any help/thoughts?

I just got a Galaxy Note 2 and this morning at around 8:30 in the middle of driving between Indianapolis and Bloomington IN data just stopped. I flipped over to CDMA only mode and it seems fine. Just reached my destination and flipped back to LTE and it still isn't working... wondering if there is a 4G outage.

Edit: appears fine now

Fancy_Lad fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 7, 2013

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Be aware that there are apparently newer versions of the roam-only PRL. I am not sure if they qualify as :filez: due to the hazy legality of getting a contract voided by misrepresenting service conditions (I.e. you aren't in an actual dead zone, you're forcing your phone to roam so you can avoid the ETF when Sprint nixes you)

I'm not trying to get dropped and will switch PRLs when I'm not as work because Sprint isn't so bad at home and around LA, it's just horrendous at work.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I just got my Samsung Galaxy S3, jesus is this phone large!

Do you guys recommend a screen protector or is it not necessary?

Should I flash CM 9/10?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I don't see any need for a screen protector with the S3. Just run stock, touchwiz isn't too bad.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

I don't see any need for a screen protector with the S3. Just run stock, touchwiz isn't too bad.

New launcher (Nova/Apex) plus stock Google apps will give you 90% of the AOSP experience.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
I was tempted to get an Optimus G, but the lack of any sort of Android development on what apparently is a CDMA/non-Nexus Nexus 4 is baffling. What's the popular opinion on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Matlock posted:

I was tempted to get an Optimus G, but the lack of any sort of Android development on what apparently is a CDMA/non-Nexus Nexus 4 is baffling.
It has three problems:
  • Only Sprint, AT&T, and international models. And of those the Sprint model is the only one folks might care about (mostly because vvv)
  • Locked bootloader, although apparently flashing a Nexus 4 bootloader unlocks it, possibly with some weirdness or loss of functionality, haven't been keeping up.
  • CyanogenMod's LG expert is European and doesn't touch CDMA.
  • Nexus device maintainers are typically unwilling to accomodate close-but-non-Nexus devices because it's a maintenance overhead on "merge AOSP" and for fear it'll break poo poo.
Contrast that to the SGS3 which has lots of CDMA exposure (at least Sprint, Verizon, US Cellular, MetroPCS, and Cricket), and is close enough to both the Qualcomm reference platform and the Nexus 4, that a quorum of folks have rallied behind it and made it work reasonably well. Also Cyanogen gets free (Samsung) work phones.