Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Watermelon City posted:

Can someone give me more info on the zooms' poopiness?

f4.5 and worse glass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

f4.5 and worse glass

Yeah it's more a matter of the non zoom lens being a competent lens than the zoom one being worse than any other 35mm p&s lens.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Is it just because I live in a country less than 150 years old or have Canonet prices loving shot up since the OP was written in '11. It lists the Canonet GIII as "about $20" on ebay. I'm having trouble finding one for less than 100. I'd really like a little flexible 35mm compact and I've been looking at the Minolta Hi-Matic 7s as an alternative but drat even they're $80-$150.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

XTimmy posted:

Is it just because I live in a country less than 150 years old or have Canonet prices loving shot up since the OP was written in '11. It lists the Canonet GIII as "about $20" on ebay. I'm having trouble finding one for less than 100. I'd really like a little flexible 35mm compact and I've been looking at the Minolta Hi-Matic 7s as an alternative but drat even they're $80-$150.

Yeah those prices are stupidly high, but I've seen them go for ~$40 on eBay.

Also, country less than 150 years old? Let me guess, you either live in Bhutan or Botswana.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

QPZIL posted:

Yeah those prices are stupidly high, but I've seen them go for ~$40 on eBay.

Also, country less than 150 years old? Let me guess, you either live in Bhutan or Botswana.

I was about to say Italy, but remembered we're actually 152 y.o. as a country.

Anyway there's plenty of cheap wonderful cameras, just don't go for the ones that are fashioned right now.
I have two FEDs that are frequently in my camera rotation pattern, paid less than a dinner each.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Yeah...you're not gonna find a QL17 or QL19 for $20.

Anything less that $70 is good, less than $50 is great. $20 is fair for a Canonet 28, but they're much less desirable.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The Olympus 35RC is the best of its type if you ask me. It's super compact and light and can do both manual and automatic. If you don't need manual controls, get an Olympus XA. It's possibly the most compact film camera with an actual rangefinder mechanism.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Spedman posted:

Thanks, I always forget how much work is required to get 35mm just right with scanning and colour correcting.

Try freestyle and the film photography podcast online stores, and I'm a big fan of macodirect.de too for chemicals. And buying Foma film directly from them is great value too. But if I remember Awkward, you're in NY? Just go to B&H and Adorama.

Was looking for a possibly cheaper/more direct online option (mythical, I know).

I'll check out Foma, thanks.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

XTimmy posted:

Is it just because I live in a country less than 150 years old or have Canonet prices loving shot up since the OP was written in '11.

I would have guessed New Zealand, but there really is hundreds of aboriginal history and independence was granted just 160 years ago.

I have an original model canonet which as far as I can tell are still reasonably priced. Their cons compared to the QL's generally are quite forgivable:

-Selenium meter, but the QL's all have CdS's that need mercury batteries.
-More difficult to load than the QL's, but it's easy to pick up after a couple rolls. If you get a changing bag you can still squeeze out 39-ish exposures on a 36 roll, otherwise you're stuck with 36.
-Have issues with sticky shutters that are hard to rebuild, but I think the QL series also share this problem?
-Kinda huge and chunky and heavy, built with lots of metal components which is a pro or a con depending on how you feel.

quote:

Also I really don't like how this entire thread has basically turned into the "Go on ebay and buy the first ten epics you see because it's THE BESSSSSSST" but the zooms are poop so stop buying them regardless of how cheap they may be at your Goodwill and just get the non-zoom model.

Also as a side note I wanna add a plug to the original Mju-1 with the f/3.5, nobody gives any love to the non epics in general on the internet. I have one and I know the shutter doesn't have such a huge range and the lens is marginally worse, but I've taken some of my favourite photos on that thing. I also consider it much prettier than the epic. :colbert:

I'm starting to realise all my cameras are just slightly inferior versions of cool kid's cameras... :negative:

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Australia, we were only federated in 1901. Before then we were a bunch of lawless colonies.
I'm open to suggestions, my only real necessities are a fast (<f2.0) lens, AE and manual control. It's why I was looking at the Hi Matic 7s. Fits all those bills, but still hard to find over here.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

XTimmy posted:

Australia, we were only federated in 1901. Before then we were a bunch of lawless colonies.
I'm open to suggestions, my only real necessities are a fast (<f2.0) lens, AE and manual control. It's why I was looking at the Hi Matic 7s. Fits all those bills, but still hard to find over here.

Consider a Yashica GSN. There aren't as many superfast AE cameras out there. At f/2.8, there's the Olympus XA, and the wide lens and piezo shutter buy you the ability to shoot a bit slower.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

XTimmy posted:

I've got a Hi-Matic 7sii, its pretty neat little camera. If you're looking into one make sure the seller can confirm that the meter is working, the connection between that and the battery can be a bit flakey.

boydx
Feb 25, 2006

No school like the old school.

Trambopaline posted:

Also as a side note I wanna add a plug to the original Mju-1 with the f/3.5, nobody gives any love to the non epics in general on the internet. I have one and I know the shutter doesn't have such a huge range and the lens is marginally worse, but I've taken some of my favourite photos on that thing. I also consider it much prettier than the epic. :colbert:

I'm starting to realise all my cameras are just slightly inferior versions of cool kid's cameras... :negative:

Yeah have to agree with this. I got mine recently for cheap as hell and was considering finding an epic but this thing takes great pictures and I think looks nicer too.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Is there a compelling reason not to get a Canon ELPH? f/2.8, small, nice-looking, cheap as hell? I know it's not the Infinity Stylus Epic...

edit: not 35mm film lol

Watermelon City fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jan 31, 2013

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Watermelon City posted:

Is there a compelling reason not to get a Canon ELPH? f/2.8, small, nice-looking, cheap as hell? I know it's not the Infinity Stylus Epic...

As far as I can tell it's only f/4.5 with a zoom lens :confused:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Anyone seen/used on of these bad boys before? (Voigtlander Vito C Compact)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170986094358&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:AU:1123

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Spedman posted:

Anyone seen/used on of these bad boys before? (Voigtlander Vito C Compact)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170986094358&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:AU:1123

I don't know that particular model but I'd bet money that it's a Minox rebadge or clone. If it performs like the Minox it's a real cute little camera that will produce high-quality results. I also think some of Voigtlander's other Vito viewfinder/rangefinder cameras are real cute.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Cute Cameras ITT

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

I recently won an eBay auction for an Olympus Infinity Mini! It doesn't get the same love that the μ[mju:] series does, but the Infinity Mini has the same 3.5 lens as the μ[mju:]-1 and takes AA batteries. It seems to go for less than the mjus, so it's another option for people tired of being outbid for beat up μ[mju:]-1s.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That Mini is crazy small, looks like a perfect "bring out to nightclubs and hope your friends don't destroy it" camera.

boydx
Feb 25, 2006

No school like the old school.

DSC00018

DSC00035

Couple from my Olympus Mju. Developed in D 76 1+1, still trying to get the hang of it!

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela
Here are some from my MjuII taken last year in Colombia. Shot with Lomo xpro film. Great small camera to travel with. Ran out of batteries somewhere in Bolivia, took a while to track down some batteries.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Very nice :)

I just got a roll of Delta 3200 back that I shot in my Olympus Stylus Infinity Epic:

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That Mini is crazy small, looks like a perfect "bring out to nightclubs and hope your friends don't destroy it" camera.
Thanks to the AA battery compartment it's wider than the ISE. The Infinity Mini is definitely compact, though

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

I received my first roll shot with the Infinity Mini:

579420-R1-21-3 by zackaryattackary, on Flickr

579420-R1-04-20 by zackaryattackary, on Flickr

It seems comparable to what you'd get from a µ[mju:].

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Watermelon City posted:

I received my first roll shot with the Infinity Mini:

579420-R1-21-3 by zackaryattackary, on Flickr

579420-R1-04-20 by zackaryattackary, on Flickr

It seems comparable to what you'd get from a µ[mju:].

They look like perfectly fine pics to me. Doesn't the mini have a 35mm f3.5 lens? That would make it only slightly less bright than the mju.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I just bought a little lot of point and shoots just for the Fuji DL-200 included:

It takes a proprietary, hard-wired battery and has no way to disable the auto flash but has a nice 35mm f2.8 lens and neat drop-in loading gate. Having no cable T.V. in the house, I have decided to amuse myself by cramming a fresh battery pack made from a pair of CR123 batteries, duct tape, and a paper clip in the battery compartment, drilling a hole in the case by the flash circuit to solder a switch into the flash circuit, and proceeding to take lovely pictures of I don't even know what.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Toronto, you so crazy http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/pho/3677644363.html

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

The price is negotiable.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Knowing Toronto sellers, it's negotiable to like 20$ off. Funnily enough I sold my Stylus Epic (gold) for 60$ a month or so ago.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Was given one of these badboys. Not technically a point and shoot, but everything is so dang small it might as well be. It's got a battery issue (aka the batteries were mercury and are now illegal etc etc).

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
My last thrift store point and shoot decided advancing my film was a horrible idea so I picked up another $2 wonder. At least this guy is stylish even if the focus scale is terrible.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Miso Beno posted:

My last thrift store point and shoot decided advancing my film was a horrible idea so I picked up another $2 wonder. At least this guy is stylish even if the focus scale is terrible.

Cool camera

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
35mm point and shoot megathread (or "watch my family drink")

mju-ii + portra 400, minilab scans

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
Realized I have never posted a single photo itt, here's 3 of the same guy.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Dude's got a sense of humor. I like that.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

I like this a lot.

Ethanfr0me
Feb 2, 2012
I just found a Yashica T4 Zoom for cheap at a flea market, is there a big difference between it and the regular T4? I'm wondering if it is worth keeping or if I should try reselling it to get something nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ethanfr0me posted:

I just found a Yashica T4 Zoom for cheap at a flea market, is there a big difference between it and the regular T4? I'm wondering if it is worth keeping or if I should try reselling it to get something nicer.

It's probably better than your average point and shoot but it won't be anywhere near as good as something with a fast prime lens (the reason people buy high end P+S). I would check to see what you can get out of it first.

• Locked thread