Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Mr. Despair posted:

The camera showed up! It felt a little weird, so I attached an ME Super to it, hopefully it leeches off some goodness.

:getin:

You should load the same film in both and take simultaneous shots of everything and post them here so we can have a proper Canon vs Pentax fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

echobucket posted:

You should load the same film in both and take simultaneous shots of everything and post them here so we can have a proper Canon vs Pentax fight.

Unlike a *digital* Canon vs. Pentax fight, which ends in people just rolling around laughing uncontrollably and one guy with a really colourful camera off in the corner looking sad.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

The FD mount is weird and I want to finish shooting this roll fast so that it doesn't spread to my good cameras.

:gonk:

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 7, 2013

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Yeah, I really didn't like it either.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The FD mount is a Breech-lock, unlike the bayonet mount of the K-mount Pentax (and pretty much every other interchangeable-lens camera mount since the early-1980's). It does take a bit of getting used to.

How are you planning to develop the Kodachrome? You mentioned ordering something, is there a not-horribly-complicated-and-toxic method?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
It's either B&W or go crazy like that Australian guy from APUG who managed to do the K14 process in his shed.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Spedman posted:

It's either B&W or go crazy like that Australian guy from APUG who managed to do the K14 process in his shed.

I think that guy was a retired Kodak engineer right? Not that I doubt Mrdespair's mad science skills but....

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Yeah, I think he was something like that, he basically wanted to prove that you could do it, and then not tell anyone how he did it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Spedman posted:

Yeah, I think he was something like that, he basically wanted to prove that you could do it, and then not tell anyone how he did it.

Sounds like Kodak's MO.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-samurai posted:

Sounds like Kodak's MO.

The future is basement K14 processing. And inkjet printers. Mostly inkjet printers.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I know a guy who does k14 processing.

This guy is me, and my k14 process is actually just hc110 for a few minutes with some vigorous rubbing to get the remjet off or something. I'll probably shoot a roll of color as a backup:ssh:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

ExecuDork posted:

The FD mount is a Breech-lock, unlike the bayonet mount of the K-mount Pentax (and pretty much every other interchangeable-lens camera mount since the early-1980's). It does take a bit of getting used to.
Although there was also the 'new FD' mount, which is a Breech lock masquerading as a Bayonet mount, where you still twist the whole lens to mount/unmount. I have both styles for the F1 & A1 I acquired from my dad, and in use the 'new fd' is just as natural as a true bayonet.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 8, 2013

Frost
Dec 6, 2003
Don't let the Frost bite you
Hey, I absolutely love this idea!

I'm not a regular here, I leech from time to time. But to proove that I'm worthy, hardcore as gently caress and that I like yoghurt, here's a blurry cellphone pic of the bottom drawer of my fridge:

So when the camera comes to central Europe, I'd love to show you goons what Cologne, Germany looks like.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Frost posted:

So when the camera comes to central Europe, I'd love to show you goons what Cologne, Germany looks like.

What I want to know is how it smells.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
This week I have learned that while most smells cannot be captured on film, "campfire" can be, in the form of the golden-hour-all-day-long effect caused by nearby bushfires. All you need to do is set several square kilometres on fire, and you too can preserve the scent of a cozy hearth for eternity!

I don't know how much Eau de Toilette you'd have to incinerate to immortalize the visual signature of central Europe.

Seriously, though, thanks for signing on, Frost. Sooner or Later the camera will make it to Europe, if you're still around at that point we'll try to get it to you. The only part of Germany I've seen is Frankfurt's airport, I'm sure the importance of cooly efficient grey trains is at least a little less in the rest of the country.

Frost
Dec 6, 2003
Awesome, I'll check in now and then and I'm keeping an eye on the tumblr.

SoundMonkey posted:

What I want to know is how it smells.

I'll be sure to include an iconic ironic shot of the 4711 house

ExecuDork posted:

I'm sure the importance of cooly efficient grey trains is at least a little less in the rest of the country.

Let's not kid ourselves.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I was in Europe for three months last year, including about a day in Cologne. I saw four car accidents in the city, the only four accidents I saw on the entire trip.

A month and a half of that trip was spent in Paris and Rome. You Kolnites really can't drive.

Frost
Dec 6, 2003
Oh, must've been a bad day. I thought driving in the US is the worst, but it's all anecdotal evidence at best. So I guess I'll include a shot of someone driving without causing an accident!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN THEE, CAMERA THREAD. Although I have been bogged down with homework, but thankfully I don't care about that anymore!

So I'm halfway through the roll of kodachrome, and I"m going to finish that up today and tomorrow (and run a quick 12 frame roll of c-41 through it too just in case my experiment goes horribly wrong). So that means I'll be mailing the camera off on thursday or friday.

THEREFORE someone needs to tell me why I should send the camera to them, that way I can mail it off the second I finish shooting off this film. I'm not keeping this camera another weekend!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Seriously guys, someone call dibs because I'm starting at shift at the lab next week and while it would be cool to take the camera there, it might also make it hard for me to mail until the next weekend.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Mr. Despair posted:

Seriously guys, someone call dibs because I'm starting at shift at the lab next week and while it would be cool to take the camera there, it might also make it hard for me to mail until the next weekend.

If no other dibs are called and the camera doesn't mind a trip near the northeast again... I can take it in Pittsburgh for a week to shoot bridges, cemeteries and the failed dream of a winning season of the Pirates. Then ship it off to whoever wants it next in the country.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

If it is going to Pittsburgh, perhaps it could come back around to NJ and let us try to redeem NY.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
I'll toss my hat in the ring. I'm in South Carolina and I don't mind sending it internationally.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I will be mostly out-of-internet-access for at least a week, starting Saturday (which is Friday for most of you, because :australia: and the International Date Line). I'm just going to assume the rest of you can settle any disputes and make all necessary decisions.

I'm totally fine with the camera going to the NE USA, SE USA, flat empty bit in the middle of the USA, Texas, internationally, anything. You guys figure it out, I just want to see pictures! (you who have shot this camera and NOT YET POSTED THE PICTURES know who you are)

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I thought it was going to me or xzzy next.

I will certainly use it to take pictures of cows tending their oil wells, then develop the film in the pelican case, in the manner of a boss.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

squidflakes posted:

I thought it was going to me or xzzy next.

I will certainly use it to take pictures of cows tending their oil wells, then develop the film in the pelican case, in the manner of a boss.

Well it can't get to you if you don't pm an address or something.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

BY DECREE OF THE HIGH COUNCIL OF REALLY BAD POSTERS, SQUIDFLAKES GETS IT NEXT

pm mrdespair your address scrub

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I'd better see a cow tending an oil well though.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
PM Sent!

Oh, there will be cows. Oh yes. Oh my yes.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
See? That was easy. It's all about the communication.

And Decrees from On High.

Somebody go find xzzy and figure out if he wants it after squidflakes.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

BY DECREE OF THE HIGH COUNCIL OF REALLY BAD POSTERS, SQUIDFLAKES GETS IT NEXT

pm mrdespair your address scrub

Actually I'm going to let forums user ZALGO shoot it next.

Mostly because he's going to go out with me tomorrow to shoot off a few more rolls before this camera gets mailed out on Saturday. That's right, there's going to be TWO people from SoDak participating.

But yeah, I'll get the camera sent out to squidflakes on saturday and I'll be tossing in some film to boot. Hope everyone likes expired fuji 100!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The pictures have been taken. Sadly I'm an rear end in a top hat who can't load film, so the roll I had Zalgo shoot didn't come out at all because it didn't actually get onto the spool right. So in memorium here's a picture of forums user Zalgo realizing that the camera was not, in fact, and ME Super.

What by MrDespair, on Flickr

Will be deving the kodachrome tonight hopefully and getting everything scanned over the weekend.

e. good news, zalgo's pictures came out, it was my roll that didn't!

gently caress! Time to dev this kodachrome :buddy:

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 15, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

gently caress

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Well, there's your problem - Dixie cups are notoriously inaccurately graduated, you'll never get your concentrations right with them.

What the hell is the dark crud on your reel? And why is it sitting on the lid of the tank like that - from the grip around the rim, that looks a lot like the lid of my tank, but the central spindle would stick up way further, and anyway I've never tried to place the components together upside-down like that.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The black stuff is a thin film of rem-jet covering everything. I'm not sure I care enough about having 2 clean spools to actually bother cleaning the rest of that gunk off.

The negs look great though!

It's sitting like that just because I'm cleaning up the mess from developing, nothing weird (not pictured: a real graduated cylinder that I fill with the dixie cups because it's too tall to fit under the faucet :effort:)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The great kodachrome experiment is complete.

poo poo's weird, yo.

kodachrome030.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

kodachrome038.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Sadly only those two shots wound up looking cool in color.

kodachrome019.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

kodachrome010.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

kodachrome024.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Zalgo has been sent his scans so hopefully he'll have his stuff edited soon enough, and once I get the email address for the tumblr I'll throw everything up there. It's all in a set on flickr for now though.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

loving awesome.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Wait, how'd you get color out of the kodachrome?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

a foolish pianist posted:

Wait, how'd you get color out of the kodachrome?

Scanned the negs as positives, inverted them, played with the curves, and some of them started tripping balls when I did that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Those photos are pretty awesome.

• Locked thread