Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

lenoon posted:

You know the one. the carpenter

:smith: I've read that book so many goddamn times. I swear my copy of that omnibus is so loving wrinkled and worn it's a wonder it hasn't disintegrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
Just finished ploughing through Betrayer by ADB and Angel Exterminatus by Graham McNeill. I could not stop reading them. :stare: It's really something when a couple of books essentially based on toy soldiermens in space can grip me like this.

Especially loved Roboute's reaction and fight with his brothers in Betrayer and Perturabo's character overall in Exterminatus

Has anyone read Priests of Mars by Graham McNeill? I think the ebook has been out for a while now and I do love me some AdMech. I'm on the edge of getting it but I don't want to buy it if it's one of McNeill's lesser stories.

I've also recently (attempted) to read Gav Thorpe's Deliverance Lost. I read it for the Alpha Legion, ended up feeling like the HH series should be locked to anyone but Dan Abnett, ADB and Graham McNeill. I mean goddamn, he even made the scenes with Horus and Co. cringe-worthy and somehow reminiscent of some 80's/90's cartoon show with all the villainous posturing.

spootime
Oct 31, 2010

Frankly posted:

Just finished ploughing through Betrayer by ADB and Angel Exterminatus by Graham McNeill. I could not stop reading them. :stare: It's really something when a couple of books essentially based on toy soldiermens in space can grip me like this.

Especially loved Roboute's reaction and fight with his brothers in Betrayer and Perturabo's character overall in Exterminatus

Has anyone read Priests of Mars by Graham McNeill? I think the ebook has been out for a while now and I do love me some AdMech. I'm on the edge of getting it but I don't want to buy it if it's one of McNeill's lesser stories.

I've also recently (attempted) to read Gav Thorpe's Deliverance Lost. I read it for the Alpha Legion, ended up feeling like the HH series should be locked to anyone but Dan Abnett, ADB and Graham McNeill. I mean goddamn, he even made the scenes with Horus and Co. cringe-worthy and somehow reminiscent of some 80's/90's cartoon show with all the villainous posturing.

Deliverance Lost was so hard to read. They literally gave him the most interesting loving material they could and he still ruined it. God drat you Gav Thorpe.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
And here I was, thinking Angels of Darkness was supposed to be good. :( I liked Astelan at least. :v:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ravenwing is actually a decent book even if some things don't really make a whole lot of sense.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

spootime posted:

Deliverance Lost was so hard to read. They literally gave him the most interesting loving material they could and he still ruined it. God drat you Gav Thorpe.

This is what frustrated me the most about this book I think. A lot of people were really interested in Alpha Legion in the Heresy and I can imagine this is what the DA heresy books were to the DA fans. I didn't even know the "alpha legion operative" sections were meant to be from different operatives because I was so tired of the book that I'd given up trying to differentiate Brother X from Brother Y and just wanted to finish it and be done with it.

Luckily I read Know No Fear and the first Ravenor book soon after and they eased the pain. I just love Abnett's ability to paint a picture in the reader's mind of the characters and their environment, especially on some of the strange future-gone-wrong worlds the Inquisition series take place on.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Frankly posted:

Rob Sanders' The Serpent Beneath is great if you want more Alpha Legion. It's part of The Primarchs book, but the other stories are subpar compared to it.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Frankly posted:

I thought it was the best thing McNeill has yet written. His writing style in it was a huge improvement over a lot of his prior work. The descriptions of Mechanicus technology and all that were a joy to read. Be forewarned that it's the first book in a supposed series though, so it ends on a total cliffhanger with no resolution at all.

At this point I think that McNeill is best when writing about either Chaos or the Mechanicus; everything else he's put out is unremarkable at best.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
ADB has kind of ruined me when it comes to Chaos, and I suspect it'll only get worse once he starts rolling out his Black Legion series.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
Are lho sticks space cigarettes or space weed? This is important :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Depends who's asking I guess.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Therion posted:

Are lho sticks space cigarettes or space weed? This is important :v:
Cigarette. Obscura is closer to weed, though more addictive.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I always thought obscura was basically opium. I also recall some mention of t'bac unless I'm mixing my fake scifi drugs.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Holy poop, guys. Just finished Pariah last night, and it really does end abruptly although I did enjoy the ending. I have nothing really to add that hasn't already been said, but man. Eisenhorn is in some seriously deep poo poo. I can't wait to see what happens next to them.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Eisenhorn has been in the deep end ever since he started using that Daemonhost. Oddly though Ravenor's been okay with it, I mean he's done awkward stuff too, like collaborating with the Eldar on ocassion (ironicly, Eisenhorn critized him for this) and he's seen Eisenhorn use it before too.

So I wonder what changed that made Ravenor decide that Eisenhorn is too radical now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Eisenhorn is Ordo Maleus leaning and Ravenor is Ordo Xenos leaning, and with them both being Radicals then clearly everyone but them is doing it wrong.

:40k: basically.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Demiurge4 posted:

Eisenhorn has been in the deep end ever since he started using that Daemonhost. Oddly though Ravenor's been okay with it, I mean he's done awkward stuff too, like collaborating with the Eldar on ocassion (ironicly, Eisenhorn critized him for this) and he's seen Eisenhorn use it before too.

So I wonder what changed that made Ravenor decide that Eisenhorn is too radical now.

I don't recall Ravenor seeing Eisenhorn's little demon buddy. I know some of the warband end up seeing him in Pariah but when were other times he's popped up that Ravenor would be aware of? As for Ravenor working with the Eldar sometimes isn't the lore full of instances were the Imperium and Eldar will stop dicking with each other long enough to kill tyranids or orks?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ravenor is there in the joint mission at the end fight of the Eisenhorn Trilogy. Cherubael is pretty out in the open at that point.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I always thought obscura was basically opium. I also recall some mention of t'bac unless I'm mixing my fake scifi drugs.
Wait, you're right - I was thinking of something else apparently. Psykers use Obscura to enter a state more conducive to receiving stuff form the warp, so yeah, opium-like.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

Trast posted:

I don't recall Ravenor seeing Eisenhorn's little demon buddy. I know some of the warband end up seeing him in Pariah but when were other times he's popped up that Ravenor would be aware of? As for Ravenor working with the Eldar sometimes isn't the lore full of instances were the Imperium and Eldar will stop dicking with each other long enough to kill tyranids or orks?

Cherubael was in Thorn Wishes Talon. Iirc Ravenor and Eisenhorn were having a chat face to face when Eisenhorn replied with what amounted to "Sick em, boy!" when he got little puppy demon eyes wanting to kill staring at him .

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

And then he chops a dread in half with a sword.

Eisenhorn's gonna chop up Prof X and be all "this is for your own good ravenor". And then jump into a sidecar of an attack bike and ride it into the heart of the sun with Cherubael and Nayl will be like "SICK NASTY hardman" and then they come to earth for some reason but it's earth in the 1970's because of how time travel works in the warp and they'll meet up with Gene Simmons and all form KISS, which later turns out to be a secret cabal of psychics who pool their essence to form the Emperor. So then they travel forward in time through (stasis? I feel like that would work) and we find out it was actually Nayl having a fag that scattered the primarchs, then cypher comes in and is like "Look who I brought" and it's Gaunt out of nowhere and he stabs Abbadon in the heart but it misses the first heart and then all our favourite Ghosts characters pour out of the vents of a blackstone fortress that Elrad has been chilling in with Slaanesh who in a shocking twist WAS GENE SIMMONS ALL ALONG and so GW have to advance the storyline because of how badass that would be.

I'll take my check now, Abnett. You're welcome.

edit: drat, you're right.

lenoon fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 7, 2013

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

lenoon posted:

And then he chops a dread in half with a sword.

Eisenhorn's gonna chop up Prof X and be all "this is for your own good ravenor". And then jump into a sidecar of an attack bike and ride it into the heart of the sun with Cherubael and Nayl will be like "SICK NASTY hardman" and then they come to earth for some reason but it's earth in the 1970's because of how time travel works in the warp and they'll meet up with Gene Simmons and all form KISS, which later turns out to be a secret cabal of psychics who pool their essence to form the Emperor. So then they travel forward in time through (stasis? I feel like that would work) and we find out it was actually Nayl having a fag that scattered the primarchs, then cypher comes in and is like "Look who I brought" and it's Gaunt out of nowhere and he stabs Abbadon in the heart but it misses the first heart and then all our favourite Ghosts characters pour out of the vents of a blackstone fortress that Elrad has been chilling in with Slaanesh who in a shocking twist WAS GENE SIMMONS ALL ALONG and so GW have to advance the storyline because of how badass that would be.

I'll take my check now, Abnett. You're welcome.

You forgot that Alpharius' genes get accidentally mixed with a venus fly trap and spawns the first ork.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
^^^^You forgot the part where David Bowie comes out in front of the world's media and proclaiming "I am Alpharius" before exploding in a cloud of smoke along with everyone's clothes, ever. Maniacal laughter ensues.

Thorn Wishes Talon was pretty metal reading about Eisenhorn and Cherubael chillin' out wrecking face again.

The Rat posted:

I thought it was the best thing McNeill has yet written. His writing style in it was a huge improvement over a lot of his prior work. The descriptions of Mechanicus technology and all that were a joy to read. Be forewarned that it's the first book in a supposed series though, so it ends on a total cliffhanger with no resolution at all.

At this point I think that McNeill is best when writing about either Chaos or the Mechanicus; everything else he's put out is unremarkable at best.

Excellent, I'll be sure to check this out! Also The Serpent Beneath as well, from memory Rob Sanders wrote another cool short story (the Iron Warriors one?) a while ago. I think I have a borrowed copy of The Primarchs gathering dust somewhere after I read one of the lesser stories in it and gave up. Thanks guys! :)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Anyone read Architect of Fate? The premise sounds cool but I'm not at all sure with what to expect in terms of quality.

Impaired Casing
Jul 1, 2012

We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.

Schneider Heim posted:

Anyone read Architect of Fate? The premise sounds cool but I'm not at all sure with what to expect in terms of quality.

I read it last year, if I recall correctly it is four short stories that all have the same Space Hulk in it that has a daemon inside it that they need to purge, but everyone is incompetent, at least in the first part. Then it goes on to different chapters and how they deal with it. It's not bad, like some of the other Space Marine Battle books, but it is entertaining enough.

And the cover kicks rear end.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So the GBS thread talking about Warhammer (and now Eisenhorn) made me go back and read the tattered remnants of the omnibus I bought back when it came out. And holy hell, every time I do I notice new little details that make the last book so utterly screwed up.

For instance, During the second novel, Fischig and Eisenhorn have a conversation where Fischig is having some doubts about Eisenhorn and his allegiances. Mostly due to the whole "Eisenhorn was proclaimed a traitor." thing.

Eisenhorn tries to reassure him, and eventually does manage to do so. Eisenhorn then makes a one off joke/comment about how if he ever went over to Chaos, he'd expect that Fischig would shoot him.

Little lines like that highlight how utterly hosed Eisenhorn is by the end of the trilogy. There's a procession of little mistakes and one off comments that come back to bite him in the rear end by the end. And they just don't stop until the last chapter. Or hell, even then, given the epilogue.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 8, 2013

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I just listened to Grey Angel, one of the Garro audio dramas. It wasn't bad, and raises a couple of interesting points:
First of all, the schism between the Dark Angels may have been tipped with the arrival of Qruze and Loken. Secondly, it seems that Cypher is the only one of the Fallen who is actually loyal. Finally, the fact that Luther never found out about the Heresy ensured that the schism only affected the Dark Angels themselves, and didn't allow for the Fallen to go over to Horus' side.

One thing that I'm still not sure of regarding the Garro series overall: who exactly are Garro's Marines going to become? At first, I thought they were the beginning of the Grey Knights (due to the fact that Garro is recruiting Psykers), but they might also be the start of the Inquisition (due to their allowed use of alien technology), possibly both, or something else entirely. I know they are referred to as Malcador's "Knights Errant," but that seems to be completely unrelated to the actual Knights Errant chapter. Any thoughts?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

berzerkmonkey posted:

One thing that I'm still not sure of regarding the Garro series overall: who exactly are Garro's Marines going to become? At first, I thought they were the beginning of the Grey Knights (due to the fact that Garro is recruiting Psykers), but they might also be the start of the Inquisition (due to their allowed use of alien technology), possibly both, or something else entirely. I know they are referred to as Malcador's "Knights Errant," but that seems to be completely unrelated to the actual Knights Errant chapter. Any thoughts?

The Deathwatch? That's the other Space Marines associated with the Inquisition.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

berzerkmonkey posted:

I just listened to Grey Angel, one of the Garro audio dramas. It wasn't bad, and raises a couple of interesting points:
First of all, the schism between the Dark Angels may have been tipped with the arrival of Qruze and Loken. Secondly, it seems that Cypher is the only one of the Fallen who is actually loyal. Finally, the fact that Luther never found out about the Heresy ensured that the schism only affected the Dark Angels themselves, and didn't allow for the Fallen to go over to Horus' side.

It's the Grey Knights. Not spoiling because it's not even a spoiler at this point. And, as you said, it's tied into the founding of the Inquisition as well.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 8, 2013

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's the Grey Knights. Not spoiling because it's not even a spoiler at this point. And, as you said, it's tied into the founding of the Inquisition as well.
Ok, my Codex reading has declined over the years, and I wasn't sure if this was popular knowledge yet. I guess that whatever they are currently eventually splits into the two different organizations.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

euphronius posted:

Ravenor is there in the joint mission at the end fight of the Eisenhorn Trilogy. Cherubael is pretty out in the open at that point.

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Cherubael was in Thorn Wishes Talon. Iirc Ravenor and Eisenhorn were having a chat face to face when Eisenhorn replied with what amounted to "Sick em, boy!" when he got little puppy demon eyes wanting to kill staring at him .

Thanks for the refresher. It's going to be real interesting to see how far Eisenhorn goes down the heretic rabbit hole.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He isn't a heretic in my book. Cherubael is much safer bound up than freed. Plus he doesnt even have the Malus Codicum anymore. That was loving with him more than anything.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

euphronius posted:

He isn't a heretic in my book. Cherubael is much safer bound up than freed. Plus he doesnt even have the Malus Codicum anymore. That was loving with him more than anything.

Counter point. He's rolling with chaos marines

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Counter point. He's rolling with chaos marines

Not technically demons! Well. Most of them.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

euphronius posted:

Not technically demons! Well. Most of them.

Still pretty heretical

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Still pretty heretical

You have to wonder if the rest of his warband knows about his new buddy.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

berzerkmonkey posted:

Wait since when is Loken Alive? What the hell?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

UberJumper posted:

Wait since when is Loken Alive? What the hell?

This is my problem with the audio books, they're establishing major plot details to the minority of Heresy readers. I barely know anyone who buys the audio dramas. Eventually they'll probably be compiled into an anthology of books, but it's really irritating for the time being.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
The combination of audio books plus James Swallow plus his loving pet Garro has put me off that series, despite establishing plot threads I'm greatly interested in.

It's a real shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Garro's nothing special, but I like Qruze and Loken. And that World Eater looks cool. But hell if I'm gonna know, audio dramas aren't too expensive for me.