Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alcholism Rocks
Jan 5, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Neo Rasa posted:

http://www.geeknative.com/37289/judge-dredd-might-be-gay-but-are-fans-really-threatening-to-burn-the-comic/

Didn't someone in this thread state that Dredd himself was not portrayed as gay, but rather civilians dressed up as judges were doing gay things?

I don't really see anything to get worked up over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Alcholism Rocks posted:

Didn't someone in this thread state that Dredd himself was not portrayed as gay, but rather civilians dressed up as judges were doing gay things?

I don't really see anything to get worked up over.

Yes this is my understanding as well. I'm thinking it's just some homophobic fans who hear the words "Dredd" and "gay" in the same sentence and have an aneurism and don't bother reading the rest of the article. The writer of the story has said in an interview that Dredd's sexuality is extremely repressed and he could be gay or straight, who knows.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Nerds are the worst.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

marktheando posted:

Yes this is my understanding as well. I'm thinking it's just some homophobic fans who hear the words "Dredd" and "gay" in the same sentence and have an aneurism and don't bother reading the rest of the article. The writer of the story has said in an interview that Dredd's sexuality is extremely repressed and he could be gay or straight, who knows.

He is a lawosexual.

Alcholism Rocks
Jan 5, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bobkatt013 posted:

He is a lawosexual.

Nowadays most people wouldn't even be fazed if it was revealed that Dredd spent his nights jacking off to his copy of The Law. That sort of thing is relatively normal.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Who gives a poo poo where Dredd wants to put his dick

Does he even care about putting his dick in places

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Zzulu posted:

Dredd would never act on any sexual thoughts he might or might not have, Judges aren't allowed to.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

marktheando posted:

If you read the actual article, there's exactly two homophobic fans and one of them doesn't even read the comic (he mentions "not seeing that film").

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Zzulu posted:

Dredd had his dick burned off in The Dead Man.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...

Payndz posted:

If this is a satirical use of spoiler tags, you've done an excellent job.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Dredd has no penis, he just has massive balls.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Payndz posted:

Fix this.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's even better looking at all the related articles to original one about nerds getting angry over gays:

Shade2142
Oct 10, 2012

Rollin'

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Plus the fact that Dredd immediately sniffs these guys out as being corrupt seems to show that it's not a particularly unique occurrence.

Somewhere in this thread, someone mentioned that on Dredd's first patrol there was massive rioting. There was still a police force along with Judges at that time and Dredd caught a group of cops acting criminal. So, he knows its possible that authority isn't infallible and stays on his guard.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Shade2142 posted:

Somewhere in this thread, someone mentioned that on Dredd's first patrol there was massive rioting. There was still a police force along with Judges at that time and Dredd caught a group of cops acting criminal. So, he knows its possible that authority isn't infallible and stays on his guard.

The movie isn't the comic books. You can't use the latter to create a reading of the former.

I don't disagree with you, actually, but still. Rule of thumb here.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well, I just saw the film for the first time. Opening felt a bit weedy but the movie built up nicely. Liked the corrupt judges portion in particular. Felt bad for that poor schmuck Anderson had to sentence outside medical, or rather his family. Would definitely watch another movie in this series if there's a prayer it'd get made. Guy at the store said it was doing well on DVD?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Is it uncommon for films that recoup their expenses in DVD/Blu-Ray to get sequels? I hope that the guys that made this realize that the Stallone movie, despite being nearly a decade old, came out of the grave and hosed them, and that word of mouth for their awesome movie is positive. I know I've been telling everyone who's asked me that it's great.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Is it uncommon for films that recoup their expenses in DVD/Blu-Ray to get sequels? I hope that the guys that made this realize that the Stallone movie, despite being nearly a decade old, came out of the grave and hosed them, and that word of mouth for their awesome movie is positive. I know I've been telling everyone who's asked me that it's great.

Boondocks Saints did. It also got a documentary about the making of the first one

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Feb 2, 2013

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I hope they see that too. I could see us getting a sequel after the good home format sales, but the sheer awfulness of the box office keeps me concerned.

Also, 'nearly a decade old'? The Stallone Dredd came out in 1995. More like nearly 2 decades.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

etalian posted:

It's even better looking at all the related articles to original one about nerds getting angry over gays:

The interview with eternal Trad Games hate figure RPGPundit is the cherry on that poo poo sundae.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I can't count how many friends have come up to me separately and basically said SO I WATCHED THIS MOVIE LAST NIGHT THAT WAS REALLY GOOD, I WOULD HAVE NEVER IMAGINED, GUESS WHAT IT WAS. And I just go uhhh Dredd? And their mind is blown.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lotish posted:

Opening felt a bit weedy but the movie built up nicely.
Not sure what weedy means. I loved the intro, the visuals and the narration were precisely appropriate. Are you sure you had your speakers properly calibrated to "loud n' bassy" ?

AlternateAccount posted:

I can't count how many friends have come up to me separately and basically said SO I WATCHED THIS MOVIE LAST NIGHT THAT WAS REALLY GOOD, I WOULD HAVE NEVER IMAGINED, GUESS WHAT IT WAS. And I just go uhhh Dredd? And their mind is blown.
I wish more of my friends and co-workers did this :smith:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

In this case weedy means "noticeably thin or scrawny." I felt unimpressed by the intro. Perhaps because I was expecting the future it represents to look at little more dense, cluttered and claustrophobic, with more futuristic stylings and personality. Dredd on his bike looked very out of place on that highway, like they didn't have the budget or imagination to make the other vehicles feel like they complemented the setting. Around the time we see the robot cleaning up the blood, however, it clicked with me and I was on board.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 3, 2013

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
As far as futuristic stylings go, I really liked how in the various CCTV shots you'd usually have some kind of face-recognition going on, cataloguing the people involved. This is really noticeable in the opening, when you have a bunch of people in masks which the system can't pick up and one guy marching forward, being registered and not giving a gently caress. I also liked how the Judges attempt to compensate for their lack of manpower with a NASA-style command room and loads of drones gliding everywhere.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Lotish posted:

In this case weedy means "noticeably thin or scrawny." I felt unimpressed by the intro. Perhaps because I was expecting the future it represents to look at little more dense, cluttered and claustrophobic, with more futuristic stylings and personality. Dredd on his bike looked very out of place on that highway, like they didn't have the budget or imagination to make the other vehicles feel like they complemented the setting. Around the time we see the robot cleaning up the blood, however, it clicked with me and I was on board.

I agree with you somewhat. Everything from the hall of justice onwards felt proper and what megacity would be all about with huge grim structures etc.. but the opening bits on the highway were a little too obviously repurposed modern settings and things. I give it a pass though just because I know the budget constricted it.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Mega-City One is big and it wouldn't be wrong to say this particular section has fewer tower blocks.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Baron Bifford posted:

Mega-City One is big and it wouldn't be wrong to say this particular section has fewer tower blocks.

Nearly the entire city is made of city blocks and the parts that aren't are where the very few rich people live.

tehspiekguy
Aug 13, 2002
Press X to flip tehspiekguy
The first time I saw this movie I made a lot of internal comparisons to Robocop and ultimately felt like it pulled a lot of its punches and walked away entertained but disappointed. I decided to go back and give it a second shot since its DVD release and actually try to look beneath the surface for anything that I missed. Well, turns out that I'm actually finding a lot of meat and potatoes there that don't make themselves readily apparent but are really wonderful to appreciate once you see them. I'm about 8 minutes in right now and I've had to pause every 15-20 seconds to jot down some new notes but one of my favorite observations so far has been this during the opening:

"While Dredd references the "Men and Women" of the Hall of Justice, it is this monolithic structure that towers over the rest of the city. This is the first sign of an unreliable narrator in Dredd as it is not the Judges that are keeping order, but instead this towering threat that is keeping the citizens complacent in fear as well as violent in defiance. This is paired with an interesting shot where the neon signs of the city blocks are visible in the reflection in the windows of the Hall of Justice. Since both had to be digitally composed, this is certainly intentional and a statement that the squalor of the city blocks is a direct result, or "reflection" of the influence of the brutal and tyrannical Judge system."

The first 8 minutes are 2ish pages so far, if anyone cares I'll post the whole shebang when its done.

tehspiekguy fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 7, 2013

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I really liked that mega city was mostly low rises. I know typically in sci fi blade runner style skyscrapers but even those are cool in their own imposing way, when rob schneider first gets off the bus in the 95 movie theres an epic shot of the skyline with music. A mass of low rise projects however really just sells that this place is just poo poo.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I'd like to see the "whole shebang," tehspikeguy. I only watched the film once, but seeing another person's interpretation of events is always fun.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

massive spider posted:

I really liked that mega city was mostly low rises. I know typically in sci fi blade runner style skyscrapers but even those are cool in their own imposing way, when rob schneider first gets off the bus in the 95 movie theres an epic shot of the skyline with music. A mass of low rise projects however really just sells that this place is just poo poo.

Mega-City One isn't meant to be a dystopia. It's a failed utopia. We build skyscrapers the size of cities, the economy is so strong that 87% of the population being out of work doesn't dent it, we can travel to other star systems and even other times and dimensions, and what do we do with it? The same things we've always done, only harder and worse.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

massive spider posted:

From a production point of view it was driven mainly by the budget constraints, overall I liked the look of the film for how it mixed into run down modern buildings in with the towering futuristic megablocks.

The cheesy Stallone version is more accurate to the original comics in terms of the overall scale for all the buildings since it had the luxury of a much bigger production budget.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

etalian posted:

From a production point of view it was driven mainly by the budget constraints, overall I liked the look of the film for how it mixed into run down modern buildings in with the towering futuristic megablocks.

The cheesy Stallone version is more accurate to the original comics in terms of the overall scale for all the buildings since it had the luxury of a much bigger production budget.

Which makes it sound rather like Jedit's description of Mega-City One. Fitting.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
To be honest, I think the difference is that our conception of the future and overpopulation changed. I think Dredd is more cynical of modernism than other parts of the franchise because it more or lets admits that if poverty is the norm (admittelt through technology created unemployment that necessitated state support), therefore that vast majority of humanity would live in slums, with some mega-slums breaking up the horizon. They didn't show where the 1% lived although it was socially implied. It ultimately pulled its punches mostly with its politics, not its violence but to be honestly Judge Dredd has always pulled most of its punches in that regard. In the comics, they were happy to offer up a Soviet Union-analogue as a antagonist...you weren't going to get that much social criticism from it.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

tehspiekguy posted:

The first 8 minutes are 2ish pages so far, if anyone cares I'll post the whole shebang when its done.

Please do, I'd like to read it.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Jedit posted:

Mega-City One isn't meant to be a dystopia. It's a failed utopia. We build skyscrapers the size of cities, the economy is so strong that 87% of the population being out of work doesn't dent it, we can travel to other star systems and even other times and dimensions, and what do we do with it? The same things we've always done, only harder and worse.

That's not quite the same way its presented in the film though. I mean if youve read the comics then you know unemployment is 90% because of robots and overabundance. In the film when they just say "unemployment in peachtrees is 90%" without that context the connotation is different. Dredd straight up describes it as "the ruins of the old world" in the opening narration.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 8, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

massive spider posted:

That's not quite the same way its presented in the film though. I mean if youve read the comics then you know unemployment is 90% because of robots and overabundance. In the film when they just say "unemployment in peachtrees is 90%" without that context the connotation is different. Dredd straight up describes it as "the ruins of the old world" in the opening narration.

Being set after a war that destroyed civilisation does not make a story dystopian. Compare Logan's Run with City of Ember. In Logan's city almost everyone is happy and the system works - it just isn't a very nice system in certain ways. In Ember the people struggle under corrupt politicians and the system is literally falling apart. The former is a failed utopia; the latter, a dystopia. Dredd is much closer to Logan's Run than it is to Ember.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

tehspiekguy posted:

The first time I saw this movie I made a lot of internal comparisons to Robocop and ultimately felt like it pulled a lot of its punches and walked away entertained but disappointed. I decided to go back and give it a second shot since its DVD release and actually try to look beneath the surface for anything that I missed. Well, turns out that I'm actually finding a lot of meat and potatoes there that don't make themselves readily apparent but are really wonderful to appreciate once you see them. I'm about 8 minutes in right now and I've had to pause every 15-20 seconds to jot down some new notes but one of my favorite observations so far has been this during the opening:

"While Dredd references the "Men and Women" of the Hall of Justice, it is this monolithic structure that towers over the rest of the city. This is the first sign of an unreliable narrator in Dredd as it is not the Judges that are keeping order, but instead this towering threat that is keeping the citizens complacent in fear as well as violent in defiance. This is paired with an interesting shot where the neon signs of the city blocks are visible in the reflection in the windows of the Hall of Justice. Since both had to be digitally composed, this is certainly intentional and a statement that the squalor of the city blocks is a direct result, or "reflection" of the influence of the brutal and tyrannical Judge system."

I'd also like to see this. I'm still thinking about this film after seeing it twice at the Cinema when it came out (just got it on DVD too, of course) and I'm on Case Files 4. I'm hoping that after I've read Case Files 5 a re-watch will mean I get even more out of viewing it, but I'd love to see someone else go way more in-depth than I ever could.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Jedit posted:

Being set after a war that destroyed civilisation does not make a story dystopian. Compare Logan's Run with City of Ember. In Logan's city almost everyone is happy and the system works - it just isn't a very nice system in certain ways. In Ember the people struggle under corrupt politicians and the system is literally falling apart. The former is a failed utopia; the latter, a dystopia. Dredd is much closer to Logan's Run than it is to Ember.

You're using the word dystopian, not me.

In the comics theres a lot of backstory for how Mega city 1 works and its presented as a mass of high rise buildings crowded in- too much of everything. In the film the first thing you see of it is low rise slums dotted with high rise fallout centers, rioting in the streets and an overstressed justice system. Its a different interpretation is my point. Is that a dystopia or a "failed utopia" - does it matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
How far is the extent of Mega City One in Dredd? I remember Central showing an extent at least to Virginia/North Carolina, but doesn't it actually go all the way down to Florida in the comics?

• Locked thread