Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

cool kids inc. posted:

I just streamed Antichrist on a whim because hey, I love Wilem Dafoe, and I've heard good things about this Von Trier cat.

:stare:

Oh. Well. Uh. Okay.

Good movie. My favorite part was the fox telling Willem Dafoe that chaos reigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

roboshit posted:

Good movie. My favorite part was the fox telling Willem Dafoe that chaos reigns.

I like the part when you're given an explicit shot of a penis ejaculating blood and I had to stop watching because I got incredibly nauseous.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MadRhetoric posted:

Ferris Bueller is a little better than a random movie from the 80s. You could also make the same argument about the original Star Wars trilogy; to people who only know the modern sequels the original trilogy are three random movies that share the same name.

You can't because people have been doing "I am your father" parodies up into this year and beyond.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Junkie Disease posted:

Some are french.
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/5V7pXaMl.jpg
Netflix just got an invasion of them.

MOD EDIT - come on.
My deepest apology.
The pic is a French Poster with a small painted lady that topless and surrounded buy Zombis. I made a bad assumption as to whats safe for work.

Boobs are always not work safe, sad as I am to hide them.

Fair warning that movie is AWFUL. Go with Lips of Blood for better Jean Rollin.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

If you ever wanted more Adam West batman movies but without Mr.West or Batman take a garner at In Like Flint its the inspiration of Austin Powers.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

roboshit posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmn9asN-8AE

dawww....

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I like the part when you're given an explicit shot of a penis ejaculating blood and I had to stop watching because I got incredibly nauseous.
I love Lars von Trier.

I could not watch that movie in one sitting.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Junkie Disease posted:

If you ever wanted more Adam West batman movies but without Mr.West or Batman take a garner at In Like Flint its the inspiration of Austin Powers.

In Like Flint and Our Man Flint are both incredible movies in their absolute terribleness. The acting is atrocious and the fight choreography is even worse - but it makes the movies so good.

Also I'll take this as another opportunity to recommend the OSS 117 movies since we're talking about international spy movies and they rank among the best.

Edit:

Thwomp posted:

And once you watch it, read up on the Ferris Doesn't Exist theory and watch it again.

Doing this now and... It's amazing.

Ferris is Camerons smirking revenge. It all makes so much sense.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 7, 2013

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The OSS 117 movies are basically what Austin Powers would be if they were funny and smart.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Ooh, Nacho Libre is available. http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Nacho_Libre/70044883

I think this movie gets a bad rap. Thoroughly enjoyable movie here.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Nacho Libre really finds its stride once the corncob goes INTO THE BAD GUY'S GODDAMN EYEHOLE HOLY loving poo poo

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

speaking of Adam West.

This is the cover Netflix now has. Man are the Nolan generation kids going to have their minds blown clicking on this.

Also I recommend Sam Raimi's The Gift its a good redneck murder mystery.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Ohvee posted:

Ooh, Nacho Libre is available. http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Nacho_Libre/70044883

I think this movie gets a bad rap. Thoroughly enjoyable movie here.

I still love Napoleon Dynamite and was pretty stoked to see this when it came out and no, it totally deserves the reputation it has.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Yeah I tried to be as vague as possible. Seriously great movie, and I agree with you on the ending.

edit: had to add a movie!

The Perfect Host

David Hyde Pierce (Dr. Niles Crane from Frasier) wanted to do something different with this acting.

Here's the tagline: "A fugitive on the run decides to crash a dinner party. But he seriously regrets it when the mysterious and unusual host soon has him convinced that he would have been better off hiding somewhere else."

It's got pretty low ratings all over mostly, which according to wiki is because of "critical of the film's plot structure and length, (however) even the negative reviews praised Pierce and Crawford's performances"

It's a weird movie. It's hosed up. It's a Funny Games role reversal.

But most of all, it's Dr. Niles Crane going from this...

to this...

and finally to this...

all while doing a little of this...

Oh man, that movie. It's brilliant snappy and leaves you guessing even after the whole thing is over and done with. I definitely recommend this to everyone wanting a good horror movie that's past the usual B movie standard fair. Plus David Hyde is a great actor in his own right.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Short Penguin posted:

Oh man, that movie. It's brilliant snappy and leaves you guessing even after the whole thing is over and done with. I definitely recommend this to everyone wanting a good horror movie that's past the usual B movie standard fair. Plus David Hyde is a great actor in his own right.

I really liked the first two thirds of the movie, but I felt the last third of the film after the dinner-party hostage conceit was over really went off the rails, and the movie lost focus quite a bit. Still, worth a watch for DHP's performance alone.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Popular Human posted:

I was JUST coming to this thread to recommend this movie - I saw it got added last night. It's a great slow-burn horror film that NOBODY saw. I'm glad it's up on streaming, since it wasn't even available from Netflix as a DVD/Bluray last time I checked.

As an english student, I LOVE Pontypool. So much. :allears:

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I just watched the pilot thanks to this post, and it was excellent. Definitely looking forward to watching the rest. Thanks for the heads up!

This is going to be next. I've meant to watch this show for years.

SPACED. Oh man, I love this series more than life itself.Simon Pegg and Nick Frost never ever fail to deliver.

WORTH the watch.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Priss In Plate posted:

Even if you're not a huge fan of Formula One, I've gotta recommend Senna:

The documentary is completely bonkers, both in the sense of how intense F1 driving is and just how banzai of a driver Senna was. I just got done watching it myself, and I greatly enjoyed it--as have others.

Senna is amazing. F1 driving is seriously crazy. But lovely.:allears:

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Vinestalk posted:

All three parts of Red Riding look like they've been available on instant queue for awhile. It's a pretty intense adaptation of a series of books about corruption and murder in northern England during the '70s and early '80s. Some of the acting in it is really solid. Later in the series there are several :stare: moments. It's worth a watch if you like gritty stuff.

I made use of my 30 free days this past month and I checked out Party Down, Terriers, ABC's TV adaptation of The Stand, and Home Movies. Terriers was an awesome recommendation for whoever posted that up. Pretty surprised it had such low ratings.

Red Riding is amazing because, aside from never let me go, it's some of Andrew Garfield's strongest acting Plus it does help he's a cutie. :allears: I also felt like I learned a thing or two along the way.

Basically: watch it.

SimonNotGarfunkel
Jan 28, 2011
How annoying, Red Riding isn't available in the UK. :rant:

Agree with ^ this man though. Definitely some must watch TV.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Short Penguin posted:

SPACED. Oh man, I love this series more than life itself.Simon Pegg and Nick Frost never ever fail to deliver.

WORTH the watch.
It's also really great to see how it feeds into Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. There's a lot of actors from Spaced that show up in small roles, and the filmmaking techniques evolve from show to movie to movie. Spaced rules.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

SRM posted:

It's also really great to see how it feeds into Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. There's a lot of actors from Spaced that show up in small roles, and the filmmaking techniques evolve from show to movie to movie. Spaced rules.

Spaced is terrific when it's not terrible (around 5-10% of the time).

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Harminoff posted:

Netflix's first original series Lilyhammer just went up. No idea what it's like, but pretty awesome that they put up all episodes at once.

http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Lilyhammer/70221438

Lilyhammer is amazing. It makes me want to live in Sweden even more than I already do, and it has some great lulzy moments. I'd def. recommend it.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

Spaced is terrific when it's not terrible (around 5-10% of the time).

What episodes are terrible? I loved like all of them!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Magnus Gallant posted:

All the episodes are good, but there are a few extended bits that aren't.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

red19fire posted:

I watched one called Historical Pubs of Ireland. Interesting, But I was kind of drunk at the time.

Also, Out of Ireland.

The Wind That Shakes The Barley is a great film based on real events starring Cillian Murphy.

Wind That Shakes the Barley is a must see for anyone wanting to know about Ireland's past.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
Just finished watching The Parking Lot Movie.

It was like none of those guys moved past being the weird kid in high school who hated jocks.

Let it go, guys.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade

Junkie Disease posted:

I recommend Sam Raimi's The Gift its a good redneck murder mystery.

I remember watching this when it came out for the sole purpose of seeing Katie Holmes' boobs and being surprised that the movie was actually pretty good too.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Short Penguin posted:

Wind That Shakes the Barley is a must see for anyone wanting to know about Ireland's past.

Also anyone who hates fingernails.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So in my great age I decided to finally watch Skins since it gets so much acclaim and god drat British kids are hosed up.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Short Penguin posted:

As an english student, I LOVE Pontypool. So much. :allears:

I'm an English major as well and think Derrida is the bees knees. The second half of Pontypool is still crap.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Magnus Gallant posted:

Just those few ones where they make pointless pop-culture references apropos of nothing.

:iceburn:

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Beyond the black rainbow a beautiful, stylish sci-fi-ish horror meditation. I'm thoroughly confused about what happens in 1966 and would appreciate it if anyone can clue me in.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

iv46vi posted:

Beyond the black rainbow a beautiful, stylish sci-fi-ish horror meditation. I'm thoroughly confused about what happens in 1966 and would appreciate it if anyone can clue me in.

Doing acid and eating a lady's neck was Barry's initiation into Dr. Arboria's cult I guess.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Does anyone have a combination of both Netflix and Amazon? I signed up for the Amazon trial today and haven't noticed very many differences in selection, at least upon first glance.

Then again, the search function leaves a lot to be desired...

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Acrolos posted:

Does anyone have a combination of both Netflix and Amazon? I signed up for the Amazon trial today and haven't noticed very many differences in selection, at least upon first glance.

Amazon's entire web site interface for everything is a loving bag of dicks. I didn't realize how bad it was until I bought Amazon Prime. I rarely use their streaming for anything because I can't find poo poo.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Hewlett posted:

I really liked the first two thirds of the movie, but I felt the last third of the film after the dinner-party hostage conceit was over really went off the rails, and the movie lost focus quite a bit. Still, worth a watch for DHP's performance alone.

Yeah, it's amazing up until the final act. It really suffers from "Oh, hey, we got to tie everything up together" syndrome, and ultimately, it forgot that we don't really care about that element of the story. We came for psychopathic Niles.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Yeah, it's amazing up until the final act. It really suffers from "Oh, hey, we got to tie everything up together" syndrome, and ultimately, it forgot that we don't really care about that element of the story. We came for psychopathic Niles.

It also hammers home the fact that this is a short film stretched out to feature length, which often necessitates such dramatic and confusing third-act shifts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tennis Ball posted:

Amazon's entire web site interface for everything is a loving bag of dicks. I didn't realize how bad it was until I bought Amazon Prime. I rarely use their streaming for anything because I can't find poo poo.

The only thing that makes it tolerable is browsing using an Xbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade

Acrolos posted:

yeah, a lot of the free stuff is already on Netflix. The main attraction for Amazon is that you can rent something and watch it for a few bucks if you really want to. Otherwise, we almost exclusively just watch Netflix.

• Locked thread