Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Fart of Presto posted:

I'm really trimming my backlog and nulling everything that does not grab me within 30 minutes to an hour.

Nulled: Eversion
I guess it's a good game if you are a fan of NES and platformers?

I can definitely see not being into Eversion, but for real, its short enough and has a neat enough gimmick that if you aren't going to play it you should at least try to watch an lp of it. Would probably take up 20 minute or so to see the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

bengy81 posted:

I can definitely see not being into Eversion, but for real, its short enough and has a neat enough gimmick that if you aren't going to play it you should at least try to watch an lp of it. Would probably take up 20 minute or so to see the whole thing.

I admit that I didn't even play 10 minutes of this game. My main gripe with the game was the gimmick that was in no way explained anywhere and which I never figured out, which also meant that half way through world 1-2 my 'adventure' stopped. Only when I looked up a let's play did I see it. Game was already uninstalled then.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I got Eversion in a bundle so I won't be too critical, but its twists weren't enough to overcome its graphics and controls for me. It looks, sounds and feels like a half finished SNES romhack.

I'm done with Far Cry 3. The middle section of that game really, really sucks. I put the game down twice in the middle of the series of inexplicable half dozen identical magic compass tomb raiding quests expecting to never pick it up again, but I persevered and the beginning and end of the game have enough great stuff in them that I put it away fairly satisfied.

I loved all the missions and sub-missions that happened outdoors or in large environments. Skulking around the edges of mercenary camps with my sniper rifle and flamethrower was awesome. The corridor shooting sequences (and there are a decent number of them) were easy, but incredibly boring.

The story was a hot mess. The voice acting was really good, but I despised almost all of the characters, and the self-importance of it was off-putting. The themes of this game aren't half as new or interesting as the writers think they are.

I'm plugging away at The Binding of Isaac, Dark Souls and Terraria. I've been playing these games off-and-on for months, and though they all have endings, I can't see myself putting them down for months and months more. The highs and lows of the Binding of Isaac and Dark Souls are seriously addicting.

Finally, I started Atom Zombie Smasher after owning it for forever, and this game is amazing. I knew it was some kind of tower defense game, but what I didn't know is that part is wrapped up in a really fantastic board game-style strategy layer. This kind of game is like crack to me, and I can easily see myself putting three hours a night into this until I burn out on it.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Next batch of clean ups!

Nulled: Hoard
Got a bit boring.

Nulled: Sine Mora
At first I thought it was a pretty good shmup (I'm really bad at shmups!). I felt I could actually progress and have fun at the same time.
Then I had to fly through some laser infested garbage tunnel which was pretty annoying and then it was gone too.

Beat: Sleeping Dogs: Zodiac Tournament DLC
Advanced fight club. Meh.

Except for RAGE, which I'm re-downloading now, so I can play the Scorchers DLC, I've now decided I can only download when I'm uninstalling an already downloaded game, and I'm only allowed to uninstall if I either null of beat a game - no "saving for later".
This sadly means no Hidden Object or Match-3 games for a while, as my list mostly consists of RPGs like Skyrim, SW:KOTOR, Divinity 2, Dragon Age: Origin, Alpha Protocol, Risen and most of the Spiderweb games.
And I have absolutely no plan of skipping any of those.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Fart of Presto posted:

I admit that I didn't even play 10 minutes of this game. My main gripe with the game was the gimmick that was in no way explained anywhere and which I never figured out, which also meant that half way through world 1-2 my 'adventure' stopped. Only when I looked up a let's play did I see it. Game was already uninstalled then.
So, what you're saying is that you gave up because you didn't read the directions.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Finished Runaway: The Dream of the Turtle. The original was mediocre, this one is incredibly worse. The main character is a douche, the story is awful and gets worse as it progresses. The game becomes an endurance test, like a real bad movie that you foolishly decide to see to the end just because you already started watching it. Avoid it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Beat Miasmata on Day 14 in-game and 8 hours of play and I have Opinions about it. Miasmata is a good game. It's also frequently a frustrating game on a hundred different levels but all told I really enjoyed what it had to offer. The concept is a great one, you're on an island with a disease, cure this disease and get off said island. I loved the exploration and mapping system and learning about the events that transpired on Eden and elsewhere. I loved collecting plants and making medicine and the constant fear of getting lost, or worse, getting lost when night falls and not having a goddamn idea where you are or where shelter is. I loved the constant day/night cycle, the dynamic weather, the giant island environment and all of the nature and biomes it contains. That's all great.

What I didn't like was the inherent jankiness of the homebrewed engine. The game can be really goddamn nice looking but the animation is awful and the pop-in is constant and close. Apparently it ran like junk up until a few weeks ago but what I played at least mostly ran well and never once crashed. I also didn't like the movement. For some reason the plague you're afflicted with seems to only present its symptoms when you fall over or start drowning, the former of which happens all the goddamn time. I don't understand why you can run straight up the steepest cliff yet walking too fast over a two foot high hill sends you tumbling uncontrollably. I don't understand why you build up speed like some sort of rocket car and slide over the ground like I'm playing Tribes. And I really don't understand why my character has to huff and puff and pull himself out of knee high water like it's quicksand. All of these things and more make actually playing the game maddening at times and yet I found myself compelled to go on.

And then there's the Creature. Yes it's neat to have this thing that constantly stalks the island and yes I understand why having something as an adversary is need and yes it can make things tense at time but man, this thing was stupid. Besides how goddamn goofy it is I have a feeling that it was just never finished. There are weapons on the island that...don't do anything? You can't hurt it or interact with it really. Sometimes you'd throw a rock at it and it'll just kinda wince and growl but sometimes not. You can't hit it by swinging at it which begs the question why that's an option at all since you can't attack anything else. I've heard that you can chase it off by being aggressive but after throwing twenty burning branches at its face it still just kinda slowly circles me growling. Mostly I think I just lost it by getting it stuck on a steep hill or rock as I sprint off somewhere far from its dumb Amnesia style fear effects. There was a cool opportunity here for the Creature but I think a big miss.

So yeah, Miasmata is a good game. It's not a great game and it has all kinds of problems but it's interesting as hell and a feat that only two dudes created all of it. I really hope they can expand upon and polish what they've started here as I'll gladly play something else by them with a bit more fine tuning.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Wow. I've actually finished a few games, including the original Mass Effect, finally. It was actually pretty good. Gameplay-wise it was nothing special, but the plot kicked things up to a tasty level of epic that really made me feel like an intergalactic badass. It was predictable, and cheesy, but still satisfying.
I also beat Sleeping Dogs, and the Nightmare in North Point DLC, that game was awesome. I hope they make another one, because I'll go back to ultraviolencing the whole of Hong Kong any day. Still might take the time to knock off the last 20% of collectibles, because its just that good.
Also beat FTL a few times on normal now, so I feel like I can take that off my docket, though I'll probably go back to that as well.

I think next I may try and do Alpha Protocol, my beating of Mass Effect gives me faith that I can handle the bad gunplay just to experience the story, though the second Blackwell game and the second Sam & Max sextet may grab me instead.

clamcake
Dec 24, 2012
Beat Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords. I had heard people say that the game was disappointing, but I didn't realize how disappointing it would be. It wasn't as immediately engaging as the first game, but once I got into the story, I was really into it. I thought it was subtler and more nuanced than the first game's plot, especially with regards to the companions' backstories and motivations. But just when I was getting excited to see the story coming to a head, the game abruptly ended. To make things worse, there were gaping plot holes during the endgame. Companions acted completely out of character, one inexplicably appeared on a different planet, and a few vanished entirely from the game (though you'd learn in The Old Republic MMORPG that they died in presumably cut content).
The game essentially falls apart on account of Obsidian Entertainment being forced to release the game prematurely. I played with the restored content mod, so I shudder to think what the originally released game was like.

I'm starting Armed and Dangerous now. It'll be nice to play a LucasArts game that wasn't botched.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Colon V posted:

So, what you're saying is that you gave up because you didn't read the directions.
No, I gave up because the only gimmick this game has to offer, was introduced as a single line of text, briefly shown when transitioning from level 1 to level 2. When you then get control of your character and press the button, nothing happens. Unless you then focus on pressing that button all the time, you won't see the circle.
It's just a poorly implemented tutorial, and I honestly don't feel like forcing myself to play a game that seems so shoddy after only a few minutes.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Fart of Presto posted:

No, I gave up because the only gimmick this game has to offer, was introduced as a single line of text, briefly shown when transitioning from level 1 to level 2. When you then get control of your character and press the button, nothing happens. Unless you then focus on pressing that button all the time, you won't see the circle.
It's just a poorly implemented tutorial, and I honestly don't feel like forcing myself to play a game that seems so shoddy after only a few minutes.

You were introduced to a new mechanic, tried it once and nothing immediately happened, then got stuck and... Didn't think to keep trying the new mechanic?

It's not like they hide it away, the area where you can use it has an obvious change.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

You were introduced to a new mechanic, tried it once and nothing immediately happened, then got stuck and... Didn't think to keep trying the new mechanic?

It's not like they hide it away, the area where you can use it has an obvious change.
Hah! I've now spent more time defending why I couldn't be bothered to play a lovely platfomer because I didn't notice a single line of text, than I've actually spent playing the game.
I wonder if there is an achievement for that on Backloggery :dance:

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Man, projects are being laid thick and heavy, may not get to play anything for a few weeks, so I better try only play short bite sized games. :(

BEATEN: Rochard - The core of this game revolves around physics puzzles and physics weapons. Nothing wrong with that, but a lot of the sections do drag on. There was also only about 3 levels, mostly backtracking for the sake of the predictable twist, but the combat becomes repetitive - pick up box, hit soldier, shoot next soldier, pick up box, repeat. By the end of the game though, your weapons are too overpowered and you breeze through enemies, kinda like the last level of Half Life 2, where your gravity gun is picking up and flinging enemies for fun.
There's an achievement for speed running the game in 3 hours, I took 5, so that must mean I'm terrible. :( It's a fun game, but just not a great game.

Almost BEATEN except stuck: Closure - Christ, some of the puzzles in this game are just frustrating. I'm almost finished it though, on the last set of levels. An interesting puzzle game where light and shadow are your only obstacles. Certainly worth checking out.

With college work piling up suddenly, I'm forcing myself away from Steam and trying may not touch it for a few weeks. Though I may find myself wanting to play Scriiblenauts Unlimited and Don't Starve when they are released.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Fart of Presto posted:

Fart of Presto posted:

Hah! I've now spent more time defending why I couldn't be bothered to play a lovely platfomer because I didn't notice a single line of text, than I've actually spent playing the game.
I wonder if there is an achievement for that on Backloggery :dance:

:objection: There is a clear contradiction in your testimony, Fart of Presto!

How could you have pressed it once and given up if you missed the text telling you how to Evert?

(No, but seriously, if people tell you 'this free indie game is great and you need to play it', and your first response is "I don't get it", then maybe you missed something. This is not some magic mind-reading thing exclusive to Eversion, this is basic reasoning.)

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I liked Eversion, but it is a lovely platformer. But it also does have some neat ideas and visuals.

But I'm here to brag about finishing Alpha Protocol. Which I did. Sorta. I gather its the kind of game where you play through multiple times to enjoy the different methods and paths. And I might do that, but for now I'm happy with having explored the "shoot-everyone-in-the-face and be-a-threatening-psychopathic-rear end in a top hat" path. It was pretty fun, but the gunplay was sure bad. I was hoping it'd get better after I skilled up, and it did, but it was still bad. I imagine the stealth aspects are implemented better, but I just didn't have the patience for it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Beat Alan Wake's American Nightmare. I can't tell if it's supposed to be canon but it picks up right where the main game's DLC left off and I liked it. The jump to FMV for the cutscenes was weird but welcome if a little jarring if you've played the first game any time recently.

However I have to admit that the game feels a little lacking. I liked the story and the repetition made sense which is fine but absolutely nothing you actually do in the game is very interesting. It's linear as hell, there's no exploration and there's never any sense of dread as for some reason Remedy saw fit to absolutely litter the game with guns and ammo. Seriously it's kind of goddamn ridiculous just how much ordinance is strewing throughout every bit of the game's three environments and I think American Nightmare suffers for it. It seems like it'd be an easy game even if you weren't swimming in ammo and items and with those included you might as well play the game with your eyes shut.

I'm still glad I played it though and recommend it to fans of the first game. However just overall where I feel the original Alan Wake was fantastic, American Nightmare is only okay. It's also quite short clocking in at about three hours give or take a bit. There's a wave based arcade mode that'll take you another hour+ to complete if you really want to but eehhhhh.

Also nulled The Club and Snuggle Truck because goddamn I have better games to play than that crap.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Colon V posted:

:objection: There is a clear contradiction in your testimony, Fart of Presto!

How could you have pressed it once and given up if you missed the text telling you how to Evert?

(No, but seriously, if people tell you 'this free indie game is great and you need to play it', and your first response is "I don't get it", then maybe you missed something. This is not some magic mind-reading thing exclusive to Eversion, this is basic reasoning.)
But.. but.. no one told me to play it. I did it of my own free will as it was a part of a bundle and I wanted to see what I had paid for.
It was only when I said I didn't like it in this thread, that people came out and said that this game is almost better than sliced bread and I'm a tard for not pressing a button that will make all my dreams come true.

Aaaaanyways, I'm done with Eversion.

I also beat The Scorchers DLC for Rage. Just like the other missions in Rage, it's actually a blast to run around killing dudes with pop rockets and fat mamas.
The whole deal took a couple of hours and there is no driving except going from the town to where the Scorchers are. The mission consists of 5 levels where one of them is an arena match like the TV game mission. If you use your character from the original game, fully loaded up, it's basically just a walk in the park, but drat, ID sure knows how a shotgun should feel and handle in a first person shooter.

Edit:
Beat: Serious Sam Double D
OK fun shoot-everything-that-moves with signature gigantic end boss fight. And you can stack your weapons!

Nulled: Transcripted
Wow that "story" thing is bad. It's even worse than the present-day story in Assassin's Creed.
As a twin stick shooter it might be fun, but it just didn't keep my interest held for longer than 40 minutes.

Nulled: Crysis Warhead
Everything was pretty good until those loving alien squids showed up again and turned the tropical island into Winter Wonderland. Uninstall.

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 10, 2013

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Beat XCOM: Enemy Unknown or rather finished my first game. And immediately began another.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Beaten the last of the Runaway adventure games, Runaway: A Twist of Fate. It is better than both earlier games, with a hotspot detector and an in-game intelligent hint system that eliminates most of the frustrating aspects of the other games. Story is also better than the other games, albeit with some weak points, but the overall package is decent if you are craving for a traditional point and click adventure game.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Completed Gemini Rue today. I may have already beat more games this year than the entirety of last year. Gemini Rue was quite entertaining, except for the spurious gunplay. Probably could have reduced the difficulty on them and rendered it less annoying. Nice plot, though, and decent set of puzzles with logical solutions. I may finish up the Blackwell games now, I got distracted after finishing the first one (quite good, by the way) but Gemini Rue reminded me that I liked Wadjet Eye's work. I want to play that one with Logan Cunningham's voice talents too, but no fresh purchases until I finish more of my current backlog.

thizzin forever
Apr 10, 2007

I started Gish but gave up after a couple worlds when I realized that, in addition to not having mid-level check pointing, once I ran out of lives I would have to restart from the very beginning of a world. Also you lose a life every time you quit out of the game without finishing the current level. Since I don't have a ton of time to play games and when I do play them it's usually in short bursts this all added up to me not really wanting to play anymore of Gish pretty quickly.

I beat Dr. J and Larry Bird Go One on One. I didn't remember much about this game other than you could break the backboard and its aged terribly but I guess it's kind of notable for having fade away shots, fatigue, hot streaks, instant replay and individual player ratings in a game released in 1987. Anyway, Dr. J can't handle The Bird™.

I'm about to finish The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom. The time manipulation mechanic is really neat and the art style is great and I really like this game except the timing on some of the stages is so tight as to be kind of frustrating. I did the first set of challenges and they were OK but I don't see myself doing anymore of them.

I played a little of Bullet Candy and while I like the idea of adding bullet hell gameplay to twin stick shooters ultimately I just found the gameplay to be confusing due to the screen being covered with score multiplier pick-ups. On the later waves there is just way too much going on and having half the stuff flying around the screen be beneficial while the rest will kill you just seems like poor design.

I beat(?) Dear Esther. It's kind of a stretch to call it a game so I will call it an experience and a pretty good one. Because it's ultimately just an experience I don't want to say anything about it as I feel knowing anything at all before going in might lessen it. It is absolutely gorgeous though and there were more than a few moments where I was just standing around and admiring the landscape.

I think I'm going to play Gunstar Heroes next. I remember it being rad, hopefully it still is. I've also been working on getting all trophies and finishing all NG+ modes in Demon's Souls. This is obviously a long term goal and I have no idea if I'll ever finish it but DeS is one of my favorite games ever so any reason to play more of it is fine with me.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Just a quick question about the thread; Is this strictly for our Steam backlogs or has it become more of a general backlog discussion thread?

thizzin forever
Apr 10, 2007

Zedicus Mann posted:

Just a quick question about the thread; Is this strictly for our Steam backlogs or has it become more of a general backlog discussion thread?

I'm using it as a general backlog thread as there isn't a non-Steam backlog thread and splitting backlog stuff into two threads seems kind of silly to me. I'm guessing the "Steam anonymous" title has more to do with most of the people in this thread having the majority of their backlog on Steam, although it only accounts for about a quarter of mine. If you're working your way through a pile of purchases post away.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

thizzin forever posted:

I'm using it as a general backlog thread as there isn't a non-Steam backlog thread and splitting backlog stuff into two threads seems kind of silly to me. I'm guessing the "Steam anonymous" title has more to do with most of the people in this thread having the majority of their backlog on Steam, although it only accounts for about a quarter of mine. If you're working your way through a pile of purchases post away.

Okay, I'll keep that in mind for any games I finish in the future. Thanks.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

thizzin forever posted:

I'm about to finish The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom. The time manipulation mechanic is really neat and the art style is great and I really like this game except the timing on some of the stages is so tight as to be kind of frustrating. I did the first set of challenges and they were OK but I don't see myself doing anymore of them.

I applaud you. I really like Winterbottom but playing makes me feel really goddamn stupid.

I just beat DiRT: Showdown and man it's a shame it wasn't better. I like the idea of taking DiRT style gameplay and making it more arcadey but Codemasters needed to go farther and crazier with it. On a good note their EGO Engine is goddamn amazing. This is seriously one of the best looking racing games I've ever played and visually one of the most striking things I've ever played on my PC and it runs like butter. Lighting is outstanding, car deformation is great and I never get tired (heh) of blowing through a stack of tires during a race. That being said...

The racing is kind of boring. The game is super easy and never really presents a challenge until the last of four tournament levels but even then if you've played a racing game before you'll breeze through it. There are multiple events in the game but for some reason some events use real cars and some use fake ones. This makes the game feel schizophrenic as the whole dirt track demolition derby thing is obviously the focus but then for some reason you've still got Ken Block and his Gymkhana bullshit and in those you use real rally cars. Yes I get it Gymkhana looks real neat and I love watching the his videos but goddamn am I sick of playing it in games. It's boooooring.

On the demolition derby side with fake cars (which all look fantastic and are really well designed) there are two separate classes of events and each of those uses a different set of cars. There are straight up races and then there are Destruction Derby style figure eight and bowl events. The races are whatever, go fast and try not to wreck yadda yadda. There's really nothing interesting there but the other events really let you go wild and smash into things which really shows off the power of the EGO Engine...sort of.

You see all damage is purely cosmetic. Yes each car has a health bar which depletes as you slam into things but unlike the mighty Demolition Derby there's no strategy to slamming into other cars. You don't have to worry about targeting certain areas or making sure to keep your car safe. When that element of the game is removed it turns the whole car smashing thing into a shallow experience that's fun for a bit but gets old real fast. It also doesn't help that the scoring mechanic is real wonky. How many points you get for a hit depends on where you hit the other car and how hard. The where part is usually accurate but I've gotten BRUTAL hits going 10 mph and marked down to the barest tap going full speed. I don't get it and it kind of sucks sometimes.

You can blow through the campaign in about six hours and after that it's online you go if there's anyone playing, I haven't checked. And while it may seem like I hate the game I'm really more just let down by it. There was a real opportunity here to go absolutely nuts with the destruction and demolition and making something crazy and special but instead we get a toned down rally cross game with the same bullshit X-Games Ken Block nonsense from DiRT 3. I'd love it if Codemasters would get rid of that poo poo and focus on the down and dirty action but I doubt that will happen because I'm almost certain this game sold like junk.

e: oh and there's a special place in hell reserved for whatever voice actor did this game's announcer and everyone involved in writing his lines and coaching his vocals. it's seriously the worst poo poo i've ever heard in a game and every time he opened his mouth i died a little inside.

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 10, 2013

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

thizzin forever posted:

Yeah, the thread is basically made to help people play some games and let other people know when you beat/skip it and what you thought of it.

Even though I personally null a lot of games, it's always fun to spend 30 minutes to a couple of hours to see if a game you got in a bundle, as a gift or bought on a whim, is GOTY material or a turd, and this thread has definitely motivated me to play a lot more games than I would normally do, thus also work on bringing the amount of games I have in my backlog down.

Also, register on Backloggery and show us what you are playing.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Fart of Presto posted:

I've been on Backloggery for a while now. Feel free to add me to your multitaps.

thizzin forever
Apr 10, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

I applaud you. I really like Winterbottom but playing makes me feel really goddamn stupid.

If it makes you feel any better I feel really dumb too. I feel great in the initial moment after I finish a level then I realize I spent 15 minutes figuring out a 15 second puzzle. Still fun.

I'm disappointed in what you said about Dirt: Showdown. Dirt 3 is my favorite racing game ever and I loved Destruction Derby so I was really looking forward to that game but it sounds like they missed what made those games fun. I'll probably still pick it up during the summer sale or whatever but I'm not as excited as I was.

Fart of Presto posted:

It's not quite as bad as it seems because I don't count a game as finished until I beat it on normal settings and I don't count the games I beat as a kid but have re-purchased since then. It still adds up to my spending lots of money on games I haven't played but I'm working on that.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Progress! (In the way that taking two steps forward and one step back still counts as progress.)

Since last posting - A number of games started or beaten, and only three new games added cause Amazon Tony is a crack slinging game dealer that just can't be ignored at times. "Uninstalled - not played" steam folder shrinks from 121 to 113.

Beat - Alan Wake : I'm sure you all know about this. Absolutely loved it. Didn't get tired of the combat as some seem to have. Beautiful graphics, and a pretty drat entertaining atmosphere. Will likely be tackling American Nightmare soon enough.

Beat - The Ball : Meh. Was more of less bored by the end, but felt like finishing. Has bonus levels that I didn't even think of trying. Every single part of this game is done better in other games. Play it if you get it in a humble bundle or something, but don't expect much.

Beat - Crysis Warhead : Had re-played through Crysis and decided to do this while I was at it. Really it's more of the same, but I think I liked this a bit better for reasons I'm not sure of.

Beat - Homefront : What the Hell? Sticking to the positives. The graphics looks nice. The Golden Gate bridge level was fun. It took only 3 or so hours to get through the single player campaign. Other than that? lovely reputation solidly earned. Avoid.

Beat - Zombie Driver HD : Had played through the original a long time ago. Just wanted to drive over zombies for a bit, so I installed it. Enjoyable enough, though it's another game where I'd never bother trying for all the achievements.

Beat - Fallout New Vegas DLCs : After over a year break, I finally went back to play through the DLCs. Had left off half way through the first one, and spent the rest of that story trying to remember what the Hell I was doing. Definitely preferred "Old World Blues" and "Lonesome Road" to the others. If you like New Vegas, you may as well get all four. They each have their worthwhile parts. One big rear end complaint - I didn't play New Vegas until all of the DLCs were released, and I bought all of them together. Didn't play the DLCs missions until having played all the way through the main story. By that point though, you're pretty much WAY over powered for the enemies you run into. Especially during "Honest Hearts." If you're just starting out - try the DLC missions mid-main story. Wiki pages have recommended levels to try them.

Beat - Spec Ops : The Line : I quite liked it. I won't bore you with yet another goon going on and on about what they think it all meant or was trying to say. I'm sure there are dozens of places online where you can read people's takes on this game if you're interested. From a game play perspective though - it was a pretty decent 3rd person duck and cover shooter.

Most likely nulled - Helldorado : I installed this while kinda drunk one night. It now sits alone in a category called "gently caress This" that I don't really remember creating. Steam says I played it for four minutes. It either really sucks, or maybe it doesn't. Might check again later, but not for a while. Came in some indie bundle. Who knows.

Currently playing :
English Country Tune : Controls suck at times, and I'm pretty drat stuck about 6 hours in, but if you like puzzle games, I highly recommend it.

SpaceChem : ECT wasn't quite scratching my "I want to feel dumb" itch, so I reinstalled this. Put 55 or so hours in a year ago before hitting a big brick wall. Deleted my progfile and started over. Have flown through the first four planets this time around, and have been coming up with considerably faster solutions. Of course, I know drat well that the game hasn't even begun to get hard yet.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD : Sigh. Came up in the Winter Steam sale. Should have listened to people saying it isn't good. It's not. Attempts at old PS2 nostalgia are failing pretty badly after an hour of gameplay. Will likely null soon enough.

FUEL : Wanted to race cars around a big open environment. I guess it delivers, but it's oddly not that fun. Two hours in. Probably won't play much more.

Company of Heroes : Was in the mood for some kind of RTS game. Fun enough, I suppose, but not quite doing it for me 2 hours in. It may be Tropico time.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

FUEL : Wanted to race cars around a big open environment. I guess it delivers, but it's oddly not that fun. Two hours in. Probably won't play much more.

FUEL is the king of missed opportunity. The vehicles handle worse than any other racing game I can think of and the fact that there's no damage modeling at all and the collision polygons of each car is just a big rectangle makes the whole mixed class thing feel like poo poo. Yeah it's a big open world but compare FUEL to how the racing feels in a game like MotorStorm and it's like night and day.

Apparently this mod goes a long way in making FUEL not completely terrible but I haven't tried it yet.

Also I've fallen asleep twice trying to play The Ball. That's probably not a good sign.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I had planned to complete The Cave this weekend, but instead, I followed a co-worker's advice and bought Ni no Kuni for PS3. Holy poo poo is this game beautiful. I'm not a huge fan of the combat so far, but goddamn if I don't love Studio Ghibli animation. I'm completely fine with my decision to be sidetracked by this. I've only scratched the surface so far, but if anyone's been on the fence about it, give it a serious look for the graphics alone - you can get past the okay combat by playing on Easy.

Lavatein
May 5, 2009
New 100% achievements for this week:

Midnight Mysteries 2: Salem Witch Trials - Well MM1 was a pretty fun HOG but this one went off the rails a bit. They made it into a semi-adventure game where your items come from the hidden object scenes. This implementation of it didn't really work out, the adventuring was boring and too hard and the plot was too convoluted for me to care (or I might have just not cared from the start which meant I stopped paying attention to what was going on and got confused later). I don't want to knock it too much as I've already started playing MM3 and I can see that the formula has been improved, so I guess I'll chalk it up to early missteps. One of the achievements is bugged a bit, the 'finish a HOG scene in under a minute'. I did it on the courthouse scene twice before doing it on the graveyard scene, where it popped.

Fate of the World - Can't recommend this to anyone, every mission is a huge depressing slog where every country will hate you unless you focus all your efforts on them. Eventually you start to work out what the key indices are and you go on autopilot a bit. Every mission is more or less the same, for example, Africa is always going to start off underdeveloped and politically unstable, so you've always got to sort that out early. Can't see myself ever playing this again.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I had planned to complete The Cave this weekend, but instead, I followed a co-worker's advice and bought Ni no Kuni for PS3. Holy poo poo is this game beautiful. I'm not a huge fan of the combat so far, but goddamn if I don't love Studio Ghibli animation. I'm completely fine with my decision to be sidetracked by this. I've only scratched the surface so far, but if anyone's been on the fence about it, give it a serious look for the graphics alone - you can get past the okay combat by playing on Easy.

Combat gets a lot better once you get all the characters and learn all-out attack/defend. Now, this doesn't happen until literally 20 hours in but once you actually have some choice in familiars and you can regularly create things with alchemy the battles get a lot more enjoyable, bosses especially.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Finally finished Syberia II, which I postponed for quite a while after finishing the first game. It is OK for what it is - a somewhat simple adventure game focused on a more serious story involving a childhood dream with mammoths and automatons. It is dated and did not age very well, but it can be entertaining if you know what you are signing up for when you decide to play it.

I need to take a break from adventure games (they are enticing to finish since they are somewhat faster than the average game).

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Just beat The Bard's Tale (2004) thanks to inXile's generosity giving it to me for free for helping to kickstart Wasteland 2. I missed this game when it first came out, but it was pretty decent. The gameplay was a little on the repetitive side, standard overhead view action rpg, but the summoned minions were pretty neat and gave you a lot of different ways to approach battles, but the real draw of the game was the voice acting. Overall it was quite high quality, and Cary Elwes as the main character and an excellent narrator really helped the snarky fantasy parody fly. I laughed out loud a decent number of times, and was given quite a few more chuckles to boot. And two of the three endings are pretty sweet. Good times.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Finished Just Cause 2.

After using the 'stuff from the black market costs nothing' mod, it was pretty good, although also... fairly empty. I felt like I should be in this massive playground full of ridiculous fun I can have, but none of it really came together in a fun way. I could use my grappling hook to connect any two things and just watch the insanity ...Only either the line breaks too soon, or something's too heavy for proper hilarity to ensue. I really couldn't like the gunplay either, and traveling from A to B was always kind of boring because there just wasn't anything interesting in the interim.

Game was pretty fun when blowing poo poo up with triggered explosives though, and I liked how pretty it all was.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Finished my first play-through of Borderlands with a Soldier. Took me a little over 21 hours, and that's with doing every single quest I could find; ended up at level 36. Will probably move on to the DLC before maybe doing the second play-through. I'm having a lot of fun with it, despite doing single-player and some very annoying enemies (giant bugs that turn and expose their weak spot to you after shooting them? cliff-racers 2.0? Ugh). If/when I get bored with it, though, I'll move on to some other games I've started but haven't yet beaten, probably Two Worlds II.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Cleretic posted:

Finished Just Cause 2.

You missed the BoloPatch for Infinite Grapples and Unbreakable Grapples

And unlimited rocket-parachute booster (From the pretty much essential DLC)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Finished Deus Ex HR: Missing Link. Fun and short, and because you get your augs reset and the DLC is self-contained you get the option to experiment with different aug combination. It also fleshes out the "computer" issue a bit. Definitely worth playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Zedd posted:

You missed the BoloPatch for Infinite Grapples and Unbreakable Grapples

And unlimited rocket-parachute booster (From the pretty much essential DLC)

Even better, the Superman Flying mod lets you zip around through the air as a heavily-armed superhero villain, which completely changes the game and makes it hilariously fun.