Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Incredible Ed posted:

If you just want to play vanilla Settlers of Catan (and you should) the Catan app is definitely worth the price. You can buy expansions but they're pointless, since they don't at all match the board game experience.

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Holy poo poo. Shadow Era is obnoxious and not F2P at all. :psyduck: Are there any other alternatives?

I'm also wondering about other board/card games available on Android. I know Carcassonne is on there, and there's the usual Monopoly and Scrabble and such, but are there any other examples? Or turned based strategy, even? I love gaming on my phone, but I prefer games that let me play at my own pace.
Are there any online multiplayer-capable versions of these games yet, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

mrkillboy posted:

The Simpsons: Tapped Out is finally out on Android after having been on iOS for ages (it was actually meant to come out a year ago!). Its a free to play game that involves rebuilding Springfield after Homer blows it up or something.

Since its an EA published game here's the Rest of the World version. I'm having trouble finding the page for the North American version though so I'm not sure if its even out yet for you guys.

This just popped up in the Google Play store for Canada.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

shadok posted:

This just popped up in the Google Play store for Canada.
"This app is compatible with all of your (US) devices" hurray!

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Has anyone else played Devils Lawyer? I bought it out of sheer boredom and got hooked right away. Its unlike anything I've ever played and I was glued to it until I beat it. Not many games hold my attention like this one. I was kind of surprised how much I enjoyed it but the gameplay was rather short. Still worth the money in my opinion.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Devils Attorney for $2.99 you mean? I'm awfully bored myself and the premise is cool. I'm not sure if these are two separate games though, a lot of these apps have similar names.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Avocados posted:

Devils Attorney for $2.99 you mean? I'm awfully bored myself and the premise is cool. I'm not sure if these are two separate games though, a lot of these apps have similar names.

Yeah that's it. I have a hard time trying to explain it. Its one part turn based RPG one part sims in a court room setting. After I typed that out I realize it may sound utterly horrible but it could also just be my description.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Devil's Attorney was painfully dumb and easy but I was absolutely glued to it and wanted more when it was over. There's a potential there for a really, really good game that I hope they realize in a sequel.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Merrill Grinch posted:

Devil's Attorney was painfully dumb and easy but I was absolutely glued to it and wanted more when it was over. There's a potential there for a really, really good game that I hope they realize in a sequel.

I agree it was fairly easy and in retrospect I'm not sure why I too was glued to it.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Because it was presented in a really fun way. The battles were never particularly hard, and I think they could have given you more of a reason to replay it, but it was fun to actually see each new case presented and to move to the new locations and such.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Is there anything similar to it? Like same play style but perhaps not in a courtroom setting? I'm dying for more.

Also, has anyone here been an avid computer gamer who's spent more time gaming on their tablet or phone? I bought a nexus7 and pretty much stopped playing sc2/dota2 etc. I've been gaming on a PC for 20+ years and I'm kinda surprised I've bought into mobile gaming. I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this phenomena.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
A friend turned me on to Army of Darkness Defense a couple weeks ago. Cool use of the license, for fans of the movie. You, of course, play Ash.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.backflipstudios.android.aodd

Same type of game as several others I've played - move your character left and right while battling hordes. You can summon minions to help you fight, as well as use a few melee options and upgrade your fortress. It's freemium, but I made it through all 50 waves without spending a dime, and spending money on this game really would kind of kill the challenge anyway. After you're done with the standard waves, there's an endless mode.

Spoilers for those who are babies and don't like challenges

Once available, the cleric and smithy should get all your upgrade dollars
The fist and chainsaw upgrades are very, very good for getting a head start, good combination with the pit
Spend your money upgrading the swordsman to the max. He's useful to the end.
Don't waste your money on the starred special characters. You can only summon them one at a time, and a horde of lesser soldiers are a much better investment.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
So the Knights of Pen & Paper devs, Behold Studios, have a new game in the works, Duel Core.

It's basically competitive Star Command/FTL + Airmech/Herzog Zwei. I guess Action RTS is what you call this kind of game? Base building, research, resource gathering, infantry/turret building, etc. You play a commander unit robot dude, and can get into an upgradable plane and fly around out in space. It looks really fuckin' awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxCkky8Jan4

Right now it's local co-op only because it was made for an ouya game jam (try not to freak out) but they're planning on adding online multiplayer so I can't imagine it won't come to mobile at some point.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

When this gets released, someone change the thread title to The Android Gaming Megathread: Star Command was beaten to market.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

XboxPants posted:

It's basically competitive Star Command/FTL + Airmech/Herzog Zwei.

Ooooh. I quite liked Herzog Zwei, but didn't really "get" Airmech. Keeping an eye on this one for sure.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Is there a maximum number of times you can buy & refund the same game? I can't get the kairosoft pyramid game to work on my n7 :( I keep trying but it just won't run.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I think once.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Cakefool posted:

Is there a maximum number of times you can buy & refund the same game? I can't get the kairosoft pyramid game to work on my n7 :( I keep trying but it just won't run.

Unless they've changed it recently you get one refund.

E:f,b

Excalibur_Z
Oct 2, 2004

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Holy poo poo. Shadow Era is obnoxious and not F2P at all. :psyduck: Are there any other alternatives?

I'm also wondering about other board/card games available on Android. I know Carcassonne is on there, and there's the usual Monopoly and Scrabble and such, but are there any other examples? Or turned based strategy, even? I love gaming on my phone, but I prefer games that let me play at my own pace.

Would Puzzle Quest 2 be up your alley? On the Play Store it's free up to the end of the starting town (and about a 200MB download). The assets are the same ones used on the 360/PC version which is why it's so large, but it looks fabulous on high-res handsets (GS3, Nexus 4) and tablets (Nexus 10) that can really take advantage (devices below 480x800 resolution aren't supported). The primary hook is turn-based Match-3 RPG-themed combat. Individual classes are $1.99 to play beyond town or $3.99 (discounted from $4.99) for all classes. I'm slightly biased because I'm the producer on the project, but it's one of the few mobile games that really hooked me (the only other games I play on my phone are Wordfeud [the Scrabble clone] and Shining Force 1+2 and Phantasy Star 4 via emulator).

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
I just played a bit of Vector, a newly released side scrolling free running/parkour game. It's definitely one to check out; its got a really awesome art style and presentation, and while the gameplay is easy to pick up its also quite challenging. It's free but you can unlock the deluxe version for 99 cents.

In other news, Metal Slug 2 is also out for all you Metal Slug fans.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

I assume Metal Slug is impossible with virtual controls? It's hard enough with real ones.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah, I'm struggling to think of a worse way to play Metal Slug. I highly doubt it supports keyboards or gamepads.

And is it really MS2? Not MSX? Which was MS2 but fixed and way the gently caress better? SNK are strange sometimes, but I guess that's what happens when you're run by a pachinko company.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Civil posted:

A friend turned me on to Army of Darkness Defense a couple weeks ago. Cool use of the license, for fans of the movie. You, of course, play Ash.

This game is stupid fun. Having a total blast playing it.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

kstatix posted:

Is there anything similar to it? Like same play style but perhaps not in a courtroom setting? I'm dying for more.

Also, has anyone here been an avid computer gamer who's spent more time gaming on their tablet or phone? I bought a nexus7 and pretty much stopped playing sc2/dota2 etc. I've been gaming on a PC for 20+ years and I'm kinda surprised I've bought into mobile gaming. I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this phenomena.

I used to be all about consoles. I still game about 2-3 hours a day, but it's in bed or after work before wife and daughter get home. It's quick, it's easy, I don't have to sit through 8 splash screens and login processes. I just load up Puzzle and Dragons and pray for good drops. I think that one of the great things about mobile games coming into their own is that folks who grew up gaming, but don't have the time for a game that requires 100% attention, have something to scratch their itch. I'd still love to see more console-style-but-made-bite-sized games. Why there aren't A MILLION Final Fantasy Tactics clones on android is COMPLETELY baffling.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

aga. posted:

I assume Metal Slug is impossible with virtual controls? It's hard enough with real ones.

I have Metal Slugs 1 and 3 and they are indeed playable with the onscreen controls.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, I'm struggling to think of a worse way to play Metal Slug.

How about tilt control to move forward and shaking the phone to shoot?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

JesusDoesVegas posted:

How about tilt control to move forward and shaking the phone to shoot?

Ugh. I tried the tilt controls in.. I think it was R-Type. Yeah, wow. No.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

aga. posted:

I had the first Metal Slug on a dumb-phone. Arrow buttons around the OK button to move, OK to jump, and soft buttons for grenades and shooting. And goddamnit, I could beat it. I also had and beat the original Sonic the Hedgehog with a similar control set. It wasn't easy though, the Labyrinth Zone boss was a goddamn nightmare. Hell, all of Labyrinth Zone was a loving nightmare.

deadwing fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 8, 2013

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Are there any worthwhile JRPGs for Android discounting the Final Fantasy ports? Just something I could do a little grinding in while I wait for the bus or if class gets particularly boring or something? I know it's kind of a niche market on kind of a niche platform (relative to iOS), but I gotta figure there are at least some JRPG nerds out there who make Android games.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Kemco games are really about it. They're old school Final Fantasy games to a fault generally. Can also run emulators for just about any platform from PSX on back depending on your phone.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Philip Rivers posted:

Are there any worthwhile JRPGs for Android discounting the Final Fantasy ports? Just something I could do a little grinding in while I wait for the bus or if class gets particularly boring or something? I know it's kind of a niche market on kind of a niche platform (relative to iOS), but I gotta figure there are at least some JRPG nerds out there who make Android games.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mutekicorp.DragonFantasy

Dragon Fantasy is a bit silly, but it's a great little game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

shymog posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mutekicorp.DragonFantasy

Dragon Fantasy is a bit silly, but it's a great little game.

I'll second that. Dragon Fantasy is great and has a wonderful sense of humour/parody to it.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

mrkillboy posted:

I just played a bit of Vector, a newly released side scrolling free running/parkour game. It's definitely one to check out; its got a really awesome art style and presentation, and while the gameplay is easy to pick up its also quite challenging. It's free but you can unlock the deluxe version for 99 cents.

Jesus, I bought the deluxe after the first level just based on the presentation and polish. Fun to look at, animation is very nice, and it has a solid style that's just the right shade of Mirror's Edge for what I want.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Pixel Dungeon is fun but it sorta feels like it hinges too much on luck, even more than other roguelikes I've played. Basically if you don't have an upgraded weapon/armor by the time crabs show up (which can be early as floor 2) you're hosed, and there's really no way out of it. I beat the game once when I stumbled across a +2 mace and a +2 leather armor (followed by a +3 plate mail around floor 8) early on and just pretty much dozed through the entire game, while every other time the sight of a crab or, God forbid, a skeleton, made me start sweating.

Mob issues aside, it is really annoying to go over each and every block of a wall where you think a door might be while spamming "search" to get a hidden door.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

mrkillboy posted:

This looks amazing, but I initially thought I'd misremembered the name because searching for it on the play store reveals exactly jack poo poo. Any idea why it isn't showing up? The direct link works fine. Also, is the deluxe unlocker an IAP or a separate app on the play store (if it's separate I can't find that either).

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

Why there aren't A MILLION Final Fantasy Tactics clones on android is COMPLETELY baffling.

I know :( I keep telling myself I can't, I just can't play FFTA for the millionth time. It seems like as an easy formula to replicate as any other.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

kstatix posted:

Yeah, same here. I have touched my pc exactly three times since Christmas.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

Pixel Dungeon is fun but it sorta feels like it hinges too much on luck, even more than other roguelikes I've played. Basically if you don't have an upgraded weapon/armor by the time crabs show up (which can be early as floor 2) you're hosed, and there's really no way out of it. I beat the game once when I stumbled across a +2 mace and a +2 leather armor (followed by a +3 plate mail around floor 8) early on and just pretty much dozed through the entire game, while every other time the sight of a crab or, God forbid, a skeleton, made me start sweating.

Mob issues aside, it is really annoying to go over each and every block of a wall where you think a door might be while spamming "search" to get a hidden door.

I feel the same way. I keep playing it, and I think I'm playing it the ideal way (collecting all loot, identifying everything when it's safe, using the best equipment), but I get beat down so easily from the most unfortunate circumstances. When I lose, I rarely feel it's because I played the level wrong.

Still, it's compelling, and I keep beating my head against this wall.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

Why there aren't A MILLION Final Fantasy Tactics clones on android is COMPLETELY baffling.

Assuming you don't mind gigantic size, Hyperdevbox ported over Spectral Souls, Blazing Souls Accelate, and Generation of Chaos. They're pricey, but absolutely worth it. Lots of playtime, high quality, well-ported, and generally good games, even if they are a bit hard to get into at first.

Now if only someone would port Hoshigami.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Civil posted:

I feel the same way. I keep playing it, and I think I'm playing it the ideal way (collecting all loot, identifying everything when it's safe, using the best equipment), but I get beat down so easily from the most unfortunate circumstances. When I lose, I rarely feel it's because I played the level wrong.

Still, it's compelling, and I keep beating my head against this wall.
I'm guessing you've never played NetHack or other roguelikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I'm guessing you've never played NetHack or other roguelikes.

Christ, no, I loving hate them, they're terrible. The only reason I'm wasting time on this game is because it's so accessible and it kills me in about the time it takes for a toilet break.

• Locked thread